2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Kananaskis Country Golf Course - Closed for the Season

El Santo

It's a shame but the word is out. Kananaskis is closed for the season due to flooding. This facility, consistently ranked in the top 50 Canadian Set ups, has been shut down by flood damage. It's a real shame that folks won't have the opportunity to play here any time in the near future. I'm sure that the good folks there will spring back.

http://www.kananaskisgolf.com/

I play so bad, but it feels so good!
WITB Link

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scarier thought is that it might not open at all.

Been a tough past 3 years out this way, so we'll have to just wait and see. If the current management company balks, hopefully somebody else will pick it up.

Biggest hurdle will be who pays for it??? Tough for the government to dump millions into a golf course when there are people without their homes.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1372316877' post='7332748']
Wow...thx for the pics.
I believe 12 courses have been affected.
Canmore G&CC must be gone too.

Banff tourism must be non-existent now and likely throughout the summer and the Stampede is affected.
[/quote]

No, Canmore is ok. We played Tues night and they had 12 holes open (entire front was open but old 2). We should be fully open tonight or by the weekend.

Highway 1 reopened last night, so while we expect a dip, it should be decent.

Stampede is a go and brandishing a new tag line "Hell or High Water".

We're pretty resilient out here in Alberta.

First I'll update for Stewart Creek in Canmore, opening the Front 9 tomorrow for members and Monday July 1st for guest. Have the option to only play 9 or play Frontx2 for the full 18. Back 9 has a lot of damage but they are confident for a mid July open for the back.

I was a Pro at Kananaskis for 4 seasons, and worked in the backshop 1 season prior to that. It's absolutely devastating what's happened to that immaculate piece of property. It was my home for 5 years and steps away from our houses we lived in is an absolute war zone. The course is consumed with rocks, trees, branches, and other debris, the damage to the landscape is indescribable, it's an absolute shame.

From talking to the guys who were there this season 34/36 holes had some form of major damage. The unaffected holes were Kidd #3 above the river and Kidd #15 (nearest hole to the houses). The boys had one final round on #15 before everyone departed to go their separate ways, and that could potentially be the last round ever played on this breathtaking piece of property.

Kan-Alta Golf Management who has managed the course since it's inception has a lease with the Alberta Government until 2019. Meetings have been held this past week but obviously no future plans have been revealed or even considered until they can assess the entire scale of the damage. Currently you can't access most of the course because of water levels.

Head Pro said 2015 at the EARLIEST...heard a few options like the Government selling the course (won't happen), building back 18 then the other 18 down the road, and the most realistic option; never opening again.

Tough decisions coming for some people and a place that completely changed my life. What's lost in this is are the 150 employees who are now out of work and scrambling to find jobs in the heart of the golf season, they have come from all over the world to work in K Country.

Most importantly all the houses, staff and families that live down there were undamaged and uninjured which in all of this is the most important thing.

The pictures and videos I've received from the staff are absolutely incredible but devastating at the same time.

[quote name='wholeinwon ' timestamp='1372473114' post='7345570']
First I'll update for Stewart Creek in Canmore, opening the Front 9 tomorrow for members and Monday July 1st for guest. Have the option to only play 9 or play Frontx2 for the full 18. Back 9 has a lot of damage but they are confident for a mid July open for the back.

I was a Pro at Kananaskis for 4 seasons, and worked in the backshop 1 season prior to that. It's absolutely devastating what's happened to that immaculate piece of property. It was my home for 5 years and steps away from our houses we lived in is an absolute war zone. The course is consumed with rocks, trees, branches, and other debris, the damage to the landscape is indescribable, it's an absolute shame.

From talking to the guys who were there this season 34/36 holes had some form of major damage. The unaffected holes were Kidd #3 above the river and Kidd #15 (nearest hole to the houses). The boys had one final round on #15 before everyone departed to go their separate ways, and that could potentially be the last round ever played on this breathtaking piece of property.

Kan-Alta Golf Management who has managed the course since it's inception has a lease with the Alberta Government until 2019. Meetings have been held this past week but obviously no future plans have been revealed or even considered until they can assess the entire scale of the damage. Currently you can't access most of the course because of water levels.

Head Pro said 2015 at the EARLIEST...heard a few options like the Government selling the course (won't happen), building back 18 then the other 18 down the road, and the most realistic option; never opening again.

Tough decisions coming for some people and a place that completely changed my life. What's lost in this is are the 150 employees who are now out of work and scrambling to find jobs in the heart of the golf season, they have come from all over the world to work in K Country.

Most importantly all the houses, staff and families that live down there were undamaged and uninjured which in all of this is the most important thing.

The pictures and videos I've received from the staff are absolutely incredible but devastating at the same time.
[/quote]

A huge hit to the Calgary golf community

Titleist TS2 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

TaylorMade M2 3 wood
Ping G5 4 Hybrid Grafalloy ProLuanch Blue Stiff
Titleist AP3 ProjectX LZ 6.0
Titleist Volkey SM7: 48,54
Odyssey Works #7

• 3 weeks later...

Took a walk around the course today. The devastation is astounding up close. Two of the attached pics are from the lookout up top by the putting green. The third one is the driving range from the teeing area. Was sad to see such a fantastic place almost completely destroyed.

For those in the area, they are having a great sale trying to clear out their inventory in the pro shop. Lots of great items.

That is terrible, I lived in Ab for 12 years and loved Kananaskis.

Those pics above actually look better than I thought they would, I hope the govt rebuilds.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV