Rounds with a Vintage Bag

"[color=#282828]If you believed everything you read, there are cheeses available with more staying power than modern golf clubs. I love it that the fifth column is alive and kicking here."[/color]

[color=#282828]Well said, and true. [/color]

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1441485991' post='12268850']
There is a whole slew of articles on the main part of this site with the subliminal (and sometimes not so subliminal) thesis - "You're doing yourself a grave disservice trying to play with anything more than 8 months old." If you believed everything you read, there are cheeses available with more staying power than modern golf clubs. I love it that the fifth column is alive and kicking here.
[/quote]

[quote name='TimV' timestamp='1441496186' post='12269442']
[color=#282828]Well said, and true. [/color]
[/quote]

It always amuses me greatly when I read posts talking about "playing older clubs," and they're almost always talking about something 3-5 years old. LOL

Maybe I should dig out the all Ram bag for my Monday round... go Dr/3w, or even Dr/3w/4w, in Ram persimmons, play one of the Ram blade sets, and load up the Ram TW Custom blade putter. Could be fun.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Now that the Seattle Cup is over( [url="http://jacksonparkmensgolfclub.org/?p=2402"]http://jacksonparkmensgolfclub.org/?p=2402[/url]) I am getting the Classic stix out. Played today at my home track from the Blue tees. 6085 yrds/ 121 slope. Drove the ball inconsistent. Iron play I felt was good. Pitching wedge was in a good zone today with what ever type of shot I hit with it. Putting ok use a bulleseye with modern set and classic set so no difference.
Here is the game golf link to the round:
[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/vintage70sjimmyB/round/569405"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/vintage70sjimmyB/round/569405[/url]
Note this game golf ID is for my classic stix. My signature link is for modern clubs.
Get to play rather nice course 9/6 and am looking forward to hitting the classics on that course!!
Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:

[quote]If you believed everything you read, there are cheeses available with more staying power than modern golf clubs.[/quote]

An easy choice for one of the top five statements made here this year! A poetic analogy!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OK round today at one of my favorite tracks!
The Home Course in DuPont, WA. It is home of the Pacific NW golf association and Washington State Golf association. Sister course to Chambers Bay and about a third of the price. Enough about the place I feel comfortable at.
The round score +11 FWYS 64% GIR 44% p/ Hole 2.11 10 % scrambling.
Putts killed me, these greens are nothing to what I am used to playing on. Judging iron distances need some work. Drives where straight ending out there around 230-250.
X-31 woods/ button back Irons/ dyna power 56*/60* wedges(didn't use the 60). Wide flange bullseye putter. BS E-6 on the front 9 WS Duo on the back.Still prefer the Duo coming off the woods and irons.

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/vintage70sjimmyB/round/571922"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/vintage70sjimmyB/round/571922[/url]

Jimmy B :smilie_wilson:

Ok my wife and I are both on vacation this week. We have a course here called Wicked Stick which I absolutely love. It is a wide open links design also a John Daly signature course. It will be closing for good the 15th of this month to make room for gasp! another shopping mall. My wife wants to play it one more time before the end so we are. I was in the shop this morning boxing up a set of clubs to send out tomorrow. Looked over the pure vintage bag and thought why not? Play vintage our last round there. Here is the line up
Driver Toney Penna Model 65 HM-55 Aldila graphite. This club has a history with both the previous owner and I--- It was one of the last persimmon woods played on the PGA Tour and the last played on the minis by me. this was actually my main line gamer up until 02
4 Wood-- Macgregor MT Tourney Custom aluminum face 5 screw
1 Iron 985 Tourney Custom
Irons 3 thru9 Macgregor CF-400s MT-2 Pro Pel 2 shafts
PW -- Hogan PC Equalizer
SW -- Wilson JP 2 Custom Tour Grind
Putter-- Undecided between Nicklaus JNP or 1972 Ping Anser you guys give opinions on this
Bag --- Pristine Macgregor green and white mini staff
I figured I would play the last rounds in style for the memories
Edit I did not play the driver on the PGA Tour myself but played the minis with it. A guy named Chris Tucker from Charlotte played it I played comp against him in high school and he played the tour some in the late 80s early 90s. He gave me that driver in 93 and I front line gamed it until 02.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Nice vintage collection of sticks for the round today Big Stu. Hope you and the Mrs. enjoy yourselves.

As to your ?, as mentioned in the classic putter thread, I've been using a Mac JN Muirfield (8802 style) of late. If the JNP is similar (w/o googling for a pic), that's my vote.

Our just take both. I've been known to have two putters in the bag on occasion. Maybe today.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1441640518' post='12275756']
Nice vintage collection of sticks for the round today Big Stu. Hope you and the Mrs. enjoy yourselves.

As to your ?, as mentioned in the classic putter thread, I've been using a Mac JN Muirfield (8802 style) of late. If the JNP is similar (w/o googling for a pic), that's my vote.

Our just take both. I've been known to have two putters in the bag on occasion. Maybe today.
[/quote]Yep the JNP 271 is an 8802 style and I have been thinking (dangerous) since I posted and think I will lean towards that. Also with your thought I may go to an all Macgregor bag and pack the Muirfield PW and 53 Tommy Armour 55* groove sole SW. Actually I could do as you suggested and take both since as it sits I only have 13 clubs in the bag. we are playing Wednesday because it is raining in Biblical proportions here today

Big Stu, I've tried to look up the Jack Nicklaus JN putter but all I can find is an Anser-style flat stick, if you want to use two Anser-style putters, go for it!!!

I used two putters for a good while, a RAM 20th Anniversary Zebra and my trusty Wilson Tour Special II, I'd use the RAM for longer lag putts and the TSII for sinking 'em.

BTW, when I was looking for your putter on the 'bay, I ran across this oddity!! I think this "White Fang" looks like Formica plus has anyone ever heard of Eastern?

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Jack-Nicklaus-Putter-White-Fang-/321856600329"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Jack-Nicklaus-Putter-White-Fang-/321856600329[/url]

:wave:

Kathy Marie

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1441641536' post='12275832']
Big Stu, I've tried to look up the Jack Nicklaus JN putter but all I can find is an Anser-style flat stick, if you want to use two Anser-style putters, go for it!!!

I used two putters for a good while, a RAM 20th Anniversary Zebra and my trusty Wilson Tour Special II, I'd use the RAM for longer lag putts and the TSII for sinking 'em.

BTW, when I was looking for your putter on the 'bay, I ran across this oddity!! I think this "White Fang" looks like Formica plus has anyone ever heard of Eastern?

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Jack-Nicklaus-Putter-White-Fang-/321856600329"]http://www.ebay.com/...g-/321856600329[/url]

:wave:

Kathy Marie
[/quote]KM-- that Nicklaus JN-271 is an 8802 style in fact the Muirfield that Fella mentioned is a second issue of that putter. The white fang in the beginning was a Bulls Eye that Nicklaus actually used why they painted it white to begin with who knows? Macgregor later produced their version of it and it was god awful. The paint was sorta rubberized and peeled off after a few rounds. I have not seen one pristine in years. In fact Moaning M posted a pic of one some time back in another thread on here and his is pristine the only one I have seen. The one you posted from E-bay may have very well been a real White Fang with the paint flecked off. In fact that one was a special one created by the Macgregor custom Shop for Eastern Airlines which is defunct now but their base of ops was Charlotte and Atlanta. I think my dad who was a Macgregor dealer at the time may have had something to do on that deal because I remember seeing several in a shipment one time because one of the wheels with Eastern played golf there a lot. Actually if I remember correctly the Eastern on the sole was in blue which was their colors blue and white

Ok all this got me thinking--- Danger again me thinking-- I decided to go all Macgregor with the exception of the TP driver. went to the warehouse amongst all my wedges found a Nicklaus personal 56* SW and the Muirfield PW. I have no idea where the SW came from but I know I have never gamed it because it was too flat for me. Of course I set it. I got to thinking I have just the Mac putter for the occasion my old IM_5 Ironmaster. It was in the closet in the house because it is one of my sentimental clubs that I had from high school and it had nothing to do with my old man. It actually came from one of his friends named Kenny who was a Mac man through and through. Kenny was a Mac collector and through him I grew to love Mac clubs and got my education from him. He gave me that club to play with. My Dad asked if I had paid him for it and I said we would make a trade later on. I was back there messing with one of my lockers full of Mac stuff and Kenny saw an CF wedge and wanted it so naturally I gave it to him deal done. We ended up loosing him to cancer about 5 years later. In fact that club has a nickname like many of my beloved ones do simply Kenny. I figured it is a fitting tribute to play the last round on a great course with Kenny in the bag. I hope the real Kenny is looking down and grinning about that

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1441485991' post='12268850']
Harvey Penick wrote in his book that this is what tends to happen - but I'm still surprised (in the most pleasant way) that it seems to be happening to me.

HP said that improved scores don't happen gradually, they come in fits and starts. As one or other part of your game improves, whole chunks of strokes get trimmed from your average round as you learn to stay out of the right rough, get out of bunkers, or hole 4 foot putts.

Since getting down to a handicap of 10 as a junior before all sorts of adult pursuits got in the way, all I've really wanted to do in golf is play to a solid single digit index. Almost certainly linked to the claim Hogan made in 5 Lessons, that a fundamentally sound swing should have the average player scoring regularly in the 70s.

Well, even though I understand the retaliation from the golfing gods that is likely to be promptly visited upon me for such hubris, I'm cautiously tempted to claim that I may have made the breakthrough.

Since getting back from the family (non-golfing) holiday in July - I've turned in a succession of scores between 73 and 78 and nothing higher. That's covered social games, a handful of club competitions off the back, games away from home, Apex IIs, Redlines, MTs, persimmon and for the club competitions, a white-washed biscuit tin.

Happy days, to be able to honestly report that I've never had the golfing so good. Getting there with a bag that's more or less full of classic clubs has added considerably to the fun. I don't play with or see hardly anyone on the course who shares the enthusiasm we have here for all things elegant, intractable and apt to sting a bit. This place is the best for encouraging ordinary golfers that we're not over-reaching when we put classic clubs in the bag, nor are we conceding hopes of improving our game where it counts - above the grip.

There is a whole slew of articles on the main part of this site with the subliminal (and sometimes not so subliminal) thesis - "You're doing yourself a grave disservice trying to play with anything more than 8 months old." If you believed everything you read, there are cheeses available with more staying power than modern golf clubs. I love it that the fifth column is alive and kicking here.
[/quote]

Congrats on your solid play, B-S! It is quite satisfying to reach that level when one has striven for it so long. I'm not quite there but am close.

I didn't make it out for over a week after my last hot round, and when I did it was only to receive my comeuppance. I recovered from a poor drive on the first to make birdie on a short par 5 but then doubled the next 3 holes, egad! On holes 2 and 3 I foozled my drives consecutively -- each traveling less than 100 yards. Getting off the tee is usually my strong suit but recently I have been struggling a bit and on this day it came to a head. By the time we got rained out on #12 I had hit only 2 out of 9 fairways and it was a bit of relief, actually, to call it a day. I was +9 at that point.

One good bit of news I'd like to share, though: I've made my first convert to vintage clubs. A couple of months ago I fixed up a set of 1974 MacGregors for a friend of mine; checking lofts, flattening lies, and re-gripping. He actually bought them almost two years ago around the same time I got into vintage golf. But he lost interest in them about the time they were delivered, I think. They've been sitting in his basement since then. He had also picked up some random persimmons - all Macs from the 1980's.

He started out by hitting the range with the irons, and from the start he kept telling me how good they felt compared to his modern titleists. They are also much heavier and stiffer, having the Pro Pel #1's in them, and that seems to have tamed his hook into a more domesticated draw.

Finally he worked up the courage to play them for an entire round and I believe he's hooked now. He's even gone full vintage, using a 2, 3, and 4 wood in persimmon. He raves about how much feel he has now when he plays. Well, yeah, that's what I've been trying to tell you!

That's the good news. However, here's the bad part (for me): I had been on a nearly two year uninterrupted run of beating him. As long as he was playing moderns I could count on him hooking half a dozen shots off the map with his driver and/or hybrids. Now, not so much. He's beaten me the last two times out.

My wife warned me this would happen.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Well it was a great day today. My wife and myself ended up playing Wicked Stick. I played with the before mentioned set up. Played great from the "middle tees" at 6100 yards on a wet course CPO. Hit the old Penna good never missed a fairway all day. According to my range finder I did hit a couple 250 but my average was 235 not bad for an old fat fart hitting a 30 year old driver. The big surprise was the MT Custom 4 wood I found at work a couple of weeks ago. Man I can nut that thing with no effort was hitting it in the neighbor hood of 200 210 all day. I am seriously thinking about replacing my beloved Cally steel head 3 wood in the regular gamers with it. The Nicklaus 56 was not bad either hits great and I hit some good shots with it today. Shot 37 40 77 on a par 72 not bad. Putting was not too bad I was around the hole all day just could not get anything to fall but it has been that way for me all this summer no matter what I putted with. All in all a good day but maybe not farewell for us on that course yet. We had so much fun my wife wants to do it again. I did stumble a little on the last 3 holes bogey on all 3 of them but I was getting tired due to the CPO and having to hit the old Pro Pels a little hard.
Fixing to go to bed because even with my braces on my ankles are swollen like balloons and I just took some iboproph PM and I am soaking them now as I type

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1441780445' post='12286008']
Sorry to hear about Wicked Stick closing Stu. Another of my sentimental favorites scratched and folding their tent. Between the ones your way that closed, or changed that I used to play....well, progress is a good thing...right?
[/quote]OH I am going to sound like an old fogie but IMHO progress is a biotch! The Stick was wet yesterday but the greens were soft short and slow and the traps had no sand . I just wished it had been dry and hard then it would have been perfect. I told my wife yesterday I wish I had played it more. They did not close from lack of play that is for sure. Supposedly the land sold for more than you could make running it as a golf course.I asked my buddy who is the GM over the whole group that bought the 21 courses here. He said basically that they bought 3 courses for the price Wicked Stick sold for!

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1441789871' post='12286136']
Wow, I thought it had continued to be played and always seemed like there was a parking lot full when I passed by on 17.
Have we been getting lots of rain back home?
[/quote]Oh yeah it was always crowded especially in the Tourist Golf season. yep we have gotten quite a bit of rain in the last week or so. Last week we got quite a bit from the remmanants of that tropical storm that petered out and a low front stalled out. In fact in Chucky Town the weekend before Labor Day weekend they had some flooding from what I saw on the news. Wicked Stick from the way it was built to begin with has never drained good period. It and Heron Point (now closed) were the worst two draining courses here

A favored local public golf course is closing after this season. Per their webpage, was designed in 1929 (doesn't say when it opened). All I know is that it's been there for my lifetime and I have many rounds on it. Rolling hills, fairly open, plays about 6200 from the whites, good condition for all the rounds played there. Many rumors over the last several years of it closing. Now it's a done deal and a certainty.

Surrounded by McMansions now, in an area that once was farmland and orchards. Property had to be worth a mint. Progress.

With Big Stu as inspiration, the Mrs. and I need to make a point of playing it one last time this fall.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1441790965' post='12286150']
A favored local public golf course is closing after this season. Per their webpage, was designed in 1929 (doesn't say when it opened). All I know is that it's been there for my lifetime and I have many rounds on it. Rolling hills, fairly open, plays about 6200 from the whites, good condition for all the rounds played there. Many rumors over the last several years of it closing. Now it's a done deal and a certainty.

Surrounded by McMansions now, in an area that once was farmland and orchards. Property had to be worth a mint. Progress.

With Big Stu as inspiration, the Mrs. and I need to make a point of playing it one last time this fall.
[/quote]Yep you need to do that. When Bay Tree closed here about 10 years ago I took a week of vacation to play those 3 courses every day because I loved that place. I remember the last day there the Pro asked me had I not been there every day that week. I told him yes because I loved those courses. He told me have at it for free the last day play all day to dark as much as you want. That I did. I can remember that day the snack bar was already closed down but another friend of mine owned a deli up the road and delivered so I bought lunch for us and had it delivered.

Following the discussion in [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1236048-indecision-is-ruthlesstalk-me-into-it-or-out-of-it/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1236048-indecision-is-ruthlesstalk-me-into-it-or-out-of-it/[/url] I took a mash-up bag of vintage and moderns to the charity scramble I played in yesterday at Willow Valley Golf Links. This is the fourth year I have participated with the same group of fellows. Appropriately, it would seem for playing a links course, we got the privilege of playing in less than ideal, soggy conditions, persistent rain and a cold driving east wind -- perfect [i]Old World[/i] golf conditions I would say!

The course conditions were such that the 5800+ yd length from the whites played more like 6500 yd! There were several instances where the ball would plug and then pop out backwards! This made for a big challenge for a bunch of older guys that are distance challenged to begin with. I felt as though I was hitting 7 wood all day long on approach shots! You know it was bad when I hit as good a drive as I had all day and I still couldn't reach the women's long drive on that particular hole! It really didn't turn out to be much of a test for my vintage irons as all we seemed to be doing all day was hitting driver; fairway and then a short iron or wedge from under 100 yds. I doubt we made a single par 4 in regulation yet somehow we managed to shoot one under! My playing partners looked at me like I was nuts when I teed up the driver for a 185 yd par 3 with the pin tucked in the back on the upper level, but my ball was the only one that made it back there with 3Ws coming up 30 yds. short! It was definitely a day for unconventional golf! Half the teams bailed after nine holes and of the rest the stuck it out our score was far from the poorest of the 165 or so in attendance. The beauty of it all was that we were finished in just about 4 hours which is kind of unheard of for a scramble that's doubled up on several holes.

As far as my own play, outside of an old off-set Cobra 7W that I pulled out of the closet to use for the day, nothing is worth noting. But, that old -- well really not that old as it's mid 2000's -- Cobra was as much fun as I've had hitting a fairway all year! Perhaps a new frontline gamer for the fall season when playing modern woods.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yes OSR, despite the trials and tribulations, we had a blast! Lots of good natured ribbing that had more to do with mother nature than it did with golf! Perhaps it was the freedom of playing with no expectation. Based on past experience, we had no realistic chance to win for whatever that would be worth, so we weren't standing around spending eons reading putts as if it was the U.S. Open or fretting over shots which I can assure you took place based on casual observation. Knowing this going in, I only bothered to carry 11 clubs -- D, 7W, 5h, 5-SW and putter. When the weather worsened as we started our back nine, we elected to play efficiency golf, being the first decent shot would be used and no one else bothered to hit. This worked great because the course was relatively open due to the abandons.

Top that off with a terrific steak dinner and a generous helping of warming libations and it was a great outing indeed. They even sent me home with an Old Skool sock headcover for participating and a Masters ball marker, divot tool and scorecard holder as a draw prize!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Finally got the goosenecks out for a 9 and an 18 in the last 10 days. Interesting clubs, though I wouldn't say I'm a fan yet.

Billy Casper putter is money though, as is my Wilson Harmonized Dual Wedge.

Nothing really spectacular to report other than the goosenecks are forgiving (as advertised). They are also prone to causing me to hook the ball as I'm not used to the offset they have.

Have a networking round tomorrow, and think the Hogans will be coming back out.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1442262342' post='12312972']
Finally got the goosenecks out for a 9 and an 18 in the last 10 days. Interesting clubs, though I wouldn't say I'm a fan yet.

Billy Casper putter is money though, as is my Wilson Harmonized Dual Wedge.

Nothing really spectacular to report other than the goosenecks are forgiving (as advertised). They are also prone to causing me to hook the ball as I'm not used to the offset they have.

Have a networking round tomorrow, and think the Hogans will be coming back out.
[/quote]

Scott - now you're talking! Mr. Hogan is smiling down on you!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Had a couple of rounds up in Scotland whilst up there for a family wedding. Super eye-o-matic driver, three and four wood with a half-set of Haig Ultra, R91 wedge and Wilson 8833 putter.

First was around course at the Westerwood resort between Glasgow and Sterling. Post-celebrations so everyone was a little worse for wear. Played okay, but a bit of a Mickey Mouse course. Designed by Seve and... well... just had a couple of joke holes. Also a bit of a mountain-goat and some long walks between greens and tees. Not really my bag. Also worryingly close to a small air-field. Not saying the planes were close, but one of the pilots had blue eyes.

Have been threatening to play Hamilton with a mate who is a member for years (he is also a member at Troon, so guess where we normally go?) and finally got round to it. Beyond Gleneagles, maybe Ladybank, Scotland is not known for its inland parkland golf, but this is lovely. Re-modelled by Braid in the 1920s and a nice traditional course that would hold its own against a lot of parkland tracks I have played.

Level for sixteen of the holes and played the other two like a beginner. Kind of my game at the moment. Had back-to-back birdies early on in the back nine to just about redeem myself from a double-bogey at the second, then hit my five iron approach into the next twenty feet. Not to twenty feet. Twenty feet. Like the Haigs though and the super eye-o-matics are... well... super.

First kilt experience at the wedding. Sweating bullets with the tweed waistcoat and jacket, only marginally helped out by the undercarriage ventilation. I am sure I would have appreciated it had it been a normal summer day in Scotland, but it was sunny.

[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1442271346' post='12313530']
[/quote]

Well Alan, Mr. Hogan literally took a piss on me yesterday. Worst round I've shot in a very long time, and likely north of the century mark.

As much as I love my vintage clubs, I certainly could have used some forgiveness yesterday. Thinking with the current state of my game that playing my blades is a bit of an adventure in masochism.

Bullseye Mallet almost took a ride into a pond yesterday. Most frustrated I've been with a round in ages. Not one par on a day where a bogey felt like victory.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1442417999' post='12322016']
[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1442271346' post='12313530']
[/quote]

Well Alan, Mr. Hogan literally took a piss on me yesterday. Worst round I've shot in a very long time, and likely north of the century mark.

As much as I love my vintage clubs, I certainly could have used some forgiveness yesterday. Thinking with the current state of my game that playing my blades is a bit of an adventure in masochism.

Bullseye Mallet almost took a ride into a pond yesterday. Most frustrated I've been with a round in ages. Not one par on a day where a bogey felt like victory.
[/quote]

Consider that "Hogan holy water"!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS