2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Our first medal of the season tomorrow. No growth, unless you consider mud as a living entity. It's snowing 400 ft above us on the hills and forecast wind is out of the north. My front line clubs went in for basic loft and lies, turns out the shafts are shot and will be replaced by 'some time next week'. Bhoys, it's not looking that great!

However, resurrection is at hand, or at least, my belief in it is.

I shall turn out and play with my set of Mac Neutralizer plagiarised copies in the form of 1958 John Letters Master Models. These are the ones with the Fred Daly autograph, sold to me by Arthur Daley (UK joke) to help me hit it like Big John Daly! They run 2 thro to 10 + DD CF4000 wedge c.1962. Woods off the bench are a 1958 Jimmy Demaret Mac driver and a Mac Custom 5 wood. Putter probably the A blade, since it has been given so much love on here lately, maybe some will rub off on me.

I think breaking 90 will be a good score, wish me luck.

Good luck stix! Somehow I don't think you're going to need it as things will work out fine just as it did for me on first round.

Weather has become decidedly more seasonal in these parts with highs in the upper 60's forecast for Sunday. One of my semi regular groups gets under way on Monday, so I think I'll be joining them for their first round of the season.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ouch! I feel for you. I've had those days too and all too often. The difference of course is that I don't break 90 when I do! Doff of the virtual cap for the otherwise good play. That will be three Hale Marys and you are absolved my son.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

My friend and I played Saturday, We were put with 2 other guys to make a foursome. After introductions I told them about my various physical challenges and that the only thing about my game that was consistent any more was its inconsistency. They chuckled and the one guy said "ya, me two. That's why I left my 2 iron at home. Ha Ha Ha." I crooked my finger at him and pointed to my bag. He about crapped his pants when he saw I was carrying a 2 iron. Not only that but I had one of my better rounds as my back held up well and my ball striking was very solid. Because there was a strong breeze and gusts well over 20 mph I hit the 2 iron off the deck several times when playing into the wind and was really killing it, My buddy Michael was laughing his a** off and said that I had those guys totally flustered! :pimp:

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Well, that was an interesting day! My home course was swamped as mid 70's temperatures led to a full tee sheet. Pace of play was SLOW. A fellow I know that was going out for his second nine said that the morning round took three hours! :bad: That's what happens when there are no starters or marshalls on duty.

I had hoped to get off early with my group, but when we made our way to the first tee there were three groups ahead of us waiting to hit. Once we got under way it wasn't so bad and we actually managed to get done in about 2 hours. Not great when I'm used to playing in about an hour and a half for nine mid day, but it will do.

I was in short game purgatory today. You know the place; poor contact leads to a lack of confidence and tentativeness that becomes a self propagating misery. My putting wasn't any better, in fact it was perhaps more frustrating as I was reading lines correctly, but just couldn't bring myself to make a confident enough stroke to get the ball to the hole! If there was anything I could count on today it was inconsistency-- six pars and three triple bogies-- that's a different looking score card! I was golden off the tee, but from that point forward I never did feel quite right.

A stroke more than my first round with the same collection of vintage clubs, but fashioned in such a different manner. I should be happy but the ghosts of lost shots are already haunting me. We'll see what the next outing brings.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

What a difference a couple of days can make in Spring.

Today sunshine, blue skies, the fairway grass supporting the ball, and guess what.

The 1958 Master Model irons are going like bullets, the Mac Jimmy Demaret driver is going similar and all is well in the golfing world.

The new Wilson wedge, the R90 W, acquired yeaterday played into it's role nicely and started spinning the ball and a 75 was the outcome. Even the putting looked like I knew what I was doing.

Only one club was not in period in the 1950s bag, excusing the R90 which is early 60s, and that was a Custom Mac 5 wood

Today sunshine, blue skies, the fairway grass supporting the ball, and guess what.

The 1958 Master Model irons are going like bullets, the Mac Jimmy Demaret driver is going similar and all is well in the golfing world.

The new Wilson wedge, the R90 W, acquired yeaterday played into it's role nicely and started spinning the ball and a 75 was the outcome. Even the putting looked like I knew what I was doing.

Only one club was not in period in the 1950s bag, excusing the R90 which is early 60s, and that was a Custom Mac 5 wood

Well played that man !

Sounds like your best golf is ahead of you Chris .... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Well played that man !

Sounds like your best golf is ahead of you Chris .... :)

Thanks, BJ,

Maybe my worst golf is behind me??

Is my glass half full....or half empty?

Always half full, don't look back!

I know what you mean, spring is finally here. Got my first evening 9 of the year in last night, and the first outing with proper woods since they got put away for the winter. Glorious evening, Hogan 1953 driver, some rescued Mizuno TP19s, a Maxfli TM02 that I've cut down to a better length for me and you could not have wiped the grin of my face with a wet kipper. Feel like I'm back in the half of the year that I actually like.

Snuck in another eighteen on my own. Two hours ten minutes. So quiet out there I was singing to myself for a while and I will only do this if I am sure nobody is in earshot. Crushed by The Wedding Present if you are interested.

I think the Silver Scots are a bit upright for me as I was consistently pulling all my irons. Heels not that forgiving so might need to get the grinder revved up and take a bit off.

Made a couple of birdies though and hit some solid drives with the Byron Nelson. Pretty clubs.

I mentioned on the UK Classic Club topic that I was playing St annes Old Links today. Open qual. track, loads of bells and whistles, great true links course.

Well, playing 1958 John Letters Fred Daly Master Models and a Mac Jimmy Demaret driver, I eagled 17th, drive, 2 iron, 2ft putt 520 yds, and birdied 18th Drive 5iron 2 stabs 484 yds.

It was downwind, but still 1000yds and 7 whacks is never shabby.

I mentioned on the UK Classic Club topic that I was playing St annes Old Links today. Open qual. track, loads of bells and whistles, great true links course.

Well, playing 1958 John Letters Fred Daly Master Models and a Mac Jimmy Demaret driver, I eagled 17th, drive, 2 iron, 2ft putt 520 yds, and birdied 18th Drive 5iron 2 stabs 484 yds.

Keep this up and you'll be shooting your age at some point this year Chris ! Fantastic stuff ... :superman:

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Keep this up and you'll be shooting your age at some point this year Chris ! Fantastic stuff ... :superman:

Thanks, BJ

Just doing my sums.....at 7 shots per 1000 yards, over a 7000 yard course I could be shooting your age LOL

At 7 shots per 1000 yards, you should be keeping July clear on your kitchen calendar!

No kidding! I figure I'm playing pretty damned sharp at twice as many shots per 1000!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I heard my 73-75 Wilson Staff irons calling my name. I cleaned them up a bit and put them in a Classic Ping Staff Bag along with a vintage metal Titleist Midsize Driver, TaylorMade 3 Wood, and GINTY 5 metal wood along with an Otey Crisman Klik3 Brass Putter!

I plan to take them out sometime tomorrow and will report if it doesn't look too ugly. :)

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Report anyway Tim!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I know what you mean, spring is finally here. Got my first evening 9 of the year in last night, and the first outing with proper woods since they got put away for the winter. Glorious evening, Hogan 1953 driver, some rescued Mizuno TP19s, a Maxfli TM02 that I've cut down to a better length for me and you could not have wiped the grin of my face with a wet kipper. Feel like I'm back in the half of the year that I actually like.

Should have kept my mouth shut. Just because the sun hasn't dropped below the horizon, doesn't mean that it's necessarily springtime, as I was reminded tonight. Played through sleet, snow and hail and finished in the dark. Love those Mizuno irons though - and am sufficiently inspired to have started rebuilding a very mixed set of TP9s to see what they're about.

I am proud of you dudes over there. Like the US Postal Service, "Neither rain, nor..."

Did nobody mention this already in your Off the Beaten Track thread?

We have a saying "4 seasons in a day...." most often deployed in late spring and summer to describe those conditions of sunny spells interspersed with withering hail. You have been warned!

Well I ended up taking out my mainline set (see signature) and struggled with it!!!

After having played about 8 to 10 really good consecutive rounds The Golf Gods decided it was past time they pointed and laughed!

I pushed shots. I pulled shots. I topped shots. I popped up shots. I was playing by myself and yelled what the H_ll Am I Doing!?! The only thing I was doing consistently well was putting.

I then caught up to a threesome and after following close for a couple of holes they invited me to join them at the 8th tee as they were having to wait on a foursome in front of them before they could tee off. I won't tell you that I miraculously reverted to playing at the level i had been before that round but at least I didn't embarrass myself. I parred the 8th then triple boogied the 9th. Shook it off and played the back 9 alternating parr and boogie which is about what I had been doing prior to the start of this round. Perhaps I needed the pressure of being watched? It was the first round in quite a while that I had started out by myself.