2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Had a good 9 holes last night, came in at -1. Phone died on the 5th hole so I only got half the round on video. I post videos over on the ABS forum.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Had 9 holes recently with the classic bag. Started off with a hiss and a roar with par on the first 2 holes then settled down to one over for the next 6 holes and a dbl bogey on the last for a respectable 44.

Did find that after using the classic clubs I was hitting my other more modern lot miles better at the range - must be something in that. The Spalding blades are totally unforgiving and when that pea-sized sweet spot is missed you know all about it - certainly makes you slow down and concentrate a lot more.

Good fun.

edit: can't count, can't spell either

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

I took the day off work and drove out to Banff and played the Stanley Thompson 18 out at Banff Springs.

The bag was:

Driver - Tony Penna Mod 1

Fairway woods - Wilson Tour Block II 3 & 5

Irons - Wilson bulletbacks (2-PW), Sandy Andy sand wedge

Putter - Wilson 8802

Ball - Titleist Tour Balata 90

Had a one of my best rounds of the year going on the front and it all came apart on the back.

1. Par 4 383 yds - low drive, 3 iron just short and right of the green for a straight forward ship to a back pin which I leave well short, 3 putt for a 6. Not the way I wanted to start.

2. Par 3 147 yds - 6 iron into a strong wind to the front of the green, fist pump as the 80ft putt goes in for a birdie 2.

3. Par 5 501 yds - drive into left rough, cold top a 4 iron which was my worst swing of the day, 3 wood to about 100 yds, half-8 iron to run it up on the green, 2 putt for 6

4. Par 3 167 yds - The Devils Cauldron, a big Elk is just to the right of the green. Have to wait for a good while for the group in front to take pictures. 6 iron just short of the green, 9 iron chip past the hole to the back of the green but the slope carries back to 5 ft in front of the hole, putt for par.

5. Par 4 391 yds - Driver to an uphill lie, 5 wood into green side bunker, a good out to 5 ft, and putt for par

6. Par 4 344 yds - one of my favourite holes. Good drive, 8 iron to left fringe, chip and a putt for par.

7. Par 5 540 yds - A good drive, had a tough time deciding on my next shot and decided to hit a 9 iron short of some fairway bunkers, 3 iron to right green side bunker, not a great out and 2 putt for 6.

8. Par 3 125 yds - choke up on an 8 iron to pin high leaving 20 ft, 2 putt for par.

9. Par 5 458 yds - drive into right rough, fat a 5 wood, 7 iron to middle of the green and three putt for 6. Bogied all par 5’s crap. but still had a 4 over 40 which for me is great.

and then the wheels started to wobble…

10. Par 3 197 yards - toe a 5 wood leaving it quite a bit short, run the chip well past and three putt for 5. Tell myself “no problem, I doubled the 1st hole and still had a good front…”

11. Par 4 398 yds - drive behind a huge spruce that sticks out into the fairway. Hook a low 5 iron around the tree to the front of the green, lag putt to inches and tap in for par.

12. Par 4 414 yds - good drive, 3 iron to back left fringe, chunk my chip, 2 putt for bogey.

13. Par 3 191 yds - 4 iron into left green side bunker, take waaaay too much sand and barely get the ball out, chip and 2 putt for a double bogey. This is the beginning of the end of my good round.

14. Par 4 411 yds - good drive, 2 iron right of the green, a poor chip and 2 putt for bogey.

15. Par 4 457 yds - high elevated tee next to the Banff Springs Hotel (it use to be the 1st hole). Get a ride up to the tee box with a marshal that happens to be passing by. He sees me hit a great drive and we talk about the 3 macgregor woods he still has at home. Terribly slice a 3 wood well short and right of the green, open up an 8 iron to the green but well left of the hole, terrible 3 putt for double bogey.

16. Par 4 385 yds - good drive, 4 iron to middle of the green, 3 putt for bogey (a theme is starting to emerge).

17. Par 4 337 yds - good drive, slice a 6 iron into deep rough to the right of the green, chunk it out but still short of the green, pitch from a steep uphill lie, 2 putt for a 6.

18. Par 5 552 yds - drive into a fairway bunker, bad decision making as I try a 5 wood but catch the high lip, 4 iron of a terrible uphill-sidehill lie into another fairway bunker, 8 iron onto the green , and 3 putt for a crowd pleasing 7.

Great day Parmstrong! I've been there and seen Banff Springs first hand, but that was before I played. I'm a huge fan of Stanley Thompson designs! There are four of his courses close to me, three of which a public. I love playing them especially with vintage clubs in the bag!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

A vintage bag on a Stanley Thompson layout-great combination !

I have a Thompson design an hr north of me that Im going to play

this fall with my Jones original, Mac MT driver, Hogan SS 4 wood,

76 Staff blades & either a 8802 or a '59 bullseye flange.

Throw in a beautiful Canadian fall day and it doesn't get much better !

RE Banff Springs

One of the ladies I was paired up with kept commenting on how the course wasn't as nice as another nearby mountain course. One the is relatively new, carts only because of the huge distances between tees, and the epitome of gimmicky mountain courses. I tried to comment about the subtleties of the Thompson design - How each hole framed a mountain in the distance, how an elevated green mimicked the benchland in the distance, or how the mounding and bunkers mirrored the mountain range on the distance but I quickly gave up.

It's a metaphor -- Do you mind if I play with your clubs?

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OK, so today I give this mash-up idea another go. The bag consisted of a really eclectic mix that included the following

Driver: TM R7 425

Woods: PowerBilt Citation 2W, Callaway BB War bird Heavenwood

Hybrid: Nickent 3 DX 26°

Irons: Precision II Dictator BeCu 3-PW

Wedge: Ram Tom Watson 53° BeCu

Putter: Ping Zing MnBz

So mostly vintage with only 2 modern era (?) clubs that are 10 yr. old in their own right.

Walked nine this afternoon at my home course with my usual weekday playing partners. It was busy so there was lots of waiting. Not ideal, but what else were we going to do? My back even held up, but it was getting clear to me by the ninth that it was time to call it a day. So far so good.

Everything from the hybrid on down played beautifully. Those irons feel so nice when hit on the button! I was solid with the wedge and putted very well, the best in a while.

Couldn't get off the tee worth a damn! Driver was a big disappointment -- short and left. The 2W was interesting. Still got to figure out the tee height and ball position as I skyed the first shot and blocked the second, but that thing does have some legs when you square it up.

I was nine over with three pars, three bogies and three doubles. A pretty solid outing for my be any account. The milder temperatures were certainly appreciated. I'm going to stick with some version of this for the next while and see where this leads to.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OK, so today I give this mash-up idea another go. The bag consisted of a really eclectic mix that included the following

Driver: TM R7 425

Woods: PowerBilt Citation 2W, Callaway BB War bird Heavenwood

Hybrid: Nickent 3 DX 26°

Irons: Precision II Dictator BeCu 3-PW

Wedge: Ram Tom Watson 53° BeCu

Putter: Ping Zing MnBz

So mostly vintage with only 2 modern era (?) clubs that are 10 yr. old in their own right.

Walked nine this afternoon at my home course with my usual weekday playing partners. It was busy so there was lots of waiting. Not ideal, but what else were we going to do? My back even held up, but it was getting clear to me by the ninth that it was time to call it a day. So far so good.

Everything from the hybrid on down played beautifully. Those irons feel so nice when hit on the button! I was solid with the wedge and putted very well, the best in a while.

Couldn't get off the tee worth a damn! Driver was a big disappointment -- short and left. The 2W was interesting. Still got to figure out the tee height and ball position as I skyed the first shot and blocked the second, but that thing does have some legs when you square it up.

I was nine over with three pars, three bogies and three doubles. A pretty solid outing for my be any account. The milder temperatures were certainly appreciated. I'm going to stick with some version of this for the next while and see where this leads to.

Did you try using your 3 iron off the tee? sure you'll lose distance but out there and on the fairway.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Did you try using your 3 iron off the tee? sure you'll lose distance but out there and on the fairway.

Not today. I resorted to that the previous time playing my vintage irons and it was effective in keeping me out of trouble. Today I wasn't in trouble, just not getting anything out of my swing with the woods. This seems to be a recurring theme, so I'm just going to persevere.

I want to get that Citation figured out because I know I'm close with it. If I get that club settled, I believe that the rest should fall in place. Even if it doesn't, I've then got a solid option off the tee nonetheless.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Not today. I resorted to that the previous time playing my vintage irons and it was effective in keeping me out of trouble. Today I wasn't in trouble, just not getting anything out of my swing with the woods. This seems to be a recurring theme, so I'm just going to persevere.

I want to get that Citation figured out because I know I'm close with it. If I get that club settled, I believe that the rest should fall in place. Even if it doesn't, I've then got a solid option off the tee nonetheless.

Surprised the TM r7 didn't go well, it's a damn good club. You may need to open the face either at address or at the top of your backswing to get the best out of it, choke down and shorten the backswing. nice set of clubs scomac.

ps what shaft do you have in the r7?

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Surprised the TM r7 didn't go well, it's a damn good club. You may need to open the face either at address or at the top of your backswing to get the best out of it, choke down and shorten the backswing. nice set of clubs scomac.

I used to be money with that club, but it hasn't performed all that great for me for a while. There's no doubt that I'm manipulating the clubface in some way through the swing because the launch angle is pretty low despite being an 11.5° head. The shaft in the R7 is a stock R Fujikura.

[Added] My stock shot with that club used to be a beautiful little fade that ran flat and long, but it has been years since I've seen that shot. :(

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I used to be money with that club, but it hasn't performed all that great for me for a while. There's no doubt that I'm manipulating the clubface in some way through the swing because the launch angle is pretty low despite being an 11.5° head. The shaft in the R7 is a stock R Fujikura.

[Added] My stock shot with that club used to be a beautiful little fade that ran flat and long, but it has been years since I've seen that shot. :(

Same shaft as mine. Sounds like you're rolling your wrists anticlock just before impact and closing the face, back of your left hand should be vertical to the ball at impact and continue thru to the target, that's how it works for me anyho. Keep working on it.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Played yesterday with the Buttonbacks, Fred Hass 2 &4 woods, leather paddle grip/fluted shaft Bullseye.

It was flashes of brilliance among an afternoon of mediocrity. Iron game was solid, short game not bad, but the hooks appeared with both woods. Not off the planet, but off the fairway, in the stinking rough, or the native grass before the trees, where all you got is a chop chop here and a hack hack there.

But, a beautiful course, on a beautiful afternoon, with a great group of guys. The needles were out, and everyone agreed next Tuesday will be real wood and blades for all.

Same shaft as mine. Sounds like you're rolling your wrists anticlock just before impact and closing the face, back of your left hand should be vertical to the ball at impact and continue thru to the target, that's how it works for me anyho. Keep working on it.

Interesting you should mention that. There's no question that my lefts this season have been a result of over turning the club face. I have yet to figure out how to correct that. (All suggestions welcomed! ;))

I was goofing around a bit yesterday afternoon killing time and I was practicing a sort of one handed follow through to keep the club slotted down more vertically rather than coming around my body so much. I may try that out with my practice swings before hitting this afternoon if I get out.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Much the same performance today as I had on Monday -- solid from the 5 iron on down, but the top end of the bag left a lot to be desired. And then it happened...

I finally got that shot I have been waiting for; a towering, majestic drive with my 2W to the ninth green, an elevated par three that plays at 200 carry if you want to stick the green. I hit the collar and then bounced right into the rough. Still, that was the ever elusive tee shot that I've been searching for for the better part of a month!

AS the saying goes; if you can do it once, you can do it again. The trick will be remembering how I did it. The trick is it didn't feel like I did much of anything at all... :dntknw:

The flat stick was cooking today too as I made several putts, a couple of the long variety to save par. I think I may have finally found a money putter!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Interesting you should mention that. There's no question that my lefts this season have been a result of over turning the club face. I have yet to figure out how to correct that. (All suggestions welcomed! ;))

I was goofing around a bit yesterday afternoon killing time and I was practicing a sort of one handed follow through to keep the club slotted down more vertically rather than coming around my body so much. I may try that out with my practice swings before hitting this afternoon if I get out.

Think you're onto it by keeping your swing more vertical than around low below shoulder level.

I can promote a draw or a fade by opening or closing the face of the club - nothing rocket science about that.

Try opening the face at address first, not by twisting your wrists but changing where you grip the club (ie more left of centre).

Exaggerate it first and see where the ball goes. if it goes to the right, you're on the right track (no pun intended) and then you can ease it back a little towards square.

The second way to open the clubface is at the top of the backswing, roll your left hand clockwise over your right and keep it there. This is what Ben Hogan used to do to make sure he didn't hook the ball, which he absolutely hated doing. This move tends to tuck the right elbow in towards the right hip and keeps your arms in line with the ball.

Combining the above two may result in a wild slice ........................... oh happy days !

One other thing that may or may not help is to adopt an open stance at address and aim a little left of centre of the fairway (opposite of what our brain screams not to do)

Have fun and if this does help, you can thank me profusely later on. Cheers

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Much the same performance today as I had on Monday -- solid from the 5 iron on down, but the top end of the bag left a lot to be desired. And then it happened...

I finally got that shot I have been waiting for; a towering, majestic drive with my 2W to the ninth green, an elevated par three that plays at 200 carry if you want to stick the green. I hit the collar and then bounced right into the rough. Still, that was the ever elusive tee shot that I've been searching for for the better part of a month!

AS the saying goes; if you can do it once, you can do it again. The trick will be remembering how I did it. The trick is it didn't feel like I did much of anything at all... :dntknw:

The flat stick was cooking today too as I made several putts, a couple of the long variety to save par. I think I may have finally found a money putter!

Regarding your flat stick, I found today in a charity shop on the way back from a round, a mint condition Spalding bullseye putter (for $3). I am happiness filled and this will go nicely with my set of Spalding blades. :) :) :)

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Thanks for the pointers Nomad. I have usually been reasonably capable at self correcting, but this one has me baffled. Much of what you have suggested I have tried to do at one time or another, but I don't recall any of them offering a consistent solution beyond blocking the ball out to the right.

If I look back over my season, I struggled with the tee ball out of the gate, but then it came around mid to late April. Since then I think I've only had one or two days where I could say that I drove the ball well.

Just keep plugging along I guess. If I don't find a solution the season will be over before you know it and then the hooks won't be bothering me. I might look for a copy of the good book for some winter reading. May as well go direct to the master for a little teaching! ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have slowly come to expect poorly struck shots using vintage gear, knowing that a pure strike is coming which will give me that feedback im looking for.

It has come to the point for me where its simply what I want to play with-even at the expense of a few strokes or yards lost. I do switch to modern gear at times because I dont want my playing partners to think im trying to prove something...guess its out of consideration for them.

My greatest enjoyment is my sunrise rounds on days off with a vintage bag of 9-10 clubs along with the peace and serenity that comes with it. Im so glad I stumbled on info about vintage gear and the people that play it. Wonderful info, pics and stories shared.

I have slowly come to expect poorly struck shots using vintage gear, knowing that a pure strike is coming which will give me that feedback im looking for.

It has come to the point for me where its simply what I want to play with-even at the expense of a few strokes or yards lost. I do switch to modern gear at times because I dont want my playing partners to think im trying to prove something...guess its out of consideration for them.

My greatest enjoyment is my sunrise rounds on days off with a vintage bag of 9-10 clubs along with the peace and serenity that comes with it. Im so glad I stumbled on info about vintage gear and the people that play it. Wonderful info, pics and stories shared.

I'm too lazy for sunrise rounds usually but love sunset rounds. Especially since we are in a valley and sunset drops between the mountains.

Thanks for the pointers Nomad. I have usually been reasonably capable at self correcting, but this one has me baffled. Much of what you have suggested I have tried to do at one time or another, but I don't recall any of them offering a consistent solution beyond blocking the ball out to the right.

If I look back over my season, I struggled with the tee ball out of the gate, but then it came around mid to late April. Since then I think I've only had one or two days where I could say that I drove the ball well.

Just keep plugging along I guess. If I don't find a solution the season will be over before you know it and then the hooks won't be bothering me. I might look for a copy of the good book for some winter reading. May as well go direct to the master for a little teaching! ;)

No worries. It'll either slot into place or you might have to take up lawn bowls !

Cheers

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls