2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

St. George, Utah

rjwtn

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunbrook - 27 holes in St. George. Great value, good golf courses. Highly recommended.

St. george has many good courses now. It's been a few years since I've been there. I don't live close any longer, but I've sent members out there and they've loved it, a few have come back as property owners.

For a non-golf day, go to Zion National Park.......there's golf on the way in Hurricane (pronounced - Huricun).

Mesquite which is only about an hour away also has some nice courses.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

Looking for a less costly alternative to our usual pilgrimage to Scottsdale. The web site advertising the Red Rock Trail looks appealing and the prices are great, anyone with reviews or suggestions? Looking to go late April, or early May. Thanks!

You have plenty of golf options in the Phoenix metro area. Not all great courses reside in Scottsdale :) - For night life, restaurants, etc you're still better off here ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Sunbrook is a must on our prospect list as is Coral Canyon and The Ledges. I will also be sure to check out Mesquite, we plan to spend a day in Vegas on either end of the trip, so we could easily work that in.

I'll second Coral Canyon

I'd recommend Green Spring Golf Course as well. #5 is a good par 3 and #6 is a great par 4.

http://golfgreenspring.com/

I'd say Sunbrook is the better of the two, but Green Spring is good.

I'll second Green Springs

Looking for a less costly alternative to our usual pilgrimage to Scottsdale. The web site advertising the Red Rock Trail looks appealing and the prices are great, anyone with reviews or suggestions? Looking to go late April, or early May. Thanks!

You have plenty of golf options in the Phoenix metro area. Not all great courses reside in Scottsdale :) - For night life, restaurants, etc you're still better off here ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Sunbrook is a must on our prospect list as is Coral Canyon and The Ledges. I will also be sure to check out Mesquite, we plan to spend a day in Vegas on either end of the trip, so we could easily work that in.

I'll second Coral Canyon

I'd recommend Green Spring Golf Course as well. #5 is a good par 3 and #6 is a great par 4.

http://golfgreenspring.com/

I'd say Sunbrook is the better of the two, but Green Spring is good.

I'll second Green Springs

I still love the Phoenix area, and realize all the best courses aren't in Scottsdale, although one regret in not going this year is not playing the new course at We Ko Pa. We will probably be back next year, just looking for something different this time.

Thanks to all for all of the feedback, it definitely helps in making our plans.

I played both Green Springs and Coral Canyon recently. Coral Canyon is the nicer of the two but it costs twice as much ~$95. Green Springs is fun with some nice holes going across canyons.

Other courses to consider are Entrada and the Ledges. Both are nice upscale courses. In mesquite Wolf Creek is the course you will want to play.

• 1 year later...

We are planning to stay in Mesquite and golf at The Ledges, Coral Canyon and Sky Mountain instead of Mesquite. Since it will be late September the Mesquite courses will be overseeding and either be closed or cart path only plus the green fees will be high. St. George doesn't seem to overseed. We will also stay 2 nights in Vegas but I doubt we will play there, too many $$$ for overseeded, shaggy, wet fairways and freshly punched greens.

• 2 months later...

The new sandhollow course is very nice, back nine overlooking the Virgin River, lightning fast greens, big fairways. Bring your short game.

Coral Canyon still the golfers golf course challenging fairways with fast but puttable greens.

Green Springs offers the canyon par three over and challenging par four coming back.

Sky Mountain very nice back also overlooking the Vigin River on the back but known for its slow play.

Sunbrook 27 holes known by all locals as the bread and butter course. Also can be slow.

Ledges nice layout fast greens with lots of undulations. Coral Canyons greens are much more fun.

Dixie Red Hills be prepared for a 3 hour nine, very slow, mature course well laid out.

St George Golf Course and Sunriver and both not worth my time and patience.

What awsome choices one could easily spend a week exploring the many beatiful courses this little golf town has to offer.

We just got back, loved the Ledges, so quiet and beautiful, especially the back 9, had the best greens, must have been aerated before Coral Canyon. We did enjoy Coral Canyon also, I liked its course setup, wide landing areas, and yet challenging. Marshall was annoying at times, we were right on time according to the GPS, either change the GPS or STFU. Will go back in the future, much better than Vegas golf. Wolf Creek was amazing, just too hot since we teed off at 2 PM. Those gas Yamaha carts could barely climb the hills there. Very tough course since there are not many places to miss.

• 7 months later...

I just remembered that I hadn't reviewed the brief golf outing this past February.

I only got to play 27 holes due to a pregnant wife and an 'active' 2-year-old... The 9 holes was @ Sun Brook. I won't go back there. Dull golf, poorly laid out IMO. Slow and what seemed like an amazing amount of bird crap. I only played 9 of the 27, but was adequately discouraged that I won't go back there.

The 18 hole round was amazing. Sand Hollow is one of my all time favorite courses. Great experience from the driving range to the end of the round, except for one group of extremely slow and quite oblivious people on the 17th hole. I finally just went around them... (The marshalls need to do their job and enforce pace of play.) Other than that one blip, it was awesome. Great condition for February, interesting tee shots and approaches. Greens that would surely been fun in more 'green' conditions. Nice range and practice green. The best part is the dramatic tee shots. Several will rate high on the 'pucker factor' and the red rock against the green grass is a visual treat.

Overall, Sand Hollow is a must play. Sunbrook is a yawn and it won't get a second chance from me.

St. George is an interesting place. Make sure you bring I.D., birth certificate, blood type, sperm count, and a note from your Mom if you want to order a drink with your dinner...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We played Entrada yesterday, windy, which didn't help since several holes are target golf. The lava piles on the back 9 were wild, luckily we didn't leave any balls there. Very fun course and the Casita we stayed in was real nice. We will do this again. The course was rated easier than it played, then again the wind added several shots. You have to stay there to play there. We got paired with another couple that knew the course which was better than a yardage book. Off to Sand hollow today, too bad the Golfbuddy doesn't have that course.

No need for the golfbuddy at Sandhollow. Carts have GPS in them. Huge fairways and greens, lots of undulations on both also. Can't believe I didn't score better but the greens are tough to read. Beautiful course, there are several holes on the back 9 that compare to Wolf Creek, maybe even more dramatic. Rock cliffs on one side and a vertical drop of hundreds of feet on the other. This area is golf heaven! Twilight, after noon, rate of $50 was a steal. Tough week for me, tomorrow is Oasis Canyons, since the Palmer is cart path only and Wolf Creek is too much $$$.

Well the Oasis was freshly overseeded, greens stimped about 1! Hard to give a good review when you can't putt! Went to Pahrump and played Mountain View. Had a great time, front 9 was new and pretty good. Back 9 was older and had a lot of character, will play this course again!

Overall I recommend St. George over Vegas or Mesquite, great golf, no overseeding, and much less expensive. Stay at the Eureka in Mesquite and drive to St. George!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='teaz01' timestamp='1290061620' post='2796334']
Hi,
Two words, "Sand Hollow" The Links or Champ. Course.
[/quote]

We played both this year, loved the links 9, didn't see another golfer until hole 5. Champ course is one of my favorites, conditions were just perfect, can't wait to play it again next year.

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just returned home from a short week in the Mesquite/St George area and I was amazed at the courses and conditions. Played Coral Canyon, Sand Hollow, Entrada and Wolf Creek. The weather was incredible, unseasonably cool (high 50's in the AM, warming to the low 80 by afternoon) with light winds, well relatively light, maybe 10-15 with an occasional gust in the 20's.

[b]Coral Canyon[/b]: Spectacular scenery at every turn but unlike many desert courses it is very playable. There are some carries over the desert but the fairways provide generous areas for landing your shot. In addition there are some challenging par 3's that are well designed golf holes as well providing some great views. Great facilities, beautiful club house, nice restaraunt, proshop, driving range and really nice putting green. Great overall track, great condition with, possibly, the friendliest staff I've ever found at a golf course. I tee'd off as a single at 7:40 and finished in about 2.5 hours. This was an absolute gem of a golf course and the price cannot be beaten...$48.

[b]Sand Hollow[/b]: The best overall experience of all the courses played during the visit and has to rank as one of the most beautiful courses I have ever played. The orange sand bunkers and sandstone cliffs make for a unique landscape. The back nine plays along a breath-taking rim that challenges your shot-making nerves but rewards you with unbelievable views, arguably as impressive, if not moreso than Wolf Creek, IMO. The clubhouse is probably the one week point, not quite up to the standards of a course of this quality. The conditions were absolutley perfect and expertly manicured. Also, dont make the mistake of not playing the 9 hole links course, it's a very nice addition to the champ course and a completely different experience. The value is great, this is a definite must if you are in, not only, St. George but in Las Vegas. The value is off the charts, you could easily expect to pay $200-$500 to play this course if it were in Vegas. Amazing value.

[b]Entrada at Snow Canyon[/b]: A very challenging round of golf. Bring alot of extra balls or be prepared to buy extra on the turn as, IMO, I found the back 9 to be tougher than the front and you wont want to venture into the lava fields for your errant shots.....nasty stuff. The course was very well maintained and the views on the course are spectacular everywhere that you look. With that said, I found the service to be very poor. I pulled up to the cart drop and observed three "greeters" standing around as they watchd me unload my clubs, put on my golf shoes and walk my clubs to the golf cart without so much as a welcome. There appeared to be some resentment that the club was open to public play....just my opinion. Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat...the snack bar closes at 2:30!!! WTF is that!! Oh, well, I figured there would be a drink cart so no worries.....nope, no drink cart. Surely there would be water stations on the course, right?! Wrong again. Thankfully, the weather wasn't too bad and I managed to stop by my casita and pick up some water before making the turn. I figured I would stop by the pro shop after the round to find out if this was the norm.......it was closed!!!! The pro shop closes at 4:00!! As far as golf goes, it was very nice but not sure I would go back for the money....and no GPS. The casita was very nice and the service in that regard was outstanding but again, not sure it's enough to bring me back.

[b]Wolf Creek[/b]: Really not much that can be said about WC that hasn't already been said...the views are amazing, the course condtions were perfect. It has the "wow" factor and if you have a chance to play it you should....HOWEVER, my round started off on a bad note and it took me the most part of my first 9 holes to get over it. Let me first start by saying I know sh!t happens and I can deal with that but how you deal with it is something of a different matter. I showed up and was greeted by a cart attendent who asked for my name and tee time, I told him my name and that I had a 6:40 tee time as a single. He put my clubs on the cart and I drove to the club house. I proceeded inside to pay the green fees and was told that the threesome I was to join had come with a 4th and that the soonest I could go off was 8:50 unless I wanted to go off on the back and pair up with the 8:50 afterwards. OK, fine....a single going off the back...NICE, right? I get to the 10th fairway and cant see the pin, OK it must be a blind shot....but I cant tell...NO GPS ON THE CARTS! I get to the green and the pins out and laying on the green, must've been a mistake. I go to 11 and, again, I cant see the pin.....this was the case for the next 6 holes. I guess they were moving the holes and hadn't gotten to them yet.

Inconvenience aside, I finish the back nine by 8:30 and I grab a bite in the clubhouse waiting for my pairing for the front nine, low and behold there's a pretty lengthy backup and I dont get to go off until close to 10:00. I tee'd it up on the back 9 at 6:30 and finished the round at 12:45.....a freekin 6 hour and 15 minute round without one mention of an apology.

Like I said, the course was immaculate, the conditions were pristine and the views were out of this world but I dont think it's enough to bring me back. It's unfotunate because it was supposed to be the crown jewel of the entire trip and ended up being the most dissapointing outing of the trip.

• 10 months later...

I have golfed St George Many times... I have played most of them... Here are the ones I would recommend.. Sunbrook 27 Holes although the do not have a driving range where you can hit your driver irons only. Coral Canyon. Sand Hollow is a course that has only been open 2 years but is really a nice course, Sky Mountain. Both the last 2 courses are in Hurricane just a short drive from downtown St George. If you are looking for a place to Stay the Hampton Inn right off I-15 is where we always stay, they will set up the tee times for you if you call them in advance. The hotel is within walking distance of a number of Restaurants and the Factory Outlet Shops.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Late to the party on this thread, but agree with the Coral Canyon and Sand Hollow suggestions as two great choices in St George. Here's a link to a thread I started in the other Golf Wrx section:

http://www.golfwrx.c...nd-sand-hollow/

Me and my shadow at S.H.

8457503619_267ceb7faf_b.jpg

Sand Hollow #12 c = panorama r by tewiespix, on Flickr

• 2 months later...

[url="http://www.golf-101.net/golf-sunbrook.html#sthash.1Rw0NSk5.dpbs"]Sunbrook [/url] [url="http://www.golf-101.net/utah-golf-coralcanyon.html#sthash.QHwt6Dxg.dpbs"]Coral Canyon [/url] Sand Hollow and [url="http://www.golf-101.net/utah-golf-skymountain.html#sthash.V0utf7KO.dpbs"]Sky Mountain[/url] are my favorite courses in the St George area, I have played them all a number of times.

Read my Course reviews from my own personally experience, click on the links to the courses above.