2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Scotty Cameron Rust Bucket - DIY Step by Step Restoration

First time poster. I did a ton of research on the forums before restoring my Scotty and figured my experiences might be able to help someone else fix theirs.

Let me start by saying that the condition this putter started in is an absolute embarassment. Calling it a rustbucket, is someone being nice, it was to the point where I didn't want to take it out of my bag on the golf course... and from reading these forums I know that there are plenty of people out there who say "I don't know how anyone can let a Scotty get like that"... etc, etc., I get it, I neglected it for far far far too long, guilty as charged, I won't let it happen again.

The quick backstory on this putter is that I bought it new, when I was in high school and its been my gamer ever since. At this point its almost 15 years old, and to say it wasn't cared for correctly when I first got it (or anytime for that matter) was an extreme understatement and also probably a pretty good argument for why a 16yr old should not get a brand new Scotty Cameron. Either way, it has more sentimental value to me than anything else, and I like DIY projects so I decided to give this a shot with my backup plan being to send it out to SC for a full on restore and a hefty price tag.

Step 1: Assessing the Damage and Removing Rust and Previous (oil can) finish: It was bad, rust everywhere, couldn't tell from the surface if there was pitting from the rust, and there were dings all over the topline and heel/toe of the putter. The first step I needed to do was to remove the rust and the previous finish (there basically wasn't any previous finish still left). I gave it a bath in coke, which didn't do much, then CLR, which worked better to remove the rust.

IMG_2091_zpse38fee01.jpg

IMG_2093_zps2188bb9c.jpg

IMG_2094_zps23dcd418.jpg

IMG_2095_zpsd1fd9166.jpg

IMG_2096_zpseb0eb689.jpg

IMG_2098_zps3bc8e87d.jpg

Step 2: Clean it up: Once I had the majority of the rust removed using the CLR I then went to town on it using a combination of steel wool, and a dremel with buffing bits (I didn't want to use dremel sanding bits because i was concerned about removing too much metal). This was only to clean up the metal, not to fix any dings at this point. Also, I didn't want to remove any of the mill marks because they were still in remarkably good shape compared to the rest of the putter (I have no idea why they survived so well). On the face of the putter the only thing I did was very lightly steel wool over it just to clean the rust out of the mill marks. As you can see in the pictures, there are still a ton of dings on the putter at this point.

IMG_2099_zps64b296ea.jpg

IMG_2100_zps34e9d948.jpg

IMG_2101_zps5126f3ef.jpg

IMG_2103_zps2c9fa6a6.jpg

IMG_2105_zps6869ab41.jpg

IMG_2106_zps0bbc32e6.jpg

Step 3: Remove the Dings: This step was hard for me, I'm pretty handy when it come to DIY stuff, but I've never worked with metal, files, sanding or removing any kind of dings/dents at all. And of top of everything else, I was concerned about not removing too much metal while trying to straighten out and smooth/polish the metal. Basically I just took it real real slow, starting out by tapping any dings that were real bad (basically on the top line for the most part) then slowly and finger numbingly sanding it back out to a smooth finish. Considering how bad it started, I wasn't totally concerned about getting it perfect, I was more concerned about fixing the Major spots and smoothing out the minor ones the best I could with the sandpaper. After tapping out as many dings as i could I started with 220 grit sandpaper and worked my way up to 800 grit for the final metal finish. Not really knowing what I was doing, I just went real slow with the sandpaper and took my time. I put some before and afters below, definitley made a pretty big difference even if it still wasn't 100% perfect.

IMG_2101_zps5126f3ef.jpgIMG_2108_zps7beaedb3.jpg

IMG_2110_zps7ae1b158.jpgIMG_2100_zps34e9d948.jpg

Step 4: Apply the New Finish: After reading alot of reviews all over the internet on finishing carbon steel I decided to go with the Caswell Black Oxide Gel Kit (I was between using this one and the Shooters Solution one). The basic idea of the Caswells kit was to coat the head of the putter in the gel, let it sit for anywhere between 30 seconds and 5 mins. Then rinse it off, polish it up with 0000 Steel wool and repeat coats until you get the darkness on the head that you desire. A few things that I found when using this kit were, 1) for me it seemed to work best to apply the gel by finger (with a rubber glove) and rub like hell to get a smoother finish, I also tried applying with a q-tip but it was very streaky like that. Also, don't be bashful about caking this stuff on there, I found that the more you used the better it came out. 2) if you use the steel wool on the head immediatly after you rinse it and its still wet you will remove nearly all the finish you just applied. I found it best to apply the gel and let it sit for 4 mins, then rinse the gel off without touching the putter with your hand (just using water pressure from my sink faucet) then dried it off using a hair dryer on medium heat, once it was compleley dry, I took both 0000 steel wool and clean rags to buff it up between coats (some black comes off when you do this, but the finish seemed to stay on far better). 3) I ended up doing 6 coats of the caswells gel, but my first 2 coats were nearly totally removed because I used the steel wool on it while it was still wet. 4) the finish is going to look blotchy for the first coat or 2, don't sweat it, just buff it up and even out the finish the best you can between coats with the steel wool and rags and keep going, it will smooth out nicely in the end. NOTE: I don't have pictures between coats, and I'm not sure what coats these pictures are from, the sealer also makes it darken up at the end (I sealed it after paintfill)

IMG_2125_zpsd04fb16b.jpg

IMG_2126_zpse4315350.jpg

IMG_2127_zpsd9a62f11.jpg

IMG_2121_zps55062088.jpg

Step 5: Paintfill: There are tons of tutorials on here about doing the paintfill, I basically followed one of them, theres no rocket science to this part, just take your time and get it right. Its definitley tedious. I used a needle to apply the paint, then an acitone wash over the top to clean it up (while it was still wet). It took me a few tries to get it right but it happened eventually. I used Testors enamel paint, not sure that I'm in love with the color scheme yet but thats easily redone at any point.

IMG_2129_zps5ad47ec7.jpg

IMG_2130_zpsd57ca0bb.jpg

IMG_2136_zps4d5b8b02.jpg

Step 6: Apply the Sealer: There are a bunch of oil sealers that you can use. The Caswell Black Oxide kit comes with its own sealer, which is what I used, seems to have worked pretty well. It seemed to me that when I applied the Caswell sealer it gave it an even deeper black look then it had before it was applied.

IMG_2137_zps6e7995b1.jpg

IMG_2138_zps0ac6f39e.jpg

IMG_2139_zps7b1660da.jpg

IMG_2145_zps4526d29b.jpg

IMG_2141_zps240d11db.jpg

IMG_2142_zpscc74f42a.jpg

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. This forum has been a wealth of information for me, and I'm glad to help someone else out if I can.

• Like 1

Thanks for the inspiration to try the Caswell gel a second time. Didnt know what I was doing the first time when I was testing. Not a lot of detail info on applying the gel. I did as you suggest and applied, washed dryed and buffed. Only three coats, but like what I got. The sealer didnt make a lot darker, but I wanted a lighter finish. Left the weights as is and will add some paint fill later.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Wow, nice work. Saved some money, and it is always more rewarding when you did it your self.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='dbdors' timestamp='1376971670' post='7710296']
Thanks for the inspiration to try the Caswell gel a second time. Didnt know what I was doing the first time when I was testing. Not a lot of detail info on applying the gel. I did as you suggest and applied, washed dryed and buffed. Only three coats, but like what I got. The sealer didnt make a lot darker, but I wanted a lighter finish. Left the weights as is and will add some paint fill later.

[attachment=1842734:image.jpg]
[/quote]

Nice! That came out good! Glad you were able to use some stuff that worked for me. I agree the directions that come with the Caswells kit are beyond vague. The only reason that I tried the hair dryer on it was because I saw other cold blue / black ox solutions do it. I really didn't get any decent results until I started just rinsing it off with wayer, then drying it with a hair dryer before even touching it by hand.

That's one helluva DIY restoration there. You should be proud of yourself. Definitely keep and use that one forever.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

great job but its still broken......its a lefty!

Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
Callaway RFX 21* w/ Fubuki Tour 73g Stiff
TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
Callaway PM 54* & 58*
Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
The one's I hit into the woods and into the water.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I hate to dig up an old topic, but I would be remissced if I didn't say I'm damn impressed what you did with that Scotty. You took it from...

"WHAT THE F*** DID YOU DO TO THAT SCOTTY!? :angry22: "

to

"WHAT THE F*** DID YOU DO TO THAT SCOTTY!? :idhitit: "

[u][b]Golf Ball Whacker Guy[/b][/u]
Titleist 913D2 10*
Titleist 913F 15*
Titleist 913H 21*
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield Original 3-9
Vokey SM5 48* 52* 56*
Never Compromise Dinero Exec

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the exact same putter and am attempting to do a very similar restoration. When using the CLR, how long did you let the putter soak and what did you use to get all the rust off? I cleaned mine up tonight with the CLR but it does not look nearly that clean.

Also, do you have a link for the Caswell kit you purchased?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...