2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Putters - Why the Obsession?

Furrankee

seems like so much time is spent on them
Shouldn't people be more interested in getting the ball into the hole? How about perfecting their swing, or working on their short game?

I understand that putting is an essential part of the short game, but to obsess over making, buying, or customizing putters to 'show and tell'. I don't know. Obviously money isn't an issue with putter collectors.

Do you guys collect to resell? Or do you collect the way kids used to collect baseball cards back in the day? Just curious.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shouldn't YOU be more concerned about YOUR own game...

think about it..before you make a dumb post like that.

It's just a thought I had that I wanted to asked.

When I used to play baseball in college, I always had a wooden bat I would use to hone my contact skill before going to aluminum. Or softball, I'd used an old Easton before using the Miken Ultra during tournament play. Maybe I'm old school. I embrace and believe in technology, but we're talking about rolling a putt.

oh dont worry.. I'm here..

in any event you first sentence is insulting and was the main focus on my post. How do you know the "putter collectors" are not already working on their swings etc.. You dont ! Very bad assumption you made.

reminds me.. I better bring my mashie to the range tomorrow to hone my skillz

Because its the most used club in the bag and the club you have to depend on the most. It also has very little to do with money. Most people have a large collection of putters worth not very much. Just check ebay on the bulk dump of putters.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I like how you post and then quickly logged off to avoid confrontation. Sweetness.

You've raised a valid question. I often wonder what motivates a "putter junkie" (no offense meant) to try or buy so many different models. I've been very happy with my Anser 2 for the past 7 years, so I'm curious about the thinking behind some of the many putter fanatics on this forum. Is it a different look? A different feel? Change of moods? Change of conditions? Do you simply get bored with the same model? I seem to hole more putts with a familiar model I've played for awhile, is that different from your experience?

That being said, you'll catch more flies with honey than you will wth vinegar, furrankee. :cheesy:

Promiscuous putter lovers, please chime in. ;)

in any event you first sentence is insulting and was the main focus on my post. How do you know the "putter collectors" are not already working on their swings etc.. You dont ! Very bad assumption you made.

good point, I 'was' assumptive on my part, and I meant no offense on first sentence. but if people are spending a lot of their time, making, customizing, buying, collecting, and in general fiddling with their putters, where does that leave them for their swing, assuming that they work full time? not to mention talking about it on forums such as these.

I have 4, all Scotty Newport 2s. 1 3x black, 1 nickle, 1 oil can and 1 funky black coating (still not sure the finish is).

For me, I just wanted some different finishes on the putter I love.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

Because its the most used club in the bag and the club you have to depend on the most. It also has very little to do with money. Most people have a large collection of putters worth not very much. Just check ebay on the bulk dump of putters.

I wasn't aware of how cheap putters are sold on ebay. Hmm.

Honest opinion: It all comes back to romance. Let me explain...

When I die, my son is going to inherit the putter that my grandfather gave me. He'll be able to take it out on the course, and play 18 with it...just like I do now and then. If I tried that with a driver (or "Spoon" as it was called), I'd snap the thing in half on the back-swing.

There is no perfect putter for everyone. It's a trust thing. If you trust your putter, it doesn't matter if it cost you $50 of $5,000...you are going to sink putts with it...or think you can...which usually means you can...anyway.

So like I said...it all comes back to romance. I could elaborate further, but I don't think anyone would read it.

I have 4, all Scotty Newport 2s. 1 3x black, 1 nickle, 1 oil can and 1 funky black coating (still not sure the finish is).

4 putters, you aren't exactly a putter ho. I'm talking 10-15+ putters with more on the way! How can you choose when you're about to play a round?!

Honest opinion: It all comes back to romance. Let me explain...

When I die, my son is going to inherit the putter that my grandfather gave me. He'll be able to take it out on the course, and play 18 with it...just like I do now and then. If I tried that with a driver (or "Spoon" as it was called), I'd snap the thing in half on the back-swing.

There is no perfect putter for everyone. It's a trust thing. If you trust your putter, it doesn't matter if it cost you $50 of $5,000...you are going to sink putts with it...or think you can...which usually means you can...anyway.

So like I said...it all comes back to romance. I could elaborate further, but I don't think anyone would read it.

Perfectly said Doug!!

I only collect putters I would use, some just sit on display and dont get used, but there is always the chance it might.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

Not a great putter ho myself -- fiddled with a few putters for a round or two, but only made one long-term switch in the four years I've played. But, there is just SOMETHING about putting that makes it, and the club involved, just stand apart from the rest of the game . . . thus why it's sometimes referred to as "the game within a game."

Some observations as to putting's uniqueness, in no particular order:

1) There are a lot of bad ball striking days that get saved by lights-out putting, and great ball striking days wasted due to a balky day on the greens. I've heard the same from friends and playing partners. I've never heard someone say they've had a great putitng day ruined by ballstriking. "Scoring" just tends to happen on and around the greens.

2) Not everyone can hit a 300 yard drive or have iron/wedge shots rip back 10 feet. But . . . every golfer has a day where they feel like every putt will go in and every putt looks like cake. It's a much more accessible point of excellence in the game.

3) Putting seems like it should be the easiest thing in the world to the casual observer. Everyone admits that striking the sweetspot and controlling your shots is hard to learn, but it drives you mad when those 3-6 footers start staying out of the hole. It can be an enigma, and thus it can be fascinating.

4) As an entry point into being a golf club conoisseur or technician, there's no easier start than the putter. It's only 1 club, and no one thinks they are absolutely incapable of putting if they make a slight mistake in club selection, so it's a safer investment of time and money versus irons or drivers. For example, I know a guy who took more than a few holes to adjust to shaft flex when he borrowed my spare set. He still hit his putts, though. Hand me someone else's putter, I'll gladly stroke a few and maybe even play a round with it. Hand me someone else's driver or irons out on the course, I'll politely decline and save it for the range.

5) You can always "play golf" when you have a putter in the house. Not so much with irons, drivers, and wedges. So when it's cold outside, you still get your putts in.

I could go on, but I think I'm losing some focus here. Just some thoughts.

4 putters, you aren't exactly a putter ho. I'm talking 10-15+ putters with more on the way! How can you choose when you're about to play a round?!

I never said I was. I didn't realize there needed to be a minimum amount of putters owned to post in this thread. Sorry for replying.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

Tuff, How is your next post not insulting? Furrankee never called you out & there is no need to get your panties in a bunch about a post you don't like. This may be an instance of the pot calling the kettle black, but if you didn't like the topic then move on.

Anyways Furankee-

I make about 1/3 to 1/2 of my strokes with my putters so I think if I spend the time & effort (money) to get a putter just right, then maby, just maby I might find the "One" & stick with it for the rest of my golfing future. If I could afford to do this through the bag I would.

I buy alot of putters cuz they are purty. LOL I collect to have lots of shiny things floating around my house for when I get bored. By the way, I do work on the rest of my game as well, or I hope to god I do to be a +2 handicap. It's just that after you fnd a good driver, irons and wedges, the only thing that is really left are putters. Themore the merrier as they say. I'll let you in on a little secret...........A putter likes having other putters around. It makes it happy which causes it to make more putts. It's true. Ask anyone around. I have more putters than I know what to do with. Heck, when I go to play a round I normally bring 4-5 on the putting green and have another 5-10 in the car. To me you can never have to many. Some people collect cars, some drivers, some shoes, some bags and some of us collect putters. Just a fact of life. Damn...there I go rambling again

-CHRIS-

3) Putting seems like it should be the easiest thing in the world to the casual observer. Everyone admits that striking the sweetspot and controlling your shots is hard to learn, but it drives you mad when those 3-6 footers start staying out of the hole. It can be an enigma, and thus it can be fascinating.

I can see why buying another putter may solve all issues, but there could be a handful of non-putter related reasons why one misses a 3-6 footer.

It's funny because I realize I'm speaking from the "I'm tight on money" mentality. Maybe if I had additional spending money, I'd ho putters too.

I'm also looking for that 'one' putter I'll keep forever.

Tuff, How is your next post not insulting? Furrankee never called you out & there is no need to get your panties in a bunch about a post you don't like. This may be an instance of the pot calling the kettle black, but if you didn't like the topic then move on.

Anyways Furankee-

I make about 1/3 to 1/2 of my strokes with my putters so I think if I spend the time & effort (money) to get a putter just right, then maby, just maby I might find the "One" & stick with it for the rest of my golfing future. If I could afford to do this through the bag I would.

And by replying in this manner you are innocent in what regard? And by me quoting your posts I am just as guilty? ;)

Please, we're trying to delve into the mind of putter fanatics, a species sometimes documented in the wild, but more often captured in the world of golf forums via their posting habits. I'm honestly interested in their line of thought. So, let's please not spoil it by playing a game of semantics or Scrabble...maybe we all need to lighten up.

Believe me you don't want to delve into my mind......NOT even I venture there. LOL

-CHRIS-

So, let's please not spoil it by playing a game of semantics or Scrabble...maybe we all need to lighten up.

Did you know that semantics in scrabble was worth 13 points. You did bring tem up tgether.

There....gave you a glimpse into my mind. LOL

-CHRIS-

Let's keep this thread civil. People collect many putters over the years and alot of them cost very little in real world value. I suspect if you check the garages of many middle age golfers, they have bags full of putters from over the years that probably are worth more in scrap metal.

As to why the high end golfers collect or play expensive putters, that's up to them and their discretionary dollars. If you are frugal minded, you can do it with $10-$50 putters. Bigger boys can afford bigger toys.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Believe me you don't want to delve into my mind......NOT even I venture there. LOL

-CHRIS-

So, let's please not spoil it by playing a game of semantics or Scrabble...maybe we all need to lighten up.

Did you know that semantics in scrabble was worth 13 points. You did bring tem up tgether.

There....gave you a glimpse into my mind. LOL

-CHRIS-

You're good people, Chris. Thanks for understanding. ;)

LMAO, I was getting up when Chris was thinking of going to bed. Just now got to this thread. Many of the questions posed here are the VERY SAME ONES that my WIFE has been asking me for the last 5 months. Hmmmmmm, kinda gets me wondering. Anyway, since I bought her a "new" putter off Ebay last night (it should arrive in time for Valentine's Day) I think all will be right in the household.

;)

good point, I 'was' assumptive on my part, and I meant no offense on first sentence. but if people are spending a lot of their time, making, customizing, buying, collecting, and in general fiddling with their putters, where does that leave them for their swing, assuming that they work full time? not to mention talking about it on forums such as these.

Furr...... actually you stated your question well- and it was not "insulting" unless someone is pretty thin skinned. An assumption maybe..... but if that's insulting, hate to see how wimpy other kids are today LOL

Putters- Wedges- Drivers- all have been more of the focus of collectors for years. When macgregor Persimmons were King, The Driver made up for 75% of the Value of a set of 4 or 5 woods. Wilson Dynapower Wedges were very valuable. And the King of the hill were Wilson 8802- Palmer Designed by's and the Geo Low Wizard 600.

One reason for it----- they are the clubs people change most often. Why do companies pop out more driver and putter designs every year, more than irons?

Plus putters basically relate to every golfer of every skill level. Whether you are a Major winner or a Major Hacker...... some players will jump at a chance to try a new putter. Others are set in their ways.

I often find myself wondering why people change their Drivers and

wedges so often, but have no problem understanding being a putter

junkie. I find it so hard to "get comfortable" with a new driver that

when I do find one I like, I don't change it very often. Wedges are the

same way. (I do have to change my Lob wedge about once a year due

to the fact that they wear out). It takes me so many rounds just to get

comfortable that I hate to change them.

But putters, I have a "rotation" of about 4 right now that I will use on

any given day and I am currently looking for another to add to the stable.

It takes me about 1 or two rounds to get comfortable and I have some of my best

putting results immediately after a change. I don't really collect though.

I like to use the ones I have.