Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

My new super high-tech state of the art putting aid has arrived!

[attachment=3019394:20151104_080236.jpg]

This is to help keep my left wrist flat through the stroke and stop it breaking down. I have a habit of it breaking down slightly and then also my left arm bending and raising up on the followthrough - also causing the putter head to get very far off the ground too. Hopefully practice with this over the next few months should sort this out.

[url="https://youtu.be/WGjDV29XRik"]https://youtu.be/WGjDV29XRik[/url]

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Be careful with that rubber band pressure or you'll literally be practicing until your hands are blue. :)

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1446643454' post='12551010']
Be careful with that rubber band pressure or you'll literally be practicing until your hands are blue. :)
[/quote]
if left hand going blue keeps it flat through the stroke I wont mind ;)

Good idea! I noticed the #1W; it is such a good head.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1446820114' post='12560954']
Good idea! I noticed the #1W; it is such a good head.
[/quote]
yeah a works 1w - love it. ive got a versa 1w too but it just doesn't sit as nice as the works w1, it wants to rock shut slightly. I much prefer having the alignment line too even though I don't use a line on the ball, more just to ensure the ball is in the middle of the putter face.

just a lovely shaped head, slightly traditional but with that extra bit of stability.

That is interesting, my #1W wants to sit slightly open. It is really pronounced when I'm using my Eyeline Mirror. I don't notice it as much on turf.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='Schnee' timestamp='1446828762' post='12561590']
I considered a 1w for a while because I like the shape but I hate the line on it. I like the double bend shaft as well.
[/quote]
I didn't realize the Works version had the line. My Versa WBW #1W does not have a line, which I prefer.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1446828872' post='12561600']
I considered a 1w for a while because I like the shape but I hate the line on it. I like the double bend shaft as well.
[/quote]
I didn't realize the Works version had the line. My Versa WBW #1W does not have a line, which I prefer.
[/quote]

I like the versa WBW. That's what my #9 is that I'm using now. Lines the face up nice and square. A line on putters always looks like it's pointing way left to my eye.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1446828809' post='12561596']
That is interesting, my #1W wants to sit slightly open. It is really pronounced when I'm using my Eyeline Mirror. I don't notice it as much on turf.
[/quote]
I think it comes down to hand position in relation to the head, I set up with my hands quite neutral and forward press, with the works it sets up perfectly square when I aim and when I forward press. with the versa when I setup and aim it it wants to rock shut, once ive forward pressed slightly it squares up.

cant use a putter that rocks shut when I aim it though!

[/quote]
[/quote]
[quote name='Schnee' timestamp='1446829053' post='12561614']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I like the versa WBW. That's what my #9 is that I'm using now. Lines the face up nice and square. A line on putters always looks like it's pointing way left to my eye.
[/quote]
I think I would have a similar problem if I used the line for alignment but I don't, I have a tendency with the double bend shaft to view the putter head as if it stops at the heel end by the shaft, so then when I address the ball in the middle of the head as I see it, its actually out towards the toe. this image should give a better idea of what I mean.

[attachment=3022614:puttertoeaddress.jpg]

I don't know why I do this I just have a tendency to view the putter as the size of the blue lines, so the line on the putter helps me make sure I setup with the ball actually in the middle of the face. thankfully the paintfill on the alignment line means it doesn't really stand out too, which is nice, could be quite distracting otherwise.

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1446898646' post='12565172']
Really nice thread . I enjoy reading your progress.
I have a similar issue with putter . Aligning the ball more near the midline always feltabnormally close to heel to me. This is so well ingrained in head. Will have to program the brain to neglect the shaft as the end point .
[/quote]
Glad it's not just me! yeah does feel like I address it nearer the heel. Strange how the eyes and brain work. As if the game isn't hard enough my eyes want me to address it out the toe!

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1447007008' post='12570230']
I have a similar issue with putter . Aligning the ball more near the midline always feltabnormally close to heel to me. This is so well ingrained in head. Will have to program the brain to neglect the shaft as the end point .
[/quote]
Glad it's not just me! yeah does feel like I address it nearer the heel. Strange how the eyes and brain work. As if the game isn't hard enough my eyes want me to address it out the toe!
[/quote]

It's funny but I tend to do that with certain irons as well.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1447007008' post='12570230']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I think it's a combination of where we stand related to the ball/putter, the lie angle of the putter, and the shape of the putter head. I do the exact same thing, and have done it for years going back to when I used an 8802 style putter. Even with a mallet I address the ball a touch to the heel. At QMany's advice last year, I bought an Eyeline mirror and it was immediately exposed. However, when I'm actually playing, I think my natural tendency is to revert to the toe biased ball position because it's just more comfortable.

Toulon Palm Beach

My pro I used to have lessons with has thankfully moved back to the area, had a lesson with him yesterday. As good as online lessons are nothing beats an in person lesson. He has worked out the problem with me getting stuck and flipping. Its down to my right shoulder not moving down and out in enough, once he put me in the correct position coming down I realised this is exactly what I had thought I needed to work on ages ago back in March in post 113! http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry11062437

turns out im smarter than I realise and I should've kept working on that! it feels a hole world different at and through impact with more rotation in the correct axis, rather then being very vertical with my shoulders and flip. glad ive got some direction to work my way through winter with :)

was hitting a lovely draw that was only moving a couple of yards. when I hit driver it was a bit right still, he had me use a taller tee than normal (I normally tee it quite low so a small amount of the ball is above the top of the face) using one of the pink castle tees, BOOOOOOOOOOOM! 5 in a row absolute nailed with a tight little draw. amazing what changing tee height can do. So looks like i'll be buying a pack of these bad boys when I next go to the course:

pink%20tees%20.jpg

queue the girly comments on the tee next round

[quote name='Millbrook' timestamp='1447088167' post='12574362']
OK Dave, just pick up the lost ones by the [b][i]LADIES[/i][/b] tee.
[/quote]
it starts already :'(

im looking forward to getting comments on the 1st tee from people I haven't played with before and then proceed to smoke one down the middle 285. I mean *cough* 360 *cough, forgot this was golfwrx.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using 2 videos a lot this week to help me fix my putting issues. Firstly I've gone back to the original odyssey grip and ditched the flatso, with the wider grip I've felt as though my grip has been 'loose' and that the club head was moving around. Smaller grip and it feels a lot more together.

Then upon analysing my stroke where I slightly add loft through the stroke I found its not my left wrist breaking down but my head moving backwards and shoulders not rocking properly. It's all hands and arms getting disconnected.

This is a great drill to stop my head moving back but also to help keep the setup feeling solid.

http://youtu.be/gRoVZsAlua8

The second drill is putting with an alignment stick under my arms and against my chest, really helps feel how the shoulders should rock and not just use my hands.

http://youtu.be/V_mO7VDT2iI

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1448125296' post='12628066']
The second drill is putting with an alignment stick under my arms and against my chest, really helps feel how the shoulders should rock and not just use my hands.
[/quote]

I've done this before too. IIRC, Faldo and Leadbetter also featured it back in the late 80s early 90s in an instruction video.

Interestingly enough, I've struggled with the Flatso equipped putter, not the grip specifically, but the way I putt with it. And speaking of the late 1980s, I pulled out an old Ping Zing2, cut it down to 33", put a new Ping PP58 grip on it, and tried to putt like I did as a junior (more feel driven) with some good results.

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1448133321' post='12628448']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1448125296' post='12628066']
[/quote]

I've done this before too. IIRC, Faldo and Leadbetter also featured it back in the late 80s early 90s in an instruction video.

Interestingly enough, I've struggled with the Flatso equipped putter, not the grip specifically, but the way I putt with it. And speaking of the late 1980s, I pulled out an old Ping Zing2, cut it down to 33", put a new Ping PP58 grip on it, and tried to putt like I did as a junior (more feel driven) with some good results.
[/quote]
Yeah it just didn't feel solid anymore with that grip and I felt very inconsistent with it. Anything to give more confidence is a good thing.

I love the old Ping putter styles. Just a shame they are so light!

Really surprised how good the drill with the alignment stick works. Feels so different getting the shoulders working where's before it was all arms with no shoulders at all. Again leading to inconsistency

Another tip from I got was to feel like your chest/shoulders were moving the putter, and your hands merely holding it in place.

The putter is very light, look a few layers of lead tape on the sole to get it heavy enough. Then again, 20+ years ago, that's what we all used, without the extra weight.

Toulon Palm Beach

Been using 2 videos a lot this week to help me fix my putting issues. Firstly I've gone back to the original odyssey grip and ditched the flatso, with the wider grip I've felt as though my grip has been 'loose' and that the club head was moving around. Smaller grip and it feels a lot more together.

Then upon analysing my stroke where I slightly add loft through the stroke I found its not my left wrist breaking down but my head moving backwards and shoulders not rocking properly. It's all hands and arms getting disconnected.

This is a great drill to stop my head moving back but also to help keep the setup feeling solid.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]http://youtu.be/V_mO7VDT2iI[/media]

as it turns out if I just use one of these I do both of the things in the videos above, I use my shoulders and my head doesn't move back. Looks like ive found the aid I will be working with most this winter.

t_20013.jpg

I noticed a few times the heel of my 1w came off which showed I was opening up a bit too much on the backstroke then rotating through too much going through. I feel the arc glider they make would help with this but its not available in the UK, looks easy enough to try and find/make one though.

31666x%2BHkyL.jpg

On searching through old posts on here I found a few from Heath (Hstead) who uses/used the glider with his sklz putting trainer

Maybe this will help, maybe it will not but for me, the combination of these two aids help tremendously. My teacher is the Womens golf coach at Alabama and he has his team use these two aids every day. The girls have to make 50 strokes with the guide pressed against the arc, then 50 missing the arc, and then another 50 with the 2x4 close and they have to miss the arc, miss the 2x4, and hit a ball to a target. They won the National Title last year and a big part of it he said was that they all can make their short putts because they all have such good square strokes.

so some good drills there to do in my lounge through the winter.

the plan is to put the hours in in the lounge at home on the stroke so when I actually get on a putting green / playing I can just focus on speed and line and not worry about stroke. easier said than done I know.

Left wrist doesn't break down unless your left arm starts to slow down . Faldo always talked about feeling as if he had alittle lag maintained through acceleration through impact

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks on of using the arc and have already seen a good improvement in my putting. didn't miss anything inside 4 feet, lag putting was very good, I mainly attribute this to the consistency of strike, didn't misshit anything.

stroke felt very solid and even tempo felt smoother/better.

amazing what 5-10 mins a few times a week at home in my lounge has done, definitely will be working on this throughout the winter at home and hoping Father Christmas will bring me the smaller version so I can keep in my bag for practice at the course.

Had a really good session at the range last night...

I for one have always been guilty of ball bashing, hitting 20 7 irons, then 10 3 woods etc with a target in mind but no real visualisation to it or misses etc. I have limited time to practice as im getting older so I need to make the most out of my practice time. I remembered a Golf Digest article titled [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/story/youve-been-practicing-golf-all"]"You've been practicing all wrong"[/url] in which it talks about a scientific study of other sports and skills that people learn quicker when doing random practice rather than block practice (lots of different clubs vs 30 7 irons) the goal is still to hit quite a few shots with each club just not all in a row.

So I tried the age old adage of playing a round of golf on the range, something I've never tried. Proceded to visualise and play my home course. picking different targets out on the range so wasn't just aimed the same way every time, if I hit a wayward tee shot then pretended I was in the trees and had to hit a 15 yard fade or draw or high low etc, if I missed a green I then hit a pitch shot. What resulted was a very entertaining and enjoyable practice session in which I hit many different clubs and many different shots. Something I wouldn't normally do ball bashing.

Will be interesting to see if this has any affect on my game but hopefully it will. If nothing else it was more fun!

Does anyone practice this way currently or in the past?

I also feel like this will help ingrain the changes throughout the bag quicker as well.

Early days for me but I found this article by George Gankas very intriguing: http://www.georgegankasgolf.com/index.php/20-frontpage/frontpage/239-swing-tips

The key point he makes is that you should create a scenario where there is trouble somewhere and you want to miss always on the right side.

Anyway, well worth a read, hope you find it useful.

[quote name='QB74' timestamp='1449783159' post='12704584']
Early days for me but I found this article by George Gankas very intriguing: [url="http://www.georgegankasgolf.com/index.php/20-frontpage/frontpage/239-swing-tips"]http://www.georgegan.../239-swing-tips[/url]

The key point he makes is that you should create a scenario where there is trouble somewhere and you want to miss always on the right side.

Anyway, well worth a read, hope you find it useful.
[/quote]
interesting, thanks for posting. certainly sounds a good idea to incorporate into ones range time rather than just hitting balls

• 1 month later...

Winter update:

Me and my partner are into the Winter Foursomes final, I generally don't play much during winter so enter the 3 matchplay tournaments to keep me active and playing under pressure.

Been hitting the ball really well still working on my right shoulder movement. Especially well given most of the golf I've played has been alternate shot so hard to get into a groove.

Short game has been pants to put it mildly, needs a lot more work and definitely going back to Dan's thumbs down technique, need to be a lot more aggressive and committed to the shots, lots of pitches coming up short, need to have confidence and not be too cute with them.

short putting has been very good but distance control not great. Am switching back to conventional grip to see how that works. I originally switched to LHL to help remove a slight cupping in the left wrist and to square my arm and shoulder alignment, and putting conventionally again that seems to have gone through my work with the putting arc.

The cold dark boring winter days has also brought about the inevitable club ho'ing...

Not been completely happy with the Big Bertha Alpha 3 wood, so that's currently on ebay, and on its way to me now is an XR Pro 16* Project X 6.0, I have project x in my irons and in my old X Hot 3 wood so hope this suit me well. As a bonus it also comes with an XR Pro Hybrid 20*. Not that I have reason to get rid of my 18* X Utility, but will be interesting to see if I can hit this hybrid (normally all hybrids go left for me) and if so how it compares distance wise. the only draw back with the x utility is that its not great out of bad lies or rough, whereas the hybrid should be good from there. Watch this space.