Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

I've also been not enjoying the double bend shaft so much, although I love the head of my 1w, I much prefer looking at a classic plumbers neck, which could also tie in with why at the fitting the milled 2 was v. slightly better. I've also always loved bronze colours putters so when a Yes Callie i4 tech came up cheap on the bay I had to snap it up. love the look of it and love the look and feel of the original yes callie I have (although its too short for me and battered), hopefully the grooves on this will feel just as good. Cant wait to get it and give it a roll, it just looks stunning...

address.jpgpost-16875-0-12613400-1361940309_thumb.jpg

26884.JPG

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

That bronze finish looks great!

I'm still rocking the 1W. Threw a Flatso 1.0 on there and am committed for the year.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

That bronze finish looks great!

I'm still rocking the 1W. Threw a Flatso 1.0 on there and am committed for the year.

I prefer mine since I took the Flatso off, found I didn't release the putter as well with that and had a tendency to keep the face open.

I may end up sticking with the 1w, but this was too gorgeous a putter to not add to the collection, It looks a lot better than the 1w but all depends how it performs at the end of the day

I keep coming back to the T stroke to work on my forearm alignment, such a good aid for working on this if it's something you struggle with (and often a very overlooked issue).

t-stroke_lrg.jpg

3 wood and hybrid turned up today, 3 wood feels nicely heavier than the Alpha, can't wait to give them a hit on Saturday. Putter also turned up but am trying to return it, was describe as superb condition with a couple of v. small usual marks from use....

At least I can have a putt with it at home to see how it feels

3 wood and hybrid turned up today, 3 wood feels nicely heavier than the Alpha, can't wait to give them a hit on Saturday. Putter also turned up but am trying to return it, was describe as superb condition with a couple of v. small usual marks from use....

Yeah that top line mark would drive me nuts. If you paid with PayPal, item not as described.

I've eyed that model Yes! putter in the past on eBay, but never acted on the interest because I couldn't get over how thick the topline is. The finish though, looks great. Sorry to hear your troubles with the condition, hope you're able to get that resolved with minimal hassle.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Yeah that top line mark would drive me nuts. If you paid with PayPal, item not as described.

Yup, already proceeding through those channels.

I don't mind marks anywhere else on the putter but the top line has to be immaculate

I've eyed that model Yes! putter in the past on eBay, but never acted on the interest because I couldn't get over how thick the topline is. The finish though, looks great. Sorry to hear your troubles with the condition, hope you're able to get that resolved with minimal hassle.

The top line is quite thick however with the bronze finish it looks much less thick compared to the original callie.

It feels pure just like the original too

Until I can get a mint bronze finish callie this will have to do!

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry12938890

Back to the Flatso, Dave? Or is that a different SS grip?

No not the flatso just the normal 2.0. I like a pistol shape and a big grip but I seemingly can't stand the lower hand having a thinner bit. Might have to experiment when I get another callie i4 with a winn avs midsize with a load of tape under the bottom hand.

BTW, was able to get a return ok on the damaged putter.

Dave, do you find with the LHL putting grip that you tend to block the release a bit? I like the way LHL squares my shoulders but I release the putter much better conventionally.

Yes I do, the main reason I switched to LHL was to square my forearms and shoulders up. But after struggling with distance control a lot have decided to go back to conventional, and using the t stroke which I posted about above it is starting to feel quite natural setting up with my forearms parallel with conventional grip. I also release it better this way than LHL.

Which reminds of something Tiger said about Spieth? He said that JS was the only person he'd seen putt LHL who released the putter properly.

Am playing Celtic Manor 2010 Ryder Cup course this sunday so will be a good test of the putting on the big undulating greens!

I may prefer the look of a plumbers neck and classic blade putter, but I cant putt for **** with them.

on the brightside my short game was a lot better and am in LOVE with the XR Pro 3 wood. The hybrid was nice too, v easy to hit and didn't go miles left like hybrids normally do for me.

Tempted to get a garsen max grip and chuck it on my #7 to try.

So this turned up in the post and I fitted it onto my White Ice #7, I had the edge grip a while ago but was just too small so cut it off and went back to a different grip. The max however feels so much better in the hands, not only the size but also the material. my hands have always felt more comfortable on a big grip, this is quite big when measured but doesn't feel that big if that makes any sense. its probably between a superstroke 2.0 and a 3.0 but feels a bit more normal than a 2.0 does. Stroke feels great with the hands fitted that way on the club, I always struggle to get my thumbs on top of a normal grip anyway. Can't wait to give it a roll on the course, although sadly im very busy at the weekends currently so it might be a while before I can! roll on the clock change and lighter evenings. If it does perform I will get one and chuck it on my 1w too.

Anyone used a max before / still do?

happy golfing this weekend everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a lesson this weekend just gone, have been hitting the ball really well the last couple of months which is great especially considering hardly been playing or hitting the range. My driver had been an issue though, not in a sense it was wildly off line, in that I hit a small draw as stock shot, but with driver it was tending to be a fade or pull or draw, never going massively offline but I just didn't know what shot was going to happen, which isn't good.

Shoulder movement has improved since the last lesson, but my hands were moving a bit away from me and my left wrist coming down was a bit 'cupped' and the face slightly open and behind the hands. With everything else I could time the draw, not so with driver. So the answer is to get the wrist a bit flatter and a bit closer to me. Decided the easier way of doing this was to get it in that position at the top of the backswing and maintain it whilst working on hand path. Rather this than try and flatten it on the downswing.

On GC2 my face closing rate was around 2300, after a few swings I hit several around the 196 mark, so much less manipulation through impact!

Played sunday in howling winds and played really solid, apart from my putting. The 20* hybrid is staying in the bag and has knocked the 18* 2 iron out, something I never thought would happen. Checking yardages on GC2 it carries av.218 where the 2 iron was 215, so perfect yardage for what I want and is much easier to hit, especially out of unperfect lies. Also held its own when into the wind, not too spinny. And the XR Pro 16* 3 wood is possibly my new favourite club, the thing is just awesome, so easy to hit, and carries 235, again perfect yardage for what I want. Am going to keep an eye out for a 23* xr pro hybrid as a possibility to replace the 24* x utility 4 iron, as long as the yardage is right im sure it will be much more forgiving and easier to hit out of various lies.

Have the winter foursomes final Saturday morning so really looking forward to that.

I've also ordered one of these which should be here Friday, I always enjoy putting with my mates white hot 5 cs and I rolled a few sunday and it just looked great behind the ball and stroke felt great. There were no white hots for sale on ebay but managed to pick this Odyssey Milled Collection 5 CS up for a bargain of £80, if I don't like it they regularly sell for £130+ so will make money on it. I have a feeling I will though. Such a putter ho.

odmldcollection-10.gif

My Bombtech Grenade putter looks pretty similar. Enjoy.

you get on with it well? there seems to be something I really like about lining up a centre shafted putter, especially on short putts

My Bombtech Grenade putter looks pretty similar. Enjoy.

you get on with it well? there seems to be something I really like about lining up a centre shafted putter, especially on short putts

Yes I do thanks. Had to experiment a bit changing to a mallet but I agree about lining up a centre shafted putter.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Something I'd also like to share is that I haven't videoed my swing at all the last few months, not at all since the lesson in November, can't remember when I did before that. It has certainly free'd me up from mechanics and over complicating things. Just working on the feel from the lesson. To me there is no point in me videoing 3 swings at the range trying to pinpoint the difference, its not going to be that noticeable and will probably look wrong as either I or the camera will be in a slightly different position to before.

Obviously I want to improve the mechanics of my swing but videoing it and trying to analyse everything just doesn't do any good. End up over thinking it rather than just trusting what im working on and trying to hit the shot.

I've also had a putter length realisation. When I got fitted for my 1w I was gripping LHL, and 34 inch at this length sets me up perfectly. However I've found to setup perfect with conventional grip I have a very bent left arm. Either that or setup with huge tilt and that hurts my back. Or as I have found myself doing. Setting up with my eyes inside the line. The solution... and I checked with my pro yesterday and he agrees, is that for conventional grip I need a 33" putter to allow my arms to hang straight. So I'm going to keep the 1w at 34 for LHL and make my milled 5 cs 33. Here is a photo showing the differences. From left to right... LHL, conventional at 34" , conventional at 33".

As you can see much better arm position with conventional grip at 33".

Dave, what sort of toe hang does it have? I'm assuming it would be the same as the standard steel callie, and a mid toe hang?

Is it a BeCu material or SS with a copper coating? I've had a go of the Ping Anser Karsten TR, which is a stainless steel with copper coating, and that feels amazing, perhaps the best feel in a putter I've tried.

EDIT:- I missed where you'd described it as bronze.

Dave, what sort of toe hang does it have? I'm assuming it would be the same as the standard steel callie, and a mid toe hang?

Is it a BeCu material or SS with a copper coating? I've had a go of the Ping Anser Karsten TR, which is a stainless steel with copper coating, and that feels amazing, perhaps the best feel in a putter I've tried.

EDIT:- I missed where you'd described it as bronze.

yeah normal toe hang as the callie's do. Interestingly I tried the ping and didn't like the feel, everything felt like thinned it.

I did putt well with the 5cs on Saturday, ordered an odyssey white hot pro grip to replace the winn 1.18 it came with so will chop it down when that turns up this week

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a 4 day trip to Portugal with my mates, played everyday, the Old course @ vilamoura, Gramacho, Vale de pinta and Palmares.

Had played the first 3 before and always love the old course, but what a course Palmares is! absolutely stunning sea views everyhole as well as being a superb course.

Played pretty solid all 4 days, considering we got in about 4am and teed off about 10 each day :) hit the ball real well on rounds 1 & 4, even when I didn't in the other 2 rounds I still scored well even though I wasn't striking it. most of the dropped shots for the week were from 3 putts, the greens were crazy fast and had so much slope on them. Leave yourself in the wrong spot and you were happy to only be 6 foot past the hole.

Happy with the shape of my game, got my first tournament a week sunday which is all the club champions in the county so will be some decent golfers there, looking forward to it!

Happy with the shape of my game, got my first tournament a week sunday which is all the club champions in the county so will be some decent golfers there, looking forward to it!

Go low, brother! I'm excited for the tournament season to get started, mid-April for me.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I'd like to say that this is the first I've seen of this thread but now I've read every page and will keep following. I love watching swing journeys :)

Thanks very much, glad you enjoy it! As I've said before this isn't just a story for me but hopefully it will help others in similar situations and just help people generally!

Will try and get a video up this weekend as haven't posted one for a while. Just for reference sake. Will also do a WITB