2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

after looking at some video of my swings from last night I had a light bulb moment, I realised that my hands work too out and at p6 my right hand is on the inside of the grip with the face fairly open. Can't rotate the body from there, all manipulation with shoulders backing up and arms extending to get shaft lean (almost exactly shown in the DW video below) Need to get the right palm on top of the club at p6 with the face squarer to the spine angle. From there the body can rotate.

Here is a video I made showing what I mean for reference:

IMO you can really see the difference in how the body moves in relation to the different hand paths/movements, when the right hand is on the side you can see how my left shoulder works higher and stays closed for longer, EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS IN MY SWING! getting the hands working better and the shoulders are more level and are more open at p6.

Dan Whittaker video:

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

How strong is your grip at address ?

Pretty neutral, 2 - 2 1/2 knuckles visible on left hand.

whys that?

whys that?

How you grip the club determines alot of how it looks in certain positions in the swing.

It isn't possible to have the right hand facing down at P6 with a 5 knuckle grip.

Try a one knuckle left hand grip, it is very hard to not have the right hand facing down (assuming matching left and right hand grips).

whys that?

How you grip the club determines alot of how it looks in certain positions in the swing.

It isn't possible to have the right hand facing down at P6 with a 5 knuckle grip.

Try a one knuckle left hand grip, it is very hard to not have the right hand facing down (assuming matching left and right hand grips).

Are you a teacher? Or a better player than Dave?

Are you a teacher? Or a better player than Dave?

Try focusing on the content. Discrediting users based on teaching status and handicap seems illogical. Feel free to disagree with anything I say based on the content. I love being wrong because I usually learn something when I am wrong.

:)

I'm trying to focus on context. I.e. the worthiness of the source trying to give information in virtually every thread. And in some instances, to exceptionally good players.

after looking at some video of my swings from last night I had a light bulb moment, I realised that my hands work too out and at p6 my right hand is on the inside of the grip with the face fairly open. Can't rotate the body from there, all manipulation with shoulders backing up and arms extending to get shaft lean (almost exactly shown in the DW video below) Need to get the right palm on top of the club at p6 with the face squarer to the spine angle. From there the body can rotate.

IMO you can really see the difference in how the body moves in relation to the different hand paths/movements, when the right hand is on the side you can see how my left shoulder works higher and stays closed for longer, EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENS IN MY SWING! getting the hands working better and the shoulders are more level and are more open at p6.

Dan Whittaker video:

Grats man on the feeling. Has there ever been a functional swing "PRO" swing where the left hand was higher? Just curious.

As someone who is currently fighting from too much lower body lateral movement towards the target, have any tips DD? Using V1, I'm perfect until the start of the downswing and then the right side gets away. Just want to get feelings from people who are better and/or further along.

Thanks!

Dan Whittaker video:

Grats man on the feeling. Has there ever been a functional swing "PRO" swing where the left hand was higher? Just curious.

As someone who is currently fighting from too much lower body lateral movement towards the target, have any tips DD? Using V1, I'm perfect until the start of the downswing and then the right side gets away. Just want to get feelings from people who are better and/or further along.

Thanks!

when you say right side gets away do you mean you have to much slide towards the target in the downswing? if so try a feeling that the right knee gains flex and the knee cap stays pointing to 12 o.clock til half way down. bit of a GG move, check some of his videos out.

Dan Whittaker video:

Thanks!

Might this help;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JalAVnzZBoY

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Went out today for a practice round on the course I've got a 36 hole stroke play comp on Sunday, this is an open qualifying track and is a beauty.

Been working on my light bulb moment above a lot. I was hitting absolute lasers with my irons today.

Birdied the first. Then 450 yard par 4 hit 2 iron off the tee. Rolled out nice and had 174 left. 7 iron, 1 bounce and a bit of check straight in the cup for an Eagle. Can't remember the last time I holed out from so far out. Made a few course management errors on the rest of the front 9 which was good to learn from, but ended up shooting a 3 under bogey free back 9 to shoot 2 under.

Short game was on point too. Playing in a golf day tomorrow at another course so hopefully keep the momentum going. It's not a great condition place so not expecting loads.

Also made a training club like the one in the DW video and similar to the cowan aids. Had an odyssey midsize putter grip lying around so put that on my old sand wedge. Really helps with that feeling for the hands at p6.

Was also seemingly hitting the ball further mainly with the irons but will see if that was due to the heat and wind or a byproduct of the swing in time

Great discovery, DaveD! I used to over rotate my lead forearm in the backswing, my own fix for the clubface problem is at p3 making sure the lower edge of the clubface is parallel to the spine.

Just wondering out loud whether this is similar to Mike Malaska's model. I guess not, Mike advocated stand the shaft up. The fixes here are for standing the club head up or the lower edge of the clubface being parallel to the spine at p3 and p6.

Glad it's working for you Dave however you have just caused me to cancel a club fitting.

That DW video is great. Went to the range after watching it and hit the ball straighter than ever with forward shaft lean and small divots.

As a flipper the feeling was unlike anything I'd experienced before.

Second session terrible shanks as the new and old combined.

dare not go for the fitting I had booked next week until I can get the new approach ingrained.

to expertise.

Sorry but not sorry then! Great to hear your success in your first session. Will always take a while to ingrain. I hit some balls yesterday and wasn't quite there but no its the right direction to head in.

Another absolute gem from Dan Whittaker this week! 2 mins 50 onwards is my exact takeaway! All arms and no turn.

Sorry but not sorry then! Great to hear your success in your first session. Will always take a while to ingrain. I hit some balls yesterday and wasn't quite there but no its the right direction to head in.

Hit the range 4 times last week to work on this. Discovered that my old backswing was too flat - probably what I needed to sling and flip. When I make it a tad more upright I can hit down on the ball better.

I have always favoured a flat lead wrist at the top and think I was achieving this by rolling the lead forearm. However I tried bowing the lead wrist a bit in the takeaway rather than trying to do it at the beginning of the downswing and this seems to help. The club face matches the spine angle in the takeaway and stays like that so no manipulation later on.

Not sure this is recommended but for a flipper it seems to remove the handsy approach.

I'll be happier going for the fitting when this has settled so thanks Dave.

to expertise.

Hit the range 4 times last week to work on this. Discovered that my old backswing was too flat - probably what I needed to sling and flip. When I make it a tad more upright I can hit down on the ball better.

I have always favoured a flat lead wrist at the top and think I was achieving this by rolling the lead forearm. However I tried bowing the lead wrist a bit in the takeaway rather than trying to do it at the beginning of the downswing and this seems to help. The club face matches the spine angle in the takeaway and stays like that so no manipulation later on.

Not sure this is recommended but for a flipper it seems to remove the handsy approach.

I'll be happier going for the fitting when this has settled so thanks Dave.

Your welcome, glad my thread/searching can help others!

[media=]

[/media]

Another absolute gem from Dan Whittaker this week! 2 mins 50 onwards is my exact takeaway! All arms and no turn.

Watched this after my last post and what he says about rollling the arms is exactly what I said I was doing. last lessons I had the guy was a Leadbetter devotee and wanted me to stop the one piece takeaway and go for the early wrist c0ck.

Another good find Dave.

to expertise.

[media=]

[/media]

Watched this after my last post and what he says about rollling the arms is exactly what I said I was doing. last lessons I had the guy was a Leadbetter devotee and wanted me to stop the one piece takeaway and go for the early wrist c0ck.

Another good find Dave.

again you're welcome, I think I will always have some wrist c0ck in the takeaway/ first half of the backswing and think there should be a gradual cocking, in my swing however I had been having no turn at the start of the swing and getting disconnected going back

Shot 73 & 71 in the 36 hole comp on Sunday. It's a par 72 course that is used for Open qualifying so very happy with the score, both rounds should've been a couple of shots better really but played very solid. Came 4th in the gross and 2nd in the nett.

Hit the ball very consistently, working on the one-piece drill and the downswing p6 drill.

Putting was again good and hit some good chips too, did struggle out of the sand, partly poor execution partly poor quality which others noticed too, something I need to work on though.

Waiting to hear on the CSS for the 2 rounds but should get cut at least 0.2 hopefully more as there were lots of very high scores in both rounds.

Will be near enough a full shot (1.7 to 0.8/0.7) I've come down in the last 3 months since making some changes after club champs. swing feels like it's getting more and more consistent and the putting results are night and day since working on stroke and using a line on the ball.

Only a few competitions left before winter so hopefully a couple of good scores will get me down to scratch! Have a 4bbb semi final sunday, also the scratch final later in the month.

Now its been updated I am officialy a 0.6 handicapper. My goal for this year was to get into the 0.somethings and I've achieved it. Now to push on in the last few remaining comps to get down to scratch!

Last 5 competitive rounds since switching to using a line and the protype, unbelievable improvement in putting. Before that I was losing about 1.3 shots around putting, nearly 3 shots better now!

short game is getting better, the stats are a little skewed in that it doesn't take an up and down for birdie on a par 5 as short game it counts it as GIR, so the short game isn't as bad as stated but still needs more work and I know that. It's getting better though. Bunker game needs work - there's always something!

Dave- as you've adopted a more rotational swing has it had any effect on clubhead speed?

Certainly mid irons up are 5-6 yards longer.

I probably could hit the shorter ones further but don't want to really. My gaps are good.

Now its been updated I am officialy a 0.6 handicapper. My goal for this year was to get into the 0.somethings and I've achieved it. Now to push on in the last few remaining comps to get down to scratch!

Last 5 competitive rounds since switching to using a line and the protype, unbelievable improvement in putting. Before that I was losing about 1.3 shots around putting, nearly 3 shots better now!

short game is getting better, the stats are a little skewed in that it doesn't take an up and down for birdie on a par 5 as short game it counts it as GIR, so the short game isn't as bad as stated but still needs more work and I know that. It's getting better though. Bunker game needs work - there's always something!

Awesome!

This thread, Schnee's and Q's are examples of serious attempts to get better and it is really generous of you to put it all out there and share the ride. Lots of good stuff gets in these threads. Thanks.

really well done, love reading these threads, how much time do you out in a week?

Awesome!

This thread, Schnee's and Q's are examples of serious attempts to get better and it is really generous of you to put it all out there and share the ride. Lots of good stuff gets in these threads. Thanks.

Thanks, glad others enjoy reading my ramblings. Writing down things for me is good / therapeutic for my game but my main aim of it all is that hopefully others will find bits of info from my swing work and my experiences and help them improve too!

really well done, love reading these threads, how much time do you out in a week?

Thank you, through the summer I play normally once a week at weekends possibly twice some weeks, and get 1 60-90 minute practice session in after work. I do spend a few minutes most days on putting / swinging in a mirror at home. somewhere between 10-20 minutes roughly. mainly working on my putting setup.

winter months that normally drops to 1 practice session and 1 round every 2 weeks

Here's a picture of the putter grip on a sand wedge aid that I've been using, goal like in the DW video is to get the flat part of the grip pointing up at p6. I do also have a 2 thumb grip on another wedge that is on at a different angle because I couldn't find out more info behind the reasonings behind it, and figured it made sense to have it flat with the face, doesn't very well, it's good for awareness but the grip is just so big it feels very odd making swings. This has an odyssey midsize winn that I had lying around and is a much better size and doesn't feel too odd sizewise.

I also had a go at stamping my putter up, I had done an old scotty a few years ago so thought I'd give it another go to personalise it. Started with my initials on the toe of the putter, I thought that the head was quite soft but it didn't half take quite a few wacks with a hammer to get the imprint. Very happy with how it turned out, it did double bounce once on the left hand side but due to the milling its barely noticeable up close and certainly not from distance. Used a fine permanent marker to paint fill it. I was going to do my name on the bumpers too but given how long & how many blows it took to get the initials done I decided against it. The initials came out really well so was worried I might end up messing it up whereas how it is now looks awesome. Plan on changing all the black paintfill on the putter to blue to match my football teams colours (Crystal Palace)