2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maui - Jan 2014

npham

I'm headed back to Maui and wanted to ask a few questions, so I though I'd start a thread. I've decided that my soon to be father in-law and I would play the following(plus my questions):

1. Plantation Course(we are arriving the Wednesday after the PGA makes their stop here).

- We will probably reserve the first twilight time and show up early to play. Or should we reserve something earlier? He likes to golf in the morning typically.

2. The Challenge/The Experience

- I remember a deal for the ferry ride and both green fees but I can't find it anymore. Anyone recall what I'm referring to?

3. Some other course TBD - Makena looks like it's going to private to hotel guests or members, so maybe Ellair, Royal, or Wailea.

- Other than GolfNow, is there another site where you can get cheap last minute tee times?

Thanks in advance.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Maui about 3 months ago. I booked all my tee times through the Maui Golf Shop which is close to the airport. They are pretty laid back there which concerned this east coast boy but they took care of everything and it all went off without a hitch. They will arrange everything you need for the trip to Lanai, including the ferry.

Plantation is much less windier in the morning, but still really windy whenever you play. If you want the best ideal conditions (though it might be overcast) play in the morning. If you want to save some money and just enjoy the course play the first twilight time you can get. That's what I did and I'd do it again.

I looked all over the web and couldn't find anything cheaper than what was offered by the Maui Golf Shop. I do believe you can get a deal on the Lanai trips if you sign up to listen to a time share sales pitch, if that's your thing.

Let me know if you have any questions. I played the Challenge, Experience, Plantation, Wailae, and Royal when I was there.

Check out ezlinks for some pretty good rates on about 5 courses.

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1380235214' post='7916325']
I'm headed back to Maui and wanted to ask a few questions, so I though I'd start a thread. I've decided that my soon to be father in-law and I would play the following(plus my questions):

1. Plantation Course(we are arriving the Wednesday after the PGA makes their stop here).
- We will probably reserve the first twilight time and show up early to play. Or should we reserve something earlier? He likes to golf in the morning typically.
2. The Challenge/The Experience
- I remember a deal for the ferry ride and both green fees but I can't find it anymore. Anyone recall what I'm referring to?
3. Some other course TBD - Makena looks like it's going to private to hotel guests or members, so maybe Ellair, Royal, or Wailea.
- Other than GolfNow, is there another site where you can get cheap last minute tee times?

Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

I'll probably play the twilight rate at the Plantation course, and then go through the Maui Golf Shop for the Lanai trip. Thanks for the tip on the shop, I forgot the name of the place but I was there the first time we went to Maui.

Plantation is good anytime of the day, better sun in the afternoon, less wind in the AM and less grain. Take your pick.....

You should try King Kamehameha, it can get really windy, but the course is the best value on Maui. Much better course than Royal IMO, I would also consider The Bay Course..

You're obviously calling ahead, but I just played the Challenge and the Experience 3 weeks ago and there was talk of major renovations to one of the courses (the Experience if I remember correctly) starting in January.
If you're hoping to play both courses, and your trip hinges on doing both, you might be out of luck.
Just a heads-up.

[quote name='bmaas03' timestamp='1380834206' post='7949015']
You're obviously calling ahead, but I just played the Challenge and the Experience 3 weeks ago and there was talk of major renovations to one of the courses (the Experience if I remember correctly) starting in January.
If you're hoping to play both courses, and your trip hinges on doing both, you might be out of luck.
Just a heads-up.
[/quote]

That really sucks if the are going to be course renos going on. It's going to be the last time we are in Maui for a long time(2 times in 2 years is usually enough for us to get sick of a place). We might still go over to Lanai and play the non reno course because the fiance and her mom will probably do a spa day type of thing. But we have lots of time to line up courses.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1380733888' post='7942825']
Plantation is good anytime of the day, better sun in the afternoon, less wind in the AM and less grain. Take your pick.....

You should try King Kamehameha, it can get really windy, but the course is the best value on Maui. Much better course than Royal IMO, I would also consider The Bay Course..
[/quote]

King K's advertised "Guest for a Day" rate is $170. Perhaps you could clarify the "best value on Maui" comment, at least for a non-resident? We played it last year and got a bit of a deal as part of a negotiated small tournament rate ($80-$90 I think plus a group lunch charge) but that was probably a fair value IMO. We are heading back in November and for sure the deals seem less.

Got a response back from them, not good news. I arrive on the 8th and it's shutting down on the 6th:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The[b] Experience at Koele Golf course will be closed indefinitely starting January 6th[/b]. It is not anticipated to be reopened until closer to the end of the 2014, though those dates are still to be determined."

Is it still worth it to play The Challenge? Anything else to do on Lanai besides golf?

The Challenge is by far the most spectacular golf course I've ever played. I've never played Pebble Beach, but I can't imagine PB being much better than the Challenge Course. The Experience *might* be a better course from the purist standpoint but the ocean views of The Challenge can't be beat. If I went back to Lanai I'd probably play The Challenge twice. I've heard you can rent a jeep on Lanai and drive around the island, that might be fun to do. Be warned that the joke is Lanai is Hawaiian for 'it costs how much!?'

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1381334195' post='7975845']
Got a response back from them, not good news. I arrive on the 8th and it's shutting down on the 6th:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The[b] Experience at Koele Golf course will be closed indefinitely starting January 6th[/b]. It is not anticipated to be reopened until closer to the end of the 2014, though those dates are still to be determined."

Is it still worth it to play The Challenge? Anything else to do on Lanai besides golf?
[/quote]

Bummer about Koele. The Challenge is a fantastic course and is usually in better condition than The Experience. I played it last month and it was in great condition. You'll have spectacular ocean views on many holes. Bring a camera. They've cut down a lot of invasive trees and it has opened up the views. It isn't the most difficult course in Hawaii, but you'll have fun. The replay rate is decent as well, although I've never played it when I haven't stayed in one of the hotels on the island, which affords you discounted rates. Replaying on either course is a breeze. In my 4 stays on the island, we've barely bumped into or waited on any holes, playing 36/day.
Lanai also has shooting ranges, jeep tours/rentals, and boat tours.

It might work out better to play it once because the soon to be MIL and fiance could get bored waiting on the island for 2 rounds. 1 Round is much more manageable. What is the best time to play the Challenge.

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1381871207' post='8006603']
It might work out better to play it once because the soon to be MIL and fiance could get bored waiting on the island for 2 rounds. 1 Round is much more manageable. What is the best time to play the Challenge.
[/quote]

After playing it about a dozen times over the last 2 years, I've never felt like we were held up. It's the nicest non-busy course I've ever played. You might bump into one or two groups all day, no matter what time you play.
It does get hot at the Challenge, so you might want to avoid mid-day, bring sunscreen.
They're fairly strict about carts being out too late as well. 6 pm, I believe.

• 2 months later...

Well my trip is finally close, and I'm just prepping my last few things. But I had a few last questions to ask.

1. Should I try to save some cash and play at 1PM at the Plantation course? I'll play whether it's hot or cold, but I was more worried about the trade winds.
2. I think I will play 4 days, Dunes, then Ellair, then Plantation and finally 36 holes on Lanai. Should I switch up the order? Any advice on how to play these courses?

Maybe the Maui Golf shop can give you input for booking your Lanai day, then plan the rest around that?

I haven't played the Plantation (partly for the cost for the chance of reasonable playing conditions) but I've seen the winds at the course in the early afternoon and to me it's false economy. You can still get wind in the am, but it's not like you have a second chance. I can't see you getting cold though even if it rains.

[b]I[/b] think from your first post you arrive January 8. The Plantation course may be closed till January 11 due to the golf tournament, looking at the Maui Golf Shop site: "blackout" on bookings.
Edit: The Plantation website says closed till Jan 7, so maybe it's just the Maui Golf Shop restriction, with expected demand after the closure. I certainly saw more people teeing off there this year while we had lunch than the past several years.

I didn't like the Dunes layout the couple of times I played it in 2011 and 2012, or the fairway condition, (just my opinion), and it can be windy too. (Good restaurant though.) As can any of them for wind, the farther north one gets.

We came back Dec 15 from three weeks away and kept to the more bargain courses: Elleair (also closer for us), Kahili and Pukalani. Pukalani wasn't in great shape in 2012 but this year we found it to be in the best shape we've seen it the last four years and was in the best shape of all three mentioned. Not that other two weren't ok, especially for the price at the time.

You never know with the weather at Kapalua. I just got back and had perfect weather all week, played the Plantation for the first time ever that it was not windy and the forecast that day showed heavy wind. I can guarantee that it will not be cold during the daytime at most you will need a very light pull over. Personally if I were you I would try to play the Plantation as many times as possible and then go to Lani.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back the other day, and the golfing was great. Great weather and great people. Plantation is definitely worth the money, and the Bay course is definitely overpriced(but what isn't in Maui). If I were to do it over again, I would get in on the skins game to play those courses instead of the twilight rate. Greens at both courses ate me up. I should have played the Bay first and got used to the greens a little, but I played it the other way around. So many 3 putts.

Pukalani was in great condition, and going through GolfNow made it an incredible value. Conditions were great too. Elleair was ok at best; service was spotty. Kahili was a good place to play with the fiance as it was wide open. Value was average, maybe a tad expensive.