The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

Probably hasn't been an easier pick all year then the Clippers tonight. Already a 8-4 edge in fouls in favor of the Clippers (expect this to get worse, this will definitely be a make up game officiating wise)...Clippers will lead all night and win by 10-15 points at least

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I just can't believe Jack is at a LAC game, WTF is the world coming to? LAC loose this game and they have really ruined a great opportunity with the Lakers being a non factor. Basketball means a lot to the city of LA and the Sterling thing had a lot of people feeling sorry for the Clippers. Loose this and that momentum is gone. Sterling has an incredible skill of ruining things.

It's going to be interesting to see if they can come back again. If not I could see many players demanding to be let go.

Obviously the game has not gone at all like i thought here. I honestly was so sure the Clips would roll in this one. Not over yet of course, but i thought this would be a blowout

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

crap, now i owe people stuff.....stupid friendly gambling

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1400216968' post='9306405']
I just can't believe Jack is at a LAC game, WTF is the world coming to? LAC loose this game and they have really ruined a great opportunity with the Lakers being a non factor. Basketball means a lot to the city of LA and the Sterling thing had a lot of people feeling sorry for the Clippers. Loose this and that momentum is gone. Sterling has an incredible skill of ruining things.

It's going to be interesting to see if they can come back again. If not I could see many players demanding to be let go.
[/quote]

The Clippers are going to be the best team in LA for the foreseeable future so don't get your hopes up.

As crazy as the 1st round of the playoffs was, the 2nd round was kind of a bore outside of the OKC/LAC series. I also find it intriguing that, despite the craziness of the 1st round, the top 2 seeds from each conference made it to their respective conference finals.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1400218222' post='9306485']

[/quote]

The Clippers are going to be the best team in LA for the foreseeable future so don't get your hopes up.
[/quote]

Not if Donald Sterling drags this on and the players rebel like they say they will.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1400218333' post='9306495']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not if Donald Sterling drags this on and the players rebel like they say they will.
[/quote]

Even if LAC gives Redick a max deal and finds 5-6 other white guys to play with him, they'll still be a better team than what LAL put on the floor at any point this season. :cheesy:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Clippers can win 55 games every year for the next five, get tossed in the first or second round while the Lakers are at home and this will still be a Laker town. Some things will never ever change.

I mean look at this map.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2061986-map-shows-breakdown-of-each-nba-teams-fanbase-based-on-facebook-data

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1400218444' post='9306497']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Even if LAC gives Redick a max deal and finds 5-6 other white guys to play with him, they'll still be a better team than what LAL put on the floor at any point this season. :cheesy:
[/quote]

You don't honestly think that's funny, do you?

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1400218666' post='9306513']
[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1400218444' post='9306497']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You don't honestly think that's funny, do you?
[/quote]

You honestly didn't miss my sarcasm, did you?

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1400278377' post='9310713']
Ibaka out for the season with a calf injury. Goodbye OKC title hopes.
[/quote]

Most likely, he is a tremendous interior defender.

The Jackson/Westbrook/Durant/Collison/Adams lineup was fantastic yesterday. But even if they keep it up they have very little depth now. They'll probably have to play Perry Jones a bit.

I honestly still think it will be a very competitive series. And OKC still has a chance to win it.

But if they were the favorite before the series, they are not now

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/05/17/cp3-witch-hunt-needs-to-stop/?ls=iref:nbahpt3b

Interesting, not really sure i know how to feel on this subject. Sometimes i feel like the Clippers get off fairly easy. I mean compare them to a team like the Thunder who are [i]always [/i]criticized. Compare Paul to Westbrook, who just gets killed by some people (though some people have been converted too since 2-3 years ago).

The Clippers gave Paul a bigger contract then Lebron James. That is important, because you have to pay Blake, you are going to have to pay Deandre again probably 12-14M after next season. They are basically capped out, and will have to hope someone like Paul Pierce goes there for the veteran min a la Ray Allen

Why does it seem like Blake doesn't establish himself enough in the playoffs? It still seems like you can't just give him the ball and say "go score". You're paying Deandre a lot and he is a big liability late in games due to free throw shooting. Jamal Crawford is borderline unusable if you can't hide him on a poor offensive player

A couple of days ago Simmons wrote a piece questioning if the Thunder will ever win. The Clippers have supposedly the best PG in the world and a guy who finished #3 in MVP voting this year. They've won 1 playoff series the past 2 years and are capped out. Why do they get off so easy?

if the Thunder had lost to the Clippers, guys like Skip Bayless would've masturbated onscreen to the final boxscore while throwing darts at Russell Westbrook's picture. Doesn't it seem like LA gets off a little easy?

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Nobody cares about the Clippers, everything that they do gets overshadowed by a Kobe Tweet or Mitch quote. The only way that they make headlines is when their owner gets exposed. Put their roster in Purple and Gold and the scrutiny will come. Their entire fan base (other than the ones that actually know they drafted Lamar) are content with big dunks and beating the Lakers in the regular season.

I agree though that CP3 needs to play more like he did against the Lakers while in NO and Griffin needs to limit fouls and be more consistent in the post. I disagree with Jamal, the guy can get 50 any given night, so he's not unusable. It will be interesting to see if they improve much after their second season with Doc, regardless they are still a key piece from being a legit contender, they need less mediocre players and another top tier guy, I don't see it ever happening.

On the radio here yesterday, they were talking about whether or not Chris Paul could win a title being the best player on his team. Interesting question, considering that he's probably the best PG in the game, and I don't think he can.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

I said last year that his contract was a big deal. He has one of those grandfathered contracts where he is getting a LOT of money. 21-24M per year. That's more then Lebron or KD.

Chris Paul is an outstanding player, but with the amount of very good players in the league right now, it makes it borderline impossible to have 3 max guys when you are paying one 20+ Million. And if you have 2 max guys, they better be Durant/Westbrook caliber, or Lebron James/Anyone caliber

I have no doubt CP3 could win a title on the right team as the overall best player, but i'm just not sure the Clippers are the right make-up and it will be really tough to change it. You look at teams like Spurs or Pacers, they aren't paying anyone over 15M. Paul wanted his money and got it. But it may cost him titles

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1400356171' post='9314763']
On the radio here yesterday, they were talking about whether or not Chris Paul could win a title being the best player on his team. Interesting question, considering that he's probably the best PG in the game, and I don't think he can.
[/quote]

Are we sure his even the best PG in the west? I would take Westbrook(Even though he drives me crazy at times),Parker(When Healthy) and Lillard ahead of him.

Did anyone hear about Deron Williams wanting out of Brooklyn. I Don't know who would take him outside of Houston maybe.

Deron Williams for 18-21M is essentially untrade-able. He is basically a middle of the pack point guard. He was 44th in the NBA in drives per game. I believe had 1 dunk all season.....And averaged 14-6 on albeit respectable 45% shooting (36% from 3)

By contrast a guy like Jeff Teague has an 8M salary, almost 1/3rd of Williams, is one of the top guards in the league in drives and gave Indiana fits. And i would say Teague is better then Williams

If i needed a PG, rather then take on his salary, and have to give up assets for the right to burn money....i'd offer Patty Mills 5-7M a year first, or Kyle Lowry 13-14M a year if you want to throw money around

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Speaking of next year, i kinda feel like Pau Gasol and Paul Pierce are the hidden gems of this years class. Gasol in particular...Because couldn't you see one of those guys pull a Ray Allen and take far less money just to win?

Pau has made 160M dollars in his career. I mean....160M dollars!

Couldn't he just say "screw it, i'm going to sign in OKC or Miami for 6M" or something?

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1400362773' post='9315173']
[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1400356171' post='9314763']
[/quote]

Are we sure his even the best PG in the west? I would take Westbrook(Even though he drives me crazy at times),Parker(When Healthy) and Lillard ahead of him.

[/quote]

Calling Westbrook a PG is like calling Lebron a PG. Parker is too old and (as you mentioned) always hurt to about to be hurt, and while I really like Lilliard, he's just not as proven as Paul. My problem with Paul is that it seems like he lacks that killer instinct that it takes to win a title. He literally crumbled the last 2 games when it was crunch time.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1400367836' post='9315425']
Speaking of next year, i kinda feel like Pau Gasol and Paul Pierce are the hidden gems of this years class. Gasol in particular...Because couldn't you see one of those guys pull a Ray Allen and take far less money just to win?

Pau has made 160M dollars in his career. I mean....160M dollars!

Couldn't he just say "screw it, i'm going to sign in OKC or Miami for 6M" or something?
[/quote]

He could, but I think he thinks that he's still got a lot of gas left in the tank. I bet somebody overpays for him.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

Kevin Love has apparently told the Wolves he's not interested in signing a long term deal with them this summer. Meaning either they become a contender by next year (unlikely) or they lose him.

It's hearsay but apparently the Warriors and Bulls are preferred spots. I don't really think the Bulls make sense for him, Carmelo makes a lot more sense in Chicago with their defensive prowess. To get Love you'd have to give up Taj Gibson/Mirotic and maybe even Jimmy Butler. You're basically destroying the team to hope that Derrick Rose can still play

The Warriors are such an obvious choice for Love that going anywhere if GSW is available would be ridiculous. A Love/Curry pick and roll would be the most devastating play in basketball. Pairing the best shooting PG and the best shooting big man on the same team would be terrifying.

I doubt Barnes/Lee would get him. But the Wolves would be nuts to turn down Thompson/Lee, and that trade (despite how good Thompson is) would make sense. A Curry/Iguodala/Barnes/Love/Bogut lineup would be really something

The Wolves really have no leverage now that it's public. And no team is going to trump that offer unless Love commits to an extension. Something he may not do

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I was thinking a bit about OKC/SA today on my run....What i think they need to do, assuming that Adams/Collison/Westbrook/Jackson/Durant becomes their main lineup, is play small whenever they are not going with that 5 some

OKC can't bang with SA especially without Ibaka, so best thing to do is a complete 180 in my opinion. Play Durant at the 4 and trust that your mismatch is better then their mismatch. Let them give it to Splitter or Duncan every time, who is going to cover Durant on the other end? If you want to keep Kawhi Leonard on him you need to stick Splitter or whoever in the corner to cover Sefalosha or Fisher or whoever. Or they can shift Leonard to small 4, and then OKC has shifted the game into their strengths.

I really think giving Durant heavy minutes at 4 might be their best option. Trust that doing that screws up SA's defense more then your own

It also would have helped if they didn't completely murder Jeremy Lamb's confidence, because at 6'7 with range he'd probably look nice in a Westbrook/Jackson/Lamb/Durant/Adams small ball lineup for switching purposes

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I haven't seen any trades that I really like so far, but the Thompson/Lee trade intrigues me. Thompson would lock down the 2 spot for the next decade(if he would even stay past his contract), and Lee is one of the more underrated players in the league. That's the problem though, would someone like Thompson stay here for more than a couple of years? I'd rather get a bunch of draft picks instead of Thompson/Lee for 2 years.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1400438269' post='9318855']
Kevin Love has apparently told the Wolves he's not interested in signing a long term deal with them this summer. Meaning either they become a contender by next year (unlikely) or they lose him.

It's hearsay but apparently the Warriors and Bulls are preferred spots. I don't really think the Bulls make sense for him, Carmelo makes a lot more sense in Chicago with their defensive prowess. To get Love you'd have to give up Taj Gibson/Mirotic and maybe even Jimmy Butler. You're basically destroying the team to hope that Derrick Rose can still play

The Warriors are such an obvious choice for Love that going anywhere if GSW is available would be ridiculous. A Love/Curry pick and roll would be the most devastating play in basketball. Pairing the best shooting PG and the best shooting big man on the same team would be terrifying.

I doubt Barnes/Lee would get him. But the Wolves would be nuts to turn down Thompson/Lee, and that trade (despite how good Thompson is) would make sense. A Curry/Iguodala/Barnes/Love/Bogut lineup would be really something

The Wolves really have no leverage now that it's public. And no team is going to trump that offer unless Love commits to an extension. Something he may not do
[/quote]
IMO Chicago and GSW would be my choices If I Was Love. GSW go play with Curry in California or go play in Chicago with Rose (Who I think is one of his best friends) and Noah.

Lee+Thompson and a few Picks should get if done if your GSW. Chicago should get it done with Boozer(Expiring Deal),Nikola Mirotic(Best Player in Europe), Plus draft Picks from Sac and Cleveland which are protected and Pick 16 in this draft. They are the 2 best offers they can get from the teams that Love would sign a extension with. Lakers have 1 asset the pick they get this year. However they'll be stupid to trade it. If turns out to be a top 4 pick. New York has nothing to offer. The Wild Card in all this is Boston. They've got alot of Assets and Have a selling point of being the Celtics and they have Rondo and Brad Stevens. Plus Cap Space in a year or 2.

Great win by Indy today. They are a Great Matchup against Miami.