2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sawmill Golf Course closing (at least for now)

Vintage1976

[quote name='unlucky' timestamp='1382488114' post='8042791']
I did not expect you to get into details, just a rough estimate is all I was looking for.

I would assume with this "management " company will run the course with more inline cost and start making making money with a year or. 2
[/quote]

I'd be pretty confident that they will turn a profit in year one by simply trimming the fat

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. If a private company looks at the numbers and sees an adequate revenue opportunity, that is why they're going to agree to taking on the course in the first place. But for the rounds reported from that course, the "fat" seems to be killing them.
I feel bad. Haven't been to Phalen in EONS. Grandpa used to tell me stories about the sand greens back in the day, and his Keller caddying days.

We were told that we would have the financial information for the course over the last couple of years because it is a city and public run entity, but I have not seen that as of yet.

I would be interesting to see if the FAT is at the city level or the course level. I look around and really only see about 5-6 full time people. A head pro, head green keeper, assistant green keeper and 1-2 full time people in the pro shop. The rest are high school/College kids. So I wonder where is the fat really at?

[quote name='Stuge' timestamp='1382805942' post='8061181']
Getting back to the original topic, I don't believe Sawmill is closing at all. The lease was up on the course and the current operators were unable to renew. The people who own Sawmill already have a management company lined up to run the place going forward.
[/quote]

Thanks for the update. I wonder who owns the website then? As of now, the link on post 1 is still working and still claims Sawmill is closing. Sour grapes maybe?

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

913F 15* - RogueBlack80-S

913HD 20* - GS95-S

FGTour 4-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385

I think they just closed Sawmill early this year to start the transition to the new management. In all the stories in the paper, it was evident they are not closing for good. I'm sure once the settlement was reached, the current operating group had no interest in it anymore and any expenses they'd incur getting it ready for next season.

[quote name='Stuge' timestamp='1382829417' post='8062441']
I don't think the lease expires until Oct. 31, which means the previous (some might say bitter) operators are controlling the message to this point and it seems they would prefer people think the Sawmill will be closing for good. I do believe the course will open under a new name.
[/quote]
The article I read, there were three or four lawsuits by the land owners and every one of them found in favor of the operating group.
Would you be bitter if you were them? I might be.
I've had no interest in that course for years, but I doubt if they're open they're going to sabotage it with the website and say its closed. THAT *would* open them to legal challenge if they are indeed responsible for the web site. Considering they won all the legal challenges, I doubt they'd do that.

I don't blame the previous operators at all for trying to make patrons think the course was closing for good based on what has occurred, but you can be the judge. Here is something that appeared in the Star Tribune and the quoted source is apparently staff and management "officials".

The Sawmill Golf Course in Stillwater will close permanently Oct. 31 after 30 years of play to allow the staff and management team to focus its efforts on its sister course, the Loggers Trail Golf Course, officials said. Both courses are owned and operated by Sawmill Golf Club, Inc.
“Thirty years ago a small group of golfers signed a lease on a nine hole cow pasture and turned it into an eighteen hole golf destination that focused on providing a great golf experience at a great price,” company President Dan Pohl said. “We are very proud of what we accomplished, and we want to thank all the people who played and contributed to the great golf experience at Sawmill.”
Sawmill officials also announced plans for construction at the Loggers Trail course, at 11950 80th St. in Grant, including a pro shop, restaurant and special events venue.
“We hope to be breaking ground on the new facility next year,” Pohl said.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='lbj273' timestamp='1396533546' post='9010431']
Just heard that a private management company will be running Sawmill for the next 5 years and the new name is Stillwater Oaks
[/quote]

do you know the name of the management company? would be interesting to see there business plan to make money. I have seen and been part of meeting for the phalen management group and it seems different.

Just heard that a private management company will be running Sawmill for the next 5 years and the new name is Stillwater Oaks
[/quote]
Wow. I think they could have done a little better with the name. Especially with Oak Glen essentially right across the street.

Heard from a buddy his home course- Sundance Golf & Bowl, is shopping for new owners and is in limbo about opening up at all this year. That one surprised me. Was in really nice shape when I played it last year and the men's leagues had it hoppin' the afternoon I was there.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1396726074' post='9027283']
[/quote]
Wow. I think they could have done a little better with the name. Especially with Oak Glen essentially right across the street.

Heard from a buddy his home course- Sundance Golf & Bowl, is shopping for new owners and is in limbo about opening up at all this year. That one surprised me. Was in really nice shape when I played it last year and the men's leagues had it hoppin' the afternoon I was there.
[/quote]

It's both the bowling and golf that are apparently shutting down. My nephew was there bowling with his father when they announced it over the sound system. The bowling leagues still going on were forced to find new homes mid-season.

Might make things a bit stickier for me in terms of tee times. :(

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1396727524' post='9027415']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1396726074' post='9027283']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's both the bowling and golf that are apparently shutting down. My nephew was there bowling with his father when they announced it over the sound system. The bowling leagues still going on were forced to find new homes mid-season.

Might make things a bit stickier for me in terms of tee times. :(
[/quote]
Yeah, I suppose the bowling alley only added financial pressure on top of the golf course. At least I played it once.
Keller being shut down you could see a slight decrease in avail tee times this side of town.

• 2 months later...

I played it last week. Fairways are terrible; greens are fair. I still like the course a lot - think like it better than Loggers Trail across the street. NHL player Paul Martin was there the last time we were out there a year ago, so he must have heard it was an okay layout to play it with the money he's making.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

There's just a crap load of dead grass. I talked to one of the staff and they said something about the lack of "spraying" (with chems) the last couple years, and that they were working on it and that it would get better. Nevertheless I just moved my ball in the fairway to spots that had good grass. I would still go out there though and likely will play it again this year some time.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]