2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Prefered method to ship set of irons

hardten

USPS is horrible. I have a box that looks like a forklift went through it as proof. All three sides of the triangular box were damaged. One side had was completely cut through. Needles to say, the shaft was broken. A few days later another box arrives damaged via the USPS. If you do use them, make sure you buy insurance since they are not liable a per the Quote from the Priority Mail FAQ:

"Note: To process and deliver the huge daily volume of mail in a timely manner, we use high-speed automated mail processing equipment; occasionally this equipment malfunctions causing damage to a few pieces of mail. The Postal ServiceTM is not held liable for damages occurred during the processing or handling of mail matter under Title 28, Section 2680(b) of the U.S. Code, except for the items listed above."

Their tracking is horrible. The tracking data updates after the club is delivered and you have no idea where it is during transit. Unlike UPS which seems to update at every leg of the trip.

I have shipped and recieved multiple iron sets, drivers, putters etc. via UPS and have never had a problem. Plus they insure the first $100 for free.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from jaemscd: UPS. I like the tracking number for bigger items and is is usually cheaper. May take a little longer than Priority Mail for that distance though.

Priority Mail is cheaper for single clubs, but more for a whole set of irons. And the post office sucks.

All I can say is that we at the USPS delivered everyday in Northern Indiana last week in the Blizzard of 2007. I had a package arrive at the staging house for UPS 25 miles away from my house on Tuesday Feb 13th. I got it on Friday Feb 16th. So much for there good service. As for cheaper, for the same services, same and time frame No one can sell cheaper than the USPS as per Gov't regulations. Then what happens if a package is ent overnight guarantee and it doesn't arrive till second day? USPS refunds ENTIRE cost NOT UPS only the difference between Overnite and second day. I shipped a set of clubs to a guy in Canada via USPS AIR PARCEL POST insured. The total cost was 26.50. Except for the 8 days the package sat in Canadian customs the total time was 6 days. Not Bad and that wasn't even Priority, which isn't available on items of that weight. So enough of dissing the USPS. Best in the world.

Some suggestions on shipping, no matter which parcel service you use.....

Try to use unmarked boxes. UPS' thefts are fairly common. Plus you'll only get back $100 per package shipped max if UPS determines they are at fault. Avoid boxes that scream "Golf Clubs Inside" that are marked TAYLORMADE or PING, etc, etc.

While using USPS don't just opt for Delivery Confirmation, get Signature confirmation as well. I'd insure the items too if they are over a certain dollar amount. The receipiant will have to sign for the package, but at least you'll have actual proof of delivery. Not just proof that the Post Office left it at the door.

Check around on your pricing. USPS, and I believe UPS and FEDEX have online calculators to show a ballpark price on how much your package will cost to ship. All you will need are the dimensions, to and from Zip codes and weight.

Some suggestions on shipping, no matter which parcel service you use.....

Try to use unmarked boxes. UPS' thefts are fairly common. Plus you'll only get back $100 per package shipped max if UPS determines they are at fault. Avoid boxes that scream "Golf Clubs Inside" that are marked TAYLORMADE or PING, etc, etc.

While using USPS don't just opt for Delivery Confirmation, get Signature confirmation as well. I'd insure the items too if they are over a certain dollar amount. The receipiant will have to sign for the package, but at least you'll have actual proof of delivery. Not just proof that the Post Office left it at the door.

Check around on your pricing. USPS, and I believe UPS and FEDEX have online calculators to show a ballpark price on how much your package will cost to ship. All you will need are the dimensions, to and from Zip codes and weight.

Good stuff...

UPS you get $100 default insurance, you can insure it for more.

I always use insurnace for USPS, but hate the signature confirmation as a receiver, but understand on the sender side why you would do it.

I also check them all every once in a while to see how they compare. Distance is a big issue. USPS is faster for longer distances, for the most part. I recently sent 3 packages out from Cincinnati via USPS to Alabama, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. Mass was 2 days, Alabama was 3 days and Penn was 9 days! That was when I learned that Priority Mail was 2-3 days with a max of 14.

I do not care about the slight cost differences, and will go with FedEx due to their guaranteed delivery, which is backed up by $, and the ease of drop off with my schedule. To each his own, and I think this thread was a good discussion of the various carriers. Your points on the boxes was something I never really thought about before. Uline is a good source for generic boxes.

One last question, for USPS shippers what do you do for a driver? They do not have a bigger box than the triangular 38" tube, right? I assume it is the same box you would use for FedEx or UPS?

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

One last question, for USPS shippers what do you do for a driver? They do not have a bigger box than the triangular 38" tube, right? I assume it is the same box you would use for FedEx or UPS?

When I am doing business on eBay, I am usually turning over clubs that I previously purchased.

Therefore I usually keep all of my boxes, especially those driver, fairway wood sized ones. I try to cover up any golf related markings on them prior to shipping as I pointed out in my previous post. Blank UPS Shipping label stock usually does the trick.

Plus I work in logistics and have access to plenty of boxes. UPS is our main carrier but I prefer USPS for my eBay business.

As a USPS employee I will be the first to admit we make mistakes. Guess why? We are human. But for the $ I'll still use the USPS. And as for picking up at your door I do it. If you use the USPS.com website you can print your mailing label, postage, and with this method and Priority mail, you get FREE Delivery Confirmation.

Plus with "Click and Ship" your carrier will pick it up the next day. GUESS WHAT also FREE!!!

AS for on time delivery, Look up the stats. Priority mail is delivered in its time frame (2-3 Days) 98.6% of the time nationwide!

If you choose "Express Mail" you are GUARANTEED overnight delivery to 99% of all addresses in the 48 states.

If it isn't delivered by 3PM on the day promised you get 100% of your postage back. With "Brown you only get the difference between one and two day rates returned (unless they havve changed it) Some guarantee!

Can't Speak for Brown But will gladly speak PROUDLY for the USPS!!!

As a USPS employee I will be the first to admit we make mistakes. Guess why? We are human. But for the $ I'll still use the USPS. And as for picking up at your door I do it. If you use the USPS.com website you can print your mailing label, postage, and with this method and Priority mail, you get FREE Delivery Confirmation.

Plus with "Click and Ship" your carrier will pick it up the next day. GUESS WHAT also FREE!!!

AS for on time delivery, Look up the stats. Priority mail is delivered in its time frame (2-3 Days) 98.6% of the time nationwide!

If you choose "Express Mail" you are GUARANTEED overnight delivery to 99% of all addresses in the 48 states.

If it isn't delivered by 3PM on the day promised you get 100% of your postage back. With "Brown you only get the difference between one and two day rates returned (unless they havve changed it) Some guarantee!

Can't Speak for Brown But will gladly speak PROUDLY for the USPS!!!

I agree my friend. I have shipped a lot of packages this past year from eBay and from the BST here and I mean NEVER ONCE have I had a package not arrive in 2 days. I've shipped a few to CA from VA and all have been 2 day...for $8/club. That'll be at least $25 for 2nd Day Air via UPS. And my post office is 8 min. down the street. Closest UPS Store is 25 min. And free shipping supplies...I got all that stuff here in the garage. I couldn't use UPS for eBay...people freak out when they club isn't there in less than a week. From VA to CA is I believe 6 days not including weekends for UPS. When it gets there in 2 days via USPS, that's good b/c people have no clue as to transit times for UPS. I often don't buy stuff from people who ship UPS Ground if they aren't on this side of the Mississippi.

I go FedEx except for shipments to Hawii and Alaska (usps priority)

$100.00 insurance is included in the price and additional insurance is reasonable, tracking numbers easily available, customer service is excellent.

Plus if you set up an account attached to a credit card billing you save 10-12% off fees.

Thier cost of shipping to a business I have found to be cheaper than usps or ups.

The cost to ship to home delivery tends to be about 1.00 more but they take a little more care in when and where they deliever thier package. UPS tends to as I call it RING AND RUN!