Bradley Hughes, Impact, the truth about your swing.

mpluis

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't understand all the hate out there. Brad shot 68, 70, 71, 67 to get a top ten. Not bad for a guy near 50, who is a teacher and rarely plays competitively. ABS is a method that really has helped me. Don't give a you know what if it is Hogan or not...but like I said I get compared to Hogan a lot and end up getting beaten up by Hogan wannabes a lot. If you guys want to tear ABS down if that makes you feel better about yourself that is your problem, not mine.

As far as the baseline way right, that helps take left out of the picture. We create a situation where you have to work aggressively to hit it straight. Our miss is right, not left. Never had an issue with early closing. Of course sending the arms out in DS can work, but the miss becomes a pull, and a pull is usually long. A method should manage the miss, and ABS does.

[quote name='nfbandon' timestamp='1385302619' post='8199030']
Don't understand all the hate out there. Brad shot 68, 70, 71, 67 to get a top ten. Not bad for a guy near 50, who is a teacher and rarely plays competitively. ABS is a method that really has helped me. Don't give a you know what if it is Hogan or not...but like I said I get compared to Hogan a lot and end up getting beaten up by Hogan wannabes a lot. If you guys want to tear ABS down if that makes you feel better about yourself that is your problem, not mine.

As far as the baseline way right, that helps take left out of the picture. We create a situation where you have to work aggressively to hit it straight. Our miss is right, not left. Never had an issue with early closing. Of course sending the arms out in DS can work, but the miss becomes a pull, and a pull is usually long. A method should manage the miss, and ABS does.
[/quote]

Personally I find it hard to discount ABS as insanity because it sounds like it's teachers are both pationate at what they do, who played at the highest level, and that can still hit the ball with the best of 'em. These mods are thinking outside the box which golf could use for sure. Anyone who's read that famous TGM thread JE started years ago would have to conclude that he's no dummy.

One question, how do you hit a draw the ABS way with all the super flat gear and drills to block out left side of the course.

We work the ball with post impact intentions. Exit under plane for a fade and over plane for a draw. This will cause the body to act a bit differently, and the advantage of that is you have very different feels, and it feels like you have to make a big effort to get a subtle change in ball flight.

Someone said post impact doesn't matter cause the ball is gone. You will never understand ABS as long as you cling to that belief. The fact of the matter is that focusing on post impact causes changes preimpact.

[quote name='nfbandon' timestamp='1385308309' post='8199338']
We work the ball with post impact intentions. Exit under plane for a fade and over plane for a draw. This will cause the body to act a bit differently, and the advantage of that is you have very different feels, and it feels like you have to make a big effort to get a subtle change in ball flight.

Someone said post impact doesn't matter cause the ball is gone. You will never understand ABS as long as you cling to that belief. The fact of the matter is that focusing on post impact causes changes preimpact.
[/quote]

Good post. I don't know much about ABS, but would definitely agree with the exiting stuff.

Lots of Callaway Stuff

[quote name='nfbandon' timestamp='1385308309' post='8199338']

[/quote]

Nfbandon,

Would that work under pressure in tournament play? What you think about during the golf swing happens much later, not the other way around, right?

VS

P.S.: I think the "hate", if you can call it that, is from the fact that both JE and Brad claims it's Hogan based. Only when the Hogan-ites ("wannabes" per your vocabulary) point out the differences that suddenly the claim is disclaimed. Why use the Hogan name then?

Another P.S.: Nobody could look like Hogan, even Tour players. So no-one knows what's happening on Hogan's swing? Nobody? ABS gurus has and can say stuff re Hogan, and when disagreed upon the ABS groupies claim nobody can disagree because they don't look like Hogan coz nobody does, which if course includes JE, Brad and you? What kind of reasoning is that?

Last P.S.: Why did you not choose to be a Hogan wannabe and instead decided to be a Brad wannabe?

ABS seeks to have control of te face through the strike, just as Hogan, Knudson, Snead, Peter Senior, Doug Sanders, Lee Trevino did and Garcia does, among others. It is not a Hogan method, but Hogan is admired and studied. Now if you guys have Hogan nailed, please demonstrate. I would love to see it and learn from you. But dismissing ABS by calling it names or calling it O' Grady discarded trash is, at best, disrespectful, and at worst meanspirited and hateful.

I am not a fan of the model, which might have to do with me not even knowing all of the pieces to the model, but I recall in one video I watched Bradley specifically stated that Hogan is not the model for what he teaches. He clearly states it in one of his videos so I am not certain where all of the fuss is coming from about Hogan? He says something to the effect that "Hogan was a great ball striker, but there where many other great ball strikers too" and then mentions something about Hogan not being the "model".

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='flatnstuck' timestamp='1385349839' post='8202420']
Abs teaches no such position. They have a different P system than MORAD, but it's amazing how hard the concept of hip high to hip high is for some to grasp. One might almost draw the conclusion that some are being intentionally obtuse.
[/quote]

Yes we know that , what I said was show me one of the great ball strikers that has the left arm in a long way at p5 like abs seems to . Looking at the 4 examples you listed it's obviously not the case . What's the theory behind having the plane shifted so far right , it's tendency is to have a cf
Type swing from there . Is that the reason behind all the "cut hard left" theory on the greats . Why would they need to do that when they are not way inside at p5?

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1385341369' post='8201672']
I am not a fan of the model, which might have to do with me not even knowing all of the pieces to the model, but I recall in one video I watched Bradley specifically stated that Hogan is not the model for what he teaches. He clearly states it in one of his videos so I am not certain where all of the fuss is coming from about Hogan? He says something to the effect that "Hogan was a great ball striker, but there where many other great ball strikers too" and then mentions something about Hogan not being the "model".
[/quote]

Hstead,

Not what's happening in real life. Plus he has more vids using the Hogan name than saying they're not using Hogan. It's just an afterthought after the comparisons and valid questions.

VS

Abs teaches no such position. They have a different P system than MORAD, but it's amazing how hard the concept of hip high to hip high is for some to grasp. One might almost draw the conclusion that some are being intentionally obtuse.
[/quote]

Are the greats you described doing this through impact ? What's happening before is obviously effecting the hip to hip you speak of
You can't see this?

Once again, Abs doesn't teach that position. Advance those sequences to hip high and you'll see what BH and JE are striving for. Club tracing the right forearm, face somewhat open, and the club on the 4:30 line as they would call it. The intent is to save rotation for the strike through the finish while using forearm rotation preserve wrist angle and steepen through impact. From there one has to use aggressive level body rotation and ground pressure to maintain shaft flex as long as possible and to square the club with the idea being clubface closure control, a pressured strike and a predictable miss.

They're very big on post impact intents influencing preimpact movement.

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1385350759' post='8202504']
[/quote]

Yes we know that , what I said was show me one of the great ball strikers that has the left arm in a long way at p5 like abs seems to . Looking at the 4 examples you listed it's obviously not the case . What's the theory behind having the plane shifted so far right , it's tendency is to have a cf
Type swing from there . Is that the reason behind all the "cut hard left" theory on the greats . Why would they need to do that when they are not way inside at p5?
[/quote]

I hope they address this post. Very good.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1385351318' post='8202550']
[/quote]

Are the greats you described doing this through impact ? What's happening before is obviously effecting the hip to hip you speak of
You can't see this?
[/quote]

I'm sorry.... You'll have to be more specific with what's wrong here. For reference he's ripping a long iron off a wet wooden deck in loafers. No mean feat.

For all the ABS'ers out there, would it be fair to say that the emphasis in the teaching is that the [u]shaft[/u] be laying on the "4:30" line at some point in the swing? At what point in the swing does this need to happen? P5? P6? somewhere in between P5 and P6? Drill for MOD 1 seems to imply that this needs to happen at P6.