Bradley Hughes, Impact, the truth about your swing.

mpluis

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dairic' timestamp='1384617833' post='8157980']
[quote name='nfbandon' timestamp='1384611231' post='8157708']
Flatnstuck,

Thanks for the shoutout. Here is a recent swing, which John really liked:

http://youtu.be/BNSR8igDSlA
[/quote]

Very nice I like it.

Is keeping the left leg bent through impact like you do part ABS protocol?
[/quote]

Not Grady, but ABS very much focuses on pressuring the right foot in the downswing, pinching the two legs together to stabilize for the strike and accelerating up to the finish. I haven't seen JE or BH put a lot of info out about the left leg doing much other than the squeeze and responding to the pivot.

Flatnstuck,

http://youtu.be/BNSR8igDSlA
[/quote]
does anyone else see a bit of Henrik stenson in this swing?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

As far as knee flex, yes that is desired. I have more than some because I am 6'4" playing gear 6 degrees flat. The flat gear is encouraged in ABS for various reasons. We drop into the ground, and then use the ground to pivot against. We do not believe in pivoting aggressively immediately, but rather we add knee flex in transition, then rotate our forearms and then pivot at and post impact. The later pivot pins the arms to the body and prevents any flip. You can see good clubface control on this swing.

[quote name='nfbandon' timestamp='1384637763' post='8159078']
As far as knee flex, yes that is desired. I have more than some because I am 6'4" playing gear 6 degrees flat. The flat gear is encouraged in ABS for various reasons. We drop into the ground, and then use the ground to pivot against. We do not believe in pivoting aggressively immediately, but rather we add knee flex in transition, then rotate our forearms and then pivot at and post impact. The later pivot pins the arms to the body and prevents any flip. You can see good clubface control on this swing.
[/quote]

Cool. Knee flex reminds me of Byron Nelson or George Knudson is a lot of ways.

[quote name='dairic' timestamp='1384640312' post='8159242']
nfbandon,

One thing that I'm not clear about is ABS is supposed to be a "hitters" protocol, but not like TGM right arm pistol like thrusting motion. If it's not swinging, and it's not TGM hitting, then how are you hitting exactly?
[/quote]

I believe it's "hitting" in that there is active forearm rotation through impact (to release pa2&3), as opposed to a true TGM swinging protocol, which calls for pa2&3 to be released automatically.

Flatnstuck,

[media=]http://youtu.be/BNSR8igDSlA[/media]
[/quote]

Good to see you over here, Grady. Hope I didn't stir up too much trouble over there. Swing looks great. Are you still working on superslotting? Looking forward to JE's vid on holding shaft flex. Stick around.

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1384640770' post='8159264']
[quote name='dairic' timestamp='1384640312' post='8159242']
nfbandon,

One thing that I'm not clear about is ABS is supposed to be a "hitters" protocol, but not like TGM right arm pistol like thrusting motion. If it's not swinging, and it's not TGM hitting, then how are you hitting exactly?
[/quote]

I believe it's "hitting" in that there is active forearm rotation through impact (to release pa2&3), as opposed to a true TGM swinging protocol, which calls for pa2&3 to be released automatically.
[/quote]

Thanks. I bet they wished they had 3 right hands!

[quote name='flatnstuck' timestamp='1384623557' post='8158272']
Trunk and arms pulling the club left to avoid a CF release. The club seeks to be flung down the line after impact. The orbit pull is an attempt to stop that thereby slowing the rate of face closure and hopefully retaining some pressure on the shaft.
[/quote]

Ok thanks. So just keep pivot going?

Does this method eliminates the double crosses?

I am sure a lot of us have the club too steep into the ball, crank it up through impact with a load of early extension and a flippy release so would be better off with a shallower club in the downswing. Lots of internet gurus (guri? no, probably right the first time) are on convergent paths to the same kind of thing. Bradley Hughes and Advanced Ball Striking want you back at shaft-plane at impact, I think. Wayne De Francesco likes to see the hands back in a circle drawn around them at address. Can't remember where, but I am pretty sure Monte has advocated a shallower shaft-plane in the downswing and the subsequent miserable ball-striking until you learn to rotate your way out of trouble.

You can sign up for the intensive Advanced Ball Striking programme and get crazy flat heavy clubs or work out your own way, but, in my view, these are all trying to address the club too steep, hands too high, hard to control the clubface issue. A good teacher might not want to confuse you by pointing it out, but if you are working on less early extension and a shallower shaft-plane in the downswing, your hands might not get the club back on the same plane as they were at address, but I am sure they will be lower than before and hopefully your ball-striking will be better.

I think there is a lot of merit in what Bradley Hughes has to say. That it seems consistent with what a lot of other people are saying gives it more credibility than if he had won a few more tournaments.

[quote name='lv_2_hack' timestamp='1384533837' post='8153536']
[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1384531961' post='8153368']
As a word of caution to anyone wading into these waters: PLEASE understand that you NEED to pair that laying down of the shaft with some sort of "tumble" into impact. You can't just rotate out of Dodge with the club flattening below plane and expect solid results. Mr. Hughes says something in the first video (without explaining it in depth) that's key. That feeling of a "hook" entry and a "slice" exit, or opposing forces...when the club is shallowing that much you need to know how to unload all of that stored energy into the ball. If not, you're way underneath and have almost no chance to do anything other than fight a HUGE two way miss.

The golf swing, no matter what sort of aesthetic preferences you have, has to have a balance of shallowing and steepening elements.
[/quote]

Great post. Especially last paragraph.
[/quote]

Agree

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

[quote name='MonteScheinblum' timestamp='1384683590' post='8161196']
[quote name='lv_2_hack' timestamp='1384533837' post='8153536']
[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1384531961' post='8153368']
As a word of caution to anyone wading into these waters: PLEASE understand that you NEED to pair that laying down of the shaft with some sort of "tumble" into impact. You can't just rotate out of Dodge with the club flattening below plane and expect solid results. Mr. Hughes says something in the first video (without explaining it in depth) that's key. That feeling of a "hook" entry and a "slice" exit, or opposing forces...when the club is shallowing that much you need to know how to unload all of that stored energy into the ball. If not, you're way underneath and have almost no chance to do anything other than fight a HUGE two way miss.

The golf swing, no matter what sort of aesthetic preferences you have, has to have a balance of shallowing and steepening elements.
[/quote]

Great post. Especially last paragraph.
[/quote]

Agree
[/quote]

Which one is for accuracy and which for power?

Paul,

I do still work on Superslotting, but spend more time on orbit pull lately. I think you have to work them both, because it does no good to slot it deep if you can't rip it through. These still are from a swing from a practice session today. I hit 110 balls in 15 minutes...just rapid fire. I have found this the best way to work on a swing change.

[quote name='exgolfpro' timestamp='1384363688' post='8143318']
Took 2 video lessons from Mr. Hughes. He is a protoge of John "Lag" Erickson who has a website called Advanced Ball Striking. He (Erickson) seems to have created a legend of himself as a ballstriker on the likes of Ben Hogan. Mr. Hughes is nice enough and I'm sure has a world of knowledge, but all he was able to do for me was send me these videos of prepackaged drills that they run everyone thru regardless of their swing issues. For example, everyone starts with drill #1, then drill #2, etc. My goal was to flatten my downswing plane which is why I went to him, but what I got was not what I had hoped.
[/quote]

You wont flatten your downswing plane unless you had the opposite pressures in place into and thru the zone......I could have given you a big band aid to show you how to slot it and it would have done absolutely nothing but make matters worse. You have the info to shallow your downswing instinctively with the physical makeup and the mental makeup from the lesson.....but you have to work on it and not just expect a slot to open up for you.

[quote name='Ezgolfer' timestamp='1384442641' post='8147982']
Has anyone been able to complete lag erickson's course and modules?
I would like to see a model swing besides erickson 's.
Bradley has great message but need to cut down the unnecessary redundant talk in his video's.
[/quote]

It's tough......I could do a 2 minute video that would give absolutely no message about anything and people would complain it was pointless and crap and they gained nothing from it...or I can do a 10-15 minute video covering a lot of bases and giving a full explanation that leaves a lot of info to digest and encourage people with...and some will say its long winded.
Too much- Not enough- ......would rather give more detail than limited detail and examples

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1384841029' post='8171040']
Took 2 video lessons from Mr. Hughes. He is a protoge of John "Lag" Erickson who has a website called Advanced Ball Striking. He (Erickson) seems to have created a legend of himself as a ballstriker on the likes of Ben Hogan. Mr. Hughes is nice enough and I'm sure has a world of knowledge, but all he was able to do for me was send me these videos of prepackaged drills that they run everyone thru regardless of their swing issues. For example, everyone starts with drill #1, then drill #2, etc. My goal was to flatten my downswing plane which is why I went to him, but what I got was not what I had hoped.
[/quote]

You wont flatten your downswing plane unless you had the opposite pressures in place into and thru the zone......I could have given you a big band aid to show you how to slot it and it would have done absolutely nothing but make matters worse. You have the info to shallow your downswing instinctively with the physical makeup and the mental makeup from the lesson.....but you have to work on it and not just expect a slot to open up for you.
[/quote]

Why would you want to flatten your swing?

Is the production of those "opposite pressures" what the modules train you to do? I'm also wondering if the module work teaches you a "firing" sequence that will get you in the right place at the right time to apply those "opposite pressures"?

Is there an unlimited supply of the modules or do you get to the results in a "reasonable" period of time? That may be hard to answer as I understand that the more time and energy you put into practice the more you will get out of practice, but is there a "standard" period of time for completing the modules that you usually expect from you students?

[quote name='MacMan' timestamp='1384887326' post='8173070']
[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1384841029' post='8171040']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why would you want to flatten your swing?

Is the production of those "opposite pressures" what the modules train you to do? I'm also wondering if the module work teaches you a "firing" sequence that will get you in the right place at the right time to apply those "opposite pressures"?

Is there an unlimited supply of the modules or do you get to the results in a "reasonable" period of time? That may be hard to answer as I understand that the more time and energy you put into practice the more you will get out of practice, but is there a "standard" period of time for completing the modules that you usually expect from you students?
[/quote]

Plus one ...
So on one hand this is supposed to be the method to get the nirvana of ball striking , on the other hand the guru's play soft compression balls almost lady's golf ball ,the iron distance does not matter . It is okay to hit a 6 iron from 145 yards .
I get it it is more for consistency ...

If you guys do very good research on YouTube you can easily see drills for modules 1-6. The question is wheyher the student is performing them correctly.

Grady - good to see you and that you are still so candid with your swing progress. I assume you went full ABS? Is the reason for your orbit pull work bc you are still a bit dtl?

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1384672970' post='8161006']
I am sure a lot of us have the club too steep into the ball, crank it up through impact with a load of early extension and a flippy release so would be better off with a shallower club in the downswing. Lots of internet gurus (guri? no, probably right the first time) are on convergent paths to the same kind of thing. Bradley Hughes and Advanced Ball Striking want you back at shaft-plane at impact, I think. Wayne De Francesco likes to see the hands back in a circle drawn around them at address. Can't remember where, but I am pretty sure Monte has advocated a shallower shaft-plane in the downswing and the subsequent miserable ball-striking until you learn to rotate your way out of trouble.

You can sign up for the intensive Advanced Ball Striking programme and get crazy flat heavy clubs or work out your own way, but, in my view, these are all trying to address the club too steep, hands too high, hard to control the clubface issue. A good teacher might not want to confuse you by pointing it out, but if you are working on less early extension and a shallower shaft-plane in the downswing, your hands might not get the club back on the same plane as they were at address, but I am sure they will be lower than before and hopefully your ball-striking will be better.

I think there is a lot of merit in what Bradley Hughes has to say. That it seems consistent with what a lot of other people are saying gives it more credibility than if he had won a few more tournaments.
[/quote]

If you were trying to lower your impact hands to match your address hands, wouldn't the easiest thing be to just raise your address hands a little? Not completely joking and trying to make a bit of a point here.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

Maybe Brad can confirm but the ABS ideal is to have the impact shaft plane dissect the body's centre of gravity point just below the belly button, also at a right angle to the spine?

ABS is big on opposing forces, the more you slot it the bigger the pivot thrust needs to be, hence why post impact protocol comes first. Got to be able to handle the load