Bradley Hughes, Impact, the truth about your swing.

mpluis

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1385500461' post='8212062']
Tembolo, you've seen my swing. How should I fix my clubface control?
[/quote]

I thought you said you can manufacture a swing that looks like it's not rotating the face much...I took that to mean it's not your normal swing.
Show me your swing again please!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

Virtuoso
It is not difficult to do when the correct muscular activity is trained
Face only gets open or closed because people use the wrong muscles and poor groundwork to hit the ball and falsify their lowpoint of strike by either releasing early and leaning the trunk into the strike to try get to the ball OR by getting too forward with the torso and then laterally leaning the arms and club into the strike.

EJ
They are drills related to proper muscular activity. Like I said there are thousands of answers on ABS and SITD to research . And if you read many of the answers here without dismissing the merit of the answer you will also find their is no avoidance...

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1385500626' post='8212076']
[quote name='virtuoso' timestamp='1385500461' post='8212062']
Tembolo, you've seen my swing. How should I fix my clubface control?
[/quote]

I thought you said you can manufacture a swing that looks like it's not rotating the face much...I took that to mean it's not your normal swing.
Show me your swing again please!
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPiNx4Ux4N4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPiNx4Ux4N4[/url]

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

Ok I never understand the response... "Plenty of answers elsewhere." My quotes. IE STD of SITD or whatever but why would someone go there when they are here? Why would someone advertise another forum to get the answers?

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

[quote name='spider' timestamp='1385503880' post='8212338']
Ok I never understand the response... "Plenty of answers elsewhere." My quotes. IE STD of SITD or whatever but why would someone go there when they are here? Why would someone advertise another forum to get the answers?
[/quote]

Maybe they'd rather not spend their time explaining themselves to people who are clearly just trying to start stuff for no reason? I have no side in this, but every time any of the ABSers has tried to explain themselves, it's been met with nothing but more hostility/questions/arguments/sarcasm. I know I wouldn't try to keep explaining myself in that situation. Maybe ABS guys have more patience than me, but there is probably a point at which they all know it's going no where. Furthermore, it's pretty clear that no one asking the tough questions has any interest in actually doing ABS, they'd just rather show up its users, so what would ever be accomplished by these explanations anyway?

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1385502818' post='8212272']
Virtuoso
It is not difficult to do when the correct muscular activity is trained
Face only gets open or closed because people use the wrong muscles and poor groundwork to hit the ball and falsify their lowpoint of strike by either releasing early and leaning the trunk into the strike to try get to the ball OR by getting too forward with the torso and then laterally leaning the arms and club into the strike.

EJ
They are drills related to proper muscular activity. Like I said there are thousands of answers on ABS and SITD to research . And if you read many of the answers here without dismissing the merit of the answer you will also find their is no avoidance...
[/quote]

Ok, thanks for the response.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

[/quote]

Ok then... do a WRX search... plenty of answers here on this site too in other threads from the past.

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1385505469' post='8212448']
[/quote]

Ok then... do a WRX search... plenty of answers here on this site too in other threads from the past.
[/quote]

Wow ok. Will do. Been here a long time and search "things" quite a bit. However I thought the title of this with your name on it might be the best place to search first. My bad. Not saying anything against your swing theory teaching etc. I am not qualified in the least bit to pass judgement. Just a hack interested in learning about the swing. I thought this was an interesting topic and debate. I'll go back to lurking.

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

[quote name='flatnstuck' timestamp='1385482860' post='8210400']
[quote name='veryscratch' timestamp='1385482269' post='8210358']
[quote name='flatnstuck' timestamp='1385479028' post='8210062']
That's where your understanding falls short. Tightening the screws merely means moving that part of the swing that has slipped due to inattention back towards the ideal through drill work.

Why orbit pull? Well, I don't speak Moradish, but it seems pretty clear to me that failure to exit impact on nearly the same plane as entry would lead to more of a CF release, higher rate of closure and loss of an ability to pressure the shaft or have the intent to do so through to the finish. The shaft tracing the right forearm just before delivery therefore requires a flat exit. Anything less and one will be doing some measure of the release to right field from a SS drill that tembolo was questioning. The idea being to never give the club it's head.
[/quote]

"The shaft tracing the right forearm just before delivery therefore requires a flat exit."

No it doesn't. If you are extending your left side, releasing your tailbone and or fully extending/full back bending, club will exit steep/up with your hands going to the sky like Hogan and Palmer.
[/quote]

More lack of understanding. Abs also teaches a vertical shaft past hip high in the follow through. So you see a lack of extension in Grady's swing? No you don't. Perhaps you can post some video of a CP release where the club doesn't exit left as you prescribe so that I can see where you are coming from.
[/quote]

FnS,

Yeah Grady has lack of extension (aka tailbone release). See Hogan as perfect example. Compare the relationship/alignments of their left hip and belt buckle in relation to left ankle and neck thru impact.

You said right forearm in shaft plane REQUIRES a flat exit. Not true. If you didn't not shift baseline of the plane way right during transition to delivery/release point, there's NO NEED for a flat exit. Again, shifting planes to right and then left narrows the arc as someone (tembolo?) already said. WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT THAT?

Anyway, as previously asked by many, why shift baseline of plane to the right from the top to delivery?

VS

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1385497132' post='8211706']
[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1385477810' post='8209948']

Thats the thing - there are legitimate questions, that are dodged. Llike why tighten the swing arc? (If that is what you are saying). IMO that sounds like a bad idea. All we get is "the ball likes it." Well maybe it does, but why?

BTW I like the dynamics of Grady's swing.
[/quote]

You cant call it 'dodging' just because you dont get the answer you are looking for here. There are literally thousands of responses to questions on ABS and on SITD
Again 'tightening the swing arc"???? ... Who said that?.... that is a misconception again ... not even close to our goal or what should happen
And it gets amusing when people say 'great action Grady' and then in the next breath say the ABS intentions or training is wrong...
[/quote]

Brad,

Even before ABS Grady had a great action as per his YT channel where his above posted swings were sourced from.

VS

[quote name='veryscratch' timestamp='1385509800' post='8212770']

Anyway, as previously asked by many, why shift baseline of plane to the right from the top to delivery?

VS
[/quote]

Could have sworn I have stated this DOES NOT happen maybe 7 times in the past 48 hours.. You are obviously taking the piss stating it again

[quote name='veryscratch' timestamp='1385510524' post='8212852']
Brad,

Even before ABS Grady had a great action as per his YT channel where his above posted swings were sourced from.

VS
[/quote]

I know he did- however he is in a much happier place now with how his motion feels and the strike he is putting on the ball... He is the judge of the differences.
I have never met Grady and I dont directly coach him so I take zero credit for how far he believes he has advanced with his striking

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1385521007' post='8213742']

VS
[/quote]

Could have sworn I have stated this DOES NOT happen maybe 7 times in the past 48 hours.. You are obviously taking the piss stating it again
[/quote]

Brad,

The plane, including its baseline, relates to how the pivot turns, more specifically the shoulders. When you slow the pivot in transition in order to prevent the left arm from going more out or to keep it more in, the only way to do it is to move or rotate the shoulders towards or in the direction of the right if target. The more you stall the shoulders, the more right it turns to.

Imagine your shoulders is a wheel, with one end the left shoulder and the other end the right shoulder. If you turn the wheel and wanted the right shoulder to be more in in order for left arm to be more in as well, you would have to turn the wheel towards the right of target. This is so that the right side if the wheel (right shoulder) will move more down vertically instead of slightly out to its original plane at address.

The more you get the right shoulder and hands down vertically, the more you're shifting the plane to the right, unless your original plane is perfect vertical, which is possible only if the ball is right below the center of shoulders/wheel.

So, it's shifting the plane to the right.

VS

[quote name='veryscratch' timestamp='1385522393' post='8213860']

VS
[/quote]

[/quote]

Brad,

The plane, including its baseline, relates to how the pivot turns, more specifically the shoulders. When you slow the pivot in transition in order to prevent the left arm from going more out or to keep it more in, the only way to do it is to move or rotate the shoulders towards or in the direction of the right if target. The more you stall the shoulders, the more right it turns to.

Imagine your shoulders is a wheel, with one end the left shoulder and the other end the right shoulder. If you turn the wheel and wanted the right shoulder to be more in in order for left arm to be more in as well, you would have to turn the wheel towards the right of target. This is so that the right side if the wheel (right shoulder) will move more down vertically instead of slightly out to its original plane at address.

The more you get the right shoulder and hands down vertically, the more you're shifting the plane to the right, unless your original plane is perfect vertical, which is possible only if the ball is right below the center of shoulders/wheel.

VS
[/quote]

That is your opinion as to what we/I teach when in fact it is NOT... hence why I will continue to say- the baseline does not shift right

Brad stated he did not work with Grady so obviously John Erickson is responsible for the shift to right field.
Brad seems like a solid guy. I think it is a strange situation here with the OP putting his name on the thread and all. Brad you have kind of been put on the spot here. My apologies for the photos I put up before I deleted the comparison between Grady and the other guy and all that. Clearly you have had little input on what Grady is doing.
I have only one for real question. Do you support the hands move vertical downward from the top of Gradys bs or not?

I know I have faith if I took a lesson from you I would be striping it in short order. Also congratulations on your excellent professional play of late. Walk is more important than talk eh.

See ball hit ball
KISS

Grady is not my student but I think what he has done with his swing is great and I know where he will continue to head by working on his drills.
Rome wasnt built in a day... and he is building his blocks nicely.
As for my own play- thanks. I pretty much quit playing in 2008 to instruct instead and pass on my knowledge and experience to others who want to get better. I dont practice and I dont play. I do my lessons & I turn up and play some Aussie PGA events now and then.
Last week in NSW Open I hit 86% of fairways and 90% of greens in reg for the week. I had 4 bogies in 72 holes of which 3 of the bogies were three putts. I do my drills from time to time because I honestly have little desire to practice after doing it for so many years.
I believe in what I teach and have hundreds of endorsements from students thanking me for how much I have helped their games- long game short game course management and mental capacity.
Their improvement and recognition over the entire spectrum of what I teach them is very heartening and a few distractors who post on forums (who I have never met or have ever done any type of lesson from me) doesnt really make me lose sleep at night.... because they are making observations based on their knowledge and not based on what I have shown them

Missed 4 greens in 72 holes, I would say that is not bad. LOL I could live with that.

Congrats.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1385522832' post='8213912']
[quote name='veryscratch' timestamp='1385522393' post='8213860']

VS
[/quote]

[/quote]

Brad,

VS
[/quote]

That is your opinion as to what we/I teach when in fact it is NOT... hence why I will continue to say- the baseline does not shift right
[/quote]

Brad,

The only way not to shift the plane right with that left arm in hands vertically down move in transition to delivery is to stall the pivot (both lower body and shoulders).

If you do this, power leaks substantially because you don't generate momentum as much.

It's like letting a race car run to finish from a shorter distance. Naturally speed at finish will be slower.

And again, why narrow the clubhead arc? It's a cause for inconsistency.

The golf swing can be achieved without these power and accuracy saps while still keeping connections.

VS

No Grady a legitimate question, no hostility. I'm sure if Brad hasn't then he will have a valid reason that relates to his swing. Has no-one ever posed this over there?

No need to be offended. I was in the program myself but have now chosen a different path. If I posted this over there would I bet met with an attitude? I appreciate this thread may have wound you up, have a good thanksgiving (I assume!)

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1385526798' post='8214268']
Again.... NOT what I teach LOL
Why keep bringing it up?
I teach Allenby and he is now hitting the ball farther than ever... there are no power leaks... guaranteed
[/quote]

I always liked Allenby's swing, very simple. I know he has struggled for a while. Can you say what you have worked on with him or is that more of a private matter? Thanks

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='bhughesgolf' timestamp='1385526798' post='8214268']
Again.... NOT what I teach LOL
Why keep bringing it up?
I teach Allenby and he is now hitting the ball farther than ever... there are no power leaks... guaranteed
[/quote]

I think you were responding to the hands drop thing question - isn't that what the studen in the mod 5 is doing? Mad asked if you adopted auperslotting. If you haven't is there is reason why? Do you not teach that as your preference? Are there pros cons to it?

John has been kind enough to do a new video of the slot and go for us!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXf17Qq-mnI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUQfpoaWISZQkuhV6j4xe9_g[/media]

As you can see with the baseline is shifted way right , the steepening move of forearm roll gets it back on plane approx middle of downswing