Aftermarket Putter Shafts: Worth it?

captwilks67

Hello! I am looking at a lab putter and have found out they have several custom shaft options. I am curious. For those of you who have used aftermarket putter shafts, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the money? 

What are the differences between the options below, and am to put it simply enough, will this shave strokes off the game (I know, I know, it’s never that simple, but it should be. That’s the whole point of buying different putters and spending more money. So the question must be answered)? 

1EB01118-BD8C-4897-9457-66CDA5EAB10F.jpeg

873F61AB-1CF8-443F-92C6-53BAA7E6788D.jpeg

12 minutes ago, snakano said:

I can only speak to the BGT Stability Tour 2. I've posted a reply on it in a couple threads about this across the forum, but can update it after plenty of on course data.

First up, I'll never be confused for Tiger on the green. I can read a green pretty damn well, but my mechanics slip and my mental game can be trash if I'm playing poorly.

Aftermarket shafts are not magic wands. It can't fix poor speed control. It can't fix atrocious mechanics. It can't fix mental fatigue.

What can it help fix? It has massively helped me with consistency and keeping the face square at impact. My putting (and misses) are much more consistent on well struck hits. I'm making more putts, burning more edges and leaving myself more makable second putts than I was before. I'll keep rolling the flatstick that has it loaded vs the backup.

All that said, with everything in golf: it's the player, not the club. For every positive review you'll read for shafts like these, you'll read another that's negative. I'd recommend going to a fitter or a golf shop with one already plugged in and playing around with it free of charge to see if you like the feel.

Happy hunting.

Exactly what I’m looking for. Thank you. The LAB putter is interesting, but the soft milled blades from Cleveland are tempting as well. Looking forward to seeing the new mid mallet style blades from Scotty hit the market. I loved my squareback but couldn’t put with it consistently. 

All that is to say, I would like to get the best putter for me before I jump on a aftermarket shaft. I’m decent on reads and getting better. Coming from Colorado to Tennessee has me second guessing everything due to the speed of the greens and putts breaking more. If I can eliminate some of the face manipulation that I inherently do in my swing, then I think I’ll be able to focus on a few other factors. Sounds like a BGT or another of the options would be a good choice.  

• Like 1

I have a LAB DF 2.1 Armlock with the Accra White shaft you have posted above. I bought mine like it was from my neighbor. This is my first putter with an aftermarket putter shaft.

In my eyes any aftermarket putter shaft doesn't do squat. I just don't see it. You are barely moving the club and there is no SWING to torque the shaft in anyway. It simply attaches the grip to the putter head.

• Like 3

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I pondered this exact question when ordering a LAB DF 2.1 last month. I did the research and there is a youtube to support that it doesn't really make a difference, at least is standard type, maybe different with broomstick. With that said, If you are doing a custom because stock program does not fit your length/lie then it seems worth it, to me, to go with the Accra, because it looks great and feels more exclusive and you are already spending a lot of money for custom. The LAB CEO, Sam Hahn, said on a podcast that Accra is the shaft he usually plays with so I am guessing it is good. When you read the different descriptions on the website it seems that the Accra gives the softest feel. With that said, I don't think it will realistically save you one stroke all year let alone in a round.  To be direct, I did it because I was going custom and want something different than off the rack at PGASS. To me $100 was fair to be more exclusive, but $275 or $380 up charge was excessive. 

43 minutes ago, kb7 said:

I’d never play anything other than the cheapest steel shafts. /s

Same 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I have tried a lot of the after market shafts…. Cannot stand steel in my putters anymore…. Do they make me a better putter??? I have no idea….  But the feel of a putter with a steel shaft to me is awful compared the one with composite shafts..

the BGT stability makes my putters feel almost mushy soft. I have it in my lab DF 2.1. Never tried the DF without one… but it is consistent. have also tried stability in a few other putters too. They constantly feel super mushy off the face. 

I also have a kinetix zero trq (with a standard grip) on my evnroll erv 8…. It is stable as can be… the weight of the putters it so solid…. Lots of guys have rolled it… the shaft is pretty cool looking…. And everyone says how awesome it feels. I have a gravity grip on it as well. My distance control has been very reliable with this set up. This is my gamer. 

la golf 135….. solid counter balance shaft. Very stout… lacks the feel of the zero trq shaft…. But in my early days with this.  After rolling it briefly… I realized it was delivered with a  loose shaft in the hosel, so this needs to be fixed up…  I have this on a very heavy Sik DW head. Will follow up more on this one too. 

even the odyssey stroke lab shaft… they feel good. Was an early adopter of these. So I have an affinity for non steel shafts. 

Maybe it is all in my head, but does that matter if it works for me…. 

I will come back to you on this with more… will be testing the “all-in” shaft, Fuji 115 firm and x-firm in the coming few days.

all my stuff is second hand… or built from second hand components… so nothing bought retail… I certainly would not be comfortable paying retail prices for these shafts.… especially $400+ for the LA Golf shaft… 

but whether or not it works for you, will be up to you. These shafts do change the feel of the putter, especially on longer putts…. I have major distance control issues with steel now.   But at new retail prices…. I would hesitate. 

btw… TXG did testing with the stability shaft and said they noticed differences in the data. 

Edited by T_Golf_23

I think there is a difference. It is very minimal imo. I prefer the Stability Tour over the others personally. 

I wouldn't buy one brand new...I don't think any shaft (driver through putter) is actually worth $300-400...but I'll dabble on the used market. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

13 hours ago, captwilks67 said:

What are the differences between the options below, and am to put it simply enough, will this shave strokes off the game (I know, I know, it’s never that simple, but it should be. That’s the whole point of buying different putters and spending more money. So the question must be answered)? 

the difference between the shaft is weight and feel.  Graphite shafts alter the feel of the putter; many people use the word “stable” but that is meaningless to me.  I have tried BGT, Steoke Lab, All-in, PXG, and LA Golf shafts.  You ultimate question is will it shave strokes off my game?  In my opinion from round to round you probably won’t notice a difference, but over a year you may see a savings if a few strokes.  The naysayers say the putter moves too slowly to twist; but hit a putt off center a you will get twisting; just tap the face of a putter off center and you will see the twist.   I’d really like to see side by side comparison of steel vs graphite with only a shaft change on a system like Quintic to see if there is improvement.  You need to leverage a system because I believe you will probably only see improvement of like a quarter degree in face angle control, and slightly more ball speed consistency which may narrow your dispersion pattern by say 6 inches.   While minor, those slight differences would result in improved putter performance when measured over time that most would dismiss as just improved putting and not relate it to the shaft.  Fundamentally the same discussion that could be had with any shaft…does a $300 driver shaft perform better for you than a stock shaft?  For some the answer many be yes and for others no.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, captwilks67 said:

Hello! I am looking at a lab putter and have found out they have several custom shaft options. I am curious. For those of you who have used aftermarket putter shafts, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the money? 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/512e550faefa09cdfeb95fa6d14fae2704118f5ed37631ff415c159faac639f7/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/512e550faefa09cdfeb95fa6d14fae2704118f5ed37631ff415c159faac639f7/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/1EB01118-BD8C-4897-9457-66CDA5EAB10F.jpeg.b999b725df50159a9fdc2d51ff18fcec.jpeg

/cdn-cgi/mirage/512e550faefa09cdfeb95fa6d14fae2704118f5ed37631ff415c159faac639f7/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/512e550faefa09cdfeb95fa6d14fae2704118f5ed37631ff415c159faac639f7/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/873F61AB-1CF8-443F-92C6-53BAA7E6788D.jpeg.d0dc79b1593cd69677a5e832a67f0ec5.jpeg

Lab has a section on their website dedicated to this topic.  https://labgolf.com/choosing-the-right-putter-shaft/

Most will say they do nothing and would always say if they are good why doesn't anyone on tour use them.  They must do something because you are seeing more and more tour players use them.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

?

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

I installed a MMT putter shaft on my Bettinardi bb8w for the main reason of aesthetics. I just don’t like having a shiny chrome steel shaft at address plus the putter is black and has too much contrast with a black head. If any performance comes with it I’ll take it. 

Beside being more visual appealing and comforting the only benefit I can truly feel is when I have longer putts where I have pretty have to smash it. The shaft is super stable in that sense where the steel shaft pretty much feels like sh*t haha. 

therefore with my goal being visual upgrade I was not gonna spend more than $100 on a putter shaft. It was between this and the kbs one step black but it’s was not in stock so went with this and got it the next day. No way I’m spend over $300 for a Fuji la golf etc when I know they’ll feel pretty similar to the mmt 

Been testing out the Fuji 115 putter shaft in X Firm…. Very impressive shaft. Probably has the most feel of any of the shots I have tried so far. 

I am really liking the one piece graphites more than the 2 piece set ups like the BGT stability. 

I am going to out a UST retro fit “all-in” head to head with a one piece …. See if there is a real difference. 

either was, as I have said before… the feel of graphite shafted putters is night and day from steel….. at least for me. 

Spending that much money on a putter shaft seemed silly until I tried one. I love the way they feel. 

9DD6245C-D4D2-41FB-9064-003827D05A32.jpeg.d2d2d5a4ab6af1018c3646d86d87dac8.jpegF1FF2C71-A96E-4664-BD64-5B5084FA2506.jpeg.3135c202345c889f387063fb4d8f62c6.jpeg

• Like 1

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

Just trie the UST all-in return fit Shaft…. It’s a very good shaft. Dollar for dollar…. It’s the best out there right now. I like it better than my LA Golf shaft. It’s very stable,  it retains good feel without being overly soft….. is the enough oxymorons for every one….. at only $99 brand new….. it’s a home run. 

going to try the full composite one too… need to get it shafted and of course pick a worthy putter 

It’s a feel change, that’s it. And that, imo, means you have to actually putt with it to see if that feel changes resonates with you. Personally, it’s not something I’d ever spend that kind of money on. 

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

There are also a lot of other good aftermarket shafts that do not cost $250 plus out there. I just think the LAGP and BGT shafts get all the attention. 

Nippon Steel 

KBS One Step 

Accra Graphite 

UST All-In 

Aerofiber Graphite 

Then there are plenty that you can grab for under 200 from the right source 

Fujikura MC 

Mitsubishi Diamana 

Mitsubishi MMT

Some BGT shafts

As for do they work? That really depends how much practice do you put in? Maybe it's just a feel change but that's enough for some. Shoot some just care about the look. 

I only have 3 after market shafts in putters  and a few loose ones. Want to try a few more, but I think there is some difference. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Whether or not they are “better” I can’t say. But I know that I hit a ton of putts with a LAB Mezz 1 with the stock steel shaft, and then owned one with an LA Golf shaft for a while, and the feel difference was night and day. I liked it, but others might not. 

I am putting with a double bend shafted putter now so can’t get an LA Golf for it, but am thinking of trying the UST All In. 

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Tour Edge XCG7 (21*) Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Tour Select 835 (17*) Driving Iron

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C  

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

There are also a lot of other good aftermarket shafts that do not cost $250 plus out there. I just think the LAGP and BGT shafts get all the attention. 

Nippon Steel 

KBS One Step 

Accra Graphite 

UST All-In 

Aerofiber Graphite 

Then there are plenty that you can grab for under 200 from the right source 

Fujikura MC 

Mitsubishi Diamana 

Mitsubishi MMT

Some BGT shafts

As for do they work? That really depends how much practice do you put in? Maybe it's just a feel change but that's enough for some. Shoot some just care about the look. 

I only have 3 after market shafts in putters  and a few loose ones. Want to try a few more, but I think there is some difference. 

You shut your mouth.   They’re all marketing BS 🤣

Edited by Phabs
  • Haha 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

30 minutes ago, Phabs said:

You shut your mouth.   They’re all marketing BS 🤣

Maybe they are, maybe I'm on payroll for a few of them. 

(Mods I'm not) 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

@nitram I think your write up is great. My take away is it may feel different to have a graphite shaft but will not result in better overall putter results. You clearly have a very repeatable stroke. I just received my new DF 2.1 with the accra shaft and I feel like it was worth the cost based on looks and feel in a back to back comparison but to be direct, in a blindfold test I could not tell which was which, only that they were different.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PDFPXG said:

@nitram I think your write up is great. My take away is it may feel different to have a graphite shaft but will not result in better overall putter results. You clearly have a very repeatable stroke. I just received my new DF 2.1 with the accra shaft and I feel like it was worth the cost based on looks and feel in a back to back comparison but to be direct, in a blindfold test I could not tell which was which, only that they were different.   

Exactly, it's like having sex with different brands of condoms.

• Haha 3

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

4 hours ago, nitram said:

In my setup, my putter is 1.7* open to my start line at address, with either putter.

Path is 0.3* open at impact, with either putter.

Face is 0.88 closed with Accra and 0.94 closed without.

Average miss is 0.5" left with Accra and 0.6" left without.

Proximity to hole is 9.2 inches with Accra and 8.9 inches without.

I made 2 more putts with Accra shafted putter.

So, to answer the original question, "does it make a difference"? Well, in some areas it does and in others, it doesn't. As noted, the major factor in putting is consistency. As demonstrated, the Accra didn't increase consistency in MY putters. Will it for you, only you can try it and see for yourself.

1 hour ago, PDFPXG said:

will not result in better overall putter results. 

Nice to see those kind of numbers to compare shafts, thanks for the post.    I personally would disagree with both of your assessments that the results weren't better.   Setup was the same and path was the same.  While the dispersion/proximity to the hole was slightly better with the steel shaft,  your face control was better with the Accra.  IMO, the more consistent face angle at impact indicates that you have a little better face control and thus would over the long run make more putts which is what your results showed.  Your 120 putts is roughly equivalent to about 4 rounds or basically a tournament and in tournament play,  I would be players would be happy to save 2 strokes over the course of their 4 rounds.   

Everyone needs to make their own assessment and what they consider to be "improvement"   Thanks again for posting the results of your experiment. 

• Like 1