2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Skycaddie Touch

[quote name='whsbuss' timestamp='1422891898' post='10868237']
Question: although the Touch doesn't yet have the PinPoint feature how does one know if the course supports it? Is there an icon on the course search that indicates it? I'm confused.....
[/quote]

Yes, there is a flag icon with the course if it is setup to use PinPoint zones. If your course uses a zone system, you can send Skycaddie the diagram of the zones and they will update the course map to include the zones.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently got a notice about upgrading to the Touch for $225 good until 2/4/15. I have been using an SG5 for the past couple of years and for this 15+ hdcper the F/M/B seemed to do the trick.
Wading through all these pages kinda gave me a headache trying to figure out if I should upgrade.

BOTTOM LINE: Is it worth it to upgrade from the SG5 (assuming all the bugs in the Touch should be worked out by the spring)??
Thanks

[quote name='ED68' timestamp='1422895492' post='10868587']
Recently got a notice about upgrading to the Touch for $225 good until 2/4/15. I have been using an SG5 for the past couple of years and for this 15+ hdcper the F/M/B seemed to do the trick.
Wading through all these pages kinda gave me a headache trying to figure out if I should upgrade.

BOTTOM LINE: Is it worth it to upgrade from the SG5 (assuming all the bugs in the Touch should be worked out by the spring)??
Thanks
[/quote]

I would wait till spring - I am because I can't get out with all this snow anyway. I sure hope they weed all the bugs out and finish up the features. Using iPhone 6 w/Golfshot GPS and getting tired of using it on the course. I always liked just leaving the GPS in the cup holder in the cart and looking at the yardage. F/M/B works well but seeing the full hole w/yardages & hazards is needed IMO

Thanks
[/quote]

Compared to other releases there has actually been relatively few bugs. Most of the complaints are are about missing features that are being added with each update, along with the shipping of the first units, and people with slow internet so the updates take a long time. I have owned the SG5, SGX, SGXw, and Touch. Right now feature wise, the SGXw has the most features. A year from now (or month or two from now) it will be the Touch. I like the size and ease of use of the Touch. If all you want is F/C/B, you are not going to get much out of the upgrade. If you are looking for complete information on each hole, it would be worth the upgrade.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Thanks
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/937804-skycaddie-touch/page__st__330#entry10846861"]http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry10846861[/url]

No bugs for me. Take BT issues with a grain of salt. BT is very device specific, ie laptop, phone, etc.

Preloaded courses would make it worth the upgrade, imo even if just for FMB. But there are cheaper options if that is really all you want to use it for.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1422901340' post='10869187']

Thanks
[/quote]

Compared to other releases there has actually been relatively few bugs. Most of the complaints are are about missing features that are being added with each update, along with the shipping of the first units, and people with slow internet so the updates take a long time. I have owned the SG5, SGX, SGXw, and Touch. Right now feature wise, the SGXw has the most features. A year from now (or month or two from now) it will be the Touch. I like the size and ease of use of the Touch. If all you want is F/C/B, you are not going to get much out of the upgrade. If you are looking for complete information on each hole, it would be worth the upgrade.
[/quote]

Thanks for that info. I meant to say "features" instead of "bugs". Yes, more hole info would be better.

I just might have to consider trading in my SGXw. It's getting to the point where every sync is a g*d damn coin flip. I had to sync the SGXw this weekend for a trip next week to Florida, and it was yet another hassle. The first attempt failed because the device was not found, even though I heard the Windows "USB-device-connected" sound when I plugged it in. I rebooted the PC, but that didn't work. Finally, I uninstalled the CaddieSync drivers, and re-installed them. What a PITA. The last two syncs required the re-installation of the drivers.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1423502469' post='10917793']
I just might have to consider trading in my SGXw. It's getting to the point where every sync is a g*d damn coin flip. I had to sync the SGXw this weekend for a trip next week to Florida, and it was yet another hassle. The first attempt failed because the device was not found, even though I heard the Windows "USB-device-connected" sound when I plugged it in. I rebooted the PC, but that didn't work. Finally, I uninstalled the CaddieSync drivers, and re-installed them. What a PITA. The last two syncs required the re-installation of the drivers.
[/quote]

I've had no sync issues with the Touch, although some have. I've been very pleased with the Touch, to be honest. As has been stated, other than touch screen and preloaded courses (and slightly smaller size) - it's basically the same as the SGX. The "Hi Def" courses are a joke, so don;t expect anything better there. Also still no PinPoint, but it does have Intelligreen Pro now. Pinpoint is coming so says SkyGolf. If you realize those facts before upgrading, you will be pleased with the choice to upgrade, imo.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='sompin2do' timestamp='1423510367' post='10918721']
My SGX is still working like a champ so I'm still holding out on pulling the trigger on the Touch. Really can't believe they don't have a protective cover for it yet.
[/quote]

Yeah this is a mystery. My buddy bought the breeze and has been happy with it as well. Of course, his SGX skin fit right on the breeze lol.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

just thought I would post, I have dismissed the importance and value of BT previously in this thread, but I needed to add a course tonight and grabbed the usb cable, but figured what the heck, I'll do it via BT... A few minutes later, new course loaded and ready to go. So I have to admit, it is pretty cool ;).

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

My SGX is still working like a champ so I'm still holding out on pulling the trigger on the Touch. Really can't believe they don't have a protective cover for it yet.
[/quote]

Support folks on the Skygolf forums are saying they have no plans to release a skin or case for the Touch :(.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1423895396' post='10950779']
[/quote]

Support folks on the Skygolf forums are saying they have no plans to release a skin or case for the Touch :(.
[/quote]

I hope we can get a screen protector.

Here it is a year later and things are no better. Their "Customer Support" is non-existent. I placed an order in response to an email promotion they sent. Upgrade to the new TOUCH. Said I'd have it in 3-5 days. Received an e-mail over a week later saying that due to overwhelming demand, they didn't have any and it would not ship til the following week, at the very earliest. First ordered - first served. Living in Florida as opposed to Boston, we currently have the best golf weather of the year. When I contacted them about sending it overnight, they said no. Acted like I was asking for the world, for free! They should have seen the memo by now that they're no longer the only golf GPS in town. I cancelled the order and will go with the competition, and it conveniently avoids continuing annual membership dues.

[quote name='BobbyB' timestamp='1424108583' post='10964113']
Here it is a year later and things are no better. Their "Customer Support" is non-existent. I placed an order in response to an email promotion they sent. Upgrade to the new TOUCH. Said I'd have it in 3-5 days. Received an e-mail over a week later saying that due to overwhelming demand, they didn't have any and it would not ship til the following week, at the very earliest. First ordered - first served. Living in Florida as opposed to Boston, we currently have the best golf weather of the year. When I contacted them about sending it overnight, they said no. Acted like I was asking for the world, for free! They should have seen the memo by now that they're no longer the only golf GPS in town. I cancelled the order and will go with the competition, and it conveniently avoids continuing annual membership dues.
[/quote]

Typical support issues with them. What competition did you go with?

The GolfBuddy PT4. Funny thing - I posted my dissatisfaction with their Customer Support on their own support forum, and they took it down. I guess that's one way to attempt to contain ill-words from surfacing. In the day, when they were the only GPS game in town, it may have worked. Today, the competition, sans annual fees, will eat them up. You can only treat loyal customers that poorly for so long.

[quote name='BobbyB' timestamp='1424111699' post='10964531']
The GolfBuddy PT4. Funny thing - I posted my dissatisfaction with their Customer Support on their own support forum, and they took it down. I guess that's one way to attempt to contain ill-words from surfacing. In the day, when they were the only GPS game in town, it may have worked. Today, the competition, sans annual fees, will eat them up. You can only treat loyal customers that poorly for so long.
[/quote]

Interesting. Glad you have something you like. I still have time before I pull the trigger on a GPS unit (buried in snow). I used oobGolf to keep my scores over the years and have now transferred them to SkyGolf 360. Garmin connect doesn't have good stat tracking and GolfBuddy only keeps scores. I also want to sync my scores and not enter them manually anymore.

[quote name='BobbyB' timestamp='1424108583' post='10964113']
[/quote]

Do you know how much overnight shipping is? It is very expensive. I agree that sometimes their customer service can be hard to get, but I have seen them be responsive when someone posts an issue on their forum with issues and questions on the Touch. But I agree with their first order, first shipped policy. They cannot say because you live in a snowy area we will delay shipment. What if that person was heading south to play and wanted it before they left?

Callaway Chrome Soft

No excuse. With the shipping volume they have, I would have to imagine that bumping up to overnight can't cost them that much. And how much is customer happiness and satisfaction worth to them, especially when charging annual membership fees. I too agree with the first order, first shipped policy, however when the placed order indicates 3-5 business days, and it soon becomes in excess of a month, sorry, but that's on them. And their response to my honest posts on their forum was to remove them, so they would not be seen by others.

[quote name='BobbyB' timestamp='1424182818' post='10970099']
No excuse. With the shipping volume they have, I would have to imagine that bumping up to overnight can't cost them that much. And how much is customer happiness and satisfaction worth to them, especially when charging annual membership fees. I too agree with the first order, first shipped policy, however when the placed order indicates 3-5 business days, and it soon becomes in excess of a month, sorry, but that's on them. And their response to my honest posts on their forum was to remove them, so they would not be seen by others.
[/quote]

If you read the posting policies for the Skygolf forums, they do not allow people to post what ever they want. They will remove negative posts. They look at the forums as support forum not a place to express opinions. There was a time where they pretty much allowed anything and it got out of hand. There was one person that was very negative and would bully anyone that had an opinion that was different then him. He would also write posts that were the length of War and Peace. Since then they have been very strict about what is posted.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Loved the SGX, Wish i still had but after 13 months it failed and they wanted $85.00 and they would send a refurbished. Bought touch, played 3 rounds and sent back. Absolute piece of garage for so many reasons. Screen washout due to sun, poor scoring, poor touch screen, just about everything had a bug. constant crashing. Thankful i sent right back, contacted my credit card company who immediately refunded my purchase. Ive been using sky caddie since 2006 and just loved them. now they fail at everything but if next year they come out with a larger unit equal to an iPhone without bugs then i'll buy that too and try. Ive tried all GPS devises and have sent all of them back except a laser unit as backup. I'm currently trying golfshot app on iPhone 6 plus. great having such a large screen. so far so good on app but they could improve this too.

[quote name='IndyMojo' timestamp='1424734982' post='11013831']
Loved the SGX, Wish i still had but after 13 months it failed and they wanted $85.00 and they would send a refurbished. Bought touch, played 3 rounds and sent back. Absolute piece of garage for so many reasons. Screen washout due to sun, poor scoring, poor touch screen, just about everything had a bug. constant crashing. Thankful i sent right back, contacted my credit card company who immediately refunded my purchase. Ive been using sky caddie since 2006 and just loved them. now they fail at everything but if next year they come out with a larger unit equal to an iPhone without bugs then i'll buy that too and try. Ive tried all GPS devises and have sent all of them back except a laser unit as backup. I'm currently trying golfshot app on iPhone 6 plus. great having such a large screen. so far so good on app but they could improve this too.
[/quote]

You loved the SGX, but have sent back all GPS devices? I'm confused.

I have the Touch, but because of this winter that continues to bring cold temps I haven't had it out on the course. Syncing and downloading courses via Bluetooth was easy and I'm hoping they have most of the bugs worked out by the time I get to play.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

[color=#000000][quote name='IndyMojo' timestamp='1424734982' post='11013831'][/color]
[color=#000000]Loved the SGX, Wish i still had but after 13 months it failed and they wanted $85.00 and they would send a refurbished. Bought touch, played 3 rounds and sent back. Absolute piece of garage for so many reasons. Screen washout due to sun, poor scoring, poor touch screen, just about everything had a bug. constant crashing. Thankful i sent right back, contacted my credit card company who immediately refunded my purchase. Ive been using sky caddie since 2006 and just loved them. now they fail at everything but if next year they come out with a larger unit equal to an iPhone without bugs then i'll buy that too and try. Ive tried all GPS devises and have sent all of them back except a laser unit as backup. I'm currently trying golfshot app on iPhone 6 plus. great having such a large screen. so far so good on app but they could improve this too.[/color]
[color=#000000][/quote][/color]
I have found the complete opposite to be the case. The screen is easily readable (even without my glasses), the scoring is far and away much easier than the SGX or the SGXw, the touch screen is much easier to use than the thumbpads, the screen display is much faster, and it is relatively bug free. The only big problem they still have to fix is the issue with courses that have a hole with double greens and adding PinPoint. Also they have been much more responsive to reported issue compared to the past.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Same here, no issues at all. Sync and BT work fine, screen is readable ( I usually keep it at 30%) and touch is easy to use. Now that they updated with intelligreen I'm pleased as punch. Power button is a bit stiff but I think I posted before, it's a trade off on making it firmer vs having it turn on accidentally (ie in the bag or whatever) which is a common complaint of the PT4, for instance. I don't use PinPoint but if one does then yeah that's a minus, but otherwise no bugs or issues here. I realize some had issues with the initial release but they've updated several times since.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1424736585' post='11014015']
[quote name='IndyMojo' timestamp='1424734982' post='11013831']
[/quote]

You loved the SGX, but have sent back all GPS devices? I'm confused.

I have the Touch, but because of this winter that continues to bring cold temps I haven't had it out on the course. Syncing and downloading courses via Bluetooth was easy and I'm hoping they have most of the bugs worked out by the time I get to play.
[/quote]
As i stated above, my SGX failed/broke after 13 months. sky caddie wanted 85.00 for a refurbished unit thus i said no, just send me new touch which they did. I had such a bad experience with it for 3 consecutive days so i sent it back. i came to forum today to see if any good new on touch so i could possibly buy again. I'm still using iPhone golfshot. works great, just to big for cup holder on golf cart which is a pet peeve of mine especially when i play 5 days a week. Constantly throwing iPhone up into the front compartment is a hassle.

I'm looking at buying a GPS unit right now and I'm tempted to get the Touch since it is the current platform, but I'm nervous after reading comments from so many dissatisfied users. I actually ordered and just received a "New" Breeze from Bogies R Us golf via Amazon, with the intention of adding the feature packs. Unfortunately that store seems to think that a used unit registered in late 2012 (and as such, obviously out of warranty) qualifies as "New" ! lol.

Anyway, now my choices are to go with the Breeze from another retailer at $199 + the currently discounted feature packs for $49, or go with the Touch and hope I like it more than some others seem to. Unfortunately my local store is sold out of them so I can't try a Touch in person.

Any advice? Are any of you now feeling better about your Touch after recent updates, or do they still have a ways to go? Thanks a lot for your input.