2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Gamble Sands

oregongolf

Just want to bump Gamble Sands to the top. Any course reviews or news?

I've learned that GS is opening an on-site Inn this summer. Seems like a smart move. Noted on their website.

Only a chip and a chair odds of me getting there this year, but also learned about the Lake Chelan area. Great weather, scenery, golf, Lake Chelan, and wine tasting? Checks all the boxes.

Rates seem $30 too high in my opinion but I'm really drawn to the course and view it as a destination so willing to shell out the bucks as part of a vacation.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've learned that GS is opening an on-site Inn this summer. Seems like a smart move. Noted on their website.

Only a chip and a chair odds of me getting there this year, but also learned about the Lake Chelan area. Great weather, scenery, golf, Lake Chelan, and wine tasting? Checks all the boxes.

Rates seem $30 too high in my opinion but I'm really drawn to the course and view it as a destination so willing to shell out the bucks as part of a vacation.

The WSGA mid am is there this August. Would be a great way to play 3 rounds and in a little competition.

Do it one time.....spring is the best because of a slight price break as I feel it is very over priced based on the local.

I just got back from a golf trip last weekend to Bear Mtn and Desert Canyon. Unbelievable weather out there right now. Mid 80's sunshine and low winds. I played Gamble Sands at the end of last summer, Sept if I remember right. I've never played in such brutal winds. The course is setup right at the bend of the Columbia River and winds can swirl up to 45mph. Fun course from the tips and not terribly hard. There was a par 3 that we played at 263yds which was down wind. Lots of force carry tee shots.

If I were you I'd make a weekend out of it, rent a place in Wapato point and hit up all 3 courses. Also heard Alta Lake is quite a fun track.

Callaway Paradym 11° .::. MRC Diamana GT 60X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 16.5° .::. Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75 | 04
Callaway Rogue ST Max 21° .::. Oban Revenge 85 | 04
Fourteen TC888 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S
Mizuno T22 52°/58° .::. DG S400 TI
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd .::. Matrix U11-P01 for Piretti

Bettinardi BB1-LN Soft Carbon .::. MRC Diamana P135 2.0
Bridgestone Tour B XS

played four rounds at Gamble Sands one year ago. Other than slow greens, the course was in fine condition.

It's very walkable, like Wine Valley & easier to get around than Chambers Bay.

With a top summer rate of $135 + tax for walkers, it's comparable to WV ($110 + tax) & much better than CB ($275 + tax).

It's not as challenging as WV or CB. Gamble is really fun.

I'd rate these three courses: WV, CB, & Gamble Sands.

• 1 month later...

I sent a mail to see on the progress of the accommodations at Gamble Sands and it looks like late July/August they should be available to book.

I'm heading out there at the start of July, so looks like I'll be a month or two too early... Wennatchee fleabag motel here I come! ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 1 month later...

Well I got out to Gamble Sands on Canada Day (July 1st) and played 36 holes and I have to say it is a fantastic piece of property with a really fun golf course laid out over top of it :)

Played the first morning round with a twosome and another single (really good guys) and we played from the greens at 6200yd and then I went back out at lunch time and played from the 6700yd orange tees. Definitely a more enjoyable course from 6700, but it is still good fun from the greens, just a few too many 9s and PWs from there.

The turf was awesome, most linksy turf of any course I've played that wasn't Bandon or a heathland/links course in the UK/Ireland. The playing conditions worked great with the course layout to enable you to play whatever type of shot you visualized. As someone who draws the ball (R to L) I felt the course set up more advantageously for that shot shape than the reverse. Not excessively so, maybe 60/40 or 70/30. Great to see a course touted as 'walkable' that genuinely was.

Looks like DMK has learned some valuable lessons from his show how clever he is phase at The Castle Course, Stonebrae, Tetherow. Going the C&C route, puts Gamble Sands way closer to his Bandon effort than the others.

Very few criticisms about the course, except that there are likely one or two too many 'reachable' holes out there. 3 par 4s reachable off the tee and 2 par 5s reachable in two removes some of the neatness/uniqueness of being able to reach such holes IMHO. #8 should probably have its teebox pushed back 30-40yds. I'm not a long hitter by any means and reached them 8/10 times in my two rounds. There could also be a tendency for tee shots on some holes to collect in the same area. Green speeds could also stand to match the pace of the practice green; however, I understand they have to be protective of the speeds for when the wind comes up. The bunkers are definitely hazards and that can be taken either way really ;)

It is indeed a hike to get out there, especially as the middle of my very roundabout route from Seatac to Vancouver, BC. Canadian customs in Osoyoos were sure I was making it up, that I would go that far out of the way to play golf. That said I reckon I will try and make it a yearly trip, such was how much I enjoyed it. Obviously the newest it typically the shiniest and most vivid in memory, but I'd still put Gamble Sands at the head of the class for faux links courses I've played, alongside Prairie Club/Dunes and ahead of Chambers, Wildhorse, Prairie Club/Pines, Erin Hills, Arcadia Bluffs, and Castle Course.

A few pics for good measure:

From 2nd tee box:

From near 8th green:

From behind the 12th green:

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 9 months later...

I was out there this past weekend and the greens are less than good. They had a lot fertilizer (maybe?) and sand on them. It also appeared they were punched a few weeks back. I would guess they would be better and playing normal in another week of two. The rest of the course is fantastic. Played very firm and the ball was rolling forever on the downwind holes. On some holes I could get 75-100 yards of roll. The course played very linksy, which is always fun to see.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, finally made it to Gamble for a couple of rounds. A year in the making! Great fun. Course was as enjoyable as I had hoped. Shaved five strokes off my second round after I learned the course a bit.

The complimentary two wheel push cart was great on the back nine when it was getting hot out. No sore shoulders or back from lugging clubs. Decent range, nice chipping/putting area and the views are great. Friendly staff and good food in the restaurant.

The $6 yardage book is well worth it and they have pin position sheets, too. I found Pin 2 set up to be tougher than 3. And it's true: if you're playing well, it's a course you can go low on.

Well done, Mr. Kidd. Looking forward to your next creation at Sand Valley in WI.