2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Gamble Sands

oregongolf

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[url="http://methowvalleynews.com/2013/10/02/a-sand-trap-that-looks-like-a-golf-course/"]http://methowvalleynews.com/2013/10/02/a-sand-trap-that-looks-like-a-golf-course/[/url]

$150 per round, $50 for a cart, caddies available, short distances to walk, no trees, will be fun in our 100 degree summer weather!

I can see the location from my house, and have driven up above it many many times.

I am very interested in playing it, but for that cost not so sure. We have Desert Canyon and Bear Mountain within 45 minutes and they are almost half price!

My hope is that it brings in people to help boost our two smaller courses, Lake woods and Alta Lake, Alta Lake is a nice course, definitely worth a try, and Lake woods is a cheap, fun course, that doesn't see a lot of traffic.

I have an annual Masters trip to the Chelan area every year with my golfing buddies. This has been on our radar but unfortunately they don't open until summer of '14.

We usually play Masters Thurs-Sun at Bear and Desert. Great people out there in Chelan and always hooks us up with industry rates.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had just saw this course though Cascade Golfer, and looks like it will be enjoyable. This gives me another reason to finally go play Bear Mountain and Desert Canyon, and make an extended weekend trip.

Titleist 10.5* 913D3 Dia Blue 62
Titleist 17* 913F 4W Dia Blue 62
Titleist 3i 712u Driving Iron KBS Tour-V
Titleist 714 CB 5-PW KBS Tour-V
Odyssey ProType Black #9
Vokey SM5 50,56,60

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='asommers14' timestamp='1405607045' post='9720089']
How is the course. I might be flying into Seattle and was thinking about making the drive out there. I know its kind of out of my way but it looked nice.
[/quote]Doesn't open to the public until Aug 1st, and a lot of the area over there is currently engulfed in flames. Tough to get out that way right now.

[quote name='JJH_PGA' timestamp='1405920228' post='9746629']
[quote name='asommers14' timestamp='1405607045' post='9720089']
How is the course. I might be flying into Seattle and was thinking about making the drive out there. I know its kind of out of my way but it looked nice.
[/quote]Doesn't open to the public until Aug 1st, and a lot of the area over there is currently engulfed in flames. Tough to get out that way right now.
[/quote]

I knew that. My calendar in my head was messed up a bit

I was going to play it this Weds Aug 6th but my group decided it wasn't worth driving 7 hrs to and from Seattle for 1 round. The PNGA has a deal right now where you can get a free replay through the month of August. Twilight rates aren't that bad either for a resort course. The one huge attraction is being able to drive carts on a links style course but the 100 degree weather right now in the area has put me off for now.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

Played the course Sunday with younger brother. Beautiful course, amazing views, will not survive. Kidd did an amazing job designing the course to flow with the terrain, yet also allowing the golfer to take risks in search of great rewards. Arriving an hour early for our 8:30am tee time we were greeted by staff who helped unload our truck onto the cart, allowing us to get our shoes on and anything we needed out of the truck while they advised us their valet service will then take and park the truck returning it to the clubhouse as we come up 18 (impressed). Went inside and paid for our round and chatted with the wonderful staff and found the course was wide open go whenever we are ready. Hit a few balls (taylormade practice) on the range then practice putting and we were off by 8am. First round from the Medal tees (tips) with decent temps and no wind we both shot 80's and were impressed with the roll/speed of the greens, ability of such a young course to play links style and putt from 30+ yrds off the green, and the turf is perfectly sandy like bandon allowing for divots taken with ease. Played first round like lightning and were done and back on the tee box ($50 replay) by 10:30am and played the "Back" tees for second round (impressed myself with a 73 second round and knew I left 3 silly 3ft missed putts out there). Overall, great experience and will go back. However, needs to be noted, the only food/beverage available to us the whole time we were there was the cart girl driving around. Not sure what's going on with the restaurant portion but there wasn't anyone around and no one in the bar. Wished I would've packed some food. Also noted, you take the first left off the main highway and start driving on the gravel road.... till you feel like you're lost then you'll finally see another sign to take a right... feels the whole time like you're driving off into nowhere with no course in sight.

[quote name='sky7051' timestamp='1407252314' post='9862119']
Played the course Sunday with younger brother. Beautiful course, amazing views, [b]will not survive[/b]. Kidd did an amazing job designing the course to flow with the terrain, yet also allowing the golfer to take risks in search of great rewards. Arriving an hour early for our 8:30am tee time we were greeted by staff who helped unload our truck onto the cart, allowing us to get our shoes on and anything we needed out of the truck while they advised us their valet service will then take and park the truck returning it to the clubhouse as we come up 18 (impressed). Went inside and paid for our round and chatted with the wonderful staff and found the course was wide open go whenever we are ready. Hit a few balls (taylormade practice) on the range then practice putting and we were off by 8am. First round from the Medal tees (tips) with decent temps and no wind we both shot 80's and were impressed with the roll/speed of the greens, ability of such a young course to play links style and putt from 30+ yrds off the green, and the turf is perfectly sandy like bandon allowing for divots taken with ease. Played first round like lightning and were done and back on the tee box ($50 replay) by 10:30am and played the "Back" tees for second round (impressed myself with a 73 second round and knew I left 3 silly 3ft missed putts out there). Overall, great experience and will go back. However, needs to be noted, the only food/beverage available to us the whole time we were there was the cart girl driving around. Not sure what's going on with the restaurant portion but there wasn't anyone around and no one in the bar. Wished I would've packed some food. Also noted, you take the first left off the main highway and start driving on the gravel road.... till you feel like you're lost then you'll finally see another sign to take a right... feels the whole time like you're driving off into nowhere with no course in sight.
[/quote]
Thanks for your review...I'm going up there this Saturday with my brother. What do you mean "will not survive"? Financially?

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

[quote name='jamie' timestamp='1407252770' post='9862193']
Played the course Sunday with younger brother. Beautiful course, amazing views, [b]will not survive[/b]. Kidd did an amazing job designing the course to flow with the terrain, yet also allowing the golfer to take risks in search of great rewards. Arriving an hour early for our 8:30am tee time we were greeted by staff who helped unload our truck onto the cart, allowing us to get our shoes on and anything we needed out of the truck while they advised us their valet service will then take and park the truck returning it to the clubhouse as we come up 18 (impressed). Went inside and paid for our round and chatted with the wonderful staff and found the course was wide open go whenever we are ready. Hit a few balls (taylormade practice) on the range then practice putting and we were off by 8am. First round from the Medal tees (tips) with decent temps and no wind we both shot 80's and were impressed with the roll/speed of the greens, ability of such a young course to play links style and putt from 30+ yrds off the green, and the turf is perfectly sandy like bandon allowing for divots taken with ease. Played first round like lightning and were done and back on the tee box ($50 replay) by 10:30am and played the "Back" tees for second round (impressed myself with a 73 second round and knew I left 3 silly 3ft missed putts out there). Overall, great experience and will go back. However, needs to be noted, the only food/beverage available to us the whole time we were there was the cart girl driving around. Not sure what's going on with the restaurant portion but there wasn't anyone around and no one in the bar. Wished I would've packed some food. Also noted, you take the first left off the main highway and start driving on the gravel road.... till you feel like you're lost then you'll finally see another sign to take a right... feels the whole time like you're driving off into nowhere with no course in sight.
[/quote]
Thanks for your review...I'm going up there this Saturday with my brother. What do you mean "will not survive"? Financially?
[/quote]
Yes, at the price point they're going to need a massive influx of out-of-area golfers much like bandon receives. Unfortunately with the 100+ degree summer temps and the location I estimate it'll be much like Desert Canyon was when it was built, banko within the first 5 years. Sad to think about for such an amazing course.

[quote name='sky7051' timestamp='1407253669' post='9862325']
[quote name='jamie' timestamp='1407252770' post='9862193']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Yes, at the price point they're going to need a massive influx of out-of-area golfers much like bandon receives. Unfortunately with the 100+ degree summer temps and the location I estimate it'll be much like Desert Canyon was when it was built, banko within the first 5 years. Sad to think about for such an amazing course.
[/quote]
I agree with you. Unless I'm in the area, Saturday will be a one time deal...driving over 3 hours and paying over $130 isn't attractive to me.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING VALOR CB 35"

[quote name='sky7051' timestamp='1407945728' post='9924669']
did you end up playing Saturday? Anyone else been there yet? Thoughts?
[/quote]
Yep. We enjoyed it a lot...extremely fun course. We played it at 6700...I thought the course played well shorter since the ball was flying so far. Off the tee was extremely open and holes that had any sort of trouble, there was an obvious bailout area. I don't get to hit bump and runs normally so that was a lot of fun. I drove 2 greens and on 3 par 5's in two. My lag putting wasn't very good, which didn't help my score. We carted it which was $150. I don't plan on playing it anytime soon...price and distance but I'd recommend playing it.

PING VALOR CB 35"

Played it today, carted, which was nice.
Enjoyed the course, open, relatively easy, I had problems with ball striking so when was in the sandy areas, killed myself with poor shots. I think you could go low pretty easily.
Food Cart was available 3 different times, and restocked us with water on the house, that was a nice gesture. Temps were in mid 90s, slight wind, course was "open" but we were waiting on groups once we hit the back, and had some groups catch us. I thought the greens were slow, yardage was difficult to figure, even with the yardage book they sell in clubhouse. But still, overall, i was pleased, will golf again without doubt, wouldnt pay the full price though, luckily I wont be required to.

[quote name='Weekday Golfer' timestamp='1408331758' post='9954843']
Enjoyed the course, open, relatively easy, I had problems with ball striking so when was in the sandy areas, killed myself with poor shots. I think you could go low pretty easily.
Food Cart was available 3 different times, and restocked us with water on the house, that was a nice gesture. Temps were in mid 90s, slight wind, course was "open" but we were waiting on groups once we hit the back, and had some groups catch us. I thought the greens were slow, yardage was difficult to figure, even with the yardage book they sell in clubhouse. But still, overall, i was pleased, will golf again without doubt, w[b]ouldnt pay the full price though, luckily I wont be required to.[/b]
[/quote]

I wouldn't drive all that way and pay $150 either. How do you get a discount?

Was it busy when you guys played?
For kicks I took a look at their online teesheet (assuming its hooked up and accurate) for the Labour day weekend and they have pretty much every time still available.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1408334242' post='9955031']
[quote name='Weekday Golfer' timestamp='1408331758' post='9954843']
Food Cart was available 3 different times, and restocked us with water on the house, that was a nice gesture. Temps were in mid 90s, slight wind, course was "open" but we were waiting on groups once we hit the back, and had some groups catch us. I thought the greens were slow, yardage was difficult to figure, even with the yardage book they sell in clubhouse. But still, overall, i was pleased, will golf again without doubt, w[b]ouldnt pay the full price though, luckily I wont be required to.[/b]
[/quote]

I wouldn't drive all that way and pay $150 either. How do you get a discount?
[/quote]

I can see the course from my house, they have offered a discount to the town residents. Have to show proof of residency.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1408336178' post='9955167']
Was it busy when you guys played?
For kicks I took a look at their online teesheet (assuming its hooked up and accurate) for the Labour day weekend and they have pretty much every time still available.
[/quote]

I called to the clubhouse around 11 to see if i needed a tee time and was told the course was wide open in the afternoon, when i got out there at 1130 the parking lot was full (20 or so cars). Nobody hit tee box for about 45 minutes, we caught groups by 10th. By the time we finished, around 4, it did not look like there was many people on course.

Was about 90-95 by then, but it was a dry heat. We went over to our other local course, Lake Woods, and it was muggy, made for a rough round. We are pretty used to golfing in 90-100+ heat here, so going late afternoon, at the hottest part of day, to an open course wont be a problem.

Played 36 holes there last Thursday. This is maybe the best golf course in Washington state...I have not played Wine Valley but IMHO it's better than Chambers even though very similar style and look but not as hilly. Greens are very receptive and playable. Fairways are wide and forgiving. There are backboards and sideboards to use on approach shots...a couple drivable par 4's...a couple monster par 4's...a couple easy par fives and a couple hard par 5's. Holes 4-6 might be the hardest 3 hole stretch I've ever played. 650 plus par 5, 500 yard par 4 and 235 yard par 3.... Piece of cake!
The views are amazing and the routing flows through the natural terrain like it was just placed there by god himself. Clubhouse is pretty decent and the restaurant is up and running with pretty good food.
We got absolutely puked on by rain for the first 6-7 holes to the point that the greens were pretty unplayable, but once the rain quit the course drained amazingly quick. Had we not driven 4 hours from Seattle we would've quit after 4 holes but I'm glad we didn't. By the time we finished and had lunch the sun was out and the second 18 was glorious. There was nobody out on the course so we played the last 16 holes as a 6-some...when have you ever been able to do that.
Anyway to all the accolades is the downside...I too do not see this course surviving...too far away and too pricey. They have plans to add another course, some homesites and a small hotel. Homesites will ruin this masterpiece...picture a mustache on the Mona Lisa if you will. A second course of similar quality and a small hotel could help...it's just such a haul to get there. Not sure they can make it but I hope they do.
Our banzai run from seattle started at 4:30am and ended back home at 12:15 am..36 holes...approx 700 miles....3 eagles, 12 birdies and an 11....priceless. One of the top 5 all time days of golf in my life

[attachment=2383187:photo 1.JPG][attachment=2383189:photo 2.JPG][attachment=2383191:photo 3.JPG][attachment=2383193:photo 4.JPG][attachment=2383195:photo 5.JPG][attachment=2383197:photo.JPG]

I can do google maps and see the distance and suggested time, also some years back I did a Vancouver BC to Spokane and back run over a long weekend so I can vaguely remember the region; however, how much of a PITA is it from Seattle to there?

I am 1/2 tempted to take a day and go out and play it one weekend this autumn (might go to a Hawks or Huskies game this year and would do it then).

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1408424239' post='9963061']
I can do google maps and see the distance and suggested time, also some years back I did a Vancouver BC to Spokane and back run over a long weekend so I can vaguely remember the region; however, how much of a PITA is it from Seattle to there?

I am 1/2 tempted to take a day and go out and play it one weekend this autumn (might go to a Hawks or Huskies game this year and would do it then).
[/quote]

duffer987...it's a good 3.5 hours from north seattle. We went US 2 which is a 2 lane state hwy.... that means lots of rv and truck traffic to pass. We came home over US 97 out of Wenatchee so we could get back to I90( the main east/west interstate) in hopes we could travel a little faster there...still took 3.5 as the mileage is a bit longer that way back to the north end. Add in a couple stops for food/gas/bathrooms each way and its a 7.5-8 hour day of driving.....and the course is so awesome it's totally worth it

Played 36 yesterday. Staff was great. Course was surprisingly good. Lots of enjoyable shots. Views abound. Very walkable!! Green more subdued. I expect them to become more fun when green speeds increase. Overall just a blast. I have it as #2 in the state behind Chambers. The green fees are too high IMO. I don't know if we will come back on an annual basis from Seattle. I really hope they make it as it's out in the sticks. Conclusion - you gotta play it.

Played 36 yesterday as well. Took a caddie and walked the first round, then took a cart on our own for the 2nd. Really like this course - has a really good mix of drivable par-4's, long par 3's, and really interesting par 5's. The first round we had no wind for the first 11-12 holes, then got a wind blowing from the east - made 17 and 18 really short. The 2nd round we actually had a pretty stiff wind blowing the other way, and the course completely changed (18 for example went from driver - 9 iron to driver, 3w, pw...very different hole).

Overall the course is really fun - the rating and slope make a lot of sense - not easy to go low, but also not too hard to come in right around your index. I will say that I hope they ditch the carts going forward - I'm worried that the turf won't stand up to people taking carts all over the place. The caddies there are great, and the course is very walkable (we played the back tees and most of the tee boxes were within a few yards of the previous green).

I agree with the above - give the course a year or two and they will start cutting the greens to be a bit faster, and the course will be that much better. Would definitely recommend making the trip!

• 3 weeks later...

Just played the course yesterday and it was amazing. Friendliest, most relaxed staff I've seen at a high end course and perfect golf-focused setting. The round was one of the most enjoyable of my life. I started out terribly, (4 over after 4 holes) and then had a stretch of pars and an eagle and a birdie and finished on another bogey train and was stil able to shoot a 77 from the tips (3 handicap). Every shot has multiple options, picking the right one is key and bad shots aren't as severly punished as expected. A few holes definitely reward the safer route and penalize what seems to be a much greater drive. I would strongly suggest 36 holes or playing back to back days and it's very walkable which is encouraged by the staff which is cool to see. They're not arrogant about it, just not trying to make an extra few bucks on carts. However, caddies were not offered, not sure if they were available as the few that were around when I showed up seemed to have left by noon. Shot options and experience can not be matched around Seattle, so the trip is definitely worth it. Played Bear Mountain Ranch while I was out there which was in spectactualr shape and a great experience as well. Greens do need some time to more appropriately fit the course. But condition wise... I'm from Seattle so I'm not complaining! Also, pro shop is stocked with some pretty cool stuff, not a lot of big brands other than the more unique stuff from Oakley and Under Armour.

Ping G410 9 degree Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75x
Srixon Z U65 18 GD Tour AD 95X
Honma 737vn 5-10 DG S400 AMT Tour Issue, 737P 4 iron 
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 60/6, 56/10, 52/10 DG S400 Tour Issue
Ping Vault Anser 2

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Jhuttster' timestamp='1408458014' post='9964613']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1408424239' post='9963061']

[/quote]

duffer987...it's a good 3.5 hours from north seattle. We went US 2 which is a 2 lane state hwy.... that means lots of rv and truck traffic to pass. We came home over US 97 out of Wenatchee so we could get back to I90( the main east/west interstate) in hopes we could travel a little faster there...still took 3.5 as the mileage is a bit longer that way back to the north end. Add in a couple stops for food/gas/bathrooms each way and its a 7.5-8 hour day of driving.....and the course is so awesome it's totally worth it
[/quote]

That's the problem there. I once took highway 2 to leavenworth. Quick two hour jaunt that ended up taking 3.5 hours because of all the bends and slow traffic. Went down to Ellensburg from Leavenworth and got back to Seattle in about 2 hours from Leavenworth. Always, always, take I-90. The mornings when I would leave my girlfriend's apartment at 6:30 in Seattle and make it to Ellensburg for my 8:00 class validated the use of the interstate over the state highway for me.

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"