Streamsong , allround the best golf destination I have visited in the US

petercybulskipp

I am playing the Red course in February, and my expectations are not super high actually. I already know it won't be a good value, just going more as a curiosity. I am just going to forget the $ aspect and enjoy the day with my dad. There is a lot of discussion in his circles (sw FL. Snowbirds) on whether or not this businesses model is really viable.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the competition is between Streamsong, which is a fairly long and tedious trip for me, and the Ocean Course at Kiawah which is close enough I could leave now and tee off around lunch time. Sounds like Kiawah without a caddie is about the same cost as Streamsong with a caddie, roughly. Then again only one world class course at Kiawah (OTOH Brian feels the same about Streamsong ;-) but honestly I'd be gobsmacked if I like either the Red or Blue as much as I adore the Ocean Course.

Anyway, maybe I'll see Streamsong one day but only if I have other reasons to be in Flordia (which hasn't happened in the past few decades so I won't hold my breath). A prime season trip there including airfare, rental car and a couple rounds at each course would be $1,500 or more.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1389950065' post='8476535']
[quote name='tw422' timestamp='1389928200' post='8475617']

Caddie we had was ok not great but not horrible. It was his second day on the job. I was a little peeved when he said (after we handed $160), "typically we get $100 bag". Really, for what? I pay for good service and I'm willing to pay more for great caddies. I've played Merion, Pine Valley and others in the top 5 and have never given a caddy $100 for a bag. My guess is they are having a hard time attracting and retaining good caddies there so they are telling guests to tip $100/bag.

[/quote]

Almost every post I've read on this site about Streamsong, talks about how wonderful the caddy was and recommends the specific caddy by name. I'll bet that every poster who did that, has never played with a caddy before.

I agree with you, 100%. The caddies are over-paid, just average and I know for a fact they've been having problems with attracting caddies and keeping them there.
[/quote]

Keiser's (who is in on Streamsong) stand in caddies is "if we pay them enough good caddies will come." And that's a legitimate quote from him. Now I understand that there are bad caddies taking advantage of this, but if the caddies were making $50 a bag then I highly doubt that as many good ones would drive to the middle of nowhere daily hoping to loop.

Caddie we had was ok not great but not horrible. It was his second day on the job. I was a little peeved when he said (after we handed $160), "typically we get $100 bag". Really, for what? I pay for good service and I'm willing to pay more for great caddies. I've played Merion, Pine Valley and others in the top 5 and have never given a caddy $100 for a bag. My guess is they are having a hard time attracting and retaining good caddies there so they are telling guests to tip $100/bag.

[/quote]

Almost every post I've read on this site about Streamsong, talks about how wonderful the caddy was and recommends the specific caddy by name. I'll bet that every poster who did that, has never played with a caddy before.

I agree with you, 100%. The caddies are over-paid, just average and I know for a fact they've been having problems with attracting caddies and keeping them there.
[/quote]

Our caddy was exceptional...Rocky. He's also Hale Irwin's caddy on the Champions Tour. And, no, this wasn't my first caddy experience.

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

[/quote]

Almost every post I've read on this site about Streamsong, talks about how wonderful the caddy was and recommends the specific caddy by name. [b]I'll bet that every poster who did that, has never played with a caddy before. [/b]

[/quote]

How much would you like to bet on that? And are you this arrogant in real life?

Interesting comments--we played it early last year, first month of opening I believe. Loved it.

I thought then, and the comments here seem to still support this--that they will open a solid hotel and continue very high prices, with the expectation that the major revenue will come from a recovering corporate golf market. Orlando and Tampa make the travel reasonable, and if they have meeting facilities (even modest ones), the opportunity for 2-3 day corporate meetings/events will bring solid money in.

Unfortunately, that will make it expensive for the average daily golfer...but not too different from other major golf "destinations".

If they can't make that work, there is always the option of lowering cost, reducing staff, etc, etc...but I doubt they want to start that way.

For those of you who don't know the story behind the golf course, the company that "owns" the land, has at least 25,000 acres of a former phosphate mine. Under federal regulation, they are required to "reclaim" the land after mining is complete. They figured out that building a golf course was cheaper than "reclamation". They brought in the Bandon Dunes developers and proceeded to manufacture themselves a golf destination.

You really do not understand Mosaic when you issue a statement such as this - think way beyond where you are currently. Price was never an issue and profitability even less so. Making the statement to the powers to be aka Washington - priceless.

Cheers
<><

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390008135' post='8481021']
[quote name='BamafaninKY' timestamp='1389987881' post='8479277']

How much would you like to bet on that? And are you this arrogant in real life?
[/quote]

I'm exactly the same in "real life", that's why I'm not afraid to use my real name and photo when I make a post.
[/quote]

So what's your bet "BrianL"? Crickets?

I played countless times on both the Red and the Blue over the summer...$75 walking for Florida residents was a steal. I was always first or second out in the morning and would be done walking 18 within 3 hours. It was hot yes, but the courses were in absolutely pristine shape. If it wasn't too bad out I could turn right around and pay the $65 replay rate and get 36 in. However I've heard on here and from people at the resort they might not offer that deal this coming summer.

As for the time it takes to get there, where I was in Tampa I had to drive 30-45 mins for decent golf, so the hour long drive was worth it to me.

Because I always walked and carried my own bag, I never took a caddy at Streamsong so I can't comment on the quality of the guys. I do know if you take a cart they require you to take a caddy, and they also have walking caddies available as well. Getting a cart which would then require you to get a caddy is kindof a ripoff in my opinion, it effectively doubles the walking rate.

Best golf destination I've been to? Yes, only because its the only one I've been to. I haven't been to Pinehurst or Bandon or anything like that yet, but as good as the courses at Streamsong are they won't provide the overall experience that I'm sure Pinehurst and Bandon provide. Pinehurst has the history and Bandon has a bunch of unique courses plus the ocean. Streamsong will suffer a bit from its location, but Mosaic really doesn't care about that as this is just a fun little side venture for them. Its also a great way to get press.

So, the courses are well worth the $75 walking rate in the summer. Once that price starts exceeding $140 to walk I think its overpriced. Good to play and experience, but overpriced.

[sign here]

[quote name='italianstallion' timestamp='1390027236' post='8482277']
I played countless times on both the Red and the Blue over the summer...$75 walking for Florida residents was a steal. I was always first or second out in the morning and would be done walking 18 within 3 hours. It was hot yes, but the courses were in absolutely pristine shape. If it wasn't too bad out I could turn right around and pay the $65 replay rate and get 36 in. However I've heard on here and from people at the resort they might not offer that deal this coming summer.

As for the time it takes to get there, where I was in Tampa I had to drive 30-45 mins for decent golf, so the hour long drive was worth it to me.

Because I always walked and carried my own bag, I never took a caddy at Streamsong so I can't comment on the quality of the guys. I do know if you take a cart they require you to take a caddy, and they also have walking caddies available as well. Getting a cart which would then require you to get a caddy is kindof a ripoff in my opinion, it effectively doubles the walking rate.

Best golf destination I've been to? Yes, only because its the only one I've been to. I haven't been to Pinehurst or Bandon or anything like that yet, but as good as the courses at Streamsong are they won't provide the overall experience that I'm sure Pinehurst and Bandon provide. Pinehurst has the history and Bandon has a bunch of unique courses plus the ocean. Streamsong will suffer a bit from its location, but Mosaic really doesn't care about that as this is just a fun little side venture for them. Its also a great way to get press.

So, the courses are well worth the $75 walking rate in the summer. Once that price starts exceeding $140 to walk I think its overpriced. Good to play and experience, but overpriced.
[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts ! I've heard the same thing as you, they won't offer the "Resident Rate" this year.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1389968547' post='8477245']
For me the competition is between Streamsong, which is a fairly long and tedious trip for me, and the Ocean Course at Kiawah which is close enough I could leave now and tee off around lunch time. Sounds like Kiawah without a caddie is about the same cost as Streamsong with a caddie, roughly. Then again only one world class course at Kiawah (OTOH Brian feels the same about Streamsong ;-) but honestly I'd be gobsmacked if I like either the Red or Blue as much as I adore the Ocean Course.

Anyway, maybe I'll see Streamsong one day but only if I have other reasons to be in Flordia (which hasn't happened in the past few decades so I won't hold my breath). A prime season trip there including airfare, rental car and a couple rounds at each course would be $1,500 or more.
[/quote]

I'm guessing it would cost a lot more than that. The "Stay & Play" package is $575/night per person double occupancy,includes 36 walking, so that alone is $1,150, which doesn't include cart if you want one, caddie if you want/need one, resort food prices (with no local alternatives). Plus airfare. Plus rental car.

It does seem they are looking squarely at the corporate market for which such prices wouldn't be prohibitive, and/or tax write off or other business reasons.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

[quote name='DrSchteeve' timestamp='1390058230' post='8483179']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1389968547' post='8477245']

[/quote]

I'm guessing it would cost a lot more than that. The "Stay &amp; Play" package is $575/night per person double occupancy,includes 36 walking, so that alone is $1,150, which doesn't include cart if you want one, caddie if you want/need one, resort food prices (with no local alternatives). Plus airfare. Plus rental car.

It does seem they are looking squarely at the corporate market for which such prices wouldn't be prohibitive, and/or tax write off or other business reasons.
[/quote]

Don't forget the the tax on that SS lodging. Brings it to $650 per person for one night. Prime season 36 holes normally costs about $280 walking, so you're paying about $370 just to share a room for one night. That's a $740 room! Any way you slice it, that's a lot. And typically a package offers some sort of value. Not here. Not yet at least.

Of course, I'll be dumb enough to stay there in a few weeks : )

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1389922602' post='8474885']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1389921940' post='8474793']
[quote name='petercybulskipp' timestamp='1389921666' post='8474747']
[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1389872106' post='8470195']
Just curious as to which other destinations you've visited,
[/quote]
Plenty. It's an opinion...
[/quote]

It's a fair question. I don't think it should be taken as accusatory, as this is all we got:

"The courses are fantastic , especially red."

Those of us interested in playing different courses and golf course architecture might appreciate a deeper review that juxtaposes the Streamsong courses with a course or courses that we might have played and be familiar with :)
[/quote]

In which case I'll give you an opinion ... I've been there 3 times.

The Doak course isn't much of a track, in my opinion. You can hit the ball most anywhere. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of a wide open parkland course and it's nothing like a "links" course, as they present the complex to be.

The Crenshaw course is head and shoulders above the Doaks course, in my opinion. MUCH tougher. You need to hit it straight. That said, you also need to know where to hit the ball, in order to have a reasonable shot at the green. It's a quality course in my opinion, but not an "America's Top 100".

As courses in Florida go, it's nothing like anything you'll ever see there. They moved zillions of yards of material to build the course ... it is ENTIRELY man-made. Not they didn't do a good job of making it, but there's nothing "real" about it.

For those of you who don't know the story behind the golf course, the company that "owns" the land, has at least 25,000 acres of a former phosphate mine. Under federal regulation, they are required to "reclaim" the land after mining is complete. They figured out that building a golf course was cheaper than "reclamation". They brought in the Bandon Dunes developers and proceeded to manufacture themselves a golf destination.

If the Greens Fees were $125-$135, I'd say it was a good deal. At $195 or whatever it is now, it's over-priced in my opinion. Again, for people in Florida and much of the south, they are really unusual, neat golf courses. If you've played in Europe, you won't be impressed. Depending on your tastes in golf courses, if you've played many of America's Top 100, you'll like the courses, but understand that they're certainly no Fisher's Island, Oakmont, Merion, Seminole, Pine Valley or a myriad of other courses (most of which I haven't played, of course).

From my frame of reference, living in New England ... the Crenshaw course would probably make the Top 25 in New England, the Doaks course, I don't think so.
[/quote]

I really wanted to play a couple rounds here, but it sounds like that would be a huge mistake after reading this. Any courses in Florida you would recommend.

[quote name='cassel191919' timestamp='1390067084' post='8483893']
[/quote]
[/quote]

It's a fair question. I don't think it should be taken as accusatory, as this is all we got:

Those of us interested in playing different courses and golf course architecture might appreciate a deeper review that juxtaposes the Streamsong courses with a course or courses that we might have played and be familiar with :)
[/quote]

The Doak course isn't much of a track, in my opinion. You can hit the ball most anywhere. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of a wide open parkland course and it's nothing like a "links" course, as they present the complex to be.

The Crenshaw course is head and shoulders above the Doaks course, in my opinion. MUCH tougher. You need to hit it straight. That said, you also need to know where to hit the ball, in order to have a reasonable shot at the green. It's a quality course in my opinion, but not an "America's Top 100".

As courses in Florida go, it's nothing like anything you'll ever see there. They moved zillions of yards of material to build the course ... it is ENTIRELY man-made. Not they didn't do a good job of making it, but there's nothing "real" about it.

If the Greens Fees were $125-$135, I'd say it was a good deal. At $195 or whatever it is now, it's over-priced in my opinion. Again, for people in Florida and much of the south, they are really unusual, neat golf courses. If you've played in Europe, you won't be impressed. Depending on your tastes in golf courses, if you've played many of America's Top 100, you'll like the courses, but understand that they're certainly no Fisher's Island, Oakmont, Merion, Seminole, Pine Valley or a myriad of other courses (most of which I haven't played, of course).

From my frame of reference, living in New England ... the Crenshaw course would probably make the Top 25 in New England, the Doaks course, I don't think so.
[/quote]

I really wanted to play a couple rounds here, but it sounds like that would be a huge mistake after reading this. Any courses in Florida you would recommend.
[/quote]

I respect Brian's opinion but I wouldn't base your decision on just one post. I've spoken with numerous people, architects included, who have nothing but good to great things to say about both courses--with many preferring the Blue course. In fact, my group is heading down in three weeks and we have elected for two rounds on Blue and only one on Red. So there is definitely enough second hand evidence out there to make it worth a trip and worth finding out for yourself. Maybe not worth the peak rates, but that's subjective anyway.

[/quote]

Don't let my opinion scare you away, they're both very good golf courses. I just don't think they're really Top 100 quality and I think they're prohibitively expense for most people.

I haven't played all that many courses in Florida, but from what I've heard and seen, I think they would probably make Florida's Top 10.

They're different that most any other golf course you might have played.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

World Woods.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

[quote name='DrSchteeve' timestamp='1390091903' post='8486005']

World Woods.
[/quote]

I played Pine Barrens today. I don't think the greens are in great shape and their prices have gone nuts since last Thursday. They had a deal on last week that was something like $42, the lowest price they had this weekend was $119. I booked a "Hot Deal" on GolfNow this morning for $42, but that's all they had. Rolling Oaks is much cheaper lately.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390092553' post='8486063']

World Woods.
[/quote]

I played Pine Barrens today. I don't think the greens are in great shape and their prices have gone nuts since last Thursday. They had a deal on last week that was something like $42, the lowest price they had this weekend was $119. I booked a "Hot Deal" on GolfNow this morning for $42, but that's all they had. Rolling Oaks is much cheaper lately.
[/quote]

Brian, I'm actually spending a couple days at WW too when I'm down there. What were the greens like? Bad or just not great? Also, how was the pace of play on a Saturday?

[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1390095891' post='8486395']
World Woods.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Brian, I'm actually spending a couple days at WW too when I'm down there. What were the greens like? Bad or just not great? Also, how was the pace of play on a Saturday?
[/quote]

When are you coming?

The greens weren't bad ... just not great. I have never seen a pace problem at WW. We tee'd off at 1:40 and were done at 5:40. In spite of what people on this site like to ramble about, it's not really likely a foursome (we were a 3some) can play WW in much less than 4 hours. The vast majority of people on the course this time of the year, are tourists who don't know the course and the courses aren't easy. I've probably played there 20 times and it's always a 4-4:15 round.

I know the greens were over-seeded a few weeks ago and I suspect that slows them down, somewhat. They were running about 8 today. I also find their greens very grainy, but not quite as bad now, as they are in the summer.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390096218' post='8486431']
[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1390095891' post='8486395']
World Woods.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

When are you coming?

The greens weren't bad ... just not great. I have never seen a pace problem at WW. We tee'd off at 1:40 and were done at 5:40. In spite of what people on this site like to ramble about, it's not really likely a foursome (we were a 3some) can play WW in much less than 4 hours. The vast majority of people on the course this time of the year, are tourists who don't know the course and the courses aren't easy. I've probably played there 20 times and it's always a 4-4:15 round.

I know the greens were over-seeded a few weeks ago and I suspect that slows them down, somewhat. They were running about 8 today. I also find their greens very grainy, but not quite as bad now, as they are in the summer.
[/quote]

I'll be down there in exactly 3 weeks. Two days at WW and then also two days at SS. At WW, we are playing 2 rounds on PB and 1 on RO. I guess I shouldn't be too worried about the pace there, I've heard only good things. Just want to make sure we have no issues on our 36 hole day, but sounds like it'll be no problem at all. We've got 8am and 140pm on Saturday.

Are the short course and the practice holes still open, do you know?

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

World Woods.
[/quote]

How do the Streamsong courses compare to World Woods?

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1390129314' post='8488129']
[quote name='Marrrk' timestamp='1390099465' post='8486743']

Are the short course and the practice holes still open, do you know?
[/quote]

As far as I know, they're always open. You'll have no trouble with a 1:40 Tee Time, that's what I had yesterday. It will still be light enough to play at 6 pm.
[/quote]

Ah good. Thought I'd heard they shut down the short course or practice holes or something. Thank you.

Thanks for the honest feedback, Brian. That's exactly the type of candid feedback I can use. Most people only have glowing things to say about places they've gone and it doesn't help to distinguish one place from the rest.

With limited time and budgets, we can only travel to so many places in our lifetimes and I've had buyer's remorse a time or two. Streamsong was near the top of my list for future vacations, but now it's way down. St. George, Utah was bumped up as a result. Thanks again.

I've played WW within the past year. Nice track. Didnt really understand the high rating. I mean, it's fine, but it's not a top flight course. Personally, I thought it was similar to a middling RTJ Trail course in Alabama. I played off season so the rates were reasonable. Long drive from Tampa. Then again I live in Scottsdale where even the goat tracks get rates during the season.

I looked at SS as I'll be in Fla this week and just couldn't justify the price. That hotel rate is truly insane. Bay Hill high season was literally half of that.

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M