2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

Over time and as you build a database of many more shots you will find that those short punch out and chips get ignored. I use my 54* SW for all my chips and such around the green and they no longer show up when I look at club performance. They do not actually use a true average of your shots, but identify a "typical" distance you hit your full shots under "typical" conditions. That is straight from their website.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mulliganman30' timestamp='1435518580' post='11850488']
Just tried mine for the first time yesterday and got a lot of shots marked that I didn't actually take showing things like 3 yards, 2 yards, 0 yards. I guess that is caused by inadvertent bumping. Any suggestions on how to avoid this? Also not liking that recovery punch shots I had to take are included in my overall distance averages for that club. Is there way to take those type of shots out?
[/quote]

I've seen it suggested to use the triangle or other choice "other" tags for things like chip shots or sand shots. Haven't tried it and I am not sure how many tags they will allow you to have active at a time. I'm using the app and not the kit so not sure if that will make a difference in set up.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1435520860' post='11850640']
Just tried mine for the first time yesterday and got a lot of shots marked that I didn't actually take showing things like 3 yards, 2 yards, 0 yards. I guess that is caused by inadvertent bumping. Any suggestions on how to avoid this? Also not liking that recovery punch shots I had to take are included in my overall distance averages for that club. Is there way to take those type of shots out?
[/quote]

I've seen it suggested to use the triangle or other choice "other" tags for things like chip shots or sand shots. Haven't tried it and I am not sure how many tags they will allow you to have active at a time. I'm using the app and not the kit so not sure if that will make a difference in set up.
[/quote]

I think and am hoping my chip shots with clubs in yesterday's round weren't included in the average distance (although looking at your round it looks like it may have done that exact thing with your 9 iron). What I do know is that a couple of times or so when I need to hit punch shots under trees I used a hybrid and it did factor into my distance average with that club. Not sure about the lone sand shot I had yesterday.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think to do what you are suggesting Gauchograd99 that you would need a device of some kind that allow you to change "your bag tags" on the website or within an app while on the course. I'm not even sure if the IPAD app lets you do that (my IPAD is wifi only and I don't have a smart phone with a data plan). Good idea though, but that might be the only "downside".

I used to use an extra shot for penalties and chips... It kept things more accurate. My biggest problem is when I hit a drive off line, and I hit a tree.. it uses that 150 yard shot and kills my averages. same thing with when I have to hit a five iron under a tree after said crappy drive, instead of the 9 or 8 iron i would normally use... but I don't really use the system for stats like I thought I would.. I use it for the online score keeping and if I play a cool course, I will have a digital record of it. Thats really the best part for me. The stats are cool, but they aren't accurate in the respect each club has multiple stats.

*8 iron full, punch and chip
*5 iron full, punch and chip
*SW full, half, chip and sand

and it doesn't really keep these stats...

That said... I think this is one of the coolest things on the planet and I have had it since the moment I could afford to say yes to my preorder.

NG

\m/ >.< \m/

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='mulliganman30' timestamp='1435522035' post='11850724']
[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1435520860' post='11850640']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think and am hoping my chip shots with clubs in yesterday's round weren't included in the average distance (although looking at your round it looks like it may have done that exact thing with your 9 iron). What I do know is that a couple of times or so when I need to hit punch shots under trees I used a hybrid and it did factor into my distance average with that club. Not sure about the lone sand shot I had yesterday.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think to do what you are suggesting Gauchograd99 that you would need a device of some kind that allow you to change "your bag tags" on the website or within an app while on the course. I'm not even sure if the IPAD app lets you do that (my IPAD is wifi only and I don't have a smart phone with a data plan). Good idea though, but that might be the only "downside".
[/quote]

I'm just going to let them (chip and punch shots) go for now. I might go in and make a "chip" and "pitch" club for the app and see if I can load them along with the normal bag or if I am limited to a legal limit of clubs.

The 9 iron for me was trying to hit a shot around a tree (high draw up around) that was just too close. Got through, but clipped a branch enough to knock it offline and short. It will get knocked out with more shots (once I finally get to play again).

This is more a personal thing than anything, but I am not really worried what "average" yardage I get for the gap or sand wedge. The data will give me a large grouping in the "full" shot range and something for around the green, so I can determine the yardages. The one thing that makes me smile is knowing that my system from before (paper and memory) was very accurate except when it comes to uphill and into the wind. I have never played well in windy conditions and usually misclub uphill... and boy did it show in that round. :)

[/quote]

also, you can turn the "swing detection" off... I you take a serious practice swing, sometimes the unit thinks you have forgotten to tag....

I leave mine on as I forget to tag usually about half the time as i went 6 months without playing golf...

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[/quote]

It took me several rounds before I finally figured this system out. I mean, it's easy out of the box but due to me not understanding how it works I was spending a lot of time building the round on my computer. I did learn to either take my scorecard home or take a photo of it if it was a tournament round. That way when tweaking the round I could refer back to the card to make sure the scores matched in the case of missed tags.

Tagging is now part of my pre-routine to the point where the one time I forgot the unit I was tagging an empty belt. And don't worry about yardages as others have pointed out, once the system has enough data it recognizes punch shots, or topped shots that only go 10 yards and doesn't include them in your stats. They'll show up on your Insights section but eventually won't affect your average yardage.

Once you get several rounds listed I think you'll like the Insights section. It has been an eye opener for me to see where my misses are on approach shots and drives. I thought I knew, but I was going on perception rather than facts. It's been helpful.

Give it some time.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

One thing I don't like is how the system treats shots on doglegs. If you hit your tee shot too long and it overruns the fairway it will be treated as a sever miss left/right.
Here is an example. Hit a perfect shot along the right side of the fairway to take off a bit of the dogleg without having to carry the bunkers on the right.
[attachment=2829146:Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 10.21.24.png]
The shot was too long thanks to some hard fairways.

However when you look at the 'Off-the-tee' stats for that round the shot is being reported as a sever miss to the left:
[attachment=2829148:Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 13.10.38.png]

While this might be technically correct, I don't think this should be reported as a miss left. What do you think?

That was a great shot, but for stats...... it wasn't in the fairway.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1435576169' post='11853804']
[/quote]

also, you can turn the "swing detection" off... I you take a serious practice swing, sometimes the unit thinks you have forgotten to tag....

I leave mine on as I forget to tag usually about half the time as i went 6 months without playing golf...
[/quote]

So turning the swing detection off will prevent the unit from picking up practice swings? If so, how exactly do you turn that off?

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1435603265' post='11856318']
[quote name='MSchad' timestamp='1435583181' post='11854190']
[/quote]

I know it wasn't a fairway but it shouldn't count as a miss left either IMHO. There probably isn't a good way to display it
[/quote]

Well, I suppose if you're concerned about your FIR stat you could drag the shot so it is on the fairway. But, the system is recording it accurately - your drive did not find the fairway.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Haven't pulled the trigger on a unit yet, but gave the app a second try today. And it still sucks for me and my Galaxy Note 2. Frozen on the 3rd tee, then froze the phone, requiring a battery pull and then Golfshot to the rescue.

A couple of questions for the regulars about the hip unit alone:

1) Can you filter stats by course, or even hole-by-hole? Two of the courses I play regularly have a few holes with severe elevation changes on the approach, like 3 clubs worth. Is there any easy way to parse this data, or exclude it from the average yardages?

2) Can you tighten that inside 15 yds approach category? That works fine for fairway woods and long irons, but for wedges, it makes more sense to have a smaller "successful" hit.

3) Is there anyway to export raw data at all?

4) Can you start a round other than on 1? On 10? Or even somewhere else, in case of shotgun?

Thanks!

1) You can filter by course but you have to select the rounds one-by-one from the list of all rounds. If you have a lot of rounds that can be tedious. No hole-by-hole filters. Both are features that should be requested.
2) Can't tighten that 15 yard approach category from a data standpoint but graphically if you click on any shot dot it tells you the distnce and creates a circle so you can see how many are inside that level of accuracy.
3) No ability to export but you can "share" via a link
4) you just turn the unit on and let the GPS sync. It should know where you are even if you don't start on #1. There is no way for you to choose a hole or even the course.

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1435608155' post='11856850']
[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1435603265' post='11856318']
[quote name='MSchad' timestamp='1435583181' post='11854190']
[/quote]

I know it wasn't a fairway but it shouldn't count as a miss left either IMHO. There probably isn't a good way to display it
[/quote]

Well, I suppose if you're concerned about your FIR stat you could drag the shot so it is on the fairway. But, the system is recording it accurately - your drive did not find the fairway.
[/quote]

That's not his point, though.

I think he's trying to say that shouldn't really count as a miss LEFT, since his shot went straight through the fairway. A miss LONG seems more appropriate.

How does Game Golf handle a hole that's straight away with rough 300 yards out before the green. If you hit the ball straight but 310, you're "straight" but also in the rough. How does GG handle that for stats? I would think hitting it through a dogleg should be similarly marked.

Ping G425 Max, 12* set to 13.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 R
Ping G425 Max 5 wood, 17.5* set to 18.5*, Tensei AV Raw Orange 75 S

Titleist 818h1 23* set to 24*, Project X Evenflow Blue S

Ping i210 4-UW, Nippon Modus 105S, Black Dot
Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 14F, 58* 12D Wedge Flex
Evnroll ER6B

Titleist Pro V1

I think someone with more knowledge of the rules of golf would be better qualified to answer this (what FIR means.) IMO, if you are not on the fairway you did not hit the fairway in regulation. If you hit the ball straight and the fairway is bent to the right, you missed it to the left no matter the flight of your ball. Now if you hit a nice power fade and hit the short grass, then you count the FIR.

As far as your hypothetical straight 310 in the rough, I'm pretty sure it would count it as a missed fairway - like a missed green long. Here are some screen shots for a hole I did something similar on. I hit into a small patch of rough short of the green on a par 4. It shows as a missed fairway on the round overview, but it shows as 6 yards right of center on the Insights off the tee. For stats it counts as a fairway missed.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-30%20at%203.05.40%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-30%20at%203.13.09%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-30%20at%203.22.57%20PM.png

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='jdl' timestamp='1435758548' post='11868480']
Re-gripped my clubs and noticed 3 or 4 tags were worn down so that there's no identifier left. Had to mark them with a pen to make sure they got put back on the correct clubs. :)
[/quote]

I've had that happen to mine too. When I switched iron sets I made sure I switched tags one at a time from old to new so I wouldn't get confused. No rounds yet this season with mine but I'm planning on logging at least 9 holes tomorrow. I'm pretty thankful they gave me extra tags so I can see how far a different driver is going or how accurate it is plus I just lost the putter tag so I'm using an extra on that.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

Re-gripped my clubs and noticed 3 or 4 tags were worn down so that there's no identifier left. Had to mark them with a pen to make sure they got put back on the correct clubs. :)
[/quote]

This would be a good thing to suggest a fix to Gamegolf. I noticed mine are getting worn also. Maybe if they were recessed rather than raised they would last longer.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

just played a round at my local course that had been under water and not really playable. it still is under, hole 3 from the back tees is a 240 yd carry over water... the issue with the course is that it is a 9 hole course that has 2 sets of tee-boxes and 2 flags/hole so you play around twice, it actually plays way different from the front to the back 9. i did not really like how game golf handled this though. it basically has holes... 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,8,9,9... you don't really get a good sense of how the round flow went unless you jump around. but i did drive the green the second time on hole 3, game golf had it at 347, wind aided low running shot that set up a 12 ft eagle put, that i missed by 3 inches for birdie though, highlight of the day for sure.

I think someone with more knowledge of the rules of golf would be better qualified to answer this (what FIR means.) IMO, if you are not on the fairway you did not hit the fairway in regulation. If you hit the ball straight and the fairway is bent to the right, you missed it to the left no matter the flight of your ball. Now if you hit a nice power fade and hit the short grass, then you count the FIR.

As far as your hypothetical straight 310 in the rough, I'm pretty sure it would count it as a missed fairway - like a missed green long. Here are some screen shots for a hole I did something similar on. I hit into a small patch of rough short of the green on a par 4. It shows as a missed fairway on the round overview, but it shows as 6 yards right of center on the Insights off the tee. For stats it counts as a fairway missed.

I hope they come up with something (e.g. Strokes gained driving) that gives more usable information than just fairway hits. Maybe they could have a buffer zone of one or two yards (your first cut) left and right of the fairway and show percentages for those as well. I would like to see which percentage of shots are really in a danger zone (outside of that buffer zone).

'Fairway stats with buffer zone (e.g. First cut)' - what do you think? http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/8681566-fairway-stats-with-buffer-zone-e-g-first-cut

I hope they come up with something (e.g. Strokes gained driving) that gives more usable information than just fairway hits. Maybe they could have a buffer zone of one or two yards (your first cut) left and right of the fairway and show percentages for those as well. I would like to see which percentage of shots are really in a danger zone (outside of that buffer zone).

'Fairway stats with buffer zone (e.g. First cut)' - what do you think? http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/8681566-fairway-stats-with-buffer-zone-e-g-first-cut

I voted for it! Also voted for

http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/7730844-comment-on-each-shot-or-at-least-each-hole

And

http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/7078352-cumulative

[quote name='pierso2' timestamp='1435776931' post='11870678']
[/quote]

I've had that happen to mine too. When I switched iron sets I made sure I switched tags one at a time from old to new so I wouldn't get confused. No rounds yet this season with mine but I'm planning on logging at least 9 holes tomorrow. I'm pretty thankful they gave me extra tags so I can see how far a different driver is going or how accurate it is plus I just lost the putter tag so I'm using an extra on that.
[/quote]

sharpie to the rescue for me too!

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to turn on my Gamegolf unit as we got called from the range early. Half way through the first hole I remembered and was able to tag my 3rd shot. It was pretty interesting when I uploaded the round. Hole #1 didn't exist so I had to add it, and hole #2 started with my last few shots of hole #1. Not too difficult to fix, but weird looking until I did.

I was thinking about starting a thread for us GG users to upload screen shots of good holes / shots (or whatever.) What do you think?

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

it would be cool.. but i imagine the mods would merge it into this thread...

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1435778046' post='11870800']
[/quote]

This would be a good thing to suggest a fix to Gamegolf. I noticed mine are getting worn also. Maybe if they were recessed rather than raised they would last longer.
[/quote]

I'm going to be listing my GG set for sale and wonder if it makes any difference - about 1/2 the tags can't be identified now - but I'm fairly sure one can assign tags manually. Just waiting confirmation from GG support, but if anyone here knows for sure, please chime in!

If no - then I'll have to write on them with a Sharpie so the future owner can figure out which tag for which club.

[i]Reason I'm giving up on GG is I suck at remembering to tag shots. It's just not something I want distracting me from my game, and the information I received when using the product was very much in line with what I already knew.[/i]