Bushnell Tour Z6 with Jolt

[quote name='winn0040' timestamp='1391614131' post='8602957']
[quote name='Aces-6' timestamp='1391606296' post='8602313']
^^ I'm going out today with my new GX-4i2 and I will report back later this evening on my findings.
[/quote]

Looking forward to hearing about it knowing that you weren't fond of the prior generation Leupold. I'm on the fence between the GX3i2/GX4i2 and the Pro X7 to replace my 1600.
[/quote]

Looking forward to it too. I'm now [b]leaning [/b]to the Leopold GX-3i2 (that I think really is the same as the 4 without slope) vs the Jolt for three reasons. (Gx3i2 now in stock at GolfTown on-line store) :
- panning mode on the same push
- customer service (I looked at a lot of posts including hunting ones)
- fog mode for wet conditions on the West Coast where I live

The two features that sets apart the Z6 Jolt are the Jolt feature and waterproof vs "weatherproof" for the Leupold. But no fog mode.

Aces- I'd particularly like to hear how the constant pan on one click worked for you for other distances while finding the flag and how the supposedly updated Pinseeker worked on finding pins , hopefully ones without the prism.
Cheers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1391538471' post='8597383']
The Z6 with Jolt is now available at GolfTown on-line and they advise me the new Leupold GX- 3i2 is expected in a couple of weeks (they could not comment on in-store stock). Price looks to be the same @ $399.

Leupold claims battery life > 6k actuations and a supposedly improved "Pinseeker 2". Plus the fog feature (that I gather helps in just plain rain too?- anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm now very undecided and will be watching with bated breath for reviews and any in-store stock. Both have 2 year warranties.

Service in Canada: GolfTown tells me they deal with warranty issues through the local GT store for the first year. I see Bushnell has a Canadian service location in Canada. I phoned Leupold in Portland and they have a $15 international returned shipment fee within the warranty period plus phone support after. If outside the warranty would offer a reasonable price for upgrade replacement. I know I read about this with Bushnell too.
There is another thread going on about the V3 vs GX3i and service and I'll copy this there too.
[/quote]

Good to hear....I think I'll be picking up a Z6 Jolt in the spring. Aluminium body sold me. I've owned Pro1m, V3 and GX 3i.....I liked the V3 the best and GX3i coming closely behind. I didn't like the big Pro1m plus I got the dredded E12 error. Although it took 6 weeks and poor communication from Bushnell CS, I received a brand new unit in the mail ( as a surprise..didn't know it was coming ). I will buy Bushnell until I have a bad CS experience. ( well, worse than before...lol )

[u][b]Bag:[/b][/u]

[i]Taylormade M1 440 9.5* Rogue Silver 125MSI TX[/i]
[i]Taylormade M1 HL Rogue Silver 80X[/i]
[i]Titleist 818 H2 21* Tour Green 85TX[/i]
[i]Titleist 716 TMB 4-W DG TI X100[/i]
[i]Vokey TVD K 54*, 60* DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M 35''[/i]

OK gentleman, I just got home from my round and here are my preliminary findings:

[b]Fit and finish: [/b]

I've always considered the Leupold lasers to be superior in build quality to their competition and this model is no different. Very well made and the ergonomics are fantastic for such a small unit.

[b]DIsplay:[/b]

The red digital read out is seemingly unchanged from the previous GX-4i model, which is a good thing. Leupold really has a winner this display.

[b]Pinhunter 2:[/b]

I would assume this is what most people will be the most interested in. The biggest complaint I had about the GX-4i was it's inability to pick up the pin. Make no mistake, the unit I had was abysmal at acquiring the flag stick. It seemed to pick up every tree on the golf course just fine but the pin was an elusive creature for the GX-4i.

So, the big question...is the Pinhunter 2 better than the original Pinhunter? In a word, yes, but not by leaps and bounds. It still wants to pickup a bunch of nonsense beyond the flag and that just irritates the crap out of me. It is better in scan mode but I don't feel as though you should have to scan every time you want to shoot the flag. I still find it to be inferior to the Bushnell Pinseeker models that I have owned (1500, 1600 and Pro 1m). Target acquisition does seem to be a bit quicker than the previous model.

[b]Summary:[/b]

I am still lukewarm with the Leupold lasers. This unit is an upgrade from the GX-4i but not enough to go out and drop close to 5 bills on. For those that like the smaller form factor, give this unit a look if you don't mind having to constantly scan. Personally, I prefer the larger sized units because they are easier for me to aim.

TSR3 10 Ventus TR Black 6

TSR2+ 14.5 Ventus TR Blue 7

TSR2 21 Tour AD DI 85

U505 4 Tour AD DI 95

T200 5-6 Steelfiber i110

T150 7-GW Steelfiber i110
Vokey SM10 54F/60M Steelfiber i110
Scotty Cameron Timeless TT Circle T

Pro V1

[quote name='Aces-6' timestamp='1391639499' post='8605837']
OK gentleman, I just got home from my round and here are my preliminary findings:

I've always considered the Leupold lasers to be superior in build quality to their competition and this model is no different. Very well made and the ergonomics are fantastic for such a small unit.

The red digital read out is seemingly unchanged from the previous GX-4i model, which is a good thing. Leupold really has a winner this display.

I would assume this is what most people will be the most interested in. The biggest complaint I had about the GX-4i was it's inability to pick up the pin. Make no mistake, the unit I had was abysmal at acquiring the flag stick. It seemed to pick up every tree on the golf course just fine but the pin was an elusive creature for the GX-4i.

So, the big question...is the Pinhunter 2 better than the original Pinhunter? In a word, yes, but not by leaps and bounds. It still wants to pickup a bunch of nonsense beyond the flag and that just irritates the crap out of me. It is better in scan mode but I don't feel as though you should have to scan every time you want to shoot the flag. I still find it to be inferior to the Bushnell Pinseeker models that I have owned (1500, 1600 and Pro 1m). Target acquisition does seem to be a bit quicker than the previous model.

I am still lukewarm with the Leupold lasers. This unit is an upgrade from the GX-4i but not enough to go out and drop close to 5 bills on. For those that like the smaller form factor, give this unit a look if you don't mind having to constantly scan. Personally, I prefer the larger sized units because they are easier for me to aim.
[/quote]

Good to know. Sounds like I might be sticking with the full size laser then too. Really like my 1600, but just in need of a change (why I'm not sure). Really like the jolt feature too so hopefully Bushnell doesn't throw another 1M dud with the Pro X7.

[quote name='winn0040' timestamp='1391665030' post='8607977']
[quote name='Aces-6' timestamp='1391639499' post='8605837']

[/quote]

Good to know. Sounds like I might be sticking with the full size laser then too. Really like my 1600, but just in need of a change (why I'm not sure). Really like the jolt feature too so hopefully Bushnell doesn't throw another 1M dud with the Pro X7.
[/quote]

I sure do hope not.. I'm really looking forward to the Pro X7 with jolt tech!

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1390486198' post='8515731']
I tried a number of rangefinders at the PGA demo day and at the convention center yesterday. They all have their pluses and minuses, but overall the new Z6 with jolt should become the next standard in rangefinders. It is fast,,very fast. Locks almost instantly and jolts. The red readout display is very clear and the distances accurate to +/- 1/10 a yard for those with that much precision. The previous version of the Z6 had it's activate button level with the top which made it difficult to depress, but the 2014 Z6 jolt has been slightly re-designed to have the button slightly above the surface and is easy to press and activate. It's supposedly water proof and has a heavier more solid feel than the V3 and other rangefinders. I wear a cadet medium glove and the new Z6 jolt fits my hand well,,is slightly larger and feels more ergonomic than the Leupold GX-3i.
Overall, for a hundred dollars more than the V3, it's a great rangefinder. I've already placed my order with Brian at Edwin Watts in Orlando. Should be in my hands,,literally in days.
[/quote]

Lionstar, wondering if you have the Jolt yet and if you have had a chance to put it through the paces on an actual round ?

Not yet" spin". Called EW and they said they should be here any day. As soon as I get my hands on mine I will report . Having already tested one for about 20 minutes at the Orange County National range, and shooting about a dozen different pins numerous times each, I can assure you it's fast, picks up the flag almost instantaneously and is very easy to see the red readout numbers. Much better than the V3 I had briefly,,which I liked but was not in the same class as the Z6 Jolt. It has the solid, commercial quality feel of the Leupold GX 3i but is faster and more accurate in locating the pin as opposed to the Leupold's tendency to pick up trees, mounds,bushes,,whatever is in the backround of the pin.

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1391904695' post='8625877']
Not yet" spin". Called EW and they said they should be here any day. As soon as I get my hands on mine I will report . Having already tested one for about 20 minutes at the Orange County National range, and shooting about a dozen different pins numerous times each, I can assure you it's fast, picks up the flag almost instantaneously and is very easy to see the red readout numbers. Much better than the V3 I had briefly,,which I liked but was not in the same class as the Z6 Jolt. It has the solid, commercial quality feel of the Leupold GX 3i but is faster and more accurate in locating the pin as opposed to the Leupold's tendency to pick up trees, mounds,bushes,,whatever is in the backround of the pin.
[/quote]

I just pulled the trigger on the Z6 Jolt with GolfTown online. A $20 off sale weekend for products over $150 with free shipping on my birthday weekend seemed to good to pass up even without a hands-on comparison. Thanks again to you and to Aces for the detailed review on GX-412.

The quick Jolt confirmation (that I had already tested on the V3 Jolt) and the "waterproof" vs for the Leupold claim of "weatherproof" gave it the nod.

Happy birthday to me. Rock on.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1391956646' post='8628667']
[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1391904695' post='8625877']
[/quote]

I just pulled the trigger on the Z6 Jolt with GolfTown online. A $20 off sale weekend for products over $150 with free shipping on my birthday weekend seemed to good to pass up even without a hands-on camparison. Thanks again to you and to Aces for the detailed review on GX-412.

The quick Jolt confirmation (that I had already tested on the V3 Jolt) and the "waterproof" vs for the Leupold claim of "weatherproof" gave it the nod.

Happy birthday to me. Rock on.
[/quote]

I love how excited you are over this purchase, your enthusiasm is catching. If I wasn't so happy with my Callaway LR 550 I would get this just because of you.

Happy birthday to you. When did Golftown say they are expect the product?

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1391957245' post='8628705']
I love how excited you are over this purchase, your enthusiasm is catching. If I wasn't so happy with my Callaway LR 550 I would get this just because of you.

Happy birthday to you. When did Golftown say they are expect the product?
[/quote]
Thanks. :taunt: I just learned I even won a big 11 bucks on the 649 last night which really was my birthday. Woohoo. (Ok, I actually broke even.)

Edit: The website says it is in stock now (the local GT is expecting stock of that and the new Leupold in a week or so roughly).

Shipping is UPS ground. No delivery date or tracking number yet but GT says 6 days shipping to my neck of the woods. So being Sunday, I'm guessing it will get shipped say Tuesday and arrive a week later. Hey, that's getting close to the time the doc says I can start taking some easy swings again, but I really won't be able to properly test on the range for a bit yet.

I received my Tour Z6 Jolt late this afternoon [ after a round ] and will hopefully, weather permitting, be able to report my first use during an on course round on Friday or Saturday.. Tested it briefly on various objects around the neighborhood such as mailboxes, streetlamps, vehicles, and it locked and displayed yardages instantly and consistently.

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1392298660' post='8658591']
Need some help here. My new Z6 Jolt manual says the eyepiece is a "fold down" design. I've looked and for the life of me cannot discern what it means. Looks and feels like a soft rubber extension of the diopter eyepiece. How do you "fold down"???
[/quote]
I think it may be just pulling it out (with a twist?) or leaving it in. Here's what I found on a Google on a telescopes site:

"[i]For those that don't wear glasses have a choice. They can fold down the eyecups or turn them in when they use them. I suspect most just pull them out all the way and use them or just leave the rubber cups out. I've done that most of the time. "[/i]

And from Critical Reviews on the 1M model "[i]The Pro 1M has an adjustable eyepiece (+/- 2 diopters) that is smooth and easy to focus. It is the only golf laser rangefinder tested that has a twist-up eyepiece, which improves the usability of the device by shielding off extraneous light while targeting objects. For those without glasses, it is best used in the fully extended position, and for those with glasses, the eyepiece should be left down to be able to see a full field of view."[/i]

Let us know. Cheers. (Mine is still showing on UPS Tracking as waiting for the product to arrive to them. Hopefully it will show actual movement today.)

Need some help here. My new Z6 Jolt manual says the eyepiece is a "fold down" design. I've looked and for the life of me cannot discern what it means. Looks and feels like a soft rubber extension of the diopter eyepiece. How do you "fold down"???
[/quote]

"Fold down" design is very common on binoculars. The soft rubber cup or extension can be folded back to shorten it. The purpose of this is for people that wear eyeglasses, allows you to get as close to the lense as people without glasses do when the eye cups are in the normal extended postion. This maintains the same field of view, if you did not do this while wearing glasses the field of view would be very small. Just try it with sunglasses on and you will know exactely what I mean.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1392309416' post='8659747']
[/quote]

"Fold down" design is very common on binoculars. The soft rubber cup or extension can be folded back to shorten it. The purpose of this is for people that wear eyeglasses, allows you to get as close to the lense as people without glasses do when the eye cups are in the normal extended postion. This maintains the same field of view, if you did not do this while wearing glasses the field of view would be very small. Just try it with sunglasses on and you will know exactely what I mean.
[/quote]
Thanks for the help. Duhhhhh,,I got it. I feel a little stupid for not figuring this out for myself,,but the "fold down" terminology had me looking for a trap door or something,,which proves golfers aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1392340957' post='8663719']
[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1392309416' post='8659747']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks for the help. Duhhhhh,,I got it. I feel a little stupid for not figuring this out for myself,,but the "fold down" terminology had me looking for a trap door or something,,which proves golfers aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.
[/quote]

No, it just shows we have bigger picture stuff in our heads than what a dumb fold down means, or having to ask our wife to figure where the cut to reseal place is on a frozen veggies package. Not that I have ever done that.

I now have 5 rounds at 4 different courses with the Z6 Jolt. It is everything I had hoped for. Fast,fast,fast,,,did I say fast? The display is very clear and the Jolt gives a kind of subconscious confidence that is hard to describe. My best golfing friend has the Leupold GX 3i but is always asking to use my Bushnell. He comments how easily and fast it locks onto the pin. I played a course without prisms in the flagstick and a few times getting a lock was problematic. But even then, all I did was shoot the actual flag itself instead of the stick and eureka,,locked. Great, sturdy rangefinder. I highly recommend it.

You must have very steady hands!! I want to buy this so bad, but every time I have tried my friends rangefinder (not the volt), I only hit the target one out of 3 times... very frustrating. I have so wanted to buy this unit, but heck, none of us can hit "the exact target" all the time so a number within 3 yards is good enough for me... going GPS watch after reading this. Thanks!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1393030732' post='8719044']
I now have 5 rounds at 4 different courses with the Z6 Jolt. It is everything I had hoped for. Fast,fast,fast,,,did I say fast? The display is very clear and the Jolt gives a kind of subconscious confidence that is hard to describe. My best golfing friend has the Leupold GX 3i but is always asking to use my Bushnell. He comments how easily and fast it locks onto the pin. I played a course without prisms in the flagstick and a few times getting a lock was problematic. But even then, all I did was shoot the actual flag itself instead of the stick and eureka,,locked. Great, sturdy rangefinder. I highly recommend it.
[/quote]
Mine arrived the other day. Just some quick tests from my balcony to signs, telephone poles, rocks on the ground etc. (similar what I did with the Tour V3 Jolt for the test before I returned it).
Both were fast, the Z6 Jolt was faster IMO.

To 10of14:
I wasn't too steady that day, ( I'm actually having a bit of vertigo the past week or so, hopefully just plugged sinuses), but I got a fast lock on with the Jolt confirmation. One tip I've read is to hold your thumb against your nose to steady it. Anyway, I know it's twice the cost of a watch perhaps, but I thought I'd pass it along. I still plan on taking my GPS with me. If considering a watch, you might check out some threads on the new Neo XS on here, if you haven't already.

I have been debating about picking up either a new Z6 with Jolt vs a Leupold GX-3i2, I finally decided on the Jolt. Leupold seems to have better optics, but Bushnell seems to have better technology. I am replacing an older Bushnell Elite 1500 that just won't give up even while throwing it around and generally abusing it. It still works fine, but I'm just ready to try something with a little smaller form factor.

Thanks to those who helped me finally make a decision today.

[quote name='2zlinks' timestamp='1393300794' post='8739394']
Initial impressions after receiving mine today. Very fast and I really like the jolt tech. A little concerned because when I focused on objects the display was fuzzy and vice versa. Hoping it was due to it almost being dark. Anyone else have the experience?
[/quote]
When in near dark conditions you need to adjust the brightness function. B4 which is the highest level will not work well in poor light but B1 or B2 should be fine. You may also need to adjust your eyepiece ( diopter) for proper focus for your eye. Hope this helps.

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1393413385' post='8747950']
[quote name='2zlinks' timestamp='1393300794' post='8739394']
Initial impressions after receiving mine today. Very fast and I really like the jolt tech. A little concerned because when I focused on objects the display was fuzzy and vice versa. Hoping it was due to it almost being dark. Anyone else have the experience?
[/quote]
When in near dark conditions you need to adjust the brightness function. B4 which is the highest level will not work well in poor light but B1 or B2 should be fine. You may also need to adjust your eyepiece ( diopter) for proper focus for your eye. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks Lion. It was due to the time of day I was using it because the next afternoon I tried it and it was great. I didn't even realize that button on the side was for set up, just thought it was cosmetic. Ignorance is bliss.

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1393473463' post='8755110']
You are not in the minority. We of the male end of the spectrum don't enjoy reading instructions,,especially when it's an electronic gadget.
[/quote]
Instructions? There are instructions? Just kidding.

I've learned that for me for major purchases that I expect to keep for a while to best download the specs (aka "promises") and any on-line manuals and bookmarks to my computer while the info is still on the company website. Better chance for me to find it later on the computer if needed than a tiny pamphlet that I got with the shiny new gizmo, maybe ignored completely if the gizmo worked out of the box, and then put somewhere.

Specs for last year's models often get dumped from the website as new ones come out. Bookmarked html links often work years later even if not visible from the website. Good to have for future resale also.

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1394078407' post='8808913']
Anyone else loving their Tour Z6 Jolt? Mine has truly made the game more fun and given me more confidence.
[/quote]

With 2 ft of snow on the ground really makes it tough but I know to the tenth of a yard the distance to my mailbox lol. I really like the VDT and the Jolt feature is a very nice addition from my 1500. Would definitely recommend.