Does Taylor Made tip their shafts?

1235»
5

Comments

  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  24849WRX Points: 1,502Posts: 24,849 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited May 16, 2019 #122

    On -, @Z1ggy16 said:

    Wow that far back? Luckily for me I almost never A) order new and B) use stock options, so it doesn't affect me too much.

    Ever since the advent of the adjustable hosels, I generally tend to buy the heads and shafts separately (or just continued to use the old shaft in the new head). So for me it just means staying away from shafts that came out of the TM factory and considering there are plenty of other sources - it hasn't effected me that much. Only got burned once about 5 years ago.

    I think I've read on here Titleist used to do this... Cobra/Cally/Ping don't standard tip do they? I actually wouldn't be surprised if Ping did now, because the G400 and also G410 are fairly heavy heads compared to Flash, M and F9.

    Titleist is the only other OEM I've known to add some tipping to the driver (and they started doing it first - before TM). But at least they only added 1/2" of tipping (instead of the full 1" TM uses) and had a somewhat valid reason for doing it. They wanted the shafts in the "new" (910) std bore heads to more closely match the way they used to perform in the previous bore through heads. People assumed it had to do with the adapter - when really it was the change of bore type. Originally they did it with all aftermarket shafts (but not the OEM stock shafts). Over time they've reduced that to only some shafts. Not sure how that lists looks lately, I haven't really been paying attention since the 915's release. The Team Titleist forum is usually a pretty good source for that info.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9321WRX Points: 1,475Posts: 9,321 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #123

    Good info as always Stu, thanks. Just something good to have in mind in case I ever did end up in a stock shaft from TM (incredibly unlikely though).

    Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B 70
    TBD
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS



  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2701WRX Points: 327Posts: 2,701 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #124

    I was telling my dad about this, he got fit for an M5 Driver with a HZRDUS Smoke 70 S. He is 68 and a 260-280 yard driver with his current EPIC and 55g HZRDUS thing shaft.
    His opinion was that he was fit using shafts from the fitting cart so there for what worked there is what he is getting from TM.

    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  24849WRX Points: 1,502Posts: 24,849 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #125

    On -, @scott_Donald said:

    I was telling my dad about this, he got fit for an M5 Driver with a HZRDUS Smoke 70 S. He is 68 and a 260-280 yard driver with his current EPIC and 55g HZRDUS thing shaft.
    His opinion was that he was fit using shafts from the fitting cart so there for what worked there is what he is getting from TM.

    One would certainly hope that to be the case, but there have been enough mixed results from numerous sources concerning experiences with the fitting cart shafts to make it at least questionable.

    Posted:
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers  2701WRX Points: 327Posts: 2,701 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #126

    On -, @Stuart_G said:

    On -, @scott_Donald said:

    I was telling my dad about this, he got fit for an M5 Driver with a HZRDUS Smoke 70 S. He is 68 and a 260-280 yard driver with his current EPIC and 55g HZRDUS thing shaft.
    His opinion was that he was fit using shafts from the fitting cart so there for what worked there is what he is getting from TM.

    One would certainly hope that to be the case, but there have been enough mixed results from numerous sources concerning experiences with the fitting cart shafts to make it at least questionable.

    It arrives today or tomorrow, so will find out when I play with him Saturday! having said that he may never know.

    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  24849WRX Points: 1,502Posts: 24,849 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited May 16, 2019 #127

    On -, @scott_Donald said:

    It arrives today or tomorrow, so will find out when I play with him Saturday! having said that he may never know.

    Well, definitely don't tell him - what he doesn't know certainly may not hurt him :-)

    Posted:
5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.