Maybe - Titleist is the Most Misplayed Ball in Golf ???

mlamarmlamar Posts: 830 ✭✭
edited Mar 31, 2008 in Golf Balls #1
per Bridgestone in GolfWorld Magazine 03/21/08
courtesy of GolfWorld Mag ... March 21, 2008 Issue:

advertisement

"Titleist Can Talk Spin, But They Cant' Spin The Facts."

"The Bridgestone Ball Fittling Challenge has the industry talking. After fitting thousands of golfers,

the results have been impressive - 70% of golfers tested gained an average of 13 yards in driving

distance. Hitting approach shots with a 7-iron, instead of of a 5 or 6-iron, has created better scoring

opportunities, and new Bridgestone believers. Does this have Titleist ® worried? Their recent ads

tout spin over distance as the key to scoring. Fine, until you read Golf Magazine's recent test results:

Bridgestone's B330-S goes 6 yards farther than the Pro-V1 ® with similar spin. Maybe the most

played ball in golf is the most misplayed ball in golf?"

.... sounds like mudslinging to me in the corporate world of Marketing ...

Comments

• withdrewwithdrew Unregistered Posts: 2,107
    image/aikido.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

You know what? It only means better and cheaper golf balls for us. Competition is GOOD!
  • Bite BiteBite Bite ~The Voice of Reason~ Members Posts: 504
    No big deal. Anyone can say anything about their product and get away with it. That's not going to have much of, if any, effect on the Titleist die hards. Even if the test and allegations are true than you still won't see much of a conversion because people will play what they are comfortable with and with the number one ball on tour.
  • SadTromboneSadTrombone . Members Posts: 6,781 ✭✭
    withdrew wrote on Mar 31 2008, 03:09 PM:

You know what? It only means better and cheaper golf balls for us. Competition is GOOD!

Have you looked at the price of a dozen balls lately?

Nike One $42.95

Titleist Pro V1 $44.95

If that's cheaper (I used to get Titleist Professsionals - more expensive to produce - for $35.99) I'm going to quit.

-mini
  • withdrewwithdrew Unregistered Posts: 2,107
    minitour wrote on Mar 31 2008, 03:38 PM:

Nike One $42.95

Titleist Pro V1 $44.95

If that's cheaper (I used to get Titleist Professsionals - more expensive to produce - for $35.99) I'm going to quit.

-mini

There are plenty of reasonably priced golf-balls that perform well.

If there was only one premium golf ball, perhaps that price would be even higher, because there would be no competition?
  • PurePursuit PurePursuit Members Posts: 2,237
    Most other high end balls are 40 bucks a dozen...5 bucks cheaper than the Titleists..
  • themouth1themouth1 Members Posts: 1,255
    I am not sure about the 330S and the Pro V1 but between the B330 and the Pro V1X, the Titleist is quite a bit longer off the driver. I wish it was vice versa. I like the feel of the B330 much better than the Pro V1X...
  • avg_josephavg_joseph Posts: 486 ✭✭
    edited Mar 31, 2008 #8
    minitour wrote on Mar 31 2008, 03:38 PM:

Nike One $42.95

Titleist Pro V1 $44.95

-mini

image/huh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> Dude, that was almost 10 years ago.... inflation.... $35.99*(1.02^10)=$43.87.. about right if you ask me.....
  • Seim1978Seim1978 MNScratchGolfer Members Posts: 42
    I don't know about any of you guys, but I'm a die hard ProV1 fan and have been for some time. But, the 45.99 price tag this year (last year they were 39.99 in MN) now has me shopping for something similar for less, even if I do only save 6 bucks a dozen. I'm going to evaluate the Bridgestone this spring. I highly doubt Titleist will change the price, but if they did....they wouldn't risk losing die hards like me.
  • Pinehurst1999Pinehurst1999 Members Posts: 2,173
    Bridgestone is the most under rated brand in golf right now.
  • rl4673rl4673 Members Posts: 512
    I couldn't agree more. I have been a looong time Pro-V1x player and I have discovered nearly the same ball at half the price.. It's the Bridgestone e5+.
  • Seim1978Seim1978 MNScratchGolfer Members Posts: 42
    e5+, seriously? Never heard of it
  • kitsoasiskitsoasis fried chicken Members Posts: 3,859
    i don't know much about bridgestone v titleist

but i sure know that the ProVs fame is been misused

the number of times you see a salespeople sell ProVs to people who are clearly not suited to the ball...
  • Pinehurst1999Pinehurst1999 Members Posts: 2,173
    kitsoasis wrote on Mar 31 2008, 08:22 PM:
    i don't know much about bridgestone v titleist

but i sure know that the ProVs fame is been misused

the number of times you see a salespeople sell ProVs to people who are clearly not suited to the ball...

You mean like 95+% of golfers?
  • texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,476 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 31, 2008 #15
    I left the Titleist stable about a year ago for the Bridgestone B330-S on the recommendation of a buddy who owns a shop locally.

I was very happy for that year, paying $5 - $6 less for the B330-S than the Pro V1's.

Last weekend, I ended up with a sleeve of Pro V1's, and decided to play them.

As satisfied as I was with the Bridgestone, the click of the Titleist brought back memories, and I bought a dozen last week.

Played the Pro V1's Saturday in a tournament, and shot the best score I had shot in almost a year. My short game was better, I was as long or longer off the tee, and I had that unmistakable feel back.

It doesn't hurt that I usually only play one sleeve a round (and sometimes only two of the balls), so I can justify it as costing about $1 more per round. ($5 dollars more per dozen divided by four sleeves equals $1.25).

Like they say...."I'm not sayin'..... I'm just sayin'."
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff <br/> Titleist TS3 16.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff <br/> Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron Project X PXi 6.0<br/> Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0<br/>Titleist 718 AP2 5 - 9 irons AMT Tour White S-300 <br/> Titleist Vokey SM7 48-10 <br/> Titleist Vokey SM7 52-08<br/> Titleist Vokey SM7 56-10 <br/> Titleist Vokey SM7 60-12 <br/> Odyssey O-works 2 Ball Red <br/> Titleist Pro V1X <br/> <br/> Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff <br/> Titleist 718 AP2 4 iron and pitching wedge <br/> Taylormade R7 425 TP <br/> Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood <br/> Scotty Cameron Select Newport <br/> Ping Anser 35 inch <br/> Cleveland Designed By blade putter (2) <br/> <br/>GO VOLS!!
  • mayesmayes Posts: 330
    I've played the Bridgestone B-330 and the S. Both Nike's, Taylormade's, Callaway's. I tried to hard to get away from the Titleist ball. But I can't. It is a better product in my opinion.

It is worth the extra $3.00 a dozen. You can get more than that back if you like to place bets.
  • EscueletoEscueleto Members Posts: 37
    I have tried tried to find a cheaper replacement for the pro v 1 x I tried the bridgestone both 330 and 330 s the taylor made srixon you name it I have tried it the closest I have come is Nike platnium the 07 model. It compares in distance to the pro v1x the pro v x is stilll the longest ball out there that you can spin.... the one advantage that i have found with the 07 platnium is the ball doesnt spin so much that you have to throw the ball past the pin and bring it back.... most of the time it hops and stops pretty near the ball mark. I dont have to worry about too much spin. I cant play the pro v 1 due to the excessive spin. Still to me the PRO V 1 x is hands down the top ball out there if only they would drop the price.........
  • themouth1themouth1 Members Posts: 1,255
    jow wrote on Mar 31 2008, 05&#58;33 PM:
    I have tried tried to find a cheaper replacement for the pro v 1 x I tried the bridgestone both 330 and 330 s the taylor made srixon you name it I have tried it the closest I have come is Nike platnium the 07 model. It compares in distance to the pro v1x the pro v x is stilll the longest ball out there that you can spin.... the one advantage that i have found with the 07 platnium is the ball doesnt spin so much that you have to throw the ball past the pin and bring it back.... most of the time it hops and stops pretty near the ball mark. I dont have to worry about too much spin. I cant play the pro v 1 due to the excessive spin. Still to me the PRO V 1 x is hands down the top ball out there if only they would drop the price.........

You know it's funny. I spin the Pro V1X more than the Pro V1 off the irons and wedges. The Pro V1 flies lower for me...It's like it does the opposite I would think on everything except the driver. It just flies off of that...
  • StaffBagStaffBag Titleist is... and always will be... #1 Members Posts: 642 ✭✭
    The B330 and B330-s are good balls.

The ProV1 is better, but if I wasn't on staff and had to play any other ball than a Titleist, I would play the Bridgestone B330-s!!! I found them to be almost IDENTICAL in performance.... at least for me!

...But I'm on Titleist Staff (club pro) and know where my loyalties lie!

ProV1 to the CORE!!!
  • minitour wrote on Mar 31 2008, 07&#58;38 PM:
    withdrew wrote on Mar 31 2008, 03&#58;09 PM:

Nike One $42.95

Titleist Pro V1 $44.95

-mini

You are telling me that the regular price in the US is about $45?

Lucky you! It is €62,-- in Germany (= US$ 98,--)

image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
  • Damo75Damo75 Members Posts: 711
    TigerEarl wrote on Apr 1 2008, 03&#58;49 PM:
    minitour wrote on Mar 31 2008, 07&#58;38 PM:

Nike One $42.95

Titleist Pro V1 $44.95

-mini

You are telling me that the regular price in the US is about $45?

Lucky you! It is €62,-- in Germany (= US$ 98,--)

image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

Yep, about $AUD9/ball and $AUD80/dozen for ProV1/V1x here in Australia.

When you can get Srixon Z-URS/Z-URC, Bridgestone B330/B330s and TaylorMade TP Red/Black for $45-$50 dozen on sale, it makes it hard to buy the Titleists (which NEVER go on sale)...
    Titleist TS3 Even Flow 75X
    Taylor Made M2 Tour 3HL Kuro Kage
    Titleist 718 TMB 3-5 Project X PXi 6.0
    Adams A4 Tour 6-W DG X100
    Cleveland RTX 2 52, 56
    Brodgestone Prototype 60
    Taylor Made Spider Tour Red
  • scottyallanbscottyallanb Berkley High School Golf Coach Members Posts: 1,735
    edited Apr 1, 2008 #22
    Hey guys Morton Golf had B330s's for $24.99 a dozen. IF you fill out 10 reviews they give you $10 credit. So basically free shipping. Great deal on a great ball!!

Scotty B
  • ShaitanShaitan Jr. Boomers Posts: 2,056
    yeah my store i oz is having a sale atm - TM TP's down to $49. Pro v's at a low price of $73 lol. The same price as wat the B330s are at normal price. HX Tour's are at $50 and i think the bstone's are 60ish...something like that
  • tylerlamtylerlam Members Posts: 30
    hey guys, this maybe your last year of seeing the prov1. Looks like callaway is stopping acushnet from producing it anymore!
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,802 ✭✭
    tylerlam wrote on Apr 1 2008, 04&#58;58 AM:
    hey guys, this maybe your last year of seeing the prov1. Looks like callaway is stopping acushnet from producing it anymore!

Not hardly. You may see a newly named Tour ball next year but it's not going away. The patents Cally is suing about were deemed invalid and no final ruling has been reached yet.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • YardbeatlesYardbeatles Posts: 133 ✭✭
    minitour wrote on Mar 31 2008, 12&#58;38 PM:

Nike One $42.95

Titleist Pro V1 $44.95

-mini

Not sure where your getting the Nike Ones but i got the 2008 (Red Circle on box and red arrows on the ball) Nike One Black at Sports chalet the other day for $39.99.

This ball is as good or better than the Pro V1X in almost every way this year. Last year i liked the One+Balck and then switched back to the V1X for better feel and spin. But i'm backt to the One Black again this year because it's surpassed the V1X again and is $5 cheaper a dozen. The Platinum and V1 still spin too much off the driver for me.
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members Posts: 7,291 ✭✭
    edited Apr 1, 2008 #27
    I play the ProV1 practice balls. They run about $25-$30dz. I don't play in many USGA events, but if I do, I will get some normal ProV's. I don't care if it says practice on it, it's the same ball. Won't play the x-outs though, but they are $20/dz around here.

Not to mention that I find so many proV1's I buy about 3 dozen a year at the most. I mean, there must be some serious hacks out there that play ProV1's all the time, because I find them laying around everywhere.
    NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue Aldila The Phene'd 60TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 14.5° w/ p9003X
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter
  • jickjick Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭
    Titleist has never made any performance claims in its ball ad campaigns. They just keep on harking being the number on ball in golf. No independent testing or disclaiming their rivals' claims. That's just something worth noting. Perhaps in actual testing, the numbers (spin, distance) support their rivals, but more people play Titleist out of habit and not because they actually stopped by to extensively test the alternatives available.
  • seriousperformanceseriousperformance Members Posts: 264
    Seim1978 wrote on Mar 31 2008, 07&#58;41 PM:
    I don't know about any of you guys, but I'm a die hard ProV1 fan and have been for some time. But, the 45.99 price tag this year (last year they were 39.99 in MN) now has me shopping for something similar for less, even if I do only save 6 bucks a dozen. I'm going to evaluate the Bridgestone this spring. I highly doubt Titleist will change the price, but if they did....they wouldn't risk losing die hards like me.

image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> Someone has to pay for them getting caught infringing on everyone's patends and it sure isn't going to be Titleist.
  • rl4673rl4673 Members Posts: 512
    Seim1978 wrote on Mar 31 2008, 09&#58;17 PM:
    e5+, seriously? Never heard of it

You've got to be joking... image/black eye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
  • frozen_ropefrozen_rope Banned Posts: 1,987
    The problem with the Bridgestone 330 is that it's inconsistent.

Yes that ball has a soft sound (good) and sometimes carries a long way. The problem is that it's unpredicatable when the ball will carry extra far. Titleist Pro V may not carry as far or sound as soft as a B330, but Titleist is absolutely predictable in its carry distances.

The B330 is like the low compression balls, nice sound but inconsistent distance carries.

mlamar wrote on Mar 31 2008, 01&#58;54 PM:
    courtesy of GolfWorld Mag ... March 21, 2008 Issue:

advertisement

"Titleist Can Talk Spin, But They Cant' Spin The Facts."

"The Bridgestone Ball Fittling Challenge has the industry talking. After fitting thousands of golfers,

the results have been impressive - 70% of golfers tested gained an average of 13 yards in driving

distance. Hitting approach shots with a 7-iron, instead of of a 5 or 6-iron, has created better scoring

opportunities, and new Bridgestone believers. Does this have Titleist ® worried? Their recent ads

tout spin over distance as the key to scoring. Fine, until you read Golf Magazine's recent test results:

Bridgestone's B330-S goes 6 yards farther than the Pro-V1 ® with similar spin. Maybe the most

played ball in golf is the most misplayed ball in golf?"

.... sounds like mudslinging to me in the corporate world of Marketing ...