Struggling with pitching

When I'm greenside chipping I'm good because I can see my landing spot & outside of 50 yards I'm good because I have yardages for my wedges.

It's just the feely ones that you can see a landing spot for I'm struggling, like I said especially to back flags.

How do people approach them? I had a bit of success tonight practicing using a PW over my 52 degree, gives me more consistent results in terms of judging spin/roll

Comments

• jslane57jslane57 Members Posts: 3,929 ✭✭
    Visualization and imagination. Imagine you see the landing spot...
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,594 ✭✭
    On the other side of the coin are those of us that do not see a landing spot. I have never done that even though I've tried. I see where the flag is and I hit the ball to the hole not a spot. I can imagine the effort it takes to "throw" the ball the distance to the hole. Just like throwing a base ball to a guy standing there.

I practiced these pitches for hours and hours until I had a natural technique to do it. I started with a less lofted club, as low as an 8 iron and worked my way to a 52 and now even a 56 to accomplish the shot. I found that I could not produce a mechanical swing. I had to find what to me was a natural way of pitching the ball to the hole where I only needed to think about the distance, not the swing.

Is it natural for you to pick a spot? or would it be more natural to pitch the ball to the hole?
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,850 ✭✭
    Under 50 yards and using pitching wedge? Imagining myself doing that I would be getting a pretty low flight (basically chipping it) if I wanted the ball to stop before I ran out of space. It isn't that this is necessarily bad (assuming I have things right), but you might want to experiment with a little more hang time in the air vs. running it out too much.
    Mizuno St-180 9.5
    Mizuno JPX 900 15
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-Gw
    (Wedges TBD)
    (Putter TBD)
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭
    A lob wedge and a lot of practice. The landing spot pretty much becomes right beside the hole most of the time.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • lewisbeardwelllewisbeardwell Posts: 103 ✭✭

Under 50 yards and using pitching wedge? Imagining myself doing that I would be getting a pretty low flight (basically chipping it) if I wanted the ball to stop before I ran out of space. It isn't that this is necessarily bad (assuming I have things right), but you might want to experiment with a little more hang time in the air vs. running it out too much.

I'm talking where you are maybe 10 yards short of a green to a back flag with of green lots to work with

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file