Wilson Persimmon

These are for sale locally and claim to be new old stock. Any idea of a value on these?

Comments

• CyFan CyFan If I could putt, I could play this game... Members Posts: 627 ✭✭
    No idea on value, but they are a very nice looking set of woods. However, they look to be laminated maple rather than persimmon.
    Titleist 917D3 10.5 RIP Phenom 60 S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 Diamana S+ 70 S
    Titleist 816H1 19 Rogue MAX S
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 DG
    Cleveland HB SOFT 11
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    Agree - laminated, store line clubs.

What is the asking price?
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • sandtrapsandtrap Members Posts: 823 ✭✭
    They used to come packaged as a set and cost less than a used car:)
  • deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 485 ✭✭
    edited Jan 6, 2019 9:56pm #5
    Really cool set there. Going by the insert they look to be 1961 Wilson Staff Model woods. If I saw those locally I’d pay $100-$150. Maybe they are worth more. Looks like they came in both persimmon and Strata-bloc.
    WITB
    Macgregor M09 driver
    Macgregor M85 Super Eye-O-Matic 3&4 woods
    Cleveland Classic TC15 5-wood
    KZG Forged Cavity 4-PW
    Ben Hogan TK15 51* 
    Ben Hogan Special Sand Iron
    Ping bronze Anser
  • gdangdan Members Posts: 178 ✭✭
    augustgolf wrote:
    Agree - laminated, store line clubs.

What is the asking price?

They’re asking $100 for them.
  • baloobaloo A Person Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭
    I wonder why the insert on the 2 wood is a different color?
    Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
    2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
    SW - Wilson Staff
    Putter - Bullseye
    Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf
  • rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,987 ClubWRX
    gdan-

1961 Laminated Wilson Staffs- Strata Blocs that are almost 60 years old.

Persimmon Wilson Staffs- After 1948, Wilson Persimmons were RH Only, and continued with the Wilson Staff Tour Block Persimmon wood models in the '80s.

Any custom numbers anywhere on the soleplates?
  • gdangdan Members Posts: 178 ✭✭
    rex235 wrote:
    gdan-

1961 Laminated Wilson Staffs- Strata Blocs that are almost 60 years old.

Persimmon Wilson Staffs- After 1948, Wilson Persimmons were RH Only, and continued with the Wilson Staff Tour Block Persimmon wood models in the '80s.

Any custom numbers anywhere on the soleplates?

Asked for more pics and received word that these have been sold.
  • TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 2:02pm #10
    Speaking of Wilson persimmon vs Wilson laminated woods - I have Wilson persimmons played by Tour players Tom Kite and George Burns - but more interestingly, a laminated Wilson driver, bought from Mr Sam Snead's son, with a letter verifying that Sam played it on Tour.

Sam was the face of Wilson for decades and including the time when Wilson developed their laminated woods, and certainly tested everything they produced.

Sam's Model 11 laminated driver has a old Dynamic X shaft and a cord grip.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
    Tex-

Would be nice to see a few photos...
    rec235

I post all over the internet but for some reason WRX requires the smallest sized files to post. Pics straight out of iPhone rejected when I tried.

Possibly my max has been reached and will have to delete past pics - but right now it irritates me.

Texsport
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    The Cure CX2 putter
    Tex-

Don't worry about it. Understand completely Thanks for the updated message.

Posted the 1948 LH Wilson Sam Snead Signature Persimmon Driver. in a related thread.

Don't believe Wilson offered any LH persimmon woods after that year- 70 years ago.

Here is the 1938 LH Wilson Willie Hoare Driver.

• mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,753 ✭✭
    gdan wrote:

These are for sale locally and claim to be new old stock. Any idea of a value on these?

need to see the top of head and sole, should say Wilson Staff if pro line. For a LONG time WS woods were laminated, one of the last to go back to persimmon in the late 70s or 80s when persimmon once again became VERY popular.
    Texsport wrote:

Speaking of Wilson persimmon vs Wilson laminated woods - I have Wilson persimmons played by Tour players Tom Kite and George Burns - but more interestingly, a laminated Wilson driver, bought from Mr Sam Snead's son, with a letter verifying that Sam played it on Tour.

Sam was the face of Wilson for decades and including the time when Wilson developed their laminated woods, and certainly tested everything they produced.

Sam's Model 11 laminated driver has a old Dynamic X shaft and a cord grip.

luv to see it. I'm confused as to what he played on tour, but since his career was SO long, I can see combo of Macgregor (disguised with Wilson soleplate) and Wilson, and maybe Izett as well?
    edited Jan 8, 2019 1:59pm #16
    Sam won most of his majors with an Izett.

After it broke he never found it’s equal, switching back and forth. He is said to have carried test samples of Wilson drivers in the trunk of his car, sometimes giving them to friends.

The club I have looks like an early 1960s Staff Model 11 with full red cycolac insert, but has a signature Sam Snead decal, instead of the usual Wilson decal, on the crown. Sam Snead’s name was normally used on the Blue Ridge model but not on the Staff clubs.

My club has an old Dynamic X shaft and a full cord grip.

It’s unfortunate that the Wilson archives are no longer available, as the club has a stamped identification number in a recess in the sole plate.

The number has several digits and is unlike simpler numbers I’ve seen on other Tour player’s Wilson drivers - like R -0, which I think might just indicate right hand sole plate #0.

Texsport
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    The Cure CX2 putter
    Texsport wrote:

Sam won most of his majors with an Izett.

After it broke he never found it's equal, switching back and forth. He is said to have carried test samples of Wilson drivers in the trunk of his car, sometimes giving them to friends.

The club I have looks like an early 1960s Staff Model 11 with full red cycolac insert, but has a signature Sam Snead decal, instead of the usual Wilson decal, on the crown. Sam Snead's name was normally used on the Blue Ridge model but not on the Staff clubs.

My club has an old Dynamic X shaft and a full cord grip.

It's unfortunate that the Wilson archives are no longer available, as the club has a stamped identification number in a recess in the sole plate.

The number has several digits and is unlike simpler numbers I've seen on other Tour player's Wilson drivers - like R -0, which I think might just indicate right hand sole plate #0.

Texsport

As always thanks Tex, you and Charley are the best contributors here !!!