8.1a/6 – Altering Surface of Ground to Build Stance Is Not Permitted

 baller4opca ·  
baller4opcaballer4opca  211WRX Points: 53Handicap: 13Members Posts: 211 Fairways
Joined:  in Rules of Golf and Etiquette #1
Based on how I read the below and interpret the rule, I am not allowed to kick tiny pebbles or tiny dirt mounds with my feet to build a stance prior to my stroke. So on the picture here (best i could find to illustrate my point), I can't kick these tiny rocks aside as it will be where I will build my stance and it will not interfere with the actual stroke. Is my interpretation correct or incorrect? I myself have been guilty of this as well as many golfers that I have seen and played with. Thanks.







small-stones-in-garden.jpg

8.1a/6 – Altering Surface of Ground to Build Stance Is Not Permitted



A player is allowed to place his or her feet firmly in taking a stance, but is in breach of Rule 8.1a if he or she alters the ground where the stance will be taken if altering the ground improves the area of intended stance.


Examples of altering the ground that are likely to improve conditions affecting the stroke include:


A player is in breach of Rule 8.1a as soon as he or she has improved conditions by altering ground conditions to build a stance and cannot avoid a penalty by attempting to restore the ground conditions to their original state.


The restriction on altering the ground (Rule 8.1a(3)) does not include removing loose impediments or movable obstructions from the area of intended stance, such as removing large amounts of pine needles or leaves from where a player will stand to play the ball.
Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • QEightQEight Finland 3521WRX Points: 189Handicap: 11,0Members Posts: 3,521 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2
    You can move Loose Impediments:





    Any unattached natural object such as:
    • Stones, loose grass, leaves, branches and sticks,
    • Dead animals and animal waste,
    • Worms, insects and similar animals that can be removed easily, and the mounds or webs they build (such as worm casts and ant hills), and
    • Clumps of compacted soil (including aeration plugs).


    Such natural objects are not loose if they are:
    • Attached or growing,
    • Solidly embedded in the ground (that is, cannot be picked out easily), or
    • Sticking to the ball.


    Special cases:
    • Sand and Loose Soil are not loose impediments.
    • Dew, Frost and Water are not loose impediments.
    • Snow and Natural Ice (other than frost) are either loose impedimentsor, when on the ground, temporary water, at the player's option.
    • Spider Webs are loose impediments even though they are attached to another object.
    Posted:
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • NewbyNewby  7619WRX Points: 594Members Posts: 7,619 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #3


    Based on how I read the below and interpret the rule, I am not allowed to kick tiny pebbles or tiny dirt mounds with my feet to build a stance prior to my stroke. So on the picture here (best i could find to illustrate my point), I can't kick these tiny rocks aside as it will be where I will build my stance and it will not interfere with the actual stroke. Is my interpretation correct or incorrect? I myself have been guilty of this as well as many golfers that I have seen and played with. Thanks.







    small-stones-in-garden.jpg






    Q8's reply shows you can move everything in the picture
    Posted:
  • antipantip  1026WRX Points: 331Members Posts: 1,026 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #4
    Are you feeling a need to kick rocks aside? In my experience that is risky. You can take that stuff out of the way, you just can't bring stuff in. I suggest that simple approaches to these issues will ensure you will not have any problem with this rule.
    Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5
    While you may or may not like the results of kicking loose impediments aside, 15.1a allows the practice:



    a. Removal of Loose Impediment

    Without penalty, a player may remove a loose impediment anywhere on or off the course, and may do so in any way (such as by using a hand or foot or a club or other equipment).



    Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4757WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,757 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6
    Kicking loose impediments aside may be risky, as antip suggested. Removing LIs without messing up the rest of the ground is just fine. I believe there may be a difference between kicking and removing.
    Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #7
    Mr. Bean wrote:


    Kicking loose impediments aside may be risky, as antip suggested. Removing LIs without messing up the rest of the ground is just fine. I believe there may be a difference between kicking and removing.
    No doubt there is a difference between kicking and other means of removal. But "may do so in any way" includes kicking. Not my recommendation, we all agree on that. But kicking was part of the OP's question.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4757WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,757 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8
    Sawgrass wrote:

    Mr. Bean wrote:


    Kicking loose impediments aside may be risky, as antip suggested. Removing LIs without messing up the rest of the ground is just fine. I believe there may be a difference between kicking and removing.
    No doubt there is a difference between kicking and other means of removal. But "may do so in any way" includes kicking. Not my recommendation, we all agree on that. But kicking was part of the OP's question.




    All the rules geeks surely get a kick out of that!
    Posted:
  • KMeloneyKMeloney  4992WRX Points: 296Handicap:[email protected] 7Members Posts: 4,992 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #9
    Newby wrote:


    Q8's reply shows you can move everything in the picture




    Heck, the last sentence of the OP's own post shows that he can move everything in the picture.
    Posted:
  • QEightQEight Finland 3521WRX Points: 189Handicap: 11,0Members Posts: 3,521 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #10
    KMeloney wrote:

    Newby wrote:


    Q8's reply shows you can move everything in the picture




    Heck, the last sentence of the OP's own post shows that he can move everything in the picture.




    True, but sometimes your own thoughts get in the way. Now at least it is clear what loose inpediment is and what not.
    Posted:
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
  • antipantip  1026WRX Points: 331Members Posts: 1,026 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #11
    Sawgrass wrote:


    While you may or may not like the results of kicking loose impediments aside, 15.1a allows the practice:



    a. Removal of Loose Impediment

    Without penalty, a player may remove a loose impediment anywhere on or off the course, and may do so in any way (such as by using a hand or foot or a club or other equipment).
    Yep, we all understand, "may do so in any way". But take out all of that material in the picture with a kick, and you have altered the surface of the ground - simply not possible to remove those partly embedded items without doing so. So you need to be carefully considering whether an 8.1 breach has occurred.
    Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #12
    antip wrote:

    Sawgrass wrote:


    While you may or may not like the results of kicking loose impediments aside, 15.1a allows the practice:



    a. Removal of Loose Impediment

    Without penalty, a player may remove a loose impediment anywhere on or off the course, and may do so in any way (such as by using a hand or foot or a club or other equipment).
    Yep, we all understand, "may do so in any way". But take out all of that material in the picture with a kick, and you have altered the surface of the ground - simply not possible to remove those partly embedded items without doing so. So you need to be carefully considering whether an 8.1 breach has occurred.
    Would you penalize a player for slowly scraping the pebbles away from the area in front of his/her ball with the edge of his/her shoe?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • QEightQEight Finland 3521WRX Points: 189Handicap: 11,0Members Posts: 3,521 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #13
    Depends if he is also moving soil.
    Posted:
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Michigan 3702WRX Points: 437ClubWRX Posts: 3,702 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #14
    If someone is removing a loose impediment in accordance with 15.1 I seriously doubt any soil incidentally moved in the process would result in a penalty. As long as you act in accordance with the language and spirit of one rule, I just cannot believe that you will have been deemed to have violated another under some technicality.



    Also the interpretation noted with 15.1 would seem to indicate that there is no intention to limit the method used or size of the impediment which is to be removed. The unreasonable delay of play seems to be the only restriction I can see.

    15.1a/1 – Removing a Loose Impediment, Including Assistance from Others



    Loose impediments come in many shapes and sizes (such as acorns and large rocks), and the means and methods by which they may be removed are not limited, except that removal must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a).
    Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #15
    QEight wrote:


    Depends if he is also moving soil.
    It’s next to impossible to remove a lightly embedded LI without moving at least some small amount of soil, so that can not be the dividing line. You have to gain a potential advantage for there to be an “improvement” violation.



    If you’re kicking with the sole intent of moving LIs, and incidentally move some soil which does not create an advantage, there is no issue.
    Posted:
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16
    Dpavs wrote:


    If someone is removing a loose impediment in accordance with 15.1 I seriously doubt any soil incidentally moved in the process would result in a penalty. As long as you act in accordance with the language and spirit of one rule, I just cannot believe that you will have been deemed to have violated another under some technicality.



    Also the interpretation noted with 15.1 would seem to indicate that there is no intention to limit the method used or size of the impediment which is to be removed. The unreasonable delay of play seems to be the only restriction I can see.

    15.1a/1 – Removing a Loose Impediment, Including Assistance from Others



    Loose impediments come in many shapes and sizes (such as acorns and large rocks), and the means and methods by which they may be removed are not limited, except that removal must not unreasonably delay play (see Rule 5.6a).
    It’s always dangerous to bring the subject up, but I believe some soil was moved when the Tiger Team legally helped him move that storied boulder in Phoenix.
    Posted:
  • rogolfrogolf  4250WRX Points: 521Members Posts: 4,250 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17
    Sawgrass wrote:

    QEight wrote:


    Depends if he is also moving soil.
    It’s next to impossible to remove a lightly embedded LI without moving at least some small amount of soil, so that can not be the dividing line. You have to gain a potential advantage for there to be an “improvement” violation.



    If you’re kicking with the sole intent of moving LIs, and incidentally move some soil which does not create an advantage, there is no issue.


    SG, I prefer not to go into "creating an advantage" discussions. Imo, the Rules have determined that building a stance creates an advantage and is not permitted. So, the pertinent question is, did the player build a stance?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 8, 2019 #18
    rogolf wrote:

    Sawgrass wrote:

    QEight wrote:


    Depends if he is also moving soil.
    It’s next to impossible to remove a lightly embedded LI without moving at least some small amount of soil, so that can not be the dividing line. You have to gain a potential advantage for there to be an “improvement” violation.



    If you’re kicking with the sole intent of moving LIs, and incidentally move some soil which does not create an advantage, there is no issue.


    SG, I prefer not to go into "creating an advantage" discussions. Imo, the Rules have determined that building a stance creates an advantage and is not permitted. So, the pertinent question is, did the player build a stance?
    I was quoting the definition of “improve” when I wrote about “potential advantage.”I don’t see how we can avoid addressing it in a discussion about rule 8.1.



    Edit:



    8.1a/6, about building a stance, specifically allows the removal of LIs, so around we go.
    Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13293WRX Points: 2,179Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,293 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19
    I'm surprised pine straw isn't listed as an example as it is so prevalent
    Posted:

    Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

    '19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20
    cardoustie wrote:


    I'm surprised pine straw isn't listed as an example as it is so prevalent
    8.1a/6 does specifically mention the allowance to remove pine needles and leaves.
    Posted:
  • rogolfrogolf  4250WRX Points: 521Members Posts: 4,250 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 8, 2019 #21
    Sawgrass wrote:

    rogolf wrote:

    Sawgrass wrote:

    QEight wrote:


    Depends if he is also moving soil.
    It's next to impossible to remove a lightly embedded LI without moving at least some small amount of soil, so that can not be the dividing line. You have to gain a potential advantage for there to be an "improvement" violation.



    If you're kicking with the sole intent of moving LIs, and incidentally move some soil which does not create an advantage, there is no issue.


    SG, I prefer not to go into "creating an advantage" discussions. Imo, the Rules have determined that building a stance creates an advantage and is not permitted. So, the pertinent question is, did the player build a stance?
    I was quoting the definition of "improve" when I wrote about "potential advantage."I don't see how we can avoid addressing it in a discussion about rule 8.1.



    Edit:



    8.1a/6, about building a stance, specifically allows the removal of LIs, so around we go.


    Understood, but, imo, debating with a player, on the course, whether or not a potential advantage was created is a no-win situation. If the player built a stance, I'll know it and say that he did.

    Sand and loose soil are not loose impediments (except on the putting green). Small amounts of sand and loose soil are allowed to be moved in removing true loose impediments (pine needles, stones on a gravel path, lightly-embedded stones, wood chips etc). In the picture in the original post, there appears to be a lot of loose soil.

    BTW, I know you're in the choir!
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4757WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,757 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Mar 8, 2019 #22
    rogolf wrote:


    Sand and loose soil are not loose impediments (except on the putting green).




    Not even on the putting green...



    Welcome to year 2019 image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SawgrassSawgrass  15759WRX Points: 1,071Members Posts: 15,759 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23
    Mr. Bean wrote:

    rogolf wrote:


    Sand and loose soil are not loose impediments (except on the putting green).




    Not even on the putting green...



    Welcome to year 2019 image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />
    I thought that was an interesting change, though it ends up as no change at all. Sand and soil are never LI's per the definition of LI, but sand and soil are specifically allowed to be removed from the putting green via 13.1c (1).



    I confess I like the new configuration. But that's just me.
    Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4757WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,757 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #24
    I think the RBs wanted to get rid of the exception in the Def of LI and move sand and soil to be covered by the Putting Green Rules. one sort of simplifying, I guess.
    Posted:
  • antipantip  1026WRX Points: 331Members Posts: 1,026 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #25
    rogolf wrote:

    Sawgrass wrote:

    rogolf wrote:

    Sawgrass wrote:

    QEight wrote:


    Depends if he is also moving soil.
    It's next to impossible to remove a lightly embedded LI without moving at least some small amount of soil, so that can not be the dividing line. You have to gain a potential advantage for there to be an "improvement" violation.



    If you're kicking with the sole intent of moving LIs, and incidentally move some soil which does not create an advantage, there is no issue.


    SG, I prefer not to go into "creating an advantage" discussions. Imo, the Rules have determined that building a stance creates an advantage and is not permitted. So, the pertinent question is, did the player build a stance?
    I was quoting the definition of "improve" when I wrote about "potential advantage."I don't see how we can avoid addressing it in a discussion about rule 8.1.



    Edit:



    8.1a/6, about building a stance, specifically allows the removal of LIs, so around we go.


    Understood, but, imo, debating with a player, on the course, whether or not a potential advantage was created is a no-win situation. If the player built a stance, I'll know it and say that he did.

    Sand and loose soil are not loose impediments (except on the putting green). Small amounts of sand and loose soil are allowed to be moved in removing true loose impediments (pine needles, stones on a gravel path, lightly-embedded stones, wood chips etc). In the picture in the original post, there appears to be a lot of loose soil.

    BTW, I know you're in the choir!
    I'm in full agreement with the thrust of the conversation but have two small border observations. One relates to improving the conditions. Specifically, I'm referring to stance/position of feet rather than lie of ball. Some of our courses in low rainfall areas have rock hard ground in the rough with a narrow 'skin' of loose soil on top. The result is a considerable constraint on how the player swings because of very unstable feet. In such a situation, robustly kicking away partly embedded stones around the feet area for the stance can produce a considerable improvement in the conditions of the stroke by creating a much more stable platform for making a full swing. In that situation, I would be advising a player to avoid moving loose soil unnecessarily because the common natural instinct is to be very careful around the ball but not careful around the feet area.



    My other comment is that there is now, IMO, a new piece of sacred ground where you can build a stance to your heart's content - whenever the ball is in the Teeing Area.
    Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4757WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,757 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #26
    antip wrote:


    My other comment is that there is now, IMO, a new piece of sacred ground where you can build a stance to your heart's content - whenever the ball is in the Teeing Area.




    I am afraid you lost me on this one. Care to elaborate?
    Posted:
  • antipantip  1026WRX Points: 331Members Posts: 1,026 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #27
    Mr. Bean wrote:

    antip wrote:


    My other comment is that there is now, IMO, a new piece of sacred ground where you can build a stance to your heart's content - whenever the ball is in the Teeing Area./6.




    I am afraid you lost me on this one. Care to elaborate?
    I think the explicit teeing area permission in 6.2b(3) overrides the more general restriction on altering the surface of the ground and 8.1a/6.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4757WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,757 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #28
    antip wrote:

    Mr. Bean wrote:

    antip wrote:


    My other comment is that there is now, IMO, a new piece of sacred ground where you can build a stance to your heart's content - whenever the ball is in the Teeing Area./6.




    I am afraid you lost me on this one. Care to elaborate?
    I think the explicit teeing area permission in 6.2b(3) overrides the more general restriction on altering the surface of the ground and 8.1a/6.




    But antip, building stance is different from altering the surface, is it not? Further elaborating is obviously needed...
    Posted:
  • antipantip  1026WRX Points: 331Members Posts: 1,026 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #29
    Mr. Bean wrote:

    antip wrote:

    Mr. Bean wrote:

    antip wrote:


    My other comment is that there is now, IMO, a new piece of sacred ground where you can build a stance to your heart's content - whenever the ball is in the Teeing Area./6.




    I am afraid you lost me on this one. Care to elaborate?
    I think the explicit teeing area permission in 6.2b(3) overrides the more general restriction on altering the surface of the ground and 8.1a/6.




    But antip, building stance is different from altering the surface, is it not? Further elaborating is obviously needed...
    They may or not be different. Some forms of building stance, like piling some sand up a bit on the teeing area and standing on it, I think qualifies as both building stance and altering the surface at the same time. Other forms of building stance, such as putting a towel down on the ground would only represent building a stance and not altering the surface of the ground. I think the former is permitted on the teeing area while the latter remains a breach anywhere on the course. But there is no explicit discussion of this among the published material.
    Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean  4757WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3,8Members Posts: 4,757 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #30
    antip wrote:

    Mr. Bean wrote:

    antip wrote:

    Mr. Bean wrote:

    antip wrote:


    My other comment is that there is now, IMO, a new piece of sacred ground where you can build a stance to your heart's content - whenever the ball is in the Teeing Area./6.




    I am afraid you lost me on this one. Care to elaborate?
    I think the explicit teeing area permission in 6.2b(3) overrides the more general restriction on altering the surface of the ground and 8.1a/6.




    But antip, building stance is different from altering the surface, is it not? Further elaborating is obviously needed...
    They may or not be different. Some forms of building stance, like piling some sand up a bit on the teeing area and standing on it, I think qualifies as both building stance and altering the surface at the same time. Other forms of building stance, such as putting a towel down on the ground would only represent building a stance and not altering the surface of the ground. I think the former is permitted on the teeing area while the latter remains a breach anywhere on the course. But there is no explicit discussion of this among the published material.




    Fair enough but what struck my eye was '...a new piece of sacred ground where you can build a stance to your heart's content...' which clearly is not correct.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • antipantip  1026WRX Points: 331Members Posts: 1,026 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #31
    Mr. Bean wrote:




    Fair enough but what struck my eye was '...a new piece of sacred ground where you can build a stance to your heart's content...' which clearly is not correct.
    Providing your heart is content with sand rather than a towel, the sky is the limit.
    Posted:
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.