ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Shortening putter but cutting tip?

golfman009golfman009 Advanced Members Posts: 819 ✭✭
I have a nice Gripmaster on my putter that I don’t have the tools to remove but I want to shorten my putter. Could I just pull the shaft, cut the 1/2” off the top and than re epoxy it? Shaft diameter will stay the same if I only cut that much off?

Thx!
Taylormade M2 9 Speeder X
Taylormade M1 15 AD DI 70x
Taylormade P790 UDI 17 PX Black 6.5
Wishon Sterling 4-9 X200
WIshon PCF Tour 48, 52, 56 & 60 S400
Yes! Tracy II

Comments

• Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,663 ✭✭
    edited March 17
    I assume it's not a putter shaft with a single or double bend?

It's going to depend on the particular shaft as to whether or not it has a parallel tip section or not. Best advise I have is to get a set of calipers and measure right at the hosel and then again at the point you want to cut it.

Also can make a difference if the shaft mounts to the head by being inserted into a bored hosel vs being installed over and around a tab that extends out of the head/hosel.

Personally, for just a 1/2", I'd simply choke up and not bother with any of that.
  • golfman009golfman009 Advanced Members Posts: 819 ✭✭
    Thanks, yah its a straight shaft and the shaft goes inside the hosel part of the putter. Good idea with the calipers, not sure where mine are though...
    Taylormade M2 9 Speeder X
    Taylormade M1 15 AD DI 70x
    Taylormade P790 UDI 17 PX Black 6.5
    Wishon Sterling 4-9 X200
    WIshon PCF Tour 48, 52, 56 & 60 S400
    Yes! Tracy II
  • ArtMBgolfArtMBgolf Advanced Members Posts: 354 ✭✭
    Your idea will work as long as the shaft tip section is still the same size, usually .370, after tip trimming.

Turn the grip so it aligns with the face.
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Advanced Members Posts: 3,265 ✭✭
    Even if the shaft diameter matches, its very difficult to reattach the shaft with the grip straight. Much harder to make small grip readjustment. Even if you think you got it straight you may try after the eppxy sets and notice it's slightly off. I would also choke down a bit...
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902