Trouble blowing on Super Stroke swing grips

arzee2 ·  
arzee2arzee2  225WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 225 Fairways

I just bought the Super Stroke Traxion Wrap grips from golfworks to try out. I blew off my grip on my driver and a wedge (MCC+4) and tried to blow on the new grips. I had the pressure dialed up to 75psi and I still couldn't get the thing to go on. I would prefer to not put them on with grip tape and solvent. This is the first time I have had a problem blowing on a grip. I've installed Winn, tour velvet, MCC's and lamkins without issue. I'm looking for any tips or tricks to get this done.

Posted:
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg w/HZRDUS Smoke
Callaway Epic Flash 15deg
Callaway Apex 3H
Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW
Vokey SM7 54S & 58D
Taylormade Spider X

TP5X

Comments

• DavewnDavewn West Des Moines, IA 600WRX Points: 85Handicap: 10Members Posts: 600 Golden Tee

Are the grips holding air and sticking or is the air blowing straight through the mouth of the grip? If they're just getting stuck, try some grip solvent. I use odorless mineral spirits myself.

Posted:
    Callaway RAZR Fit 10.5* Aldila RIP'd NV 60 S
    Ping G5 13.5* Aerotech Powercoil 50 S
    TaylorMade 200 Steel 4 Wood TM Lite R-80
    Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4 Hybrid Litespeed R
    Adams A7 5-GW UST Proforce 85 R
    Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In SW 55/12 Cleveland Action Lite S
    Cleveland TA 900 60* Nicklaus Driveshaft R
    Slotline Inertial 35" 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6634WRX Points: 1,079Handicap: 8.6Members Posts: 6,634 Titanium Tees

None of the places I use for repairs will even try to save a SS putter grip.

Maybe it's something in the way SS builds their grips ?

Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Spider-X Copper (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX

• NessismNessism To measure is to know...  19310WRX Points: 1,406Members Posts: 19,310 Titanium Tees

I've pulled SS putter grips several times using a rod and solvent. No big deal.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX  8953WRX Points: 307Handicap: lowClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,953 ClubWRX

On -, @nsxguy said:

None of the places I use for repairs will even try to save a SS putter grip.

Maybe it's something in the way SS builds their grips ?

I think he's referring to swing grips, not putter grips.

OP, as another member posted, you can use grip solvent or mineral spirits to help install grips with air. I've had to do it a few times and it works fine. You just have to wait a little while to swing them.

Posted:
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway 815 Alpha 20* - Aldila Phenom 100X
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 4-PW - KBS $ Taper 120
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 60 - DGTI S400
    Toulon Garage San Diego
    Snell Black
  • Snowman9000Snowman9000  1223WRX Points: 212Handicap: 10Members Posts: 1,223 Platinum Tees

I always apply a small dose of mineral spirits around the inside mouth of the grip. If the grip is hard to blow on, I'll add more of it.

Posted:
    Driver M4
    5W Cleveland Launcher HB
    4h, 5h, 6h Adams Idea Tech 2015
    6-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
    58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
    Odyssey Jailbird Mini
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New Hampshire 24615WRX Points: 1,369Members Posts: 24,615 Titanium Tees

Some grips can get sticky when sliding over raw steel - in those cases - a layer of masking tape can make it a bit easier.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • sui generissui generis  4389WRX Points: 724Members Posts: 4,389 Titanium Tees

A little heat is useful sometimes. My wife asks why I'm always putting grips in the microwave. :)

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • arzee2arzee2  225WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 225 Fairways

Thanks for the replies! I'll see if any of these ideas will work.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg w/HZRDUS Smoke
    Callaway Epic Flash 15deg
    Callaway Apex 3H
    Callaway Rogue Pro 4-AW
    Vokey SM7 54S & 58D
    Taylormade Spider X

TP5X
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370WRX Points: 385Members Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees

It takes more attention as the material is soft and cushy.
    As Steward G, mentioned, raw metal will not work well ( we joked as it stuttering down the raw metal shaft ). put a thin layer of masking tape on then either use solvent or water to lube the grip and the tape for air installing.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.