Recommend me a...

Joelsim ·  
JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 525Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

...moderate toe-hang putter.

Why?

Because I’m going to do a test, as part of improving my putting. I have recently changed to a new way of putting which seems to be working, a slight forward press appears to have negated the bad things that were happening before.

I now have three putters, all face-balanced but with different attributes.

So, I’m thinking of getting a moderate toe-hang putter and then testing:

Bettinardi milled head vs Odyssey Microhinge vs Odyssey Microhinge/Stroke Lab vs Toe-hang

A lot of variables, but I play two or three times per week and will also go to the putting green to evaluate the options.

So, suggestions please of something that’s maybe 1/4 Toe-hang or thereabouts. Needless to say I’m not made of money so this will be purchased second hand as was the SL, so it can be sold on for not much of a loss. What are your favourites? (Favorites for you lot over the pond).

Posted:
Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
Utility: Wilson Staff Model Utility #3 Regular KBS
Hybrid: Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).

Comments

• MattM97MattM97 Members  1284WRX Points: 529Posts: 1,284 Platinum Tees

The Cleveland putters can be had cheap even new, they're milled and get good reviews for the most part. Could be a good one to test.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - TP Mills Handmade Trad II SIK Tour Proto - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer 

Instagram:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 525Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

BTW I’m also open to suggestions of how to test, so feel free to make any.

Posted:
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 525Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

Maybe Matt, I like the look of those. Tbh it doesn’t have to be cheap, just I’ll buy a good second hand one of whatever is chosen, something I can sell on for the same price ish.

Posted:
  • studatnustudatnu Members  1222WRX Points: 128Posts: 1,222 Platinum Tees

I have a #9 Stroke Lab putter, best putter I've ever bagged.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
    Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
    TaylorMade 2007 Burner Rescue 19* w/ Ozik Altus Reg
    TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
    Callaway PM 58*
    Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
    The one's I hit into the woods and into the water.
  • MattM97MattM97 Members  1284WRX Points: 529Posts: 1,284 Platinum Tees

Also depends what you want to test. If you want another insert the TM Soto with the plumbers neck or Juno are good and also plentiful. Then you can always use a classic Ping Anser since so many heads copy it.

A basic blade is generally going to be the same across the board no matter who you get it from.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - TP Mills Handmade Trad II SIK Tour Proto - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer 

Instagram:

Just bought a 2019 Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 blade, with 15* of toe-hang at a price I couldn’t pass up. This’ll be the 4th putter in my test, and hopefully a keeper if it works.

I’ve posted pics in the ‘just buy’ thread.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.