Tip trimming for bore through irons

sdandrea ·  
sdandreasdandrea SteveMembers  2650WRX Points: 514Handicap: 11Posts: 2,650 Titanium Tees

I swear I searched first guys! I'm reshafting a set of 2004 Callaway BB irons in graphite (they have graphite now but the ferrules are all beat up and I want to learn how to do this). I've got the Cally collared ferrules and tip plugs. I may ream the hosels .370 all the way through or I may hand taper the tips. What I've read here it seems to be 50/50 on which way to go.

What I can't find is tip trimming allowance. How much less do I trim the tips from the mfg recommended instructions (they don't give me bore-through trim specs)? I found one YT video that recommends 1/2" less than standard bore trim. What say you and thanks in advance!

Posted:
  • XXIO Prime 10.5*
  • Cobra Max 5w
  • Callaway BB 6h
  • Maltby TE Forged 6 - GW
  • Callaway PM Grind  56*
  • Scotty Fastback

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  24836WRX Points: 1,498Posts: 24,836 Titanium Tees

When you pull the existing shafts, use the cut shaft length of the pull to determine the BBGM (bottom bore to ground) for that particular head model. Then adjust the tipping based on how different that is from the more standard bore BBGM of 1.5".

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members  7611WRX Points: 444Posts: 7,611 Titanium Tees

Unless you really want to, you really do not need to redo the plugs at all. Cut the old shafts off at the hosel (unless you want to save them) and drill the hosels to a standard bore depth (1.25" is fairly common). Insert your modern shafts just as though you were using a standard bore and done.

If you want to change, you just need to keep the normal bore depth as though you were installing them into new heads. If the bottom bore to ground is say 1.5", you just reduce the amount of tip trim by that amount. If tip trim recommended is 4.0", you only cut off 2.5" instead and install through the hosel, sand, buff, polish, etc. This makes the same amount of length above the bore as if you used standard heads.

Edit...sniped on the lower part. I type slow :)

Posted:
    TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
    TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
    Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2650WRX Points: 514Handicap: 11Posts: 2,650 Titanium Tees

On -, @Stuart_G said:

When you pull the existing shafts, use the cut shaft length of the pull to determine the BBGM (bottom bore to ground) for that particular head model. Then adjust the tipping based on how different that is from the more standard bore BBGM of 1.5".

Thank you Stuart. I assume you are saying that most standard bore trim instructions are based on a 1.5" BBGM?

Posted:
    • XXIO Prime 10.5*
    • Cobra Max 5w
    • Callaway BB 6h
    • Callaway PM Grind  56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2650WRX Points: 514Handicap: 11Posts: 2,650 Titanium Tees

Pppp0>

On -, @Golfrnut said:

Unless you really want to, you really do not need to redo the plugs at all. Cut the old shafts off at the hosel (unless you want to save them) and drill the hosels to a standard bore depth (1.25" is fairly common). Insert your modern shafts just as though you were using a standard bore and done.

If you want to change, you just need to keep the normal bore depth as though you were installing them into new heads. If the bottom bore to ground is say 1.5", you just reduce the amount of tip trim by that amount. If tip trim recommended is 4.0", you only cut off 2.5" instead and install through the hosel, sand, buff, polish, etc. This makes the same amount of length above the bore as if you used standard heads.

Edit...sniped on the lower part. I type slow :)

More great info, thank you!

Posted:
    • XXIO Prime 10.5*
    • Cobra Max 5w
    • Callaway BB 6h
    • Callaway PM Grind  56*
    • Scotty Fastback

I was planning on pulling the old shafts and using the existing tip angle as a template for cutting the new shafts. I just didn't know how much to trim first. This is very helpful. Now that I look at images of BBGM it makes perfect sense.

Posted:
    • XXIO Prime 10.5*
    • Cobra Max 5w
    • Callaway BB 6h
    • Callaway PM Grind  56*
    • Scotty Fastback
  • JCAGJCAG John Curry Members  2179WRX Points: 168Posts: 2,179 Platinum Tees

Bore through sole finishing is not for the weak of heart. After doing 20 or so you might get the feel of how to do them properly. Easier on an iron than on a wood. You will need tip plugs, belt sander, and sole polishing wheels.
    The partially drill out the shafts and reshaft is amatuer way to do them and also an easy way to do until while drilling, the hosel heats up and the tip pops out........LOL

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.