Got fitted today....

Kye123Kye123 Members Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 11, 2019 1:53am in WRX Club Techs #1

I'm a six handicapper, 7 iron SS at 87-89MPH and I've never being fitted, my parents gave me a present for finishing my first year at Uni and I got fitted into and ordered the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged irons today, gained around 11 yards compared to my unfit 716 AP2 (Standard AMT S300) and tightened the dispersion too landing the shots within 3ft of each other. I was massively surprised when I seen the results of the DNA recommendations....
1- KBS TOUR X
2- Project X LZ 6.5 (This was the final choice).
3- Dynamic gold S300.
I was wondering if anyone else got what I thought was weird recommendations but one's that seemed to work...

Comments

• phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kye123 said:
    I'm a six handicapper, 7 iron SS at 87-89MPH and I've never being fitted, my parents gave me a present for finishing my first year at Uni and I got fitted into and ordered the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged irons today, gained around 11 yards compared to my unfit 716 AP2 (Standard AMT S300) and tightened the dispersion too landing the shots within 3ft of each other. I was massively surprised when I seen the results of the DNA recommendations....
    1- KBS TOUR X
    2- Project X LZ 6.5 (This was the final choice).
    3- Dynamic gold S300.
    I was wondering if anyone else got what I thought was weird recommendations but one's that seemed to work...

The Mizuno DNA is notorious for overflexing people, at least in the previous version. I am not sure if they have fixed this with their new DNA 3D modules. I've had guys that swing at 83mph with a 6i be recommended LZ 6.0 and S300s, which for someone at that speed, they would typically walk out with something in the 110g range like LZ 5.0, Modus 105 S, C-Taper Lite S, or maybe at worst a PX/PX LZ 5.5 if they loaded it a bit harder from the top.

Only you were at the fitting and can say for certain what worked or not but to be honest if I was doing your fit the only one of those 3 that might get pulled for you would be an s300 and that would be a last ditch effort or if you were coming pretty strongly over the top. I would have gone PX/PX LZ 6.0, Modus 120, C-Taper 120, KBS Tour 120, or AMT/Tour White S300 and maybe C-Taper Lite X if you loaded a bit harder as a lot of people feel this shaft plays soft to flex.

Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • geochitowngeochitown Members Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

7 iron ss in upper 80’s range sounds pretty fast to me

Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff/Driver stand-in TEE EX9 Long 13* - Accra Tour Z ST 75 M4 untipped at 42.5" 
    OR TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 /5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 2" at 41.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 19* H - Fujikura Fit-on Red Stiff - 85 g at 39.25"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Maxfli Revolution Black 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43,48) at -1/2" length DGS300U
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*, so 9* bounce)
    Vokey SM5 60-07S  
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0
  • thlongballthlongball Members Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭

The DNA 3D fit is another level than previous options, even fits for lie

• thlongballthlongball Members Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a great video about it on YouTube by the TXG guys

• Kye123Kye123 Members Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

I'm quite skeptical now, I re-rang the fitter and he did say my SS was high enough for the 6.5's and it's the way I loaded the shaft or something like that... I used the online fitting tool on the Project X website and punched in my numbers and it chose the 6.5 LZ's also.... I did love the feel of those and absolutely hated the dynamic gold's. The numbers were good too so maybe it's just reading too many forums saying people shouldn't use X-stiff :smile: He did also mention it was more just a weight difference rather than that much flex difference.... think it was like 5 grams.

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@geochitown said:
    7 iron ss in upper 80’s range sounds pretty fast to me

I was swinging a 7 iron 95 mph on a trackman... Body mechanics are weird... I also got fit into stiff flex dg 120s

I’ll probably end up hard stepping them as the x were generating more spin.

Honestly, I need to get completely refit as I’ve made swing changes.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

Only thing I’ve been fit for is these... hoping I’m not making a mistake.
    Really want to get fit for my driver currently around 100mph SS with that, and get about 265-270 of the tee.

• TommyjTommyj Members Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 10:16am #9

You saw the improved results yourself relative to your current AP2s, so if the shaft felt good I wouldn't worry about it. I'm just surprised that the #3 option wasn't a hard stepped S300 or X100. Does the fitter/retailer you are buying from offer some sort of performance guarantee in case they don't work out for you on the course?

I'm not sure, obviously they order straight from Mizuno i'm not sure if they have any guarentee. Hopefully they will workout fine, I have to wait ten days which is annoying.

@Tommyj said:
    You saw the improved results yourself relative to your current AP2s, so if the shaft felt good I wouldn't worry about it. I'm just surprised that the #3 option wasn't a hard stepped S300 or X100. Does the fitter/retailer you are buying from offer some sort of performance guarantee in case they don't work out for you on the course?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file