Slightly better performance than TF D2 feel? (Mainly greens)

Bruiser419Bruiser419 Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

So right now I use the Top Flite D2 Feel and it's a pretty good ball for me. It goes pretty far (almost too far sometimes) and it has some performance around the green, but I'd like a little more so I could hit my chips a touch harder with confidence.
Is there any ball that has the same distance as my current ball, but a little better performance around the green? I tried the Titleist Velocity and didn't like it. I'm also looking for something in the up to $25 range, so no Pro v1's or anything like that. I'm not good enough and lose too many balls to play balls that pricey.
Thanks.

Comments

• Pearson10MPearson10M Members Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Maybe the Maxi Softfli or the Callaway Supersoft.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend the SuperSoft, SoftFeel, or TruSoft. The Callaway balls from Costco are usually half-decent as well (~$60 for 48 balls). These are all probably marginally better than the Velocity, but I don't think any of them are going to do too much more (absolute or vs your TF D2 Feel). Probably need to go to a cheaper urethane ball to make a big difference.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Titleist Velocity is going to spin as little around the green as any mainstream ball I know of.

The three mentioned by friend agolf1 (SuperSoft, SoftFeel, or TruSoft) are going to marginally better and probably as good as you're going to do without using a urethane cover.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Bruiser419Bruiser419 Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try the Trusoft or the Wilson 50/50 elite. I’ve tried all 3 and the Trusoft and 50/50 are both better than the D2. I think the Trusoft is the best of the 3 but is a bit more expensive

Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is very little difference in green side spin between 2-piece ionomer covered balls, so you will need to look at something with a urethane cover if increases spin is your primary goal. If price is a big concern, try the Top Flite Gamer Urethane or the Kirkland Performance+ (if you have a Costco membership).

• Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 12:38am #8

It's worth another five bucks (29.99) for Q Star Tour. They do go on sale quite often too. I find the D2 Feel slightly firm, the same for the QST. They have a yellow ball, too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file