GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Slightly better performance than TF D2 feel? (Mainly greens)

Bruiser419 ·  
Bruiser419Bruiser419 Members  37WRX Points: 32Posts: 37 Bunkers

So right now I use the Top Flite D2 Feel and it's a pretty good ball for me. It goes pretty far (almost too far sometimes) and it has some performance around the green, but I'd like a little more so I could hit my chips a touch harder with confidence.
Is there any ball that has the same distance as my current ball, but a little better performance around the green? I tried the Titleist Velocity and didn't like it. I'm also looking for something in the up to $25 range, so no Pro v1's or anything like that. I'm not good enough and lose too many balls to play balls that pricey.
Thanks.

Posted:

Comments

• Pearson10MPearson10M Members  167WRX Points: 59Posts: 167 Fairways

Maybe the Maxi Softfli or the Callaway Supersoft.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  2001WRX Points: 1,149Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees

I would recommend the SuperSoft, SoftFeel, or TruSoft. The Callaway balls from Costco are usually half-decent as well (~$60 for 48 balls). These are all probably marginally better than the Velocity, but I don't think any of them are going to do too much more (absolute or vs your TF D2 Feel). Probably need to go to a cheaper urethane ball to make a big difference.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11817WRX Points: 1,614Posts: 11,817 Titanium Tees

Titleist Velocity is going to spin as little around the green as any mainstream ball I know of.

The three mentioned by friend agolf1 (SuperSoft, SoftFeel, or TruSoft) are going to marginally better and probably as good as you're going to do without using a urethane cover.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Bruiser419Bruiser419 Members  37WRX Points: 32Posts: 37 Bunkers

Thanks!

Posted:
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62 Members  1805WRX Points: 353Posts: 1,805 Platinum Tees

Try the Trusoft or the Wilson 50/50 elite. I’ve tried all 3 and the Trusoft and 50/50 are both better than the D2. I think the Trusoft is the best of the 3 but is a bit more expensive

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • storm319storm319 USMembers  4394WRX Points: 541Posts: 4,394 Titanium Tees

There is very little difference in green side spin between 2-piece ionomer covered balls, so you will need to look at something with a urethane cover if increases spin is your primary goal. If price is a big concern, try the Top Flite Gamer Urethane or the Kirkland Performance+ (if you have a Costco membership).

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members  6713WRX Points: 325Posts: 6,713 Titanium Tees

It's worth another five bucks (29.99) for Q Star Tour. They do go on sale quite often too. I find the D2 Feel slightly firm, the same for the QST. They have a yellow ball, too.

Posted:
  • Song DogSong Dog Members  112WRX Points: 53Posts: 112 Fairways

Just gonna throw this out there. I like the D2s ALOT. I did just get some 5A NXT Tour S's and really like ALOT about them. I played them in the past and that's why I got them. Good ball for me.

Posted:
  • Bruiser419Bruiser419 Members  37WRX Points: 32Posts: 37 Bunkers

On -, @Song Dog said:

Just gonna throw this out there. I like the D2s ALOT. I did just get some 5A NXT Tour S's and really like ALOT about them. I played them in the past and that's why I got them. Good ball for me.

I've never had much luck with Titleist balls. They just never seem to feel, sound right, or perform very well for me.

Posted:
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members  6713WRX Points: 325Posts: 6,713 Titanium Tees

Also, there's the 3 piece surlyn category that should feel as good as the D2 Feel but have better spin, like Wilson Soft Spin.
    I also have played the D2 and like them. But, went away from them due to a lack of spin. They are a great value though.

Posted:
  • jtj74jtj74 Members  905WRX Points: 184Posts: 905 Golden Tee

Try the Top-Flite Gamer Urethane. Those should do what you are asking for.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.