Driver Loft/Face Angle Relationship

dblindendblinden Members Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Seeking clarification - All other things being equal (and the club face is kept square to target path), what is the corresponding change in loft when the face angle is adjusted open or closed? For example, if the face angle is adjusted closed or opened 1 degree, is the loft changed exactly one degree? Trying to determine if the relationship is 1:1 or some other factor. Thanks.

Comments

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It probably depends what driver you're talking about. People here are super knowledgeable, I'm guessing if you give the exact model they'll tell you the relationship between sleeve adjustments and face angle open/closure.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dblinden said:
    Seeking clarification - All other things being equal (and the club face is kept square to target path), what is the corresponding change in loft when the face angle is adjusted open or closed? For example, if the face angle is adjusted closed or opened 1 degree, is the loft changed exactly one degree? Trying to determine if the relationship is 1:1 or some other factor. Thanks.

Depends on what you mean by the face angle being adjusted. If you mean the face angle adjusted via the hosel settings or even by bending the hosel, then the relationship is roughly 0.6* loft for each 1* of face angle change. Or 1.8* face angle change will give 1* of loft change. The actual relationship is trigonomic and dependent on the lie angle - but that's close enough for most woods and hybrids.

• dblindendblinden Members Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 3:29pm #4

Depends on what you mean by the face angle being adjusted. If you mean the face angle adjusted via the hosel settings or even by bending the hosel, then the relationship is roughly 0.6* loft for each 1* of face angle change. Or 1.8* face angle change will give 1* of loft change. The actual relationship is trigonomic and dependent on the lie angle - but that's close enough for most woods and hybrids.

This is the information I was hoping to obtain. Thanks.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The relationship of Face angle to Loft angle vary with Lie angle like this:

• dblindendblinden Members Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Howard Jones - Thank you! Exactly what I was trying to find. Where do they hide this stuff?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file