2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Counterbalancing a Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

Ivyguy ·  
IvyguyIvyguy  1607WRX Points: 259Members Posts: 1,607

Howdy y'all

I got the opportunity to roll a Bettinardi FCB counterbalance... and I gotta say, coolest putter I ever rolled... actually considered running off with it lol.

So, I cannot spend 1400 bucks on one (well I could, but I heard divorces can be costly, so I'm gonna avoid that), I want to create a "poor man's FCB".

Using a Ping Vault 2.0 ZB, I want to get the head to at least 385 grams, get the length to 39-40 inches and utilize a long putter grip (15-17 inches long).

BUT, I have a couple of questions for the brain trust here:

-The Vault 2.0 line has adjustable weights, two parter here:

1: has anyone adjusted their own? I see the kits on ebay.. any experiences?

2: on Pings site, the say that the Tungsten weights are 15 grams heavier than standard... is that for each (total of 30 grams heavier total)?

-Is my logic behind the counterbalancing sound? Based on all of the threads here, it seems like the grip should be between 30 and 35 percent of the headweight... 385 head weight and a 130 gram grip essentially gets me there (look, I'm not a tour pro, close is good enough).

Any insight or experiences that folks can share would be great... Or, if you have a heavy head FCB lying around that you are willing to donate (lol), let me know.

Thanks!!!

Posted:

Comments

• MattM97MattM97  766WRX Points: 341Members Posts: 766

Weights might be better to send off to Ping to install.

Length you don't necessarily need to go super long on a putter length unless you really need/want too. Can still counterbalance with a regular length putter for yourself or just a touch longer if you like the weight above your hands.

For weight it's what you feel you like, some can CB just on a heavy putter grip, some need extra weight. My gamer is 35-40% difference in the head to handle depending what weight I have in the putter.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon Sand Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • IvyguyIvyguy  1607WRX Points: 259Members Posts: 1,607

I contacted ping... 365 is the heaviest that they can make the putter stock. So, I may have to look at using tungsten powder in the shaft.

Anyone try this?

Posted:
  • JunkerJorgeJunkerJorge  345WRX Points: 146Members Posts: 345

I've not done that with the zb specifically but I have had tungsten down the shaft and it works just fine. Of course can put lead tape on the sole as well. The ZB is a fine stick.

Posted:

I found some high density lead tape (.25 inches wide, one inch equals one gram)... assuming the putter is 3.5 inches long, I'll effectively be able to fit three inches on there. For me to get to 380, from the 365 (stock's with tungsten weights), I will need 5 layers.....

Maybe I can get 12 grams of tungsten down the shaft and do a layer of lead tape on the sole.....

Ehhhh, I dunno... seems like a fools errand now.

Posted:

How heavy can you get an old Cameron Coronado?

Posted:

The Coronado looks like the same specs... which is strange because the head is a bit longer.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

I think you can get aftermarket cameron weights for like 40-50 grams. I'm assuming it sits at 330g with 5's, so you should be able to get it around 380g pretty easily.

Posted:

That's interesting. I'll do some more digging.

Thank u

Posted:

Ping vault zb 2.0 picking up a tour win today. FCB coming up a little short on champions tour

Posted:

I saw that. Good win for Andrew, hes a gritty dude. Freddy just didnt have it, unfortunately. Was he using the FCB, or the small mallet that he used a couple of times at the end of last season?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.