Any new reviews on the Garmin CT10?

I have the S20 and it seems to do pretty well on full swings w/o the CT10 but looking to add the 3 pack for short game tracking. The search brings up a few threads but mostly old. Anyone have anything, good or bad, to say about this? I read that the earlier versions were not so good. Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Sorry to see there is no feedback on this.

I was wondering the same thing. 

What is the value of the CT10, especially on the putter?

How often does it capture a putt?

How does Garmin know where the hole is? Can I edit post round?

Is the hole location based on where I pre pick it on my watch? If so, that seems terribly inaccurate for putt data purposes.

There is almost no information online about how this would work?

Maybe that tells me everything I need to know.

Edited by CFAnPEI

Hey. No worries. I ended up getting the 3 pack anyways. I can try to answer your questions with first hand experience.

What is the value of the CT10, especially on the putter? - When you set the sensor as a "putter" it increases the sensitivity so it can pick up the subtle movements of the putting stroke. I think it is here where the value is good because your watch can normally catch all full swings.

How often does it capture a putt? - Mine is pretty good. I can't recall it missing putts in any regularity. The device is not perfect by any means. If it senses that it missed a stroke, your watch will still ask you to confirm # of strokes and you can always go back into the app to adjust.

How does Garmin know where the hole is? Can I edit post round? - Garmin doesn't know where exactly the hole is. The sensors aren't really used for that. When used in conjunction with your watch, it will know (to however precise these things are) to where you took the shot (including putts).

Is the hole location based on where I pre pick it on my watch? If so, that seems terribly inaccurate for putt data purposes. - See above. Again, knowing exactly where the hole is is not that important for stat tracking. # of putts, how close you are etc can be done through the gps and sensors w/o knowing exactly where the hole location is.

You are correct, documentation on this is not too good other than how you use it. My thoughts above are purely based on using it for a while and not based on any documentation I've found that describes how stats are calculated, etc.

All in all, I like it. It is very helpful.

ok Thanks.

Interesting.

I was wondering how it determined if a putt was short, medium, long without knowing where the hole is (i see that as a stats screen in the app). But I guess it uses the GPS to determine things somewhat.

Once you have enough data, maybe there is some value to the data.

I was going to try it but my putter has a counterweight in the end and that sensor will not screw in there.

At the time, decided it wasn't worth the effort to try the CT10.

Maybe I will give it a try. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, CFAnPEI said:

ok Thanks.

Interesting.

I was wondering how it determined if a putt was short, medium, long without knowing where the hole is (i see that as a stats screen in the app). But I guess it uses the GPS to determine things somewhat.

Once you have enough data, maybe there is some value to the data.

I was going to try it but my putter has a counterweight in the end and that sensor will not screw in there.

At the time, decided it wasn't worth the effort to try the CT10.

Maybe I will give it a try. 

Thanks.

Ah yes, good question about length of putt. I do not know. I have some guesses but they are just that. I can make some assumptions if you do 2 or more putts but I'm as lost as you on if you 1 putt. 

That said, once you have enough stats, the app (phone or web) is pretty helpful. I'm a gadget geek and love stats so this fits the bill despite not truly knowing how accurate it is.

I have the Garmin MARQ Golfer, and it came with 3 CT10 sensors, I used them on two of my wedges this past weekend, I haven't been able to add it to my putter yet because I have a Flatcat Solution putter grip and there's no hole at the top (thinking of drilling one and installing the sensor). That being said, when I used my wedges, the sensor would automatically connect to my watch and detect when I've hit a shot. From my understanding, the sensors are mostly used for the auto-shot tracking feature, but instead of having to select what club you hit, since the sensor is connected to the watch, the watch knows what club you hit, and once you hit your next shot, it will record the distance of your previous shot since it has the location of where the ball landed.  My guess is, for the putter, maybe it uses some sort of combination of gps/directional data to determine whether you were long/short on a putt. For example, on your first putt, if you hit it long, for your second putt you'd technically be putting in a different direction, so maybe it uses that information to note down whether your putt was short or long? That's a completely wild guess though lol. 

I'm going to try and install the sensor on my putter in the next few days, and I'm playing again this coming weekend so will hopefully have some more feedback on how the putter sensor works after I use it. 

1 hour ago, raheelc said:

I have the Garmin MARQ Golfer, and it came with 3 CT10 sensors, I used them on two of my wedges this past weekend, I haven't been able to add it to my putter yet because I have a Flatcat Solution putter grip and there's no hole at the top (thinking of drilling one and installing the sensor). That being said, when I used my wedges, the sensor would automatically connect to my watch and detect when I've hit a shot. From my understanding, the sensors are mostly used for the auto-shot tracking feature, but instead of having to select what club you hit, since the sensor is connected to the watch, the watch knows what club you hit, and once you hit your next shot, it will record the distance of your previous shot since it has the location of where the ball landed.  My guess is, for the putter, maybe it uses some sort of combination of gps/directional data to determine whether you were long/short on a putt. For example, on your first putt, if you hit it long, for your second putt you'd technically be putting in a different direction, so maybe it uses that information to note down whether your putt was short or long? That's a completely wild guess though lol. 

I'm going to try and install the sensor on my putter in the next few days, and I'm playing again this coming weekend so will hopefully have some more feedback on how the putter sensor works after I use it. 

Yes, your assumption is what I thought of too which makes some sense. But what about 1 putts? That's where I fall flat.

That's the biggest flaw in the system, I feel.  If they would enable some ability to mimic what the Shotscope does with "Pin Capture", that would solve the biggest issue in accurate putting stats.  As long as there's no real metric for where the pin is, there is no way the putting data will be very good.  And adding that feature should be possible purely by adding functionality via software.  I don't understand why that feature isn't there, seems like a no brainer to be able to stand on a spot and click a button to tell the system where the pin is once you've holed out.

I have the S62 and CT10's in all the clubs, and other than that, it works very well.  Very few missed shots, very few shots recorded on practice swings, and very little editing needed after a round.  Sensors pair with very little issue.   The hardware is solid.

Now then..after all that...the Garmin Golf app itself is pretty weak.

• 1 year later...

My understanding of how the CT10 reads putting data is it separates your 1st putt into one of 3 categories: short <10’, medium 10-20’, and long >20’.  That information is according to the pin placement set on your watch, otherwise the default is center of the green.  Beyond that, it simply calculates a % of 1 putts, 2 putts and 3 putts from those three general categories based on your score reporting.. Useful but not particularly detailed.  You won’t get, for instance, a % of 6 footers made or missed.

I think you're right, which for me means the data is pretty useless.  I don't have any desire to try and navigate on the watch screen with my big fingers to try and approximate the general area of where the pin is on every hole, while I play.  Tedious, and even if I did, it would not be particularly accurate.  Garmin could solve everything about this issue with a simple click of the big red button while you're picking your ball up from the cup, pinpointing precisely where the hole is.  The competition does it, but Garmin won't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 7:28 AM, howaboutme said:

Hey. No worries. I ended up getting the 3 pack anyways. I can try to answer your questions with first hand experience.

What is the value of the CT10, especially on the putter? - When you set the sensor as a "putter" it increases the sensitivity so it can pick up the subtle movements of the putting stroke. I think it is here where the value is good because your watch can normally catch all full swings.

How often does it capture a putt? - Mine is pretty good. I can't recall it missing putts in any regularity. The device is not perfect by any means. If it senses that it missed a stroke, your watch will still ask you to confirm # of strokes and you can always go back into the app to adjust.

How does Garmin know where the hole is? Can I edit post round? - Garmin doesn't know where exactly the hole is. The sensors aren't really used for that. When used in conjunction with your watch, it will know (to however precise these things are) to where you took the shot (including putts).

Is the hole location based on where I pre pick it on my watch? If so, that seems terribly inaccurate for putt data purposes. - See above. Again, knowing exactly where the hole is is not that important for stat tracking. # of putts, how close you are etc can be done through the gps and sensors w/o knowing exactly where the hole location is.

You are correct, documentation on this is not too good other than how you use it. My thoughts above are purely based on using it for a while and not based on any documentation I've found that describes how stats are calculated, etc.

All in all, I like it. It is very helpful.

Are you happy with the purchase, these are a serious investment. 

6 hours ago, 3PuttPro said:

Are you happy with the purchase, these are a serious investment. 

I am happy with the purchase. The only maintenance is replacing the batteries every so often and that's not very often at all. They take abuse pretty well as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't tear up clubs but I don't gently set my clubs down knowing the CT10s are on. I drop them like any other clubs. The data has gotten better with each update but the putter metrics are still just a bit too coo-coo for me. I also don't putt out very often so that doesn't help. The connection to my phone's (android) Garmin Connect app is not always smooth. Sometimes I have to plug the watch in to get the data to sync to Garmin but that's not a huge deal. Just like before, there is some work you have to do post-round like deleting roque shots. It often picks up subtle movements. Not so much practice swings but what looks like bag movements (I carry most of the time). GPS works great as you would expect. The yardage for each club is pretty golden (even though I only have it 3 clubs but the watch takes care of the rest). Happy to answer any other questions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had the old Game Golf ones and used them for a season or two years ago, but sometimes I'd forget to tag the sensor, or it didn't read, and the embossed lettering on the tags wore off after rubbing in the base of the bag because hard plastic. 

Just bought a full set from the Garmin amazon store which is $50 less than buying direct from Garmin, and since my game has dropped about 8-10 strokes, will be interesting to see how these work/last. Especially since I don't have to tag them all the time. 

Edited by Imp
  • Like 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 1 month later...

I’m a Garmin S42 user and I rely on the Garmin Golf app for collecting distances and stats.

I recently found an eBay seller offering CT10 sensors and they accepted my offer price of $19 per. I bought four first and put them on the longest clubs in my bag. My logic was that I was going to use one of those four off almost every tee, so having the sensors will save me time entering club data on the app. 

The first batch of sensors has worked exactly as expected. One pleasant surprise is that the watch stopped asking me whether each tee shot landed in the fairway, left or right. It gets that automatically now from the sensor data. 

After that success I decided to order four more to add to my three most-used approach clubs and my putter. So now I have sensors on D, 3w, 7w, 4h, 9i, PW, AW and putter. 

This may seem a little insane, but I think it’ll achieve my two goals which are A) to reduce the amount of manual club entry needed for the Garmin Golf app and B) to minimize the amount of data I have to enter on my watch during a round. 

I’m also trying to work out the gapping in the short iron section of my bag and capturing my 9/PW/AW distances will help with that. 

I’ll be playing nine holes in the morning and will be curious to see how the putter sensor works. With any luck I can avoid having to enter the number of putts after each hole. If so the watch should just ask for my score and whether I had any penalty strokes. 

Obviously I’ll still have to go into the app and identify the shots I hit with clubs lacking sensors.

I may eventually get sensors for my wedges too, but it seems like that’d increase the number of mis-identified shots. I often carry two wedges and a putter to the green when I’ve missed it and may not know what my lie looks like. Garmin advises not to carry more than one sensor-equipped club in one hand to abound confusing the watch. I’d rather the technology adapt to me than the other way around. 

Edited by me05501

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

15 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I’m a Garmin S42 user and I rely on the Garmin Golf app for collecting distances and stats.

I recently found an eBay seller offering CT10 sensors and they accepted my offer price of $19 per. I bought four first and put them on the longest clubs in my bag. My logic was that I was going to use one of those four off almost every tee, so having the sensors will save me time entering club data on the app. 

The first batch of sensors has worked exactly as expected. One pleasant surprise is that the watch stopped asking me whether each tee shot landed in the fairway, left or right. It gets that automatically now from the sensor data. 

After that success I decided to order four more to add to my three most-used approach clubs and my putter. So now I have sensors on D, 3w, 7w, 4h, 9i, PW, AW and putter. 

This may seem a little insane, but I think it’ll achieve my two goals which are A) to reduce the amount of manual club entry needed for the Garmin Golf app and B) to minimize the amount of data I have to enter on my watch during a round. 

I’m also trying to work out the gapping in the short iron section of my bag and capturing my 9/PW/AW distances will help with that. 

I’ll be playing nine holes in the morning and will be curious to see how the putter sensor works. With any luck I can avoid having to enter the number of putts after each hole. If so the watch should just ask for my score and whether I had any penalty strokes. 

Obviously I’ll still have to go into the app and identify the shots I hit with clubs lacking sensors.

I may eventually get sensors for my wedges too, but it seems like that’d increase the number of mis-identified shots. I often carry two wedges and a putter to the green when I’ve missed it and may not know what my lie looks like. Garmin advises not to carry more than one sensor-equipped club in one hand to abound confusing the watch. I’d rather the technology adapt to me than the other way around. 

I've been using mine (only have P, SW and GW) for a while and I still like them. I still don't think the P is sensitive enough to get it right all, or even most, of the time. I still have to go into the app to correct things, delete shots that actually weren't shots, etc. Overall, if you understand you have to do some homework later, it's great! Good luck with yours.

Had my first round today with the putter sensor. I think it worked reasonably well. I noticed that it was connected to my watch a LOT. Every time I removed it from the bag it would connect, even when I was taking along a wedge to chip with after missing the green. It didn't count those chips as putts naturally since the putter was laying on the ground when I chipped. 

I think it probably makes sense to have sensors on my wedges now that the rest of the short end of my bag is equipped. I thought I could avoid buying a dozen or more of these things but I guess not. 🙂

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I did have one of the black discs fall out of the white mount in my bag. I replaced all the batteries in the sensors when I got them so I guess I didn't screw that one fully into the mount. 

My putter has a SuperStroke with their counterweight in the grip. I used some metal drill bits to bore out the screw mount on the top. Then I shaved the screw part of the putter sensor down to a more slender post and used club epoxy to mount it down into the counter weight. Works perfectly so far. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS