2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Geek versus Bang

Double Gee

I am wanting to get a second Driver - a back up to my Workshop Edition.

Higher loft ,shorter shaft etc - I am thinking of a Geek head but the more I see of them they look to me to be virtually the same as bang drivers.

I know there is a connection because the designer is the same guy, but, has anyone an opinion as to which is the better head ? Geek seems to be cheaper .....is there a reason for that!

Views all will be appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geek products are high quality.

Bang products are high quality.

Steve Almo left Bang and started Geek - the new designs at Geek have some things in common with the last designs he had involvement with at Bang.

The DCT 551 can be found cheap because it's non-conforming in all lofts except 12 degrees and is being closed out.

The 551 and Fail Safe 3 are the current models of driver, and in fact the FS3 is more expensive than any head that Bang offers.

-t

Steve creates a great driver head. I recently used the Fail Safe 3 in 9* with a HOF Patriot shaft to win the Ft. Benning qualifier for the Military Long Drive contest. It is a very forgiving head, and it also packs a lifetime warranty. If you ever break the head, Steve will give you a new one for free. There is no one year warranty as with OEM clubs. I will be changing to the DCT 7.5* and 8.5* head because I hit the 9* with too much spin and too high of a launch. You won't be disappointed with this head.

Steve creates a great driver head. I recently used the Fail Safe 3 in 9* with a HOF Patriot shaft to win the Ft. Benning qualifier for the Military Long Drive contest. It is a very forgiving head, and it also packs a lifetime warranty. If you ever break the head, Steve will give you a new one for free. There is no one year warranty as with OEM clubs. I will be changing to the DCT 7.5* and 8.5* head because I hit the 9* with too much spin and too high of a launch. You won't be disappointed with this head.

Now you have highlighted my concerns - you are obviously a big hitting 'monster' .... where as I am a 90 mph 10 handicap club golfer looking for a forgiving 250 yards, straight club!!! (arent we all)

Bang I know is a long hitters head.. seems that Geek will be the same.

There is no truth to the rumor that heads are designed for "big hitters" and are not designed for the rest of us.

The difference is in loft...

With a 90 mph clubhead speed, you don't play a 7.5 degree driver.

With a 120 mph clubhead speed, you don't play a 12 degree driver.

High quality heads are high quality heads at any loft.

-t

There is no truth to the rumor that heads are designed for "big hitters" and are not designed for the rest of us.

The difference is in loft...

With a 90 mph clubhead speed, you don't play a 7.5 degree driver.

With a 120 mph clubhead speed, you don't play a 12 degree driver.

High quality heads are high quality heads at any loft.

-t

Thanx Thewitt - today I ordered the 12 degree DCT 551 with a Prolaunch shaft 44inch. Hope this is going to be a fun combo to hit.

Now you have highlighted my concerns - you are obviously a big hitting 'monster' .... where as I am a 90 mph 10 handicap club golfer looking for a forgiving 250 yards, straight club!!! (arent we all)

Bang I know is a long hitters head.. seems that Geek will be the same.

Geek is not just for big hitters. There are plenty of guys that I know of that hit the 10.5* and 12* heads, but don't have swings much over the 80-90 mph swing speed. Remember that the shaft is the true engine of the club, and the head would be considered the rest of the car. The head is going to be forgiving and be a determining factor is the spin rate, but the shaft will be more influencial in launch angle, dispersion, and a bit of influence on the spin rate. You can't go wrong with either head, but it may be a bit of research as to which shaft will work for you.

I wouldn't buy one of those Geek drivers just out of spite for the horrible marketing campaign. Good lord. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen any marketing to speak of. I agree that the website is a wee bit different, but I wanna see the marketing. I like the Bang Mellow Yellow 420 and Bangenstein heads as well as both Geeks. And I will need a new driver soon. Marketing isn't the only thing, but it's fun to read!

Ping Rapture 14 Stiff Saishin (sp)
Ping Rapture 21 vs Proto Stiff
Ping Zing 4-SW Stiff
Ping Eye 2 Plus LW
Ping Cadence B65

Geek has marketing?

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Got my DCT 551 today, but real bad weather is gonna stop me going out and trying it for the next few days.

Has anyone got both the DCT 551 and FS3 ...... if so, how do they compare against one another in terms of spin, launch forgiveness etc ?

i SEE SOMEONE ALREADY HAS POSTED ABOUT DCT V. FS3 ... but mine is the 551 model.

The DCT and the 551 are virtually the same. Steve came out with the 551 after Mike Dobbyns hit a 551 yard drive in a Harmon Tour Event in Vegas. In doing so, he changed the paint to black, the graphics on the bottom of the club to say 551 and apparently in the process, the distance from the center axis of the shaft to the heel (the furthest point from that center-line) increased past the USGA legal limit by .015" (about 4 hair thicknesses). That's why all the 551's are non-conforming, except the 12 degree for some reason.

I have a 551 that is 10 degrees (Steve picked it out for me as it is marked as a 9 degree head). I have learned that it is a head that is meant to make contact with the ball lower than many other drivers, so don't try to hit it real high on the face. You will find (once the weather clears) that it is a very forgiving head and shots that make contact with the face toward the heel and the toe are both long shots still. I took a Callaway X460 out of the bag once I got my 551 and have not looked back. Some of my longest drives recently have been when I didn't hit the ball in the sweet-spot, but high and toward the tow or high and toward the heel. It's nice to have your misses go that far! Also, you will learn the sound of the driver as it sounds totally different when you do hit the sweet-spot than an off-center hit. So, when you are watching your ball sail away, you will know if you got it all or if you have more to get next time just by the sound.

chrisfx811, the head I got from Steve was 205g. I think they are typically around 200g, but I asked for a slightly heavy head and that's all he could do. It has been said that long-drive guys like the heads to be on the light side, so he has made sure to keep them light. Don't know if that's just a rumor or not though.

Darn, I got all excited when I saw this topic because I misread the title and thought it was:

"Greek vs Regular Bang"

Hmmm....wrong forum for that topic, I guess.

:good: :hi: :grin: :cheesy: :deadhorse:

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

Weight tolerance is generally +/- 2g. I just checked inventory and I have several 200g heads. It's possible that Geek can pick a heavier head through a dealer's special order - though in general it would be out of spec at 205g.

Any competent dealer can easily add a few grams of weight though the hosel with rat glue however - and any competent clubmaker can easily add up to 9g in a tip weight during assembly without any issues whatsoever.

-t

• 11 years later...

Reviving an old thread here: the Bang Mellow Yellow 420 is a fantastic head still today in 2020. Just built a semi-long driver (I'm not a long hitter, normal driver swing speed is about 92 mph) using this MY420, which I chose mostly because of the flatter lie angle. Used a Vizion LD50 S-flex tipped an inch, finished and gripped length just under 47", counterweighted. This combination is incredibly long. Of course, I'm still getting used to the extra 2" of playing length I'm not used to, therefore leaving a few flared out to the right, but dispersion is tightening up with experience. I'm big on sound and this sounds/feels very clean, crisp and solid, no funny sounding tin cans here. Oh yeah, you can see yourself in the chrome face. It's a gorgeous head with clean lines and a classic shape. The slightly closed face is not noticeable and appears square at address. Absolutely build this one if you are on the fence.

I played the original Bang-o-Matic when it came out and it was long and forgiving. Played it for almost 13 years before it finally cracked. Kick myself in the a$$ all the time for not buying a back up head, best driver I ever had. And before someone asks as stated above Steve left Bang and started Geek golf. The Bang clubs were never the same since and for whatever reason the Geek clubs didn't appeal to me.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag