2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

who else hates the ust proforce gold 65??

uwedinho

i bought a titleist 983k 9.5 driver from ebay and it came with a stiff proforce gold 65 (tip stiff) shaft. it says low torque on it as well. and i was always an ok driver...but when i start swinging this guy...i just can't control it...but i am absolutely fine when i go back to my r7 limited with the aldila nvs stiff flex....

they are both stiff flex but they are soo different in the feel...is anyone else having problem with this shaft? or is it most likely my own problem?

please let me know what u guys think about the shaft as well. thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just switched from an R5 with the NVS stiff shaft to an R7 limited with the proforce 65 shaft. Haven't been able to play it yet, weather just finally breaking here in michigan. I have hit a dozen or so out on to my frozen lake a couple of weeks ago. For the first swings of the year- my ball fly was a touch lower than with the R5, but my little draw was still there. I bought it prior to getting fitted for my new AP2's, and checking my swing speed, but was just trying to closely match what I was familiar with. I think it will work out just fine, my ss with driver is 118-120, but should drop a hair when I start playing and trying to hit fairways instead of ripping them off the range. I can't wait to get out and play my new sticks.....

I just switched from an R5 with the NVS stiff shaft to an R7 limited with the proforce 65 shaft. Haven't been able to play it yet, weather just finally breaking here in michigan. I have hit a dozen or so out on to my frozen lake a couple of weeks ago. For the first swings of the year- my ball fly was a touch lower than with the R5, but my little draw was still there. I bought it prior to getting fitted for my new AP2's, and checking my swing speed, but was just trying to closely match what I was familiar with. I think it will work out just fine, my ss with driver is 118-120, but should drop a hair when I start playing and trying to hit fairways instead of ripping them off the range. I can't wait to get out and play my new sticks.....

I think you probably have a V2 in your Limited. OP is talking about the original Proforce Gold with the purple lettering. Although if you did find a Limited with the original Proforce in it, that's certainly an interesting combo.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

"think you probably have a V2 in your Limited. OP is talking about the original Proforce Gold with the purple lettering. Although if you did find a Limited with the original Proforce in it, that's certainly an interesting combo."

Yep- as soon as I hit the reply button, I was wondering if I had read his post correctly.... mine is the V2...

sorry for lack of comprehension :russian_roulette:

The UST GOLD 65 is Amazing! I play a lighter flex than you but try hard stepping a R-flex if you feel like staying with that shaft still. But this is my favorite shaft in the bag!!! the V2's are great but this shaft feels stiffer and more stable.

My ball flight is pretty high so this shaft allows me to pummeling low and have it roll out. and I can still hit a high fade whenever but I really use that shot since they invented teh 3wood ;)

but if the shaft doesn't work go get a different one! you never know, the shaft is only 40 bucks so you wont well it for much so you might as well keep it as a back up.

I love the UST Gold 65, try using a 3/4 swing on it and maybe you'll load it differently and start connecting with the shaft.

i made one adjustment and i can hit it straight and long. i moved hte ball back in my stance. thats all i did...but i dont need to do this with my other drivers...whats up with this? so when i want ot hit it high, i can't move the ball back up my stance then....cause i will screw up....actually, being able to hit it now, with the ball back in the stance, IMO this shaft is not bad~

I play the NV -x in my driver and the ust proforce x in my 3 wood (and an old driver). My perspective....

The NV is feels lighter and more responsive without giving up the stiffness. I can choke it and swing it slower for lower ball flight into the wind pretty effectively.

The Ust feels heavier and is less responsive (a little stiffer). Although I think it is a pretty good shaft - I can really only swing it one way.

My preference is the NV.

Interestingly I would have thought your response would have been that you hit it pretty straight -but don't like the feel.

I really like the proforce gold... especially considering how long they have been around. I played on in my sub $20 driver setup I had awhile back (Free Shaft pull from my dad, and a $13 head from golfsmith) it actually was a fairly decent combo. Bought 3 of them on ebay for a total of like $24 + shipping, put two of them in fairway woods for my dad and have one more sitting around.

Not the best shaft out there, but definitely not too horrible.

These shafts are great I have them in my superquad and nike sumo2 4 wood. They produce nice mid tragectory with excellent control. Tip stiff provides me with more roll as well compared to the mid tip stock shafts that the superquad came with.

Yes they aren't the latest technology but for the price and control they certainly fit my eye!!!

Cheers,

Chris

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbo 9*
Srixon ZTX 16* Hybrid
Srixon ZTX 19* Hybrid
Srixon Z585 4-PW
Odyssey White Hot #7 34
Cleveland CBX 50*54*58*

You are absolutely right, the Pro Force 65 gold is one of the most overrated and least playable shafts ever. I got it about 10 yrs ago in a Titleist driver. I'm a daily swimmer & 3x/wk. basketball player with a good late release and still found this shaft to be pure board. My guess is you have to have Steve Garvey forearms to make it work. If you're not worried about appearances and just want a shaft that works every time for real humans, get the EI-70+ or EI-70 II in stiff. It's the Honda Accord of wood shafts.

I had one in a 320 Tour years ago and I used to kill it. Haven't tried one since though.

Ive had several original Proforce 65 (and 75) shafts in various drivers, always had a good experience. Seem to suit my swing.

However, Ive had two V2 shafts and I cant stand them. Low hooks left, cant figure it out. Ive tried stiff and regular.

I agree totally with both of these posts. The shaft was probably designed for clubs that are not 460 heads.

Ive had several original Proforce 65 (and 75) shafts in various drivers, always had a good experience. Seem to suit my swing.

However, Ive had two V2 shafts and I cant stand them. Low hooks left, cant figure it out. Ive tried stiff and regular.

Totally agree about the v2,just can't seem to make it work for me.

The proforce 65 is still the shaft i use most although i have tried plenty of others,and best of all you can get them real cheap nowadays,golfshaftsdepot are selling them for $14.99. :partytime2:

• 8 years later...

Love this shaft. Had it in a 350cc tommy armour titanium

I have this exact club sitting in my basement. Got it from Dunhams almost 15 years ago! LOL. I wonder if it goes any farther than the 280 it used to... i only stopped playing it when the 400+CC stuff came out, but have to wonder what it would be like to revisit it.

Funny this thread came back to life today. Ive got an old Tour Edge 375cc driver with a PF Gold 65 that I took to the range today. I can still hit it just as far as anything else. I picked up a new PF Gold 65 from Dicks today and gonna try it in a few driver heads. The old club just loads perfectly for me and I either hit it dead straight or about a 10 yd draw. Im sure the new one doesnt feel the same. The old one is listed at 2.8 torque, new one is 3.4.

Funny this thread came back to life today. Ive got an old Tour Edge 375cc driver with a PF Gold 65 that I took to the range today. I can still hit it just as far as anything else. I picked up a new PF Gold 65 from Dicks today and gonna try it in a few driver heads. The old club just loads perfectly for me and I either hit it dead straight or about a 10 yd draw. Im sure the new one doesnt feel the same. The old one is listed at 2.8 torque, new one is 3.4.

Half the reason I posted was because I pulled mine from that Armour club I mentioned above for it to be made into a 3w shaft.