I am furious

first golf match...
So we had our first golf match today and we were playing a really easy team so I knew it would be cake. The only person I was concentrating on beating was another kid on my golf team. I was playing #1 and him #2 so I knew it would be close. So when we get in I am happy because I knew I beat him by 1 as I shot 39 and him 40. But low and behold we get into the clubhouse and he turns in a 39. He blew up on #7 and 8 with 5 over on those two holes and was one under going into them. I was extremely angry that he would do that, I know its because he cant lose to a sophomore and a kid smaller than him. He also got extremely lucky all day getting three good bounces instead of being deep in the woods. So my dad (who was watching me) and I went over it about 5 times and sure enough he got an 8 but put down a 7. I was happy I beat him and could medal the first match but he cheated so we tied...

Anything like this happen to any of you?

...by now I have put it behind me and wont let it get under my skin because I know his day will come where those kind of things come back to bite him in the butt

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really can't cop it when guys blatantly cheat like that. I just have to pull them on about it.

This happened to a friend of mine once. We were playing with a guy who had a reputation for saying he had 4 when he really had 5, and my friend was marking the guy's card. It had happened a couple of times early in the round, but my friend gave him the benefit of the doubt and just recounted the shots up with him and he's like "oh, yeah, sorry, I forgot that one" or "Oops, I missed a shot there".

Then, on about the 13th or 14th hole, after it had happened 2 or 3 times, the guy hit it in the trees and racked up and 9. Conversation went something like:

"What did you have there?"

"Seven"

"Try again."

"What?"

"Try again, and if you get it wrong this time you're disqualified."

"Oh, oh. Sorry, I had an 9"

Not alot of conversation for the last few holes, I can tell you.

TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 9* Even Flow Blue 60X
Taylor Made Sim 2 Ti 15* Tensei 80 S
Srixon ZX Utility 3 Diamana Thump X

Srixon ZX5 4-7 Nippon NS Pro 120X

Srixon ZX7 8-A Nippon NS Pro 120X

Mizuno T22 56, 60 KBS C-Taper 120S
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red

bro thats the first rule of team golf... IF YOU NEED THE POINT YOU KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Last year we needed the point and we knew our 5th guy shot horrible therefore when he turned in a 53 it wasnt farfetched until he told me he really shot 59. I didnt get pissed.. we won so you know what man if its good for the team so be it. Hes only cheating himself.

Actually, no he's cheating the hole team. And I for one would rather lose and be honest then win and be a cheater.

sorry about that, I was out of line to say that cheating is ok I dont know why I even said it. I dont think it is ok which is why I put this post up. I guess I wasnt thinking right and completely agree with you matt. I hope you guys dont think I approve of cheating I didnt know what i was saying. I am sorry about it and didnt mean it at all.

My high school team had some problems with cheating, and the coach, athletic director, and other administrators didn't care despite the fact that I brought it up multiple times.

My sophomore year was particularly bad. As a freshman we had a really solid, experienced team (5 senior starters), so as a sophomore there was going to be a step back. Well, enough guys blatantly cheated (how do you three putt a par 3, and make par?), that I got cut in the first wave - despite playing as a freshman. Lo and behold, when there is another team counting scores, the team can bearly break 90, and go winless in the conference despite winning the Conference and Regional the year before.

Cheating in golf, especially junior / high school golf infurates me, and it infuriates me when the coaches / administrators allow it to take place.

Ok....(off my soapbox)

-Thomas

bro thats the first rule of team golf... IF YOU NEED THE POINT YOU KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! Last year we needed the point and we knew our 5th guy shot horrible therefore when he turned in a 53 it wasnt farfetched until he told me he really shot 59. I didnt get pissed.. we won so you know what man if its good for the team so be it. Hes only cheating himself.

He's not only cheating himself. He's cheating the opponents and thus if you accept that you are cheating by association.

Josh

OMAR this is rediculous ive lost complete and total respect for you. the absolute worst this in the world is cheating you are not only cheatly your self your cheating the other guys and buy you congaulating him for cheating if obserd... this is absolutly rediculous. i dont think i could live w/ myself if i cheated or did what you did.

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!!!!!

Hey guy,

I know this is a little OT but I have a rules question.....

At our Junior Club Championship last year, this kid I was playing with hit his ball way into the trees, and it was right beside a sign, and the sign was in his swing, he's my little picture to help explain what happened...........

What should of happened, really curious. When I told him we would ask the pro what the ruling should be, he quickly said that he would take a 1 stroke penalty.

BTW- He won in a playoff :)

Todd

Actually, no he's cheating the hole team. And I for one would rather lose and be honest then win and be a cheater.

I can't believe you two guys are ok with this. Have some class. If the other team beat you, go practice and get better. Flomarilius and golfr03, how can anyone respect you two after those comments. Is this is what junior golf is like today? Shameful.

I completely agree with both of you!

i have seen alot of cheating latly and it need to stop. when i see someone cheat (it may be harsh) i make sure they do not post that score!

plz see my new topic!

It's high school golf. It doesn't mean anything. If it was an AJGA event or USGA qualifier, call him out on it and take it to the rules comittee. Otherwise, just drop it. High school golf is a joke.

M2 Speeder 63 Tour Spec
Idea Pro 18* and 23*
TaylorMade MC 4-PW
Milled Grind 52* and 58*
Spider Tour Black

ok so ive got another story for you guys....

on are high school team this year we had a match agianst havasu. me and my best friend were playing one and two (i forgot who was 1 and who was 2) i shot 36 he shot 37 and havasu was up by like 5 coming into the #5 groups....are five guy sucks so we were like well we did alright. turns out bobby comes in and says he shot 37! we won by 3 or 4 but boby does not shoot 37 so me and brenden (my best friend) were sitting next to everyone and brenden heard bobby say he shot 37 so brenden said in a loudenought voice for every to hear "your such a cheater bbby you didnt shoot 37"

:) :tongue:

i found that great.

the point is if your teamates cheat and you know and dont do nething about it your cheating to!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT CHEAT OR SOPPORT IT!!!!!!

It's high school golf. It doesn't mean anything. If it was an AJGA event or USGA qualifier, call him out on it and take it to the rules comittee. Otherwise, just drop it. High school golf is a joke.

how can you say that! i undestand that matches dont mean ne thing but come time for regionals or state compotions gets good well at least in az.. and either way if you dont call him out when he cheats he will ceap doing it later in life...if he doesnt learn his leason he will keap cheating himself and others.

We had a kid on our team who cheated and his dad was the coach. When he finally cheated in a match, his dad actually called him out on it! It was quite a site to see, but needed to be done. Honesty always repays you in some way.Golf makes you either a better person or an even more apt to cheating, you just have to decide how you will take it

"It's high school golf. It doesn't mean anything. If it was an AJGA event or USGA qualifier, call him out on it and take it to the rules comittee. Otherwise, just drop it. High school golf is a joke."

Not just high school golf, it's the time of life when we see the most growth and development in our character and social skills. The rules of golf, the history of the sport, the fact that it is one of the few true gentlemens games left in this world make it anything but a joke. And the fact that these kids will one day be running this country makes it vital that they learn now how important character is.

Baker -

Awesome on the part of the father/coach. Lot of those who are supporting cheating could learn a thing or 2 from that man.

why don't you just mark him down for whatever score they "say" that they shot and then at the bottom tally what they really shot... then, you have them sign the scorecard, on which they will see their cheat score... but you can DQ them because they lied about what they really scored???

This whole topic about cheaters really irks me...

You guys are pretty much all in what Jr HS/HS???... why don't you try and jump-start puberty, grow some hair on your chest, and actually call somebody out???

If i heard of someone complaining about how this person cheated and then person did this and that and blah blah blah i'd probably smack someone upside the head.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!

but instead you guys rant online about how YOU should have been the one to post a 90 in the HS sectional instead of the guy who cheated... c'mon guys, let's be realistic here... grow a couple

-kyle

yea, i wouldn't get so ticked at your team but more at the other. we have had a few arguements on our golf team vs. other teams and ppl are so freaking stupid when you try to tell them that's not what they got like this idiot missed a lil tap in on one hole and we had to walk him through that hole like 8 times before he got it then we asked his bud on his team and he's like yea dude they're right so we won that one just after the other kid "forgot" that he had to drop his ball after hitting into the water. YEA RIGHT. i mean how do u forget. so that was 2 shots they lied about that we got back but we still lost.

kyle i belive that getting them dq-ed is a dramtic reality check. they will learn the leason the hard way and most likely change there ways. for the record i am a hs soph. i also belive i have been raised the right way and have a good head on my shoulders. some times calling someone out is not the proper way to handle the situation. although some times calling someone out can be the right way to handle it i belive they will learn much better if they learned it the hard way.

and also your last line (unless i am missinterpeting) implys that soem of us are cheaters and or whining online w/o doing ne thing.

first: i am very proud to say that i have never cheated before and never will.

second: i do take a stand on cheating and i am NOT whining about nething. although i may not take a stand the way you might i am taking a stand and i feel by posting in this topic may change some people if they do cheat (witch i dont think many people that respect the game do)

take care

-andrew

how can you say that! i undestand that matches dont mean ne thing but come time for regionals or state compotions gets good well at least in az.. and either way if you dont call him out when he cheats he will ceap doing it later in life...if he doesnt learn his leason he will keap cheating himself and others.

No kidding! So what if it's high school golf. By allowing cheating in high school golf, you're basically saying that it's O.K. to cheat. Period. End of story. There's no "Oh well it's not serious." I guarantee anyone who takes golf halfway seriously doesn't want to lose. I know I don't. What's the first question you ask your teammates when you finish? Probably you say "What'd you shoot?" or something to that effect. While we all say that scores don't really matter as long as you have fun we all know that's a load of bull hocky. We ask what people shoot so that we can pump up our own egos. I know I'm guilty of it. Cheating anywhere isn't right. If you let people cheat in golf, what happens when they grow up? Can anyone say "insider trading?"

Condoning cheating is just as bad as insider trading. What'd Martha get for lying to a grand jury about that? P-R-I-S-O-N. I say call the kid on it. Maybe just confront him away from the coach and let him know that he could hurt your entire team. Cheating is one of those things that really peaves me (I'm sure you can tell by this post). I don't care if I play with someone and they shoot 130. I could care less. If they honestly shot 130, fine. If they cheated and shot 130, then I have a problem. All I can say is that cheating in high school golf is serious. It could lead to full team disqualification from tournaments. Just take the extra strokes. No one cares if you shoot an honest score in the long run. People aren't going to remember three years from now if you shoot 95 in a tournament. They will remember if they caught you skimming strokes. Just don't do it. That is my rant for the day.

Are we talking about lying about scores or about cheating? I consider cheating pretending to find a ball that they just dropped or other situations like that. I think lying about scores is very easy to deal with. If you know someone got more or less strokes than they said in a match just go through their strokes with them right after the hole. Cheating can be harder to catch because unless you follow your opponent everywhere its hard to really prove. Saying the wrong score for a hole once every couple rounds I can see as an just an innocent mistake thats easily corrected, although if it you have to go over every score after each hole isn't acceptable.

I see lying about your score and mysteriously always finding your ball on the edge of the woods with a perfect shot at the green to be one in the same.

Is it easier to catch someone lying about their score? Yes, but reminding someone that it costs a stroke to take an unplayable gets old after the third or fourth time.

I don't understand how someone can condone cheating in golf - at any level - and say that its not a big deal. Golf is a game of honor, where players call penalties on themselves, and it continues as a game of honor because there is respect for the game, and I don't see that respect among many juniors and high school players.

-Thomas

So about when you said if you say a wrong score once every few rounds, well this was not the case. This kid has an ego and couldnt swallow the triple bogey he made, and I watched him when he said his score and when the kid asked he got real stiff and red in the face, then shakily said 7. Right there I wanted to start telling him off but held back and confronted him the next day.

were still in the stage where coach hasnt made cuts, and its amazing how many kids cheat. Many have a hot pencil, and some, maybe by accident, just do things that are againts the rules. I dont really care, because i know my spot is safe on the varsity team, but its just stupid.

i think the thing to do, at least with younger kids on the team, is be cool towards the ones that are honost, and against the ones who cheat. That way, they see, "well even if i shoot 52 honestly, theyll like me more than a cheating 46." something like that.

as far as the orignal post, i hope you kick his Word not allowed next time out. so that 1 stroke wont mean a thing