2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Miura vs. KZG vs. Tourstage vs. Epon vs. Srixon etc...

gmorgan

I'm currently playing a set of srixon i 302's which feel really sweet. However, the faces are getting pretty worn out. I am interested in purchasing a new set of custome irons. I am looking for a set of players irons with some forgiveness. Preferably some sort of Cb....Any info about feel and workability would be appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='gmorgan' post='1927698' date='Sep 1 2009, 05:35 PM']I'm currently playing a set of srixon i 302's which feel really sweet. However, the faces are getting pretty worn out. I am interested in purchasing a new set of custome irons. I am looking for a set of players irons with some forgiveness. Preferably some sort of Cb....Any info about feel and workability would be appreciated. Thanks[/quote]

Sounds just like what you have! I'd find another set of I302's in good condition. I"ve strayed twice but came back to the 302's, nothing feels as good and I seem to score better with these than anything else.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Price wise the KZG's will be your best deal, I have had 701 tours, MR-23 blades and CB's, KZG blades and they all were good, to me the Tourstages were the softest. I would highly recommend trying the Tour Edge Exotics CNC forged, they can be bought for really cheap on ebay and to me they feel just as soft as Tourstage and the quality control on the Exotics are amazing.

[quote name='deakanutz' post='1927754' date='Sep 1 2009, 06:02 PM']Check out the KZG Tour Evolutions they are a progressive cavity set forged in Japan and beautiful. But I am biased.[/quote]
I've played most of what KZG has had to offer and they all feel great. The Tour EVOs are really good if you have the game for them. Less offset helps those who simply don't need it. The regular EVOs are very good with a little offset. But the feel on their forged offerings are excellent and their cast are really quite good as well. Total custom and a price point that is hard to beat made these a winner to me.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Love my Epon's....

You could mix and match from an AF901 for 2/3 iron and 4 iron replacements, to 301's and/or 501's and to the blade AF_tours depending on how you'd prefer to balance feel against forgiveness. The blades and 301's are both same 'normal' modern loft progression (ie 8 irons are 38 deg with 4 degree gaps up/down), just the undercut 501's are 2 degrees stronger though.....

coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

Have your given any though to the Bridgestone J36 line? They are going for super cheap on eBay right now. I bought the J36 Combos and LOVE them. Best feeling forged club I have every hit (list includes: Titleist, Mizuno, Srixon, Miura, Tommy Armour, TaylorMade).

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

In case you're a club ho that flips product, you should know that KZGs in general don't hold resale value well, as they're not on the average golfers' radar. I'm in no ways dissing their stuff. It's just that people don't see the name on hats or bags on tour, so in their minds, how good could they really be?

"K-who? Is that K-Mart's house brand?"

That being said, I've never regretted getting mine, and am not inclined to flip them. Folks who know, realize they're the real deal, and as previously stated, you can often get a custom set for less than OEMs off-the-rack.

[quote name='gmorgan' post='1934775' date='Sep 5 2009, 02:10 AM']I am pretty interested in those wishon clubs. What else can you tell me about them? What's a new set run with some project x shafts?[/quote]

Depends on who you go to. They can run you as little as $85 and as much as $115. I have a set of the 555 combo series and they ran me close to $700. That price included white, Iomic grips and matching ferrules. It will probably run you considerably less as the grips were close to $140.

Two people that I would recommend:

Chip Usher at Chipandputt.com
Brandon Collier at TheMobileGolfLab.com

Of course, you can always ask Joe Kwok, too.

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

[quote name='muddawg1' post='1929119' date='Sep 2 2009, 03:13 PM']Look into Wishon Golf products! I have a set of the 560mc's & they are unbeatable in the forgiving cavity back category.[/quote]

+1. Just got fit for a set of 560MC's myself. They are superb irons.

[attachment=462103:wisho006.jpg]

[attachment=462104:wish005.jpg]

[attachment=462102:wish001.jpg]

I've never had the same the same attitude towards clubs after I read Wishon's book. It really is a must for anyone considering new clubs and looking for the utmost performance in their clubs. The message is basically; the best clubs are those that are fitted by a professional and made by a professional. If you're in a position to take advantage of such facilities DO !! I realize not everyone can. But buying off the shelf can be a bit of a lottery, depending on what you're after.
I've tried a fair few OEM's of the rack, but have never been a satisfied or confident as with my KZG Evolutions. Great feel and look, (as i'm sure all the above mentioned do) but IMHO the clincher was the fitting. People like different feels and looks, this is a matter of personal preference, but the quality and feel are hard to beat/right up there with the best from what I've tried. Went to the KZG headquarters in Burbank,and they had great launch monitor/simulator set up, plus I could try lots of head and shaft combos. Not everyone is situated to take advantage like this I know.
Over the years, I went from Ping eye 2's to some pro II's and then MP33's, even dabbled with blades with some re-shafts in between. When the club builders looked at my set up I was amazed at the inconsistencies of the off the shelf stuff on a couple of occassions; both in flex and loft, including my highly touted rifle flighted FCM's which were way off. The specs on all my KZG's were spot on (they gave me the build sheet) with spine alignment and CPM frequency matching throughout the shafts, which is a crucial element to feel and most importantly consistancy. The cost for the irons incl the fitting was equivalent to top line OEMs off the rack.
If I could have taken the same fitting options with Epon or Muira, etc., I'm sure i would be equally as happy, they look beautiful and hear great things about the feel.
just my $.02

[quote name='screaming eagle' post='1959106' date='Sep 18 2009, 04:05 PM']I've never had the same the same attitude towards clubs after I read Wishon's book. It really is a must for anyone considering new clubs and looking for the utmost performance in their clubs. The message is basically; the best clubs are those that are fitted by a professional and made by a professional. If you're in a position to take advantage of such facilities DO !! I realize not everyone can. But buying off the shelf can be a bit of a lottery, depending on what you're after.
I've tried a fair few OEM's of the rack, but have never been a satisfied or confident as with my KZG Evolutions. Great feel and look, (as i'm sure all the above mentioned do) but IMHO the clincher was the fitting. People like different feels and looks, this is a matter of personal preference, but the quality and feel are hard to beat/right up there with the best from what I've tried. Went to the KZG headquarters in Burbank,and they had great launch monitor/simulator set up, plus I could try lots of head and shaft combos. Not everyone is situated to take advantage like this I know.
Over the years, I went from Ping eye 2's to some pro II's and then MP33's, even dabbled with blades with some re-shafts in between. When the club builders looked at my set up I was amazed at the inconsistencies of the off the shelf stuff on a couple of occassions; both in flex and loft, including my highly touted rifle flighted FCM's which were way off. The specs on all my KZG's were spot on (they gave me the build sheet) with spine alignment and CPM frequency matching throughout the shafts, which is a crucial element to feel and most importantly consistancy. The cost for the irons incl the fitting was equivalent to top line OEMs off the rack.
If I could have taken the same fitting options with Epon or Muira, etc., I'm sure i would be equally as happy, they look beautiful and hear great things about the feel.
just my $.02[/quote]

Who built your KZG irons?

Think it was Bob who actually built them and I was fitted by Steve who was really patient and thorough and went above and beyond with his time. This was 12-18 months ago and I dont know if the staff are still the same. This was not only my experience but I sent a mate down there as well and got the same treatment. Can I ask why you're asking ?

[quote name='screaming eagle' post='1959239' date='Sep 18 2009, 05:21 PM']Think it was Bob who actually built them and I was fitted by Steve who was really patient and thorough and went above and beyond with his time. This was 12-18 months ago and I dont know if the staff are still the same. This was not only my experience but I sent a mate down there as well and got the same treatment. Can I ask why you're asking ?[/quote]

I have always liked KZG's irons, and I didn't know that they built irons themselves at their headquarters in L.A. I get out there occasionally, so now I can consider going there for a fitting and to have a set built. Thanks for the information.

[quote name='greenpiece' post='1959959' date='Sep 18 2009, 09:11 PM'][quote name='screaming eagle' post='1959239' date='Sep 18 2009, 05:21 PM']Think it was Bob who actually built them and I was fitted by Steve who was really patient and thorough and went above and beyond with his time. This was 12-18 months ago and I dont know if the staff are still the same. This was not only my experience but I sent a mate down there as well and got the same treatment. Can I ask why you're asking ?[/quote]

I have always liked KZG's irons, and I didn't know that they built irons themselves at their headquarters in L.A. I get out there occasionally, so now I can consider going there for a fitting and to have a set built. Thanks for the information.
[/quote]

Its a pretty sweet set up. I guess its as close to pro treatment as we 'civilians' could get from my experience. I've done tour vans, the big retailers and some smaller club makers among others, their facilities don't even come close to the KZG HQ IMHO . The Nova Tech shafts are unreal, developed by the same guy as did Rifle but with better quality control, and a must if you're looking for CPM matching with spine alignment throughout your set. I'd never heard of them before going there and preferred them to my original factory Rifles before TT bought them. Again personal preference but if you're going, check em out, I love mine.

[quote name='screaming eagle' post='1960960' date='Sep 19 2009, 06:52 PM'][quote name='greenpiece' post='1959959' date='Sep 18 2009, 09:11 PM'][quote name='screaming eagle' post='1959239' date='Sep 18 2009, 05:21 PM']Think it was Bob who actually built them and I was fitted by Steve who was really patient and thorough and went above and beyond with his time. This was 12-18 months ago and I dont know if the staff are still the same. This was not only my experience but I sent a mate down there as well and got the same treatment. Can I ask why you're asking ?[/quote]

[/quote]

Its a pretty sweet set up. I guess its as close to pro treatment as we 'civilians' could get from my experience. I've done tour vans, the big retailers and some smaller club makers among others, their facilities don't even come close to the KZG HQ IMHO . The Nova Tech shafts are unreal, developed by the same guy as did Rifle but with better quality control, and a must if you're looking for CPM matching with spine alignment throughout your set. I'd never heard of them before going there and preferred them to my original factory Rifles before TT bought them. Again personal preference but if you're going, check em out, I love mine.
[/quote]

Thanks. I definitely will check out the Nova Tech shafts.

701 TOUR

I am happy with it and just bought a set of heads in case I need new set again

Tried everything out there and can't find anything better for me

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number