Nike VR Tour Driver

Cmack42976

To those gaming it, how's the spin?
I'm a high spin player looking for a low-spin driver and keep hearing great things about the Nike VR Tour. I currently game the Cobra Pro D, which is a cannon, but on bad days it can be a bit punishing. Just curious how the VR Tour is performing on the course--spin, trajectory, distance, forgiveness, etc. Anybody tested it against the Pro D or the 909D3? Also, for those with the Project X shaft, how do you like it? Thanks in advance (SS 108, HC 1.5)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the problem of having too much spin and too high of a launch off the driver. I played a R7 Limited last year, tried the R9 Supertri, and when I hit the VR STR8-FIT Tour, the launch monitor showed we had a winner. It lowered both my spin and launch angle to acceptable levels. Part of the reason I tried it was because the Golf Digest Hot List showed it was a low spin, medium launch driver and I thought it might fit what I was looking for in a driver. After hitting using the launch monitor, the guy I buy my clubs from gave me a demo to try on the course, I adjusted my shaft to what I thought I would need, was very happy with the performance, and bought one. The only thing I do not like is the sound but I will live with that considering the results.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I have the Vr 10.5 with the 6.0 PX shaft I'm a 8 hcp with 95-100 SS. I love the driver its the best driver i've had in years. Last year i played the 909 D3 and the R9. The Vr is longer and more forgiving for me. It does launch lower then my others with the PX, thats why i went with the 10.5 works great for me.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

My home course had a demo day today. Here is list of my personal opinions.
My Driver ss is around 102.
[b]FT9 (9.5) stock z-com 60 S[/b]
good feel, launched too high 245 / 3~5 roll
[b]FT tour (9.5) voodoo sns(?)7 S[/b]
awesome feel, low side of high launch but didn't went so far 235 / 12~15
[b]Taylormade Burner superfast (9.5) matrix ozik 4.8 torque S[/b]
impact sound had high pitch 'ping' sound(not loud), like nakashima drivers. I liked it a lot but my buddies didn't.
distance was amazing 255 / 8~14
[b]Taylormade supertri (9.5) dont remember[/b]
I didn't liked it, as i didn't liked r9..
[b]Nike Vr tour (8.5) projectX 5.5[/b]
Oh man. Nike came up with some awesome thing. Feel wasn't superior but it had nice mid trajectory and a lot of roll. 245 / 15~18
9.5 launched like FT tour trajectory was similar.
[b]Nike machspeed 9.5 dont remember[/b]
As i dont like square driver, it wasn't very impressive.
[b]Ping G15 9 TFC(?) S & I15 S[/b]
First time trying ping stuff. It was overall impressive driver. But i15 was better fit for me, it was easy to work the ball and went far

I didn't have enough time to try mizuno and srixon stuff.
But it was great opportunity to try all the great new gears.
I would rate
1. TM - Superfast
2. Nike - Vr tour
3. Ping - I15

Superfast was cheapest among all the drivers and I was glad to see them get rid of reax shaft and put matrix in.
I could tell it was made for shaft but it wasn't that bad as stock offering.
I know now why pros change their driver to superfast. Seriously, give it a shot.

I'm killing mine. It's the lowest spin combo I think i've ever seen in an 'off the rack' club. My swing speed is around 108-110, and the 6.5 PX was too low spin for me, we're talking well under 2000 rpm in the 9.5 head. I've since reshafted with a blueboard. Fantastic driver though, sound, feel, distance, everything -- fantastic.

If you're a high spin player, you'd be foolish not to try it.

[quote name='georgec' date='02 April 2010 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1270242401' post='2357209']
I have the Vr 10.5 with the 6.0 PX shaft I'm a 8 hcp with 95-100 SS. I love the driver its the best driver i've had in years. Last year i played the 909 D3 and the R9. The Vr is longer and more forgiving for me. It does launch lower then my others with the PX, thats why i went with the 10.5 works great for me.
[/quote]

agree 100%. i went with the 10.5 for the same reason.

[quote name='Shaank0' date='02 April 2010 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1270257411' post='2357583']
When talking about spin with drivers. Does a low spin shaft cut down on spin on the ball that would help reduce the slice.
Cause my drives go about 200 straight than spin 100 yards to the right.
[/quote]

Actually, it will increase your slices. less backspin means more potential for sidespin.

I went from the Cobra Pro D to the VR Tour and am loving it. Faster ball speeds, more distance, much more forgiveness. It's def a low spin head, I took out the px shaft and threw in a miyazaki black 83x. Low spin low to mid launch monster that hits and runs.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

im not a particularly high spin or high launch player, but ive got a pretty good swing speed and am always looking for some more yardage. my current gamer is knocked as a high spin head, but the shaft ive got does a good job of keeping that spin down. i tried the vr tour hoping i could gain some yards by dropping spin and i was amazed. i could not keep this thing in the air. i think my average ss was about 112, and i was getting spin under 2000 rpm. my drives weren't carrying past 250, but i was getting 20-30+ yards of roll. i tried the 10.5 with a 6.0 shaft. the shaft felt fantastic, it was kickin and I felt i was getting the most out of it. its just such a low spin combo i couldnt deal with it!

[quote name='generalbolg' date='02 April 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1270265847' post='2357836']
im not a particularly high spin or high launch player, but ive got a pretty good swing speed and am always looking for some more yardage. my current gamer is knocked as a high spin head, but the shaft ive got does a good job of keeping that spin down. i tried the vr tour hoping i could gain some yards by dropping spin and i was amazed. i could not keep this thing in the air. i think my average ss was about 112, and i was getting spin under 2000 rpm. my drives weren't carrying past 250, but i was getting 20-30+ yards of roll. i tried the 10.5 with a 6.0 shaft. the shaft felt fantastic, it was kickin and I felt i was getting the most out of it. its just such a low spin combo i couldnt deal with it!
[/quote]

Same experience for me. the 9.5 is MONEY with a blueboard for me.

[quote name='scottland' date='03 April 2010 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1270267813' post='2357873']
[quote name='generalbolg' date='02 April 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1270265847' post='2357836']
[/quote]

Same experience for me. the 9.5 is MONEY with a blueboard for me.
[/quote]

yah. i definitely needed a shaft with a bit more launch and spin. this isnt the most forgiving head, but when you nut one, oh my this thing is a rocket.

its funny you mention this because after i hit this club a bit i said, i either need a head that launches and spins more, or i gotta throw a blueboard in this club. i was thinking 63x for my swing, but i think that would be a great combo. i was surprised how great the project x shaft felt, and if i were to buy the clubhead i would absolutely purchase a blueboard to retain that feel but increase launch and spin a bit.

This driver with the stock PX shaft is a absolute beast for me. I have always loved the BB shaft and have one laying around that I could put in this head, but I can't imagine it could work any better. I typically get way too much spin with most of the drivers I've tried over the past several years. I was fortunate enough to have some great weather (albeit pretty windy) and was able to play 3 days in a row. I know this has been said before by countless others, but I seriously hit some of the longest drives I have ever hit with this thing... it's remarkable. I have never been known to be a long hitter, but I had about a 10 mph tailwind on the first hole this morning, par 5 that plays 552. My tee ball only left me 225 to the middle of the green. I was in shock! Playing partners who typically out hit me were left in my dust on several occasions the last few days. The ground is not even hard yet, still pretty damp here, so I am not getting a ton of roll either and it's the norm on most shots to find mud on the ball after it lands. I did find I needed to take some length off the club to find some consistency so I shortened the driver (butt end) to play 44.5", and I drilled a small hole in the bottom to add some rattle stop to get the swingweight up to D4. My SS is average of 110, and I am playing the 6.5 flex in a 9.5 loft. I get the most out of this driver when I tee it up slightly higher than normal and catch it a little on the upswing. Today I hit one a little towards the heel that went at least 20 yards further than I expected it to go. The HO in me wants to find another one of the heads to try the BB in now just to compare... I am too afraid of ruining a good thing with the current combo to even think of pulling the PX shaft out of this gamer. :man_in_love: Nike has a winner with this one.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

[quote name='cmb71' date='02 April 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1270269707' post='2357913']
This driver with the stock PX shaft is a absolute beast for me. I have always loved the BB shaft and have one laying around that I could put in this head, but I can't imagine it could work any better. I typically get way too much spin with most of the drivers I've tried over the past several years. I was fortunate enough to have some great weather (albeit pretty windy) and was able to play 3 days in a row. I know this has been said before by countless others, but I seriously hit some of the longest drives I have ever hit with this thing... it's remarkable. I have never been known to be a long hitter, but I had about a 10 mph tailwind on the first hole this morning, par 5 that plays 552. My tee ball only left me 225 to the middle of the green. I was in shock! Playing partners who typically out hit me were left in my dust on several occasions the last few days. The ground is not even hard yet, still pretty damp here, so I am not getting a ton of roll either and it's the norm on most shots to find mud on the ball after it lands. I did find I needed to take some length off the club to find some consistency so I shortened the driver (butt end) to play 44.5", and I drilled a small hole in the bottom to add some rattle stop to get the swingweight up to D4. My SS is average of 110, and I am playing the 6.5 flex in a 9.5 loft. I get the most out of this driver when I tee it up slightly higher than normal and catch it a little on the upswing. Today I hit one a little towards the heel that went at least 20 yards further than I expected it to go. The HO in me wants to find another one of the heads to try the BB in now just to compare... I am too afraid of ruining a good thing with the current combo to even think of pulling the PX shaft out of this gamer. :man_in_love: Nike has a winner with this one.
[/quote]

I've seen higher ball speeds with the PX, so if you're getting good flight, keep rocking the PX. My swing simply doesn't produce enough spin for that combo. I [i]needed[/i] more spin. The Blueboard fits me much better.

[quote name='scottland' date='03 April 2010 - 01:55 AM' timestamp='1270274147' post='2357973']
[quote name='cmb71' date='02 April 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1270269707' post='2357913']
[/quote]

I've seen higher ball speeds with the PX, so if you're getting good flight, keep rocking the PX. My swing simply doesn't produce enough spin for that combo. I [i]needed[/i] more spin. The Blueboard fits me much better.
[/quote]

Good point, being that I was a typically high spin player before, the PX/VR Tour head combo is probably killing the appropriate of spin amount for me. I have also noted that this combo is more "anti-left" than most drivers I have hit recently as well... my typical miss is a hook. That could be attributed to the open face angle, or the shaft head combo in general I guess. I need to find a trackman around here to do some comparisons as I would be interested in ball speed numbers with this compared to my last few driver purchases.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

i am hitting a 9.5 with a 7.0 PX, this is the best driver i have hit, well ever. i like it so much i am considering buying a duplicate to sit in the basement in case of an accident.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

You should be fine with the 5.5, I have a similar swing speed and went with the 6.0 because it felt a little more stable.

For me, the 9.5 px6.0 setup spins less than my i15 kai'li combo, the best part about a super low spin driver is the ability to play a higher spinning ball without losing distance. With a hx tour, my spin rate with the vr tour was right around 2000, but with a one tour ball, gets up to 2300, which with a 13.5 degree launch angle, is peachy. The i15 combo I have spins just 100 or so rpm more but is prettier to look at. It's going to be tough to decide which one to keep.

M3 440 IZ-6
M3 15 IZ-7
P790
Handground Vokeys
009M custom