2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf Channel Pipe Dream Show (merged)

squarre

Tuesdays @9:30ET
What does everyone think about this new upcoming show? I may be a sucker, but I am at least interested to check it out.

mark-burk.jpg

Mark Burk
Mark Burk was born in 1957 in Los Angeles, California. A single mother, who gave him the best of everything, raised him. His mother, a successful businesswoman exposed him to some of the finer things in life, including country club memberships.

At 13 years old, Mark played his first round of golf at Inglewood Country Club where he made a hole-in-one on a par three. Mark was hooked. Realizing he had some talent, Mark began to play in junior tournaments. When Mark was 16, he placed third in the Pasadena Open and won CIF at Inglewood High.

In 1984, Mark played in the US Amateur Tournament at Oak Tree Country Club. That same year, he finished low amateur in the California State Open at Olivas Park. In 1987, Mark won the LA County Amateur Tournament.

In 1988, Mark turned pro, playing for a year on the Sunshine Tour in South Africa. He had moderate success and moved back to Southern California to play a multitude of mini-tour events. Again, his success was moderate.

Mark quit playing competitively and focused on teaching golf from 1995 to 2005. He was known to be an excellent instructor, teaching out of a golf studio he designed and built in his garage. Mark was hired as a consultant on the movie "Swordfish" and taught both Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman how to swing a club.

Mark was so serious about the game, he spent vast amounts of money learning various philosophies and being trained to reach the highest level of golf. Throughout his golf career Mark has studied under the likes of Ben Doyle, Jim Flick, Peter Kostis, Bob Toski, David Leadbetter and Kip Puterbaugh.

Mark began to feel the call of competition again in 2000 and qualified the local US Open, shooting a 73 at Industry Hills Golf Club. From that moment, Mark began playing in a variety of mini-tour events. In 2006, Mark won a Pepsi Mini-Tour event shooting 71 and 73. Mark won The Desert Classic at Mission Hills Country Club shooting 70 and 71 at this Golden State event. Mark has attempted to make it through PGA's Qualifying School three times. Even though he has yet to qualify, Mark refuses to give up on his dream.

Golf is the only profession that Mark has ever known. He is passionate about this game, its values, and challenges. He is inching closer and closer to his dream, but for him, it is day-by-day. Above all, he has a positive attitude, a tremendous love and respect for the game, and an undying spirit.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get back home on the 10th and getting this show on a recording schedual on the dvr is number 1 priority. Looks great.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

I cant wait to see this show. Shows that some people would love to do what they do over having luxury goods and/or money. Interested to see why he cant find a job as a professional or assistant with the background they have of him

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

[quote name='ecsugolf1' timestamp='1294282653' post='2877544']
I cant wait to see this show. Shows that some people would love to do what they do over having luxury goods and/or money. Interested to see why he cant find a job as a professional or assistant with the background they have of him
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to it also. It looks like an intriguing story and I hope GC gives it balanced coverage to include his alleged domestic violence history and his conviction record.

I thought the guy looked familar but wasn't sure. Got a call from a buddy saying, "remember our trip out to PGA west two years ago, that guy on Pipe Dream is the guy that joined us at the nicklaus course". Couldn't beleive it. I remember the guy being really nice and a decent golfer (not tour material, but around scratch). It spiked my interest cause at the time this guy was a member at PGA west, so now I need to know how he went from Riches to Rags?

From what I could fine online, he was dating Brandy Johnson or some supermodel and she was pretty much paying for everything he needed, eventually the relationship went south and he ended up trying to sue her for palimony saying they had an oral agreement she would support him finacially. There was a bunch of other stuff about her counter suing, guns, jail, yada yada.

Made me think the golf channel is trying to spin this story that this guy had some really bad breaks when really he was skating by on someone elses dollar. Hopefully Pipe dream will get him back on his feet.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1294344017' post='2878762']
[quote name='jhmac10' timestamp='1294342655' post='2878727']
I think one reality show is enough, and from what i've heard Big Break isn't all 'reality'
[/quote]

+1.

The tour is back on. Lets just stick to ummmmm GOLF.
[/quote]

+2

I'd rather watch the last round of some old tournament - even a non-major - than all this so-called "reality" stuff. People going around with two-three cameras in their face and lights on them at home. Yeah, that's real life. Right. Whatever.

Everytime i see the ads on the golf channel I just have to chuckel a little bit. A show about an aspiring pro golfer who lives a drain pipe lol. You cant make that kind of stuff up. but alas I will probably watch (at least once) beacuse i'm a sucker for just about any golf programming. I hate the haney project and still watch it. I think I need some better hobbies, the winter in mn is rough. I almost had to break down and support this guy, on that website you can get 3 personally signed top flites for only $89.97 AND they come with a coa !

[quote name='pgdean' timestamp='1294316606' post='2878022']
I would prefer less "reality" TV in general. The Golf Channel is slowly going the way of MTV.
[/quote]

Unfortunately this is true.

Golf Channel is going for ratings, and are realizing that pure golf broadcasting is not going to pay the bills. Just like MTV, you're going to see more and more of this type of programming.

[quote name='Bubbalongball' timestamp='1294347231' post='2878891']
SOB story and just makes him look bad if he didnt have a dime to fall back on sounds like he was just a mouch and just needs to man up and go work at Walmart or MacDonalds and stop blaming everyone for his misfortunes, its his own fault and a waste of time lets watch some golf.
[/quote]

Exactly

After reading his bio, I feel like I've had it rougher sometimes. Oh, and I'm not living in a pipe right now.

[quote name='pgdean' timestamp='1294316606' post='2878022']
The Golf Channel is slowly going the way of MTV.
[/quote]

the golf channel is golf and show golf reality shows. mtv is music and don't necessarily show anything that has to do with music. there's a difference

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

I thought the guy looked familar but wasn't sure. Got a call from a buddy saying, "remember our trip out to PGA west two years ago, that guy on Pipe Dream is the guy that joined us at the nicklaus course". Couldn't beleive it. I remember the guy being really nice and a decent golfer (not tour material, but around scratch). It spiked my interest cause at the time this guy was a member at PGA west, so now I need to know how he went from Riches to Rags?

From what I could fine online, he was dating Brandy Johnson or some supermodel and she was pretty much paying for everything he needed, eventually the relationship went south and he ended up trying to sue her for palimony saying they had an oral agreement she would support him finacially. There was a bunch of other stuff about her counter suing, guns, jail, yada yada.

Made me think the golf channel is trying to spin this story that this guy had some really bad breaks when really he was skating by on someone elses dollar. Hopefully Pipe dream will get him back on his feet.

Any thoughts?

Nickelodeon did pretty well with a show about a sponge who lived in a shoe, so why can't golf channel give it a shot with a sponge who lives in a pipe?

cheesy.gif

Any thoughts?

Nickelodeon did pretty well with a show about a sponge who lived in a shoe, so why can't golf channel give it a shot with a sponge who lives in a pipe?

cheesy.gif

Its actually a sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea, get with the times dude!!! =P

[quote name='eagle dance' timestamp='1294330792' post='2878327']

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

sounds like the golf channel is trying to bamboozle the public...

I'm curious to see how he is portrayed on the show. He's homeless, so initially I feel sympathy. But then when I read about alleged domestic violence and death threats and mooching money....... it makes me unsure of whether I should root for the guy or against him. Of course, I'm sure his exposure on the show will lead to sponsor exemptions on the Nationwide and then we'll have to debate the fairness of that (i.e. Jerry Rice).

I'm going to watch to see what this guy is all about and see how they portray him. Hopefully it's objectively.

So far my impressions are that he was raised to be one thing, and ended up as another. He was a victim of circumstances and actually didn't do anything wrong. Getting employment will be tough. Why? As a recruiter, you need to have a verifiable address for one. People are literally doing to have to give him a chance. Thiis is going to be humbling but I'm curious to see where this ends up.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I just can't feel any pity for the guy.

He finally now is starting to do some work to earn some money. His priorities are totally out of whack.

But whatever...it's a show and it's supposed to be entertaining.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon