2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

UST Proforce v2 Tour Flight

MikeCartier

What flex(s) for driver, 3w, 5w
I have been looking for new shafts for my driver, 3w, and 5w. I saw these on sale for $30 so I am tempted, but not sure what configuration I should use. My ss is 105-110, which kind of puts me at the end of a stiff and start of an xstiff. Should I get a stiff and tip it 1/2 inch, or am I good with an xstiff? Also since I want to replace my woods, would I get the same flex in those as well? I know you have to tip the shaft 1 or 2 inches for the woods, would that make the woods feel like xxstiff? Should I get 3 stiff shafts and tip them a little more than recommended, get an xstiff for the driver and stiff for the woods? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome shaft, especially for the money. Just put one in my 9015 and its nasty. 71g with a 4" pts. Tip the stiff and you should be sweet.

It launches slightly lower and spins less than the standard V2. Same great stability. I love the feel, too. Those that say something feels "boardy" usually can't make it bend. That's why I'm saying tip the more flexible one so you may avoid that impression.

Good luck!

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='MikeCartier' timestamp='1299866688' post='3046658']
DriverWedge, are you suggesting that with my swing speed, I should opt for the stiff and have it tipped rather than the xstiff? Should I get the same (stiff) for all 3 clubs?
[/quote]

I just bought the X on golfsmith based on the reviews of Driverwedge and some others a couple of days ago, should be here today. Unfortunately, I wont get to hit it for a couple days but FYI, I am about 110 with the driver consistently, maybe closer to 115 on a hard one but I have not checked in a while, just going on measured carries and distances.

If I were you, I would go with the stiff and tip a bit, all of the V2 shafts are firm to flex so in almost all cases you should go down a flex and tip if you are in between. In my case I am going for a really low launch in a backup driver so the X should give me plenty of that. If it was my gamer, I would also probably be going for the stiff, tipped as well.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

Thanks for the response JJK. The UST tipping recommendations for this shaft is no tipping for driver, 1" for 3w, 2" for 5w. I am more familiar with iron hard stepping, but don't know much for woods. How much tipping/extra tipping should I do and should I do it for all 3 woods? For example, based on the recommended tipping instuctions, should I extra tip all shafts 1/2 inch (so 1/2" total tip for driver, 1.5 inch for 3, 2.5 for 5w), or a full inch? Should I only extra tip the driver, but leave the woods the recommended tipping??? I do not know how much you need to tip to take a stiff shaft to a stiffer but not xstiff shaft.

DriverWedge, are you suggesting that with my swing speed, I should opt for the stiff and have it tipped rather than the xstiff? Should I get the same (stiff) for all 3 clubs?

I just bought the X on golfsmith based on the reviews of Driverwedge and some others a couple of days ago, should be here today. Unfortunately, I wont get to hit it for a couple days but FYI, I am about 110 with the driver consistently, maybe closer to 115 on a hard one but I have not checked in a while, just going on measured carries and distances.

If I were you, I would go with the stiff and tip a bit, all of the V2 shafts are firm to flex so in almost all cases you should go down a flex and tip if you are in between. In my case I am going for a really low launch in a backup driver so the X should give me plenty of that. If it was my gamer, I would also probably be going for the stiff, tipped as well.

Hey guys! I agree with JJK about staying all one flex and tip accordingly. I tipped my x 1" and it's sweet. Start with a half inch as you can always tip more. It gets tricky putting a tip back on black%20eye.gif . A good rule of thumb with flex is to have as much flex as you can control. If you start spraying it everywhere, you may need to firm it up. I think you'll both love this shaft. Feel is subjective, but numbers don't lie! Hit'em well!

[quote name='kmorr2586' timestamp='1299870413' post='3046820']
JXT012CVN
[/quote]

Thanks for the code! I just picked up two more along with some grips I haven't tried yet.

Okay guys I have a 9015d and I love the feel of the UST V2. I think it is the best shaft for your money and have used it in many hybrids and drivers. When I saw the golfsmith deal and you guys talking I had to research it. My 9015d is 10.5 which I normally play a 9.5 , but I think 10.5 with a low launch shaft will give me a better ball flight. I hope this shaft is truly lower launching. I just ordered it about five minutes ago and with the code got it for $27 after 15% off and free shipping. Can't wait to install this shaft!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

At that price mine as well. These remind me alot of Prolite shafts because they are sweet shafts and so darn affordable.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

[quote name='MikeCartier' timestamp='1299870291' post='3046814']
Thanks for the response JJK. The UST tipping recommendations for this shaft is no tipping for driver, 1" for 3w, 2" for 5w. I am more familiar with iron hard stepping, but don't know much for woods. How much tipping/extra tipping should I do and should I do it for all 3 woods? For example, based on the recommended tipping instuctions, should I extra tip all shafts 1/2 inch (so 1/2" total tip for driver, 1.5 inch for 3, 2.5 for 5w), or a full inch? Should I only extra tip the driver, but leave the woods the recommended tipping??? I do not know how much you need to tip to take a stiff shaft to a stiffer but not xstiff shaft.
[/quote]

Not seeing your swing and just based on club head speed, I would say 1/2" tipping to start. If you are closer to 110 mph and really aggressive transition, then 1" may be better. Do you like a higher flight with your woods than driver, etc. many factors to be considered. If you are not sure, start at 1/2" then move up to 1" if it is not quite stiff enough. Shoot UST Mamiya an email, Their pro is pretty helpful; can't count the number of questions I have asked him over the years.

I am going to hit the shaft this week and hopefully be able to give you a better description of how stiff it actually plays.

Just put a standard V2 in my 4 wood......love it!

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Hey guys! I agree with JJK about staying all one flex and tip accordingly. I tipped my x 1" and it's sweet. Start with a half inch as you can always tip more. It gets tricky putting a tip back on black%20eye.gif . A good rule of thumb with flex is to have as much flex as you can control. If you start spraying it everywhere, you may need to firm it up. I think you'll both love this shaft. Feel is subjective, but numbers don't lie! Hit'em well!

Last time I tried to put a tip back on it didn't work too well! :cheesy:

How does the 1" tipping compare to the tipping you do on your other X flex shafts and how does the resultant stiffness compare as well. It seems that MikeCartier really just needs a relative "stiffness index" so he can figure out how much to tip. Most of the UST line already plays stiff to flex IMO, is this no exception in your opinion?

Last time I tried to put a tip back on it didn't work too well! :cheesy:

How does the 1" tipping compare to the tipping you do on your other X flex shafts and how does the resultant stiffness compare as well. It seems that MikeCartier really just needs a relative "stiffness index" so he can figure out how much to tip. Most of the UST line already plays stiff to flex IMO, is this no exception in your opinion?

I think the reason they play stiff to flex, or feel like they do, is because of their lower torque. It just "feels" stiffer than it may really be. Remember: The torque on the standard V2 76g x flex is about 2.2. The torque on the Tour Flight 71g x flex is 3.4, so it may not feel as stiff anyway!

Most shafts I play have a 3" pst as opposed to the UST 4". As you know, the tip is the weakes part of the shaft and taking 1" off a 4" pst may have less effect than taking it off of a 3". For example, I took 2" off one of my WB73's (3" pst) and it REALLY changed how it acted. When I took 1" off the V2 TF, it just tightened things up a bit and took some action out of the tip. It did NOT make it feel that much stiffer. Maybe a little, but nothing crazy. Honestly, I think it feels great! Remember, though, that this is coming from a guy who likes how the original V2 feels, along with the ProtoPype and other shafts some folks think feels "boardy".

I hope this answered your question! If not, let me know.

I've had a 76g V2 X-stiff in a 10.5 9015D for two years now. Plays at 44" with a Winn Lite grip to swingweight things out. BTW I actually like the firm Winn Lite, but the price sucks. Two years ago my swing speed was around 107 to 110 but I'm going to turn 56 this year and things are slowing just a tad. I was on Mizunos shaft optimizer exactly one year ago and my average 6 iron clubhead speed was 92. For iron shafts it told me KBS X softstepped 1x, S300 or Project X 6.0. Tried KBS and I lost distance and hit ultra high balls. Put Project X 6.0's into my Bridgestone J33CB's and they are money. Also put them into 2003 Hogan Apex blades, same result. I've always loved the V2, great shaft for the cash. Late last year I started to loose more tee shots to the right so maybe I need to drop down in flex. Jumped on the Golfsmith deal last night and got a 69g V2 Tour Flight in stiff. Here is my plan.

I have the ability to do eveything myself so I'm thinking of installing the new stiff V2 Tour Flight straight in at 44.5" with a lite grip. Watch my ball flight and distance and go from there. Should I do that or just tip 1/2" and go from there?

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1300041794' post='3051672']

I think the reason they play stiff to flex, or feel like they do, is because of their lower torque. It just "feels" stiffer than it may really be. Remember: The torque on the standard V2 76g x flex is about 2.2. The torque on the Tour Flight 71g x flex is 3.4, so it may not feel as stiff anyway!

Most shafts I play have a 3" pst as opposed to the UST 4". As you know, the tip is the weakes part of the shaft and taking 1" off a 4" pst may have less effect than taking it off of a 3". For example, I took 2" off one of my WB73's (3" pst) and it REALLY changed how it acted. When I took 1" off the V2 TF, it just tightened things up a bit and took some action out of the tip. It did NOT make it feel that much stiffer. Maybe a little, but nothing crazy. Honestly, I think it feels great! Remember, though, that this is coming from a guy who likes how the original V2 feels, along with the ProtoPype and other shafts some folks think feels "boardy".

[/quote]

Yes, this helps a lot. I agree about "boardy" shafts though, playing my XPP8 in a five wood and used to be all V2's in the woods a couple of years ago. There is something about the feel of the V2 series that when you hit one hard it feels more powerful than any other shaft to me.

I was looking at getting this shaft. I use to play the V2 76g in a few drivers and really liked the feel and kick, but would have a tendency to over draw or hook on a mishit.

I have been playing a Motore F1 75 x in a driver and thought about putting the V2 Tour Flight in the driver and putting the Motore F1 in a 17* fairway wood or vice versa.

Would the V2 Tour Flight be better suited for a driver or fairway shaft? How would this shaft compare to the Motore F1 75?

OK, I pulled the trigger and ordered 3 V2 Tour flight shafts in Stiff for my driver, 3w, and 5w. Again, the UST tipping instructions is 0 for driver, 1" for 3w, 2" for 5w. My plan is to tip the driver 1" and play to 45", tip the 3w 1.5" and play to 43", and tip the 5w 2.5" and play to 42". Last call to anyone who wants to chime in and suggest something different. Thanks to everyone who has provided insight and suggestions. If you do have suggestions, please state what your recommended TOTAL tipping and TOTAL playing length would be for myself and the others who are also seeking guidance.

[quote name='MikeCartier' timestamp='1300113600' post='3053887']
OK, I pulled the trigger and ordered 3 V2 Tour flight shafts in Stiff for my driver, 3w, and 5w. Again, the UST tipping instructions is 0 for driver, 1" for 3w, 2" for 5w. My plan is to tip the driver 1" and play to 45", tip the 3w 1.5" and play to 43", and tip the 5w 2.5" and play to 42". Last call to anyone who wants to chime in and suggest something different. Thanks to everyone who has provided insight and suggestions. If you do have suggestions, please state what your recommended TOTAL tipping and TOTAL playing length would be for myself and the others who are also seeking guidance.
[/quote]

That sounds great! Let us know how that goes for you. Often you'll find a shaft weight progression from driver, to 3 wood to 5 wood, so I'm curious how you like it. Good luck!

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1300073956' post='3053202']
[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1300041794' post='3051672']

[/quote]

Yes, this helps a lot. I agree about "boardy" shafts though, playing my XPP8 in a five wood and used to be all V2's in the woods a couple of years ago. There is something about the feel of the V2 series that when you hit one hard it feels more powerful than any other shaft to me.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. I'm also a Pype guy. Do you find any difference between the straight up Pype and the Voodoo Pype?

Hey guys I can second what Driverwedge has been saying about the stellar performance of the V2 Tour Flight. I just changed out my trusty V2 76g X-stiff for a V2 Tour flight 71 g. X-stiff that I tipped a half inch. I was bombing drives well over 300 yards the other day and hit one close to 350!

Driverwedge was telling me about his long-driving buddy who hit his 9015D w/ V2 Tour flight and created 190 MPH ball speed.

You take all that and then you factor in the price tag of $30.... you'd be a fool to not at least try this club for $30. I've got this shaft in 2 of my drivers now and the funny part is I tried this shaft when it first came out and hated it. I was also in the process of a minor swing change during that time and not hitting the ball as consistent as I am now.

Good luck.

DriverWedge - I hope your shoulder is all better!!

[quote name='JJK947' timestamp='1299867798' post='3046707']
[quote name='MikeCartier' timestamp='1299866688' post='3046658']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1300118093' post='3054084']

I know exactly what you mean. I'm also a Pype guy. Do you find any difference between the straight up Pype and the Voodoo Pype?
[/quote]

I actually never hit the original pype. I used to play the original NV a while back but went the UST route instead of experimenting with the pype. Doesn't help that both shafts are relatively hard to find, especially the voodoo. The closest shaft that I've played in terms of feel and performance was the 96 gram UST tour issue. If anything the UST launched lower though, that thing was a telephone pole in X.

[quote name='cantill2' timestamp='1300162868' post='3056406']
Hey guys I can second what Driverwedge has been saying about the stellar performance of the V2 Tour Flight. I just changed out my trusty V2 76g X-stiff for a V2 Tour flight 71 g. X-stiff that I tipped a half inch. I was bombing drives well over 300 yards the other day and hit one close to 350!

Driverwedge was telling me about his long-driving buddy who hit his 9015D w/ V2 Tour flight and created 190 MPH ball speed.

You take all that and then you factor in the price tag of $30.... you'd be a fool to not at least try this club for $30. I've got this shaft in 2 of my drivers now and the funny part is I tried this shaft when it first came out and hated it. I was also in the process of a minor swing change during that time and not hitting the ball as consistent as I am now.

Good luck.

DriverWedge - I hope your shoulder is all better!!

[/quote]

How would you compare the V2 to the tour flight, feel, launch, spin, etc?