George Knudson's natural golf swing

isaacbm

insight's taken from the book?
I know that this book has been talked about here before but I can't get enough of it. Of all the golf books I own and of the 5 or 6 that I read again and again, this one seems to be on the night table more than any other. My favorite parts of this book are his insights on balance, and also on maintaining the same wrist position thoughout the swing as you had at address. The drill to hit balls with your eyes closed is to me, the best tip anyone could ever get. It teaches you so much about balance and feel and really shows you that golf is not a hand eye game as so many believe. If you don't own this book and are a big student of the game, get on amazon right away. I Assure you you'll love it!

Anyone else get as much from Knudson ??

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1312293835' post='3443954']
Maybe I'm partial because I'm Canadain but even Nicklaus said he had the best swing he ever saw
[/quote]

going to amazon now...

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1312293935' post='3443960']
Maybe I'm partial because I'm Canadain but even Nicklaus said he had the best swing he ever saw
[/quote]

going to amazon now...
[/quote]
Hey Tembolo, as a big Hogan fan, you'll love this guy. He talks about Hogan's influence on his game and how his "classroom was the range and his teachers were the guys that he would study on the range." Including Hogan, Venturi, Art Wall, Boros, etc. Really good book!

• 2 weeks later...

Reading it. Liking it so far. Not sure i'll be able to hit the ball with my eyes closed though hehe. I'm balanced...but lordy not that balanced!

Anxious to get to his technique.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1312263207' post='3443203']
I know that this book has been talked about here before but I can't get enough of it. Of all the golf books I own and of the 5 or 6 that I read again and again, this one seems to be on the night table more than any other. My favorite parts of this book are his insights on balance, and also on maintaining the same wrist position thoughout the swing as you had at address. The drill to hit balls with your eyes closed is to me, the best tip anyone could ever get. It teaches you so much about balance and feel and really shows you that golf is not a hand eye game as so many believe. If you don't own this book and are a big student of the game, get on amazon right away. I Assure you you'll love it!

[/quote]

P.M. Martin Chuck inventor of the Tour Striker .Martin played and worked at the golf course, where Mr Knudsen taught, and knows his teaching techniques as well as anyone.

[quote name='ppjn348' timestamp='1313516379' post='3492294']
Would his left foot outside the shoulder be applicable to a slicefixer swing?
[/quote]

definitely forces you to get your buns moving laterally i think. And makes it harder for you to roll to the outside
of your left foot. More balanced as he says.

I don't think that foot position will make you more cf or cp necessarily.

Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1312294735' post='3444030']
[/quote]

going to amazon now...
[/quote]
Hey Tembolo, as a big Hogan fan, you'll love this guy. He talks about Hogan's influence on his game and how his "classroom was the range and his teachers were the guys that he would study on the range." Including Hogan, Venturi, Art Wall, Boros, etc. Really good book!
[/quote]

[b]Enjoyed the book and the video. Didn't Knudson at one point see Ballard and subsequently play his best golf?[/b]

[/quote]

Perhaps one of the best I've read, right up there with 5 lessons.

[/quote]

He coached me from the time I was 9 years old, until he passed at 51, I was 19 at the time. GREAT guy and dear friend. I made a Tribute DVD in his honor.

[url="http://www.tourstriker.com/shop/product_details.aspx?p=176"]A Tribute to George Knudson[/url]

[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1313531946' post='3493270']
[/quote]

going to amazon now...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[b]Enjoyed the book and the video. Didn't Knudson at one point see Ballard and subsequently play his best golf?[/b]
[/quote]

He did spend time with Ballard in the late 70's, long after his best golf.

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1313508212' post='3491811']
Reading it. Liking it so far. Not sure i'll be able to hit the ball with my eyes closed though hehe. I'm balanced...but lordy not that balanced!

Anxious to get to his technique.
[/quote]

Yes you will be able to hit it with your eyes closed! It might take a while but it is the single best drill that I've come across in nearly 20 years of pro golf. If I could tell people to practice one single thing this would be it.

One of the best parts of "his technique" is actually his discovery when watching great ball strikers that they all do the same thing with their left wrist through the ball and into the finish position. Then he talks about engaging the feet and legs to allow him to accomplish this wrist move with out hooking it off the world...

If nothing else, the flip book at the bottom of the page is pretty cool! LOL!

[quote name='wiko' timestamp='1313609707' post='3496574']
are there any videos available on george knudsons great swing excellent book thanks
[/quote]

[b]Here is the only link I am aware of that sells the video that Knudson created. He narrates througout[/b]. [url="http://www.normmootegolf.com/george_knudson_dvd.php"]http://www.normmoote...knudson_dvd.php[/url]

You can get the DVD as a part of the presentation provided by Ben Kern at the 1988 PGA Teaching and Coaching Summit in Dallas. George was supposed to give the presentation, but he was on his death bed at the time. Ben Kern was the DOG at The National Golf Club of Canada (one of the sweetest tracks in the World, btw) introduced George's thoughts, said a few words then ran the DVD in it entirety. The video quality is fine.

Ben and George ran the junior development program I was fortunate enough to be included in.

The DVD is number "8" from the Dallas summit.

http://www.pgateachingtapes.com/america.html

[color=#336633][size=2][b]To Order call 888-PGA-TAPE (888-742-8273) or 561-653-5665

or email: [email="[email protected]"][size="-1"][color="#336633"][email protected][/color][/size][/email] to submit your American Express, Visa, MasterCard or Discover account number, expiration date and security code[/b][/size][/color]

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1313550251' post='3494324']
[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1313531946' post='3493270']
[/quote]

going to amazon now...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

He did spend time with Ballard in the late 70's, long after his best golf.
[/quote]

Martin, I had the opportunity to take a few lessons from Mark Evershed in the late 90s. He said he played a lot of golf with Mr. Knudson and what he wrote in the book was not what he actually did. Can you elaborate on this? Having mentored under GK must have been an awesome experience.

I knew George, worked with George and know Mark Evershed as well. What George taught was very different from the book. George could certainly play howvever what he felt and what he sis were certainly different. I never heard of George taking a lesson from Ballard or anyone else for that matter. He was a Hogan disciple.

[quote name='Jersey golfer' timestamp='1313780163' post='3502892']

Martin, I had the opportunity to take a few lessons from Mark Evershed in the late 90s. He said he played a lot of golf with Mr. Knudson and what he wrote in the book was not what he actually did. Can you elaborate on this? Having mentored under GK must have been an awesome experience.
[/quote]

"Shed" is an excellent teacher. One of the best in the business. PERIOD. He's helped me and one Sean Foley a bunch.

I would agree with Shed on what George taught and what he did was different. However, you have to realize, he is trying to help people strike the ball and play better gold. I have been guilty of dumping way to much info onto people and binding them up to where they can't play a lick. More is not better in most cases. George kept it really simple; Opposing hands (neutral grip), load (backswing), unload (downswing), balance all with the target burnt into your noggin. It's still the best way to actually "PLAY" golf.

Knudson didn't teach the dynamic motion that he made because you can't "teach" that move. You have to develop the confidence to stress the shaft during the transition, the way he did, and get your pivot moving. He was in 5th gear, but you have to start off in 1st or 2nd gear or your crash into the corner wall.

I teach a wide variety of students at the Tour Striker Golf Academy. Some I can explain some TGM and they respond well, others, I keep it simple and "Natural" golf them ala Knudson. I still preach target. Don't hit a straight shot and call it before you try it.

I try and use a blend and call it "The Knudson Machine." :)

George didn't believe impact was a position. I don't either. I use the term "impact position" and I should strike it from my vocabulary. I do think George could have helped a lot more folks if he explained lag just a little. It would fit in perfectly with what he taught, simply another chapter on awareness of the mass and what it does to your wrists and hands. I know it would have made a world of difference with me as a youngster. I could hit full shots really nicely because they were full and Mother Nature wants things to "line up" when you don't over power her. It was the short pitch shots that I had no clue how to really execute. I played with some really talented kids growing up, Mike Weir to name one. He wasn't a great striker, but he sure could pitch and chip the ball beautifully. Shed taught me how to feel lag and use lag as a friend.

[quote name='dcrocketman' timestamp='1313789768' post='3503320']
I knew George, worked with George and know Mark Evershed as well. What George taught was very different from the book. George could certainly play howvever what he felt and what he sis were certainly different. I never heard of George taking a lesson from Ballard or anyone else for that matter. He was a Hogan disciple.
[/quote]

DC, I'm sure we have crossed paths over the years around TO. I respectfully disagree with the comment about the book vs his teaching. It was pretty verbatim when I spent time with him from 1979 - 1988. He did spend time with Ballard. I'm only assuming it was to find out "how" to convey a message to students. At the time Ballard was THE guru and George wanted to learn from the best available. Ballard and Knudson have similarities except George didn't want your to "move" off the ball or "spring" the shaft. If you moved off the ball? Fine. The angles were supposed to release themselves into and through the ball.

I am no pro... and didn't start til later in life, and consider myself 'mediocre' wit a 10 handicap.

That being said I've been subjected to more instruction, and more 'types' of instruction than anyone -should- be... TGM, SnT, and all kinds of back yard hooligans with 'pro' on their business card.

One guy I had practiced under for a very strict year came from a TGM background and has his own take on it (but then again, who doesn't?) He would tell me all the time, Knudson's book had some 'ok' info in it but essentially he never swung that way. I'd ask him what he meant.... My instructor would categorize Knudson (in so many loose terms) as a 'hitter', and what he taught was a CF dump, or so called 'swinging'.

I studied Knudson a lot, even though I only came into really knowing of him in my middle age because when I was a kid we really didn't play golf. I say this because I've been to his home course, and I live in his home city... and I regret not getting to see him perhaps as a kid... even on the Canadian Tour.

Anyway, my (ex) instructor would tell me that when he spent time on the Canadian tour, he spent time with Moe Norman as well and Moe basically idolized George. He often spoke of him, even when Moe had quite his own reputation.

I really do wish I was a better golfer, but at times when I've been subjected to 'hardcore' theory on this guy, or that 'method', I think I actually regress. George's book (even if not his reality) does give an average person a chance at understanding what he called the 'natural' swing, which you could say is indeed a 'swinger's' mover, with a simple, unsteered, action without fighting CF... a dump right down the line.

But in studying his swing, my (ex)instructor swore up and down that George clearly used his hands a lot, and 'hit' as far as he was concerned.

One of the greatest examples I can find in the modern era is a somewhat hard to find Shell's World of Golf match featuring George Vs. Al Geiberger. (sorry for murdering the spelling.) If you can get your hands on it, it is a fantastic display of balls striking (and poor putting!) by George... and Al as well.

I've rarely seen a topic on George.... I think he's an undiscovered gem. I'm proud he came from my city, of immense winters, and hockey players, to become what he was. Again, my only regret was not being able to appreciate him when he was still with us. Good topic. ;)

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1313550186' post='3494320']

[/quote]

He coached me from the time I was 9 years old, until he passed at 51, I was 19 at the time. GREAT guy and dear friend. I made a Tribute DVD in his honor.

[url="http://www.tourstriker.com/shop/product_details.aspx?p=176"]A Tribute to George Knudson[/url]
[/quote]

Here's a review on Martin's video

[url="http://www.gothamgolfblog.com/2011/08/knudson-machine.html"]Knudson[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='lagster' timestamp='1314183248' post='3515041']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here's an interview with Knudson Protege, Norm Moote

[url="http://www.gothamgolfblog.com/2011/09/george-knudson-by-norm-moote.html"]Interview[/url]

[quote name='lagster' timestamp='1316459308' post='3574512']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[url="http://www.gothamgolfblog.com/2011/09/george-knudson-by-norm-moote.html"]Interview[/url]
[/quote]
Nice! thanks

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1316528710' post='3576977']
[quote name='lagster' timestamp='1316459308' post='3574512']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Nice! thanks
[/quote]

You're welcomed!