2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Scoring System Excel Sheet

Does anyone have one they can send me?
hey... i'm coordinating a tournament amongst a bunch of friends and we decided the best way to even things out is to use the callaway scoring system. i was going to start creating the excel sheet for this, but man this could take awhile.

does anyone have a callaway scoring sheet in excel format that they would be kind enough to share with me? just looking for something where i just enter the scores and the sheet calculates the callaway adjustments...

THANKS!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='umassgolfer' timestamp='1312910504' post='3466629']
The [url="http://golf.about.com/od/handicaps/l/blcallawaysys.htm"]Golf.com[/url] explanation and chart work well. I know there is a specific software out there for scoring Callaway, but it might be kind of pricey and I can't recall the name of it.

Hope this helps...
[/quote]

thanks for the link! i gather i may have to use the info from this link and manually do this as opposed to coming up with something in excel... no way i want to purchase software when this is gonna be a once a year thing haha

It really is not all that difficult to do. We play a modified Callaway so instead of 17 and 18 being mandatory to count it is two undisclosed holes (but we do it with a shotgun start so 17 and 18 isn't as applicable). I would say no more than a few minutes per card.

Double check the total score first, find where it falls on the chart, find the corresponding worst holes, subtract from gross score, don't forget adjustment at bottom = net Callaway.

Maybe your pro staff can help you too, either by determining the "secret" holes or just doing the scoring if there aren't too many of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some spare time so I whipped one up in Excel. I'm pretty sure I worked all of the bugs out. It isn't anything flashy but it gets the job done. I've included an instruction tab and a macro in case you want to omit 16-18 as opposed to 17-18. I'm not sure if I can attach it here or not? I am giving it a shot.

Jared

EDIT: I guess that didn't work. Well, I have the excel file handy. If you can send me your email address or tell me how to attach things on this board I will send it out

EDIT EDIT: Full editor is tech. File attached!

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I don't know what JMazz does for a living but to whip this up in his spare time is AMAZING!!! I was trying to build one of these for small family reunion golf tourney. Been working on it for two days, with my rudimentary Excel skills, after work. This has been a life saver. Now I can chill and enjoy the get together.....I'll say one thing, [u][b]JMazz, you rock!!! [/b][/u]

[quote name='e970333' timestamp='1314464127' post='3523365']
Man, I don't know what JMazz does for a living but to whip this up in his spare time is AMAZING!!! I was trying to build one of these for small family reunion golf tourney. Been working on it for two days, with my rudimentary Excel skills, after work. This has been a life saver. Now I can chill and enjoy the get together.....I'll say one thing, [u][b]JMazz, you rock!!! [/b][/u]
[/quote]

Hahaha, thanks for the kudos! When I'm not golfing I'm an aerospace/mechanical engineer so I've done some Excel work and coding here and there. If anyone else is enjoying the sheet let me know how you like it, if there are any features you would like, or if there are any bugs!

Thanks again for the props!

Jared

• 6 months later...

JMazz

Your spreadsheet worked like a charm at our 20 man tourney this past Saturday. Saved us a lot of time too since we played in a steady light rain so folks didn't want to hang too long afterwards. Thanks again for emailing me the spread when I couldn't get it off the forum post. One of these days I'l poke into it to see what makes it tick.

Thanks again and hit 'em good !

John

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JMazz' timestamp='1314473195' post='3523622']
[quote name='e970333' timestamp='1314464127' post='3523365']
[/quote]

Hahaha, thanks for the kudos! When I'm not golfing I'm an aerospace/mechanical engineer so I've done some Excel work and coding here and there. If anyone else is enjoying the sheet let me know how you like it, if there are any features you would like, or if there are any bugs!

Thanks again for the props!

Jared
[/quote]

Aloha Jared,

Excel is a hobby of mine. I understood the spreadsheet much better than the rules of the Callaway system! :-)

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Hi JMazz,

Great work on your excel form for the Callaway scoring system..

I'M holding a two tee start competition and wanted to ask your advise on how to adjust the cells so that i can include both the 17th & 18th holes? Or perhaps another option might be to omit the last hole on each side??
will be grateful to you for any advise and recommendations.

Thank you

Taro

[quote name='JMazz' timestamp='1313702021' post='3500061']
I had some spare time so I whipped one up in Excel. I'm pretty sure I worked all of the bugs out. It isn't anything flashy but it gets the job done. I've included an instruction tab and a macro in case you want to omit 16-18 as opposed to 17-18. I'm not sure if I can attach it here or not? I am giving it a shot.

Jared

EDIT: I guess that didn't work. Well, I have the excel file handy. If you can send me your email address or tell me how to attach things on this board I will send it out

[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

Jared

[/quote]

Great work JMazz. Excellent spreadsheet and will save me a lot of time.

As for Taro, i believe that if you go to the 'Mech' tab and click on the Omit 16 green button, this will allow for all 18 holes to be used.

Morgan

[quote name='Taro' timestamp='1337646373' post='4954246']
Hi JMazz,

Great work on your excel form for the Callaway scoring system..

I'M holding a two tee start competition and wanted to ask your advise on how to adjust the cells so that i can include both the 17th & 18th holes? Or perhaps another option might be to omit the last hole on each side??
will be grateful to you for any advise and recommendations.

Thank you

Taro

Jared

[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm not sure of your Excel skills so I'll try and spell this out as simply as I can. My intention is not to insult your intelligence but to make sure anyone else that wants to do this can do so with next to no Excel experience.

If you don't want to omit 17 and 18:
1. Unhide the hidden columns in the Scores tab. To do this, highlight the columns across the page, right click somewhere in the highlighted area and select "Unhide". This reveals the working cells
2. Highlight columns AN and AO
3. Hit Ctrl+F to activate the Find module and click the "Replace" tab
4. On the replace tab, enter "AJ" in the "Find what" line and "AL" in the "Replace with" line. (Omit the quotes when entering these things)
5. Click Replace All.
6. Rehide columns U-AQ

That should do the trick.

Omitting the 9th and 18th holes will be a bit trickier. Basically, what we did above is extend the range of the MAX functions in the formulas. That is, originally, the formulas in AN and AO are finding the highest scores in cells U-AL which have been adjusted for the double par rule. This find/replace simply extends that range out to column AL (or hole 18). To pick holes 9 and 18, you would need to take the MAX of the MAXes of 1-8 and 10-17 so instead of MAX(U4:AI4) you would have MAX(MAX(U4:AB4),MAX(AD4:AK4). I don't have time to test and vet this so no guarantees that there isn't some rounding error or something silly in there! For simplicity's sake, I would go with including all 18 holes. I would hope no one keeping that much of an eye on the leader board to be able to purposefully tank late in the game.

Also, while doing this exercise, I realized I made a pretty massive error when configuring the macros to omit or not omit hole 16. It was a quick fix so if anyone wants that update send me a PM and I'll hook you up. Apparently no one has been able to download directly from the forum. This error shouldn't have made a difference for anyone that was using the sheet "as is" or if you switched back to the original setting. Basically the macro was only changed the first player to omit 16, instead of the whole field

Jared

[quote name='Morgation' timestamp='1339003597' post='5041680']

Jared

[/quote]

As for Taro, i believe that if you go to the 'Mech' tab and click on the Omit 16 green button, this will allow for all 18 holes to be used.

Morgan
[/quote]

Just to clarify, the sheet in its base form, omits holes 17 and 18 from the handicap calculation (they still count towards your score). The "Omit 16" is supposed to also omit hole 16 from the calculation. That macro is fouled up and I've fixed it (Morgan, I'll send you the update). The above directions will allow you to omit no holes from the calculation if you so please.

Sorry for the double post!

Jared

EDIT: I've posted the updated in this post. Hopefully yall have a better time downloading it

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='JMazz' timestamp='1339007405' post='5042084']

Jared

[/quote]

Morgan
[/quote]

Just to clarify, the sheet in its base form, omits holes 17 and 18 from the handicap calculation (they still count towards your score). The "Omit 16" is supposed to also omit hole 16 from the calculation. That macro is fouled up and I've fixed it (Morgan, I'll send you the update). The above directions will allow you to omit no holes from the calculation if you so please.

Jared

EDIT: I've posted the updated in this post. Hopefully yall have a better time downloading it
[/quote]

I just got the spreadsheet from JMazz....it's awesome and has saved me hours of time from having to figure it out myself. Thanks a bunch!

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='JMazz' timestamp='1339007405' post='5042084']

Jared

[/quote]

Morgan
[/quote]

Jared

[/quote]

Hello Jmazz,

This is my first post on this forum.

I'm also coordinating a golf event in our company but we will be using the "Atlantic Handicap".

Can you please let me know how I can ammend your XLS to show the logic below? I would greatly appreciated.

Score Handicap
0 - 72 0
73 - 75 0.5
76 - 80 1
81 - 85 1.5
86 - 90 2
91 - 95 2.5
96 - 100 3
101 - 104 3.5
105 - 109 4
110 - 114 4.5
115 - 119 5
120 - 124 5.5
125 - 129 6
130 - 134 6.5

Thank you for your input.
Tony

Mark, after a quick look, here is what you can do to make the spreadsheet Par 71 compatible:

1. In the 'Mech' tab, Change the range of A18 through A80 to be 67-129 (instead of 68-130)
2. In the table at the top of that tab, subtract 1 from each score
3. In the 'Scores' tab, unhide all columns and go into cell AM4. In that cell, change 'T4>130' to 'T4>129' and drag that formula down through the rest of the cells in that column
4. Don't forget to put the correct par numbers in cells B2-S2

That should do the trick.

[quote name='mschaefer3' timestamp='1343860738' post='5392524']
[sub]JMazz - what adjustments do I need to make for a par 71 course?[/sub]

[sub]BTW, I was able to download from the forum post with no problems. . . [/sub]

[sub]thanks[/sub]
[sub]mark[/sub]
[/quote]

[quote name='orregoa' timestamp='1344528945' post='5437382']
Hello Jmazz,

I'm also coordinating a golf event in our company but we will be using the "Atlantic Handicap".

Can you please let me know how I can ammend your XLS to show the logic below? I would greatly appreciated.

Score Handicap
0 - 72 0
73 - 75 0.5
76 - 80 1
81 - 85 1.5
86 - 90 2
91 - 95 2.5
96 - 100 3
101 - 104 3.5
105 - 109 4
110 - 114 4.5
115 - 119 5
120 - 124 5.5
125 - 129 6
130 - 134 6.5

Tony
[/quote]

Hi Tony,

I'm not familiar with the Atlantic Handicap system but if I'm interpreting it correctly it's a much simpler file. Send me your email address in a PM and I'll forward you something that should do the trick.

Also, to all, after a request to switch the sheet to Par 71, I am going to attempt to work a universal sheet that lets you change from one par total to another. I don't think it will be a tough task... I'll post it when I get a chance to play with it. For anyone using the sheet, let me know how your experience goes!

Jared

AWESOME JOB BY JARED!!! THE SPREADSHEET WAS PERFECT AND I WAS ABLE TO MAKE CHANGES FOR OTHER COURSE PARS!!! WAY TO GO!! Thank you SOOOOOO much for sharing your expertise with the rest of us. After a couple of days, I probably could have figured it out, but it's SOOOO nice to start with a finished product and make minor edits when necessary!! Our 40-year family tournament will be greatly boosted by having such a great tool at our disposal. Happy golfing everyone!

[quote name='kikiscrap' timestamp='1345264380' post='5493078']
AWESOME JOB BY JARED!!! THE SPREADSHEET WAS PERFECT AND I WAS ABLE TO MAKE CHANGES FOR OTHER COURSE PARS!!! WAY TO GO!! Thank you SOOOOOO much for sharing your expertise with the rest of us. After a couple of days, I probably could have figured it out, but it's SOOOO nice to start with a finished product and make minor edits when necessary!! Our 40-year family tournament will be greatly boosted by having such a great tool at our disposal. Happy golfing everyone!
[/quote]

Forgot to ask about the scoring chart...what if a player (obviously not a good one) scores more than 130 (par 72)? do you just extend the table following the same format? clearly they won't be the winner! Thanks

[quote name='JMazz' timestamp='1344957004' post='5469318']
[quote name='orregoa' timestamp='1344528945' post='5437382']
Hello Jmazz,

Score Handicap
0 - 72 0
73 - 75 0.5
76 - 80 1
81 - 85 1.5
86 - 90 2
91 - 95 2.5
96 - 100 3
101 - 104 3.5
105 - 109 4
110 - 114 4.5
115 - 119 5
120 - 124 5.5
125 - 129 6
130 - 134 6.5

Tony
[/quote]

Hi Tony,

I'm not familiar with the Atlantic Handicap system but if I'm interpreting it correctly it's a much simpler file. Send me your email address in a PM and I'll forward you something that should do the trick.

Also, to all, after a request to switch the sheet to Par 71, I am going to attempt to work a universal sheet that lets you change from one par total to another. I don't think it will be a tough task... I'll post it when I get a chance to play with it. For anyone using the sheet, let me know how your experience goes!

Jared
[/quote]

Thank you, I was able to figure out this myself with a vlookup table.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello JMazz:

Using your workbook as a starting point, I've developed another version that implements the Scheid variation of the Calloway scoring system that is supposedly better suited for events with high handicappers. I've also added the ability to accommodate course par ratings of 70, 71, and 72. The workbook also includes a Leader Board sheet that lists all players ranked by net score.

Updated the workbook so that it can be used for a four round tournament .. will try to re-attach here:

Updated version 3.1 re bug fix:

[attachment=1344613:Scheid -Calloway-Tournament-Scorecard-v3.1.xls]

I appreciate the enthusiasm kiki. As far as guys shooting more than 130, I guess I just assumed that since that guy probably won't be winning, it isn't a big deal to not have them calculated! If you have enough guys scoring more than 130 you might want to take a look at ehbee's Scheid sheet (above one post) that goes up to 150. It is a quality program as well. It's nice to see guys coming in and making things better

[quote name='kikiscrap' timestamp='1345264569' post='5493094']
[quote name='kikiscrap' timestamp='1345264380' post='5493078']
[/quote]

Forgot to ask about the scoring chart...what if a player (obviously not a good one) scores more than 130 (par 72)? do you just extend the table following the same format? clearly they won't be the winner! Thanks
[/quote]

[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1346639965' post='5576855']
Hello JMazz:

Using your workbook as a starting point, I've developed another version that implements the Scheid variation of the Calloway scoring system that is supposedly better suited for events with high handicappers. I've also added the ability to accommodate course par ratings of 70, 71, and 72. The workbook also includes a Leader Board sheet that lists all players ranked by net score.

Updated the workbook so that it can be used for a four round tournament .. will try to re-attach here:
[/quote]

I'll admit ehbee, seeing your sheet motivated me to get mine updated! I used your formatting as a template (I hope you don't mind!) and was able to configure the sheet so it automatically takes the par of the course into account. If anyone wants an update let me know and I'll feel free to email it to you! No guarantee there aren't any bugs but it seems to work fine in some short test runs.

Jared

[sub]Found aa bug in the Scheid scorecard variation posted earlier, so I'm re-posting a corrected version. Also added the option for a PAR 73 course as was requested in an another post. Also added the option to manually enter the hole numbers to be omitted from the "Worst hole(s) stroke deduction" calculation. Previous version defaulted to holes 17 and 18 ... this version provides the flexibility to enter up to 3 holes to be excluded from this calculation.[/sub]

[sub]Andy[/sub]

[sub][attachment=1339909:Scheid -Calloway-Tournament-Scorecard-v3.xls][/sub]

[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1347166101' post='5610335']
[sub]Found aa bug in the Scheid scorecard variation posted earlier, so I'm re-posting a corrected version. Also added the option for a PAR 73 course as was requested in an another post. Also added the option to manually enter the hole numbers to be omitted from the "Worst hole(s) stroke deduction" calculation. Previous version defaulted to holes 17 and 18 ... this version provides the flexibility to enter up to 3 holes to be excluded from this calculation.[/sub]

[sub]Andy[/sub]

[sub][attachment=1339909:Scheid -Calloway-Tournament-Scorecard-v3.xls][/sub]
[/quote]

Andy, this version doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying to track down where it is going wrong... I'm sure it's an easy bug fix, but I don't understand it well enough yet... I LOVE this sheet!!!

Thanks,
Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Found it. Only on the page for round one scores. In the columns checking hole by hole to see if the hole should be omitted, the dollar sign was left out of the formula. In every cell:

=IF(Day1OmitA=AS7,0,(IF(Day1OmitB=AS7,0,(IF(Day1OmitC=AS7,0,Y11)))))

We need the dollar sign in front of the proper row for the hole number.

Should be as done on other pages:

=IF(Day1OmitA=AS$7,0,(IF(Day1OmitB=AS$7,0,(IF(Day1OmitC=AS$7,0,Y11)))))

Thanks again for a GREAT sheet guys!!!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again