Callaway Scoring System Excel Sheet

[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1347198797' post='5611135']
Found it. Only on the page for round one scores. In the columns checking hole by hole to see if the hole should be omitted, the dollar sign was left out of the formula. In every cell:

=IF(Day1OmitA=AS7,0,(IF(Day1OmitB=AS7,0,(IF(Day1OmitC=AS7,0,Y11)))))

We need the dollar sign in front of the proper row for the hole number.

Should be as done on other pages:

=IF(Day1OmitA=AS$7,0,(IF(Day1OmitB=AS$7,0,(IF(Day1OmitC=AS$7,0,Y11)))))

Thanks again for a GREAT sheet guys!!!

Kevin
[/quote]

[size=5]Thanks for the trouble-shooting Kevin ... not sure how I missed that one, but I offer no guarantees that are no bugs. I've already found a few. [/size]

[size=5]I've made the change that you've noted and have attached here as v3.1. Please advise if you see any other anomolies. [/size]

[size=5]Andy[/size]

[size=5][attachment=1340453:Scheid -Calloway-Tournament-Scorecard-v3.1.xls][/size]

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1347228341' post='5613221']
[quote name='kevcarter ' timestamp='1347198797' post='5611135']
Found it. Only on the page for round one scores. In the columns checking hole by hole to see if the hole should be omitted, the dollar sign was left out of the formula. In every cell:

=IF(Day1OmitA=AS7,0,(IF(Day1OmitB=AS7,0,(IF(Day1OmitC=AS7,0,Y11)))))

We need the dollar sign in front of the proper row for the hole number.

Should be as done on other pages:

=IF(Day1OmitA=AS$7,0,(IF(Day1OmitB=AS$7,0,(IF(Day1OmitC=AS$7,0,Y11)))))

Thanks again for a GREAT sheet guys!!!

Kevin
[/quote]

[size=5]Thanks for the trouble-shooting Kevin ... not sure how I missed that one, but I offer no guarantees that are no bugs. I've already found a few. [/size]

[size=5]I've made the change that you've noted and have attached here as v3.1. Please advise if you see any other anomolies. [/size]

[size=5]Andy[/size]

[size=5][attachment=1340453:Scheid -Calloway-Tournament-Scorecard-v3.1.xls][/size]
[/quote]

Thanks Andy!!!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='orregoa' timestamp='1345493629' post='5504982']
Can a match play scoring be implemented to template?
[/quote]
Spreadsheet for match play scoring could be implemented ... just need to know how you expect handicapping to be handled. Normally, in match play, handicaps are known and can be applied hole by hole, so the winner of a hole can be determined as soon as the hole is completed. With a Calloway type handicap calculation, the handicap is not know until after the round is completed. It would be possible to apply the Calloway handicap on a hole by hole basis after the round is completed, but you would have no indication during the round which player was leading. Do you know the handicaps to be applied at the beginning of the round?

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this thread this morning after searching for a "golf scorecard" app. I just got a new smartphone and was wondering if there was an app out there where I could keep all and my buddies scores and keep track of bets. Well I couldn't find one to keep track of betting but I can view and edit spreadsheets on my phone so I decided to create one. The hard part was creating a virtual "scoreboard" which would indicate who was beating whom at any point during a round. I finally figured it out and thought I'd share in case anyone else was looking for something similar. See between my foursome we have 5 different bets going on at the same time. Of the 5 matches the 1st, 3rd and 4th matches are match play ($1 per hole). The 3rd match is straight up (no handicap). 2nd and 5th matches are $1 match play nassau with handicap (you can only win or lose $3 max total).

If you want to edit you simply change the pars for each hole and handicaps. If someone is playing different tees or you simply want to change the bet of a different match without changing the handicap you can edit rows 19-23.

The "live scoreboard" keeps track of the bets as each hole progresses and reads what a player is winning or losing from left to right. For example in the virtual scorecard tab (1st match) Robert loses $1 in my match to Ervin Wells and in the second match won $1 for both the front nine and total from Mike Ritchotte. In the 5th match Mike Wilson wins the front, loses the back, and therefore ties the total in his $1 nassau match play bet with Mike Ritchotte.

Feel free to use, comment and let me know of any mistakes. (edited to correct earlier mistake). Just to clarify the scores are entered in the "virtual scorecard" tab. I found this compact scorecard was easier to see and use on a smartphone. The scores are linked to the cells in the "data" tab. Match results in the "data" tab are then linked to the "virtual scorecard" tab.

[attachment=1363989:Golf_Bets_09282012.xls]

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread. Jared-You are a maniac!

I will certainly keep this thread pinned for later. What an awesome site!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just want to say thanks for the great programs, but i believe they are all flawed in one aspect
When figuring out your calloway score in these programs the double par rule is not being figured out correctly

Double par is the maximum the can be counted on any hole and it must be adjusted and factored into the gross score before any hole deductions are made.

for example, if you use jarreds last program and enter a 10 into hole 7 and 8, and then enter a 5 into every other hole, you would come up with a total of 100.
using the rules of the callaway scoring system, both of the 10's that were entered were on par4's, therefore those 10's become an 8 (double par would be 8). This drops your total gross score by 4 strokes, from 100 to 96. Using the rules of calloway scoring, 96 would be the score that you are suppose in use and find in the chart to make the appropriate deductions.

If you enter that round of 100 into either of the different programs here (the ones using the "real" original callaway deductions) the score of 100 will show up with a calloway score of 78. In actuality, if you apply the double par rule, that calloway score should be a 76.

I realize the easy fix here would be to make those adjustments manually and physically change those 10's into 8's when filling in the scorecard, but is there an easy way to have it written directly into the program?

Thanks again,

Chris

[quote name='applegrower' timestamp='1354328397' post='6002891']
Hi,

Just want to say thanks for the great programs, but i believe they are all flawed in one aspect
When figuring out your calloway score in these programs the double par rule is not being figured out correctly

Double par is the maximum the can be counted on any hole and it must be adjusted and factored into the gross score before any hole deductions are made.

for example, if you use jarreds last program and enter a 10 into hole 7 and 8, and then enter a 5 into every other hole, you would come up with a total of 100.
using the rules of the callaway scoring system, both of the 10's that were entered were on par4's, therefore those 10's become an 8 (double par would be 8). This drops your total gross score by 4 strokes, from 100 to 96. Using the rules of calloway scoring, 96 would be the score that you are suppose in use and find in the chart to make the appropriate deductions.

If you enter that round of 100 into either of the different programs here (the ones using the "real" original callaway deductions) the score of 100 will show up with a calloway score of 78. In actuality, if you apply the double par rule, that calloway score should be a 76.

I realize the easy fix here would be to make those adjustments manually and physically change those 10's into 8's when filling in the scorecard, but is there an easy way to have it written directly into the program?

Thanks again,

Chris
[/quote]

Hi again,

Even the simple addition of an extra column may help

enter the total scores from your scorecard and then have the following columns
one for your total gross score
one for your adjusted gross score (after any stokes over double par are subtracted)
one for your calloway score (after the correct amount of holes and scores are taken from the adjusted gross score total)

Even the way the program currently is, it will still make things so much easier for our yearly week long group trip that we take every year and will save us all kinds of time and arguing

Thanks again
Chris

First off, that Callaway spreadsheet is AMAZING! Thanks to Jared and Kevin (and all) for their work and tweaks. Although I dabble a bit with spreadsheets, knowing where to put the $ sign still blows my mind!

THANKS!

Next project if you please......

I'm looking (fruitlessly) for a[b] handicapped[/b] skins spreadsheet where we can input the handicaps and hole by hole scores as the scorecards are turned in.

Simple rules, low net score (par or better) wins the skin, winning cell gets marked or highlighted.

Ability to change the course (hole pars and handicaps)) on the fly.

Add/delete players easily. Up to 40 players.

As an added (but not required) bonus, we would like to highlight the winners of the 4 "greenies" regardless of skin.

Dreamworld: Input name "Bob" handicap "9", then Bobs' hole by hole scores. Spreadsheet adjusts scores by hole handicap (Bob gets a blow on each of the 9 hardest holes). Compares scores to all other players, finds lowest net score in column and highlights it....

I've looked around for a spreadsheet to accomplish this, but have had no success. I think this would be a great addition to this thread.

Thanks in advance!

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 1 month later...

[quote name='applegrower' timestamp='1354328397' post='6002891']
Hi,

Thanks again,

Chris
[/quote]The double par maximum rule is ONLY used to calculate the ADJUSTED gross score which is then used to lookup the worst hole stroke deduction from the handicap table. Once the worst hole stroke deduction + the adjustment factor is calculated, this becomes the handicap which is then deducted from the players GROSS score ... not the ADJUSTED gross score.

The attached link contains a great description of the process complete with detailed examples of how the process works, so I believe that the programs posted here are implementing the calculation correctly.

[url="http://www.leaderboard.com/callaway.htm"]http://www.leaderboard.com/callaway.htm[/url]

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1354367645' post='6003969']
First off, that Callaway spreadsheet is AMAZING! Thanks to Jared and Kevin (and all) for their work and tweaks. Although I dabble a bit with spreadsheets, knowing where to put the $ sign still blows my mind!

THANKS!

Next project if you please......

I'm looking (fruitlessly) for a[b] handicapped[/b] skins spreadsheet where we can input the handicaps and hole by hole scores as the scorecards are turned in.

Simple rules, low net score (par or better) wins the skin, winning cell gets marked or highlighted.

Ability to change the course (hole pars and handicaps)) on the fly.

Add/delete players easily. Up to 40 players.

As an added (but not required) bonus, we would like to highlight the winners of the 4 "greenies" regardless of skin.

Dreamworld: Input name "Bob" handicap "9", then Bobs' hole by hole scores. Spreadsheet adjusts scores by hole handicap (Bob gets a blow on each of the 9 hardest holes). Compares scores to all other players, finds lowest net score in column and highlights it....

I've looked around for a spreadsheet to accomplish this, but have had no success. I think this would be a great addition to this thread.

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

I have another spreadsheet that does calculate and flag skins for our annual golf get-a-way trip, but currently it will only accommodate a field of 16 golfers, and we play 4-man team skins. The program could be adjusted for individual skins and a larger field. Can you give me a hint on the other rules that you've mentioned? What is a "greenie"? Also ,,, I'm going to assume that your comment that Bob gets a "blow" on each of the 9 hardest holes implies that he gets a 1 score deduction on handicap holes 1 through 9.

If you can provide some additional details, I'll see what I can come up with.

[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1357705433' post='6194949']

I have another spreadsheet that does calculate and flag skins for our annual golf get-a-way trip, but currently it will only accommodate a field of 16 golfers, and we play 4-man team skins. The program could be adjusted for individual skins and a larger field. Can you give me a hint on the other rules that you've mentioned? What is a "greenie"? Also ,,, I'm going to assume that your comment that Bob gets a "blow" on each of the 9 hardest holes implies that he gets a 1 score deduction on handicap holes 1 through 9.

[/quote]

Thanks!

Yes a blow would be a stroke :)

A greenie is the shot closest to the pin on a par 3, however, that feature is [b][u]very unimportant [/u][/b]for this particular project since they are just figured and paid separately.

So we have about 20-40 guys in this game with handicaps ranging from 1-18, most, but not all show up weekly, so the ability to change participants on the fly is key. We would also like to input the scores as the players finish (in no fixed order).

Also, this is an individual game.

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1357747778' post='6196995']
[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1357705433' post='6194949']

[/quote]

Thanks!

Yes a blow would be a stroke :)

A greenie is the shot closest to the pin on a par 3, however, that feature is [b][u]very unimportant [/u][/b]for this particular project since they are just figured and paid separately.

So we have about 20-40 guys in this game with handicaps ranging from 1-18, most, but not all show up weekly, so the ability to change participants on the fly is key. We would also like to input the scores as the players finish (in no fixed order).

Also, this is an individual game.

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Have a peek at the attached spreadseet and see if this does what you're after. The original spreadsheet was created in Excel 2010 (.xlsx format) but it seems I'm preventing from uploading this kind of file, so I've saved in the Excel 2003 format (.xls). This conversion may have removed the formatting that highlights the skins (which I think was the whole point of your request) ... if so, maybe you can post an email address that I could forward the 2010 format file to you directly.

[attachment=1486061:SkinsTourney-v3.xls]

WOW! That is about as close to perfect as I could have imagined! Thanks SOOOOOOO Much!

Although I won't be able to test it in real life anytime soon, I am going to input some former games into it just to get a feel for the sheet.

Again, THANK YOU!

If you're ever in Pittsburgh, or just headed somewhere south on route 79, let me know and do stop by, I owe ya one! :drinks:

I will shoot you a PM with my email if you wouldn't mind sending me the 2010 version of the sheet.

• 3 weeks later...

...also, in the Callaway system, the largest handicap permitted is 50. For example, if a player scored 8 on every hole of a course that had par values of 4 on every hole, he would be entitled to a deduction of 7 1/2 holes with a gross score of 144. So, according to the table, the calculated handicap would be (7 * 8) + 4 + 1 = 61. In the Callaway world, this would be reduced to 50 resulting in a net Callaway score of 144 - 50 = 94. 144 - 61 = 83 would be incorrect. I don't know if the Scheid variation has the same restriction.

[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1347166101' post='5610335']
[sub]Found aa bug in the Scheid scorecard variation posted earlier, so I'm re-posting a corrected version. Also added the option for a PAR 73 course as was requested in an another post. Also added the option to manually enter the hole numbers to be omitted from the "Worst hole(s) stroke deduction" calculation. Previous version defaulted to holes 17 and 18 ... this version provides the flexibility to enter up to 3 holes to be excluded from this calculation.[/sub]

[sub]Andy[/sub]

[sub][attachment=1339909:Scheid -Calloway-Tournament-Scorecard-v3.xls][/sub]
[/quote]

This spreadsheet is great! Any chance you can convert the scoring from the Scheid to the standard Callaway Scoring System? Can that be done easily?

Thanks.

[quote name='E.I' timestamp='1359658745' post='6338019']
[sub]Found aa bug in the Scheid scorecard variation posted earlier, so I'm re-posting a corrected version. Also added the option for a PAR 73 course as was requested in an another post. Also added the option to manually enter the hole numbers to be omitted from the "Worst hole(s) stroke deduction" calculation. Previous version defaulted to holes 17 and 18 ... this version provides the flexibility to enter up to 3 holes to be excluded from this calculation.[/sub]

[sub]Andy[/sub]

[/quote]

This spreadsheet is great! Any chance you can convert the scoring from the Scheid to the standard Callaway Scoring System? Can that be done easily?

Thanks.
[/quote]Yes .. it can be converted to the Callaway Scoring System. I'll post when I've had a chance to make the changes. Currently in Mexico ... on a golfing holiday :golfer:

[quote name='photofox55' timestamp='1359503937' post='6325295']
...also, in the Callaway system, the largest handicap permitted is 50. For example, if a player scored 8 on every hole of a course that had par values of 4 on every hole, he would be entitled to a deduction of 7 1/2 holes with a gross score of 144. So, according to the table, the calculated handicap would be (7 * 8) + 4 + 1 = 61. In the Callaway world, this would be reduced to 50 resulting in a net Callaway score of 144 - 50 = 94. 144 - 61 = 83 would be incorrect. I don't know if the Scheid variation has the same restriction.
[/quote]
I was unable to find a definitive answer on whether or not the Scheid variation implements the same handicap max at 50 strokes ... can anybody else provide any feedback? At the moment the spreadsheet that I've posted does not implement this restriction, since I couldn't find any information that it indeed applies.

[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1359754408' post='6345715']

[sub]Andy[/sub]

[/quote]

Thanks.
[/quote]Yes .. it can be converted to the Callaway Scoring System. I'll post when I've had a chance to make the changes. Currently in Mexico ... on a golfing holiday :golfer:
[/quote]

Great thanks!! Enjoy Mexico.... I will be looking out for the spreadsheet!

[sub]Andy[/sub]

[/quote]

Thanks.
[/quote]

Here is a version of the spreadsheeet using the Callaway handicap tables ... also posting an updated copy of the Scheid spreadsheet ... both versions implement the maximum handicap deduction of 50 strokes. Unable to upload spreadsheets in .xlsx format, so files have been resaved in .xls format so some conditional formatting may be lost.

Fixed bug in Callaway-Tournament-Scorecard ... re-posted v1.2
Fixed bug in Scheidd-Calloway-Tournament-Scorecard ... re-posted v3.5

[attachment=1527399:Callaway-Tournament-Scorecard-v1.1.xls]
[attachment=1527401:Scheid -Calloway-Tournament-Scorecard-v3.2.xls]

[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1360296667' post='6385857']

Here is a version of the spreadsheeet using the Callaway handicap tables ... also posting an updated copy of the Scheid spreadsheet ... both versions implement the maximum handicap deduction of 50 strokes. Unable to upload spreadsheets in .xlsx format, so files have been resaved in .xls format so some conditional formatting may be lost.

[/quote]

Amazing!

I nominate ehbee for GOLFWRX chief spreadsheet designer!

How was Mexico?

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1360323351' post='6386755']

[/quote]

Amazing!

I nominate ehbee for GOLFWRX chief spreadsheet designer!

How was Mexico?
[/quote]
Mexico was great ... nice course! Nicklaus Design ... challenging but fair ... consistent greens. Lots of water ... the yardage book doesn't call these hazards, but refers to them as "features" ... guess that's because of all the crocodiles :swoon:

[sub]Andy[/sub]

[/quote]

Thanks.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks a lot - Spreadsheet looks great from first glance!! I appreciate all your help! Glad to hear your trip to Mexico went well! Never golfed there before but hoping to make the trip sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ehbee' timestamp='1365731909' post='6815841']
[quote name='CStone22' timestamp='1364189494' post='6686253']
This is great. Would there be a way to randomize the holes that are omitted?
[/quote]Maybe ... let me give it some thought.
[/quote]OK ... here's a new version (3.0) that lets you select either random holes to be omitted or manually specify them. Hope this is satisfactory. Note that some formatting may be lost, since I have to post this file in Excel 97 format.

OK ... three unsuccessful attempts to post the file ... not sure what the problem is, so let's try a link to skydrive:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3ED922C7121FF0E9!126

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I have a question.

The callaway system is supposed to be used in a one day event. But ehbee's version has a leader board, where one can play up to four rounds. I like the idea, and possibility. My question is. In a tournament like this, it is relatively easy to get ties. What are the rules in this situation? Let's say, player 5, 8 and 12 are tied in first place. what is the tiebraker? Is there enay "official" rule, or can they be made up?

Thank you, and great job on this spreadsheets (I used the Sheid, 3.5 version, and adapted it for our needs.)

[quote name='Paul Janzen' timestamp='1366908805' post='6916107']
Hello everyone!

I have a question.

The callaway system is supposed to be used in a one day event. But ehbee's version has a leader board, where one can play up to four rounds. I like the idea, and possibility. My question is. In a tournament like this, it is relatively easy to get ties. What are the rules in this situation? Let's say, player 5, 8 and 12 are tied in first place. what is the tiebraker? Is there enay "official" rule, or can they be made up?

Thank you, and great job on this spreadsheets (I used the Sheid, 3.5 version, and adapted it for our needs.)
[/quote]

Yes indeed, there is a method to settle ties called retrogression ... here is a link to the RCGA rules of golf that outlines a method to settle ties (see Appendix I, section 10 on page 143.

http://www.rcga.org/_uploads/documents/2012%20RCGA%20RULES%20OF%20GOLF.pdf

This 'recommended' method evaluates the sum of the last 9 holes, lowest score wins. If still tied compare the sum of the last 6 holes, lowest score wins. If still tied, compare sum of the last 3 holes, lowest score wins. If still tied compare the score on the last hole - low score wins.

Personally, I don't like this method ... I think it arbitrarily places more importance on the last nine holes and ignores the first nine. The method that I think is a better approach is to work backwards from the 18th hole. If player A and player B are tied after 18 holes, compare the scores on the 18th hole. The player with the HIGHER score on 18 is the winner. This sounds counter intuitive, but when you think about it, this is correct ... the fact that player B had to shoot a lower score than player A on the 18th hole to get into a tie means that player A had a lower cumulative score through 17 holes and is therefore the winner via retrogression. If the scores on 18 are the same, look at the 17th hole and repeat the process .. golfer with the HIGHER score wins via retrogression. If still tied, go to the 16th hole etc. etc. In my opinion this a better approach since it uses the scores from as many holes as possible to determine the winner, and it is easy to do ... you just need to compare score cards backwards from 18 and find the first hole where the scores are not tied, and the golfer with the highest score is the winner. No need to add scores from several holes, so it's easy for arithmetically challenged people like me!