2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What is a "tour rat" putter?

rainbowsox10

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='King Kobra' timestamp='1319396435' post='3708159']
Please clarify... Is this the extra money that they will charge for the putters or the extra money they pay pros to use the putters or both?

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1319394247' post='3708069']
This is the major difference.

[attachment=892731:pay-money-300x199.jpg]
[/quote]
[/quote]
If I am correct, he is saying how expensive the Tour Rats are. They can get up to $3000 or more at some points. The Scotty retail putters will not be close to as expensive, but they will look similar to the Tour Rat. My guess is they will be around $375.

[quote name='littleprov1x' timestamp='1319420171' post='3709665']
Occupy Scotty Cameron
[/quote]

Ha ha, +1 They really are not that special. I love my odyssey and nike, well the nike was $250 but the Odyssey was only $170. I see no point in buying a putter just because it's special, a $3,000 putter won't make you ben crenshaw.

[quote name='Shankopattamus' timestamp='1319397315' post='3708199']
[quote name='King Kobra' timestamp='1319396435' post='3708159']
Please clarify... Is this the extra money that they will charge for the putters or the extra money they pay pros to use the putters or both?

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' timestamp='1319394247' post='3708069']
This is the major difference.

[attachment=892731:pay-money-300x199.jpg]
[/quote]
[/quote]
If I am correct, he is saying how expensive the Tour Rats are. They can get up to $3000 or more at some points. The Scotty retail putters will not be close to as expensive, but they will look similar to the Tour Rat. My guess is they will be around $375.
[/quote]
Exactly. No Scotty hate, just stating the obvious, tour Rats are stamped out to price out. That is the primary difference.

No hating, honest. Even if I won the Power Ball Lotery, I would not buy a Scotty Cameron putter, at least of any that they currently offer. I've tried A LOT of them and have yet to find one that fits. I prefer a center shaft mallet style and the only one that is in the current line is a Tour only Kombi which just does not float my boat. To each his own. If you like them and have the cash, go for it. I personaly would rather spend the thousands of dollars on a trip to Pebble Beach and Spy Glass.

[quote name='SteveL1' timestamp='1319431395' post='3710269']
No hating, honest. Even if I won the Power Ball Lotery, I would not buy a Scotty Cameron putter, at least of any that they currently offer. I've tried A LOT of them and have yet to find one that fits. I prefer a center shaft mallet style and the only one that is in the current line is a Tour only Kombi which just does not float my boat. To each his own. If you like them and have the cash, go for it. I personaly would rather spend the thousands of dollars on a trip to Pebble Beach and Spy Glass.
[/quote]

Just curious then, why post in a Scotty Cameron thread? About a putter that you know you have no interest in? That would be like me posting in a Callaway driver thread. I wouldn't because I have no interest in them and would never purchase them like you said even if I won the Power Ball. Sometimes I think a lot of arguments and BS start around here because everyone throws in their 2 cents on things that don't even interest them. Not that you did anything wrong just saying that's how it seems to start most arguments.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1319435104' post='3710345']
Just curious then, why post in a Scotty Cameron thread? About a putter that you know you have no interest in? That would be like me posting in a Callaway driver thread. I wouldn't because I have no interest in them and would never purchase them like you said even if I won the Power Ball. [b] Sometimes I think a lot of arguments and BS start around here because everyone throws in their 2 cents on things that don't even interest them. Not that you did anything wrong just saying that's how it seems to start most arguments.
[/b][/quote]

Is that not what "forums" are all about? Everything is subjective and everyone has an opinion. I don't like Callaway stuff either and rarely go into Callaway threads, but now and then I do. I want to see what others are talking about, and I may even want to tell others just what I don't like about them.

Step back, have a smoke, have a drink or whatever. Its only golf.:drinks:

[quote name='BogeyDog11' timestamp='1319502966' post='3713393']
Just curious then, why post in a Scotty Cameron thread? About a putter that you know you have no interest in? That would be like me posting in a Callaway driver thread. I wouldn't because I have no interest in them and would never purchase them like you said even if I won the Power Ball. [b] Sometimes I think a lot of arguments and BS start around here because everyone throws in their 2 cents on things that don't even interest them. Not that you did anything wrong just saying that's how it seems to start most arguments.
[/b][/quote]

Is that not what "forums" are all about? Everything is subjective and everyone has an opinion. I don't like Callaway stuff either and rarely go into Callaway threads, but now and then I do. I want to see what others are talking about, and I may even want to tell others just what I don't like about them.

[b]Step back, have a smoke, have a drink or whatever. Its only golf.[/b]:drinks:
[/quote]

Lol come on man, at least take your own advice with all the Cameron discussions you've been involved in lately. Absolutely, open forum about golf...go ahead and discuss. I just don't understand why anyone that has no interest in a product or the future purchase of a product would discuss said product. Trust me, I don't take the forums seriously....I like to joke around, have a good time and help people with shaft fitting advice when I can. I happen to have some free time at work this time of the year so I read a lot. I'll just never understand why anyone would throw their 2 cents in about a product they're not interested in, that would be trolling. But if that's how you enjoy GolfWRX then by all means, carry on.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I can't believe a couple stamps here and there or a different finish can make the price go up to the thousands! I tried the black rat and it feels very soft, but it didn't help me make more putts. I never understood why the average golfer would pay money for this. You don't look good with your equipment, you look good with your scores

Tour Rat CT Putters (Tour Only) vs. Tour Rat OTR Putters (Retail, off the rack) will not be identical however they will have similar characteristics...Personally, I prefer the CT Version however Scotty has hit a home run with this design (The CT has more finishes available, special stampings, etc...). He mentioned to me last summer that Titleist was telling him he needed more boxy and rounded looks like the newport and hence the Tour Rat (which is basically a mix of many different influences from prior designs; sort of like a "Best Of") is becoming extremely popular in design. The key design is the thick top line and soft sound....go get'em this will definitely a big seller in 2012!

Cheers!

#TeamTitleist
#TCC
#FJA
#VokeyWedges
Insta: @Chris92009

[quote name='SteveL1' timestamp='1319431395' post='3710269']
[/quote]

Just curious then, why post in a Scotty Cameron thread? About a putter that you know you have no interest in? That would be like me posting in a Callaway driver thread. I wouldn't because I have no interest in them and would never purchase them like you said even if I won the Power Ball. Sometimes I think a lot of arguments and BS start around here because everyone throws in their 2 cents on things that don't even interest them. Not that you did anything wrong just saying that's how it seems to start most arguments.
[/quote]

I agree J.W. That's why I always take this guy's advice when it comes to any thread:

[quote name='BogeyDog11' timestamp='1290386596' post='2801627']
"Better to be silent and let everyone think your an idiot, then to speak and remove all doubt".

This site just needs a "Dirty Laundry" section where these guys with chips on their shoulders can go and amuse themselves everyday over and over and over and over and over and..................
I'm no Cameron fan but to have the same guys sing the same tune in each and every Cameron thread is just plain boring.
[/quote]

Words of wisdom. :)

Cobra Fly-Z Driver 9.5
RocketBallz Stage 2 Fairway
Callaway X-Hot Hybrids
AMP CELL Irons 5-GW
NIckent ARC Wedge
MacGregor M5K Putter

[quote name='Chris92009' timestamp='1319544559' post='3714893']
Tour Rat CT Putters (Tour Only) vs. Tour Rat OTR Putters (Retail, off the rack) will not be identical however they will have similar characteristics...Personally, I prefer the CT Version however Scotty has hit a home run with this design (The CT has more finishes available, special stampings, etc...). He mentioned to me last summer that Titleist was telling him he needed more boxy and rounded looks like the newport and hence the Tour Rat (which is basically a mix of many different influences from prior designs; sort of like a "Best Of") is becoming extremely popular in design. The key design is the thick top line and soft sound....go get'em this will definitely a big seller in 2012!

Cheers!
[/quote]

Properly fitted, which will you make more putts with? Just curious.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1319551874' post='3715323']

Cheers!
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you put both putters on a machine that stroked putts for you then there would be no difference. If you're more confident in your $80 putter than your $2,500 putter then you'll make more putts with it...and vice versa. This is a dumb argument because people are free to spend their money however they want. No different than a 10 handicap spending $200 on a driver shaft when a stock shaft will work just fine because lets be honest as a 10 handicap you hardly have a repeatable swing. No different then spending $30,000-100,000 (or more in some cases) on that new car that you've wanted when you can go to Bill's Car lot and buy a dependable car for $5,000 that does the same thing. No different than buying that new Rolex or Tag for $3,000-10,000 when you could go to your local place and a $50 Timex or $100 Fossil. Nobody here has ever bought a high end tailored suit have they? Or expensive jeans, shirts, polos, golf pants, etc. You can buy $20 golf pants at Macy's why spend $80 on the new Nike tech pants? Why spend $200 on the new TW golf shoes or FJ Icons if you can get closeout Green Joys for $40. I can go on and on and on and on........

If the dude wants to spend $2,500 on a putter, go for it. It is after all, his money.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1319554468' post='3715585']
[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1319551874' post='3715323']

Cheers!
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you put both putters on a machine that stroked putts for you then there would be no difference. If you're more confident in your $80 putter than your $2,500 putter then you'll make more putts with it...and vice versa. This is a dumb argument because people are free to spend their money however they want. No different than a 10 handicap spending $200 on a driver shaft when a stock shaft will work just fine because lets be honest as a 10 handicap you hardly have a repeatable swing. No different then spending $30,000-100,000 (or more in some cases) on that new car that you've wanted when you can go to Bill's Car lot and buy a dependable car for $5,000 that does the same thing. No different than buying that new Rolex or Tag for $3,000-10,000 when you could go to your local place and a $50 Timex or $100 Fossil. Nobody here has ever bought a high end tailored suit have they? Or expensive jeans, shirts, polos, golf pants, etc. You can buy $20 golf pants at Macy's why spend $80 on the new Nike tech pants? Why spend $200 on the new TW golf shoes or FJ Icons if you can get closeout Green Joys for $40. I can go on and on and on and on........

If the dude wants to spend $2,500 on a putter, go for it. It is after all, his money.
[/quote]

I can promise you if you're a good putter, it won't matter how much the putter costs as to how many putts you'll make. If you suck at putting, you're not going to improve that with a putter's price tag. I don't care how one spends their money, to be honest, but to say a putter is a better putter and you'll putt better with it because it costs more so you'll be more confident in it is hogwash. Either you can putt or you can't. What's critical to putting? Reading the green and getting the line and pace right. Confidence in a golf club means nothing unless you have issues. I can be confident in any putter I own, so I should never miss a putt? Most likely at some point I will. Putting comes down to talent not confidence. Making an argument that confidence plays any role in the success to me, is asinine. It's talent and either you have it or you don't. a $2500 putter isn't going to make one bit of difference in one's ability to putt. Being properly fit will though, and if you putt side by side two putters properly fit, one retail and one tour in a test where you dont know which is which I'd be willing to bet you'd putt equally as well.

[quote name='theshining' timestamp='1319583529' post='3717653']
it's all about having something that everybody else doesn't have. exclusivity sells. you can't hate on scotty or byron. they are masters at creating desire.

if something costs more, it has to be better...... right?

[/quote]

Duh. Everyone knows that.