Penta Tp3 Cousin of Red?

Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL!Members Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Apr 3, 2012 in Golf Balls #1
Is this as close as we will get to the beloved TP Red?
Look I'm one of the famed followers of the Red and we all look for the next "red"...and I firmly believe its still not to be found. However I have played the tp3 and I don't know what it was but the feel to me felt very similar to the red. Off the tee it was quite comparable...maybe a hair higher launch. Short game had tons of feel and for me it played similar to the red which for me is hit and stick with irons and having just enough bite on it when chipping.

It may just be me and it may be that I just like the feel of taylormade balls...I don't know. But during my last couple rounds I wasn't even thinking if this was a comparable ball to the red but looking back on the rounds and a recent round with one of my reds I have left it kind of just crept into my head...does anyone else feel like this?
8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
19* Bridgestone J36
4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
Taylormade Spider Tour Black
Srixon Z Star XV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The TP3 is closer the TP Black LDP (if not identical)
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    storm319 wrote:

The TP3 is closer the TP Black LDP (if not identical)

Storm I would agree with u but its much softer than the old tp black. It just feels like it has some red characteristics in it.
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Members Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    whats wrong with the tp5?

the red was a 4 piece ball the tp3 is 3
    Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade RocketBladez Tour 4-PW TI X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • G-BoneG-Bone Better than most... Members Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've spent a lot of time with both new Pentas. My findings are TP3 is a much improved Black LDP, most noticeably TP3 has a softer feel. TP5 is a very close cousin of Red LDP, with slightly higher launch and better greenside spin.
    PING G410 LST Driver 9º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    TaylorMade M5 Fairway 14º ~ GD Tour AD IZ
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 20º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Callaway Apex 19 Hybrid 23º ~ GD Tour AD HY
    Epon by Endo AF-505 Irons 5–PW ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 50/SS (51º) ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 56/SS (57º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedge 60/SS (63º) - Tour Department 'SG' Grind ~ Rifle Project X
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140)
    Titleist Pro V1 ~ #19
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG ClubWRX Posts: 6,052 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 4, 2012 #6
    I have said in a couple of other threads about the TP3, I really like the TP5. I think it is an improvement over the original Penta. But, this TP3 may be a better ball than we give it credit. I will give this ball a try.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Twitter: @Ed_Settle

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: Callaway Rogue 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Fairway 5w: Callaway Rogue 5/18* GD GP-6X
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4/23* Catalyst 70S
    Irons: Callaway '19 Apex Pro Dot 5-PW Elevate Tour 
    Wedges: Callaway MD 4 52/MD 2 56/Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Toulon Design Garage Palm Beach RG
    Ball: Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB
  • Williams5203Williams5203 Members Posts: 227
    Maxfli Tour XD that Dick's sells is a TP Red Clone. These are made for them by Taylormade, and I can tell you it plays very close to the old red, plus if you can find some stores that still have them in stock (Last year's model) they are only about $19.99 a doz.
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro - Tour Green 65x
    R11 TP - 18.5* - Project X Black 6.5
    Titleist AP2 - 710 - 3-PW - Proj. X Flig 6.0
    Cleveland 588 CB RTX - 50* - S400
    Cleveland CG14 Tour Issues 54/58 - S400
    Scotty Cameron - Studio Newport 1.5

"Greatness Courts Failure, Romeo"
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone said, the TP3 is definitely a softer Black LDP. I'll go so far as to say it is a poor man's Pro V1. I have been very impressed in my limited testing and will probably play it this year.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Maxfli Tour XD that Dick's sells is a TP Red Clone. These are made for them by Taylormade, and I can tell you it plays very close to the old red, plus if you can find some stores that still have them in stock (Last year's model) they are only about $19.99 a doz.

Not even close. The "Red" everyone raves about on this forum is the 4-piece TP Red LDP. All of the Maxfli Tour Series were 3-piece balls only varying in compression (Tour LC, Tour, & Tour XD). While they probably are produced in the same factory as some TaylorMade balls overseas, they have very different designs (not to mention the numerous threads with complaints of the Maxfli's cracking!)

Bottom line, the TP Red LDP is extinct and isn't coming back.
  • JonnybagadonutsJonnybagadonuts Members Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    Iam currently Gaming the TP black LDP ( my favorite ball in the history of golf) and the second i heard a little about the TP3 the first thing that came to mind was " Yay updated TPblack"

I thought the TPblack was butter, I hit a TP3 and i dont think this ball is leaving the bag. Super buttery on all shots ( driver goes for miles) and the greenside spin is

stupendous but not over done with 10 yards of backspin or anything like that.
  • ej002ej002 Unregistered Posts: 5,129 ✭✭
    image/cray.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cry:' />
    storm319 wrote:

Not even close. The "Red" everyone raves about on this forum is the 4-piece TP Red LDP. All of the Maxfli Tour Series were 3-piece balls only varying in compression (Tour LC, Tour, & Tour XD). While they probably are produced in the same factory as some TaylorMade balls overseas, they have very different designs (not to mention the numerous threads with complaints of the Maxfli's cracking!)

Bottom line, the TP Red LDP is extinct and isn't coming back.

image/cray.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cry:' />
  • ubergooberubergoober Members Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have five dozen of the TP Red LDPs and only use them for tournaments. They remind me of the original Rac LTs, a great TM product that got no respect until it was too late. By the way, I still have my original LTs with Rifle 5.5s down in the basement. May have to take them out this week for a few holes with some TP Reds!
    Rogue SZ 9/Oban Kiyoshi HB 55 4
    Original One 13.5/CK Pro Orange 60 S
    M4 3HL/Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 S
    818 H1 21 & 25/KBS Tour 85 Hybrid R+
    Rogue Pro Black 6-AW/$-Taper 115 R+
    Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 55 WRX Lob combo grind/$-Taper 115 R+
    Hi-Toe 60/$-Taper 115 R+
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • mrnoonanmrnoonan Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    ubergoober wrote:

I have five dozen of the TP Red LDPs and only use them for tournaments. They remind me of the original Rac LTs, a great TM product that got no respect until it was too late. By the way, I still have my original LTs with Rifle 5.5s down in the basement. May have to take them out this week for a few holes with some TP Reds!

No way, the origional LTs? I love these sticks. I need to get mine adjusted and reshafted asap. I'm glad someone else is in love with them like me. I'm having to settle with the r7 TPs at the moment.
  • super20dansuper20dan Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i only played one round with a red and fell in love ! best feeling ball i ever hit. too bad its gone
    73 hogan apex
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

The Maxfli Tour XD is a 3-piece ball with 318 dimples. The TP Red was 4-piece ball with 360 dimples. They might play close, but they are very different designs.
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    Konklifer wrote:

As someone said, the TP3 is definitely a softer Black LDP. I'll go so far as to say it is a poor man's Pro V1. I have been very impressed in my limited testing and will probably play it this year.

[url="http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=15739"]Here's an interview of a TaylorMade Rep[/url] re: RBZ, TP3 and TP5. Rocketballz takes up the first half of the interview. TP3 and TP5 are discussed in the second half.

Bottom line: TaylorMade designed the TP3 to mimick the characteristics of the Pro V1 at $12-15 less per dozen.

TP3 spins a little more than TP5 with the full short irons and off the driver. TP5 spins more with the half wedges.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file